• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

RootCause

help gaf!

I recently ordered two extra vita cards, and created two accounts(Europe, & Japan through the web store) for games that aren't available on the NA store. I have a couple of questions about the content manager, backing up on multiple drives, and account activations on PS3.

First the PS3 question. There's one account in my PS3 at the moment(NA), if I create two extra user accounts, and log in with the two newly created psn accounts, will they count as PS3 activations on my main (NA) account, or do they appear on their respective accounts as new PS3? Also, how do I deactivate them if the console were to die?

Backing up content question. I currently don't have a desktop PC, and my laptop has a SSD that I wouldn't like to clog. I've got two external drives, I plan on backing up the games, and save files to the external drive. I would like to know if it's possible to make an extra copy of the files on the second external drive. Can these files be used if one of the two drives were to fail?

Content manager question. How does it handle multiple psn accounts? Does it create separate folders for all three user accounts? is there a limit to how many accounts it can manage?(3-4?)

Jucksalbe

Banned
First the PS3 question. There's one account in my PS3 at the moment(NA), if I create two extra user accounts, and log in with the two newly created psn accounts, will they count as PS3 activations on my main (NA) account, or do they appear on their respective accounts as new PS3? Also, how do I deactivate them if the console were to die?

Activations are saved on the respective account. So additional accounts on your PS3 don't count towards your main account. You can deactivate your console through the account management online, but I think you can only deactivate all registered systems at once (so you have to reactive the ones you still use) and there's some time limit on how often you can use that option, I think it was once every six months.

Backing up content question. I currently don't have a desktop PC, and my laptop has a SSD that I wouldn't like to clog. I've got two external drives, I plan on backing up the games, and save files to the external drive. I would like to know if it's possible to make an extra copy of the files on the second external drive. Can these files be used if one of the two drives were to fail?

Sure, you can just manually copy all the files to the second drive. Whenever you want to use the data from that second drive just set the directories in the setting of the Content Manager to the ones on the second drive.

Content manager question. How does it handle multiple psn accounts? Does it create separate folders for all three user accounts? is there a limit to how many accounts it can manage?(3-4?)

Not sure about a limit (there's probably none), but there's a subdirectory for every account. It uses your account ID (a long string of hexadecimal digits), but as long as you're not looking for specific data, like save games, you don't have to care about that anyway.

Cryo

Neo Member
There was a bug in "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance" where you could fly.
Someone made a video of that and dubbed it with a song, I think it was "A Whole New World" from Aladdin.
Can anyone confirm this?
I've been trying to look for it, but no luck so far...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if I change my time zone on my Xbox will I be able to play Halo 5 early? (eg. switching to Australian time zone from my current Central US time zone)

Corpekata

Banned
There was a bug in "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance" where you could fly.
Someone made a video of that and dubbed it with a song, I think it was "A Whole New World" from Aladdin.
Can anyone confirm this?
I've been trying to look for it, but no luck so far...

Are you sure it's MGR? I remember seeing that with DmC: Devil May Cry.

I have two xbox account.

1. Old one I use to play my 360
2. New one for my X1 because I forgot my old one password

I figured out my old 360 password and would like my old username but I changed my name before and I do not want to pay money to change it so the name can be available for me to use my free name change on my newest account.

Is the best way for me to get the name is just wait the 60 day deactivation for my old account or once it is deactivated will the username be always locked and taken making my efforts useless and never being able to get it to my newest account?

TBiddy

How 'open-world' is Tomb Raider DE?

I really liked the intro-part (linear AF), but I'm not a huge fan of open-world games, and if it gets progressively more open-world, I'm not gonna bother.

Corpekata

Banned
How 'open-world' is Tomb Raider DE?

I really liked the intro-part (linear AF), but I'm not a huge fan of open-world games, and if it gets progressively more open-world, I'm not gonna bother.

Not very.

It has a few areas that connect to other parts that act sort of Hubish which the game somtimes loops you back to and you can explore at times but it is largely very linear.

RootCause

Activations are saved on the respective account. So additional accounts on your PS3 don't count towards your main account. You can deactivate your console through the account management online, but I think you can only deactivate all registered systems at once (so you have to reactive the ones you still use) and there's some time limit on how often you can use that option, I think it was once every six months.

Sure, you can just manually copy all the files to the second drive. Whenever you want to use the data from that second drive just set the directories in the setting of the Content Manager to the ones on the second drive.

Not sure about a limit (there's probably none), but there's a subdirectory for every account. It uses your account ID (a long string of hexadecimal digits), but as long as you're not looking for specific data, like save games, you don't have to care about that anyway.
You're a life saver. Thank you. :)

Bakkus

Are any of the PAL PS2 collection games on the PS3 (Devil May Cry collection, Sly, Team ICO, Zone of the Enders, etc) 50 Hz like some of their PS2 counterparts sadly were in PAL land, or does none of that exist anymore?

Duuke

I'm looking for a quote from a game dev. I believe it's from a Japanese developer and I thought it was from Hideki Kamiya but I can't find it.

It goes something like "Build your world first, and then building a game is easy" or something more eloquent like that.

Anyone help?

When using PS4 remote play on the Vita, can you make the L2/3 and R2/3 "buttons" on the back touchpad larger? I'm playing ToZ through remote play and there are times during battle when you have to press and hold R2 and it'd be nice if the target area was a bit larger.

Prowl

I have a White 3ds xl, it came with Super Mario World already on the system and i have a Blue Crystal 2ds with Pokemon Alpha Sapphire on it, what is the easiest way i can get Pokemon onto the White 3ds??

The system transfer wording has me worried it will delete something, i don't want to lose and i don't think ill be able to get the software back if it does somehow delete it.

Nugg

I have a White 3ds xl, it came with Super Mario World already on the system and i have a Blue Crystal 2ds with Pokemon Alpha Sapphire on it, what is the easiest way i can get Pokemon onto the White 3ds??

The system transfer wording has me worried it will delete something, i don't want to lose and i don't think ill be able to get the software back if it does somehow delete it.

In theory, here's how that works

1. Backup your saves from the white 3ds xl
2. Transfer from blue to white (you'll lose everything that's on the white)
3. Redownload Mario on the white from the store at no cost
4. Restore your saves

Speaking of 3DS

I have a New 3DS

I want to either upgrade to the New 3DS XL or downgrade back to the normal 3DS XL (my hands are waaaay too big for the tiny N3DS and it makes my hand cramp)

I've got a 32 or 64 microSD card in the current N3DS with digital downloaded games if I get my new model can I just put in the SD card into either the N3DSXL or the old 3DS XL and my games are all there or do I have to system transfer?

I want to trade in my current N3DS so I can't transfer stuff with both 3DS

PtM

Banned
Speaking of 3DS

I have a New 3DS

I want to either upgrade to the New 3DS XL or downgrade back to the normal 3DS XL (my hands are waaaay too big for the tiny N3DS and it makes my hand cramp)

I've got a 32 or 64 microSD card in the current N3DS with digital downloaded games if I get my new model can I just put in the SD card into either the N3DSXL or the old 3DS XL and my games are all there or do I have to system transfer?

I want to trade in my current N3DS so I can't transfer stuff with both 3DS
There need to be some online shenanigans happening during the transfer, so you'll need both consoles. You can transfer some data via SD card, so you might be able to do it in the store.

Also, iirc you can't transfer from N3DS back to O3DS. Nintendo's support pages have you covered.

There need to be some online shenanigans happening during the transfer, so you'll need both consoles. You can transfer some data via SD card, so you might be able to do it in the store.

Also, iirc you can't transfer from N3DS back to O3DS. Nintendo's support pages have you covered.

Wait wait so cuz I have a N3DS I can't transfer back to O3DS?! Okay I need to go read these support pages

1) Is there a way to turn off Vita's AVLS by default?

2) Does GoW 2 on Vita ALWAYS have a huge slowdown in the menus? Saw it mentioned in a review, sounds like a deal breaker to be quite honest (no other way to play them for me)

The_Dama

Hi, I'm playing on a PSX emulator on 1 screen and my computer on my second screen (dual monitors). when i click on my desktop monitor to surf the web, the psx emulator window goes inactive.

is there a program where i can still play the emulator while the window is not active?

thanks

1) Is there a way to turn off Vita's AVLS by default?

I've been looking for this for a long time but looks like it is not possible and it will always come back. From whatever info I could gather, it is a restriction imposed by law on some EU territories, as systems from other regions don't seem to be affected.

I've been looking for this for a long time but looks like it is not possible and it will always come back. From whatever info I could gather, it is a restriction imposed by law on some EU territories, as systems from other regions don't seem to be affected.

Bought mine from France. Dammit.

gafneo

Banned
Why are enemies always standing next to explosive barrels?
Why are navigation arrows pointing me into mountains in every open world game? When going around the mountains, there is still no entrance.

Accoun

From googling, it's the volume limit? Yes, it's a EU thing and for some reason Sony seems to be super strict on this. I remember this being a thing with their MP3 players back in the day as well to the annoyance of people. They sounded good, so people often imported them from US.

From googling, it's the volume limit? Yes, it's a EU thing and for some reason Sony seems to be super strict on this. I remember this being a thing with their MP3 players back in the day as well to the annoyance of people. They sounded good, so people often imported them from US.

Yep. Usually I don't complain about it. At home I have it lower than the AVLS limit and on the train it's ok as long as i use headphones with some degree of sound cancelling (over the ear or in ear). The problem came with Broken Age, which for some reason sounds at a lower volume than other games, to the point I can't hear it properly without disabling AVLS.

With my Sony Walkman I voluntarily enabled AVLS, and even wih the limiter it is pretty loud.

Kazzy

I recently came back to England, after living abroad for a couple of years. Basically, my parents used my old 360 as a media device, which meant that the gold subscription still had to be active, which they were paying for via their own credit card.

Fast forward to now, and they no longer use it, but obviously the payments are still coming out for the Gold subscription.

I've tried to access my 360 account, but as I've not logged into it during that time, I have to recover/verify my identity, which I can't seem to do. Even with the correct passwords, I still have to fill out their recovery form, which they never seemed satisfied with. Essentially, I'm locked out of my own account, and I can't really think of a way to get round it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bowlie

Banned
This probably has been answered many times, but:

which game started color coding items based on rarity/quality? Like, orange is better than purple, purple is better than blue, etc.

PtM

Banned
I once bought a used copy of The Last Story (a now rather pricey JRPG) for 25€. The disc is pristine save for one clearly visible point on the outer tracks. The game is on my backlog, not going to play it for some time, so I wonder if I then might run into a read error. I could get the game new for 30€. Should I go for it or am a being paranoid unnecessarily?

Vinneh

Banned
I once bought a used copy of The Last Story (a now rather pricey JRPG) for 25€. The disc is pristine save for one clearly visible point on the outer tracks. The game is on my backlog, not going to play it for some time, so I wonder if I then might run into a read error. I could get the game new for 30€. Should I go for it or am a being paranoid unnecessarily?
This can only be answered by yourself by installing the game and playing it. Good luck

-Horizon-

So my vita is giving me some problems lately. Lots of error codes whenever I try to start a downloaded game.

I've tried rebuilding database once and it worked for a bit but then I got error codes again.

I don't want to believe its the memory card. I hope not.

Should I just go ahead and restore the system? Or should I format the memory card?

And whether I pick one or the other, is there anything I should do beforehand like signing out of psn on the system first or something?

bobawesome

So my vita is giving me some problems lately. Lots of error codes whenever I try to start a downloaded game.

I've tried rebuilding database once and it worked for a bit but then I got error codes again.

I don't want to believe its the memory card. I hope not.

Should I just go ahead and restore the system? Or should I format the memory card?

And whether I pick one or the other, is there anything I should do beforehand like signing out of psn on the system first or something?

I had this same issue back in March with my 32 GB card. It started off with only a few games being affected but a few days later, I couldn't start anything. I would recommend uploading all your save data to PS+ cloud storage if possible and restoring your system and formatting the card. If it persists afterwards, you may have a bigger issue on your hands.

-Horizon-

I had this same issue back in March with my 32 GB card. It started off with only a few games being affected but a few days later, I couldn't start anything. I would recommend uploading all your save data to PS+ cloud storage if possible and restoring your system and formatting the card. If it persists afterwards, you may have a bigger issue on your hands.

Welp, wish me luck then. Gonna try this out.

Not looking forward to downloading all those games again.

Hope it isn't a serious problem :/

Edit: Also, should I log out of psn on the vita or just leave it before restoring? And should I restore first or format first?

bobawesome

Welp, wish me luck then. Gonna try this out.

Not looking forward to downloading all those games again.

Hope it isn't a serious problem :/

Edit: Also, should I log out of psn on the vita or just leave it before restoring? And should I restore first or format first?

Whoops, sorry I missed your question, bud. I'm honestly not sure if signing out beforehand makes a difference or not. If you haven't done so yet, I think you're better off just restoring the system since it should also give you the option to format the memory card afterwards.

Does anyone know if the "Gold Edition" of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare features the 'Exo Zombies' content on-disc? I recently came into possession of the vanilla version, but I was wondering whether I should cough up some extra dough for the bonus stuff on the chance it's actually available in physical form in contrast to a code voucher. I don't play online often enough to warrant carrying for the multi-player maps. Much appreciated for anyone out there with an answer!

I'm considering getting a PS3 in the future after my Original BC model died back on April (Leaving me with a nice frozen backlog) and PS4 has been a major disappointment for me.

Thing is, Should I try to get a second hand / refurbished unit or a brand new one? Also, second or third model?

pixxxelz

I'm considering getting a PS3 in the future after my Original BC model died back on April (Leaving me with a nice frozen backlog) and PS4 has been a major disappointment for me.

Thing is, Should I try to get a second hand / refurbished unit or a brand new one? Also, second or third model?
New one, and second model if you can, the new model is fugly imho.

Top Bottom