• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Palom

My old PS3 is finally starting to get long in the tooth so I plan on getting a new PS3 in a few weeks. I just signed up for PS+ to backup my saves to the cloud but I noticed a good portion of my games are locked so I was wondering can copy protected saves be uploaded to the cloud? If not, is there another way to back them up? It's not a complete deal breaker but I'd rather not lose all of that game progress if I can.
My understanding is that locked saves can't be copied to USB, but can be copied to the cloud and used on a new system. I'm in the same boat, so if you find a definitive answer, please let me know. My PS3 died and I'm trying to save up to get a replacement, and the game I was in the middle of playing has locked saves. I was able to copy them to the cloud just fine, but only one at a time (they are grayed out when using the copy multiple function).

Oreoleo

Bought myself a gtx 1060 there (turns out I had a lot more on a gift card than I thought) so I'm wondering will I also need to upgrade by CPU?

Currently rocking an i7 3770k
Nah man, you're good. I've got a 1060 and been looking at upgrading *to* a 3770k, but I think I'm gonna hold out for the new AMD CPUs. If you're worried about performance at all just give that baby an overclock if you aren't already.

Podge293

Nah man, you're good. I've got a 1060 and been looking at upgrading *to* a 3770k, but I think I'm gonna hold out for the new AMD CPUs. If you're worried about performance at all just give that baby an overclock if you aren't already.

Ah excellent excellent. Now just gotta wait on delivery. Time to fully embrace pc gaming 😂

My understanding is that locked saves can't be copied to USB, but can be copied to the cloud and used on a new system. I'm in the same boat, so if you find a definitive answer, please let me know. My PS3 died and I'm trying to save up to get a replacement, and the game I was in the middle of playing has locked saves. I was able to copy them to the cloud just fine, but only one at a time (they are grayed out when using the copy multiple function).

Ha, stupid me. I didn't think to try to copy them one by one and that worked, thanks a lot. Yeah I knew I couldn't copy them via USB so that's why I went ahead and got PSPlus so I could move them to the cloud.

azyless

Because I'm a dork regarding things like this:

Can I make a US PSN account and use the EU card I use for my EU account to buy stuff of the US PSN store?
You can't. You can circumvent this by buying PSN cards off amazon.com but even amazon has begun being annoying with this, as you need to set your country/address to an american one every time you want to change store.

What recent RPG should I choose for my 8y old kid for his first experience with this kind of game?
I've put him to play both xenoblade chonicles because there are my favourites but a bit only, they are way too much mechanics in them and the stories have some... dead corpses. I would like a nice environment and a really really good story.

Ignore me if wrong thread.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You can't. You can circumvent this by buying PSN cards off amazon.com but even amazon has begun being annoying with this, as you need to set your country/address to an american one every time you want to change store.

Shit. I really just wanted to play the Bloodrayne games again, as they are not available on EU PSN. It'll be less hassle for me to just buy the PS2 versions off Amazon UK then :/

What recent RPG should I choose for my 8y old kid for his first experience with this kind of game?
I've put him to play both xenoblade chonicles because there are my favourites but a bit only, they are way too much mechanics in them and the stories have some... dead corpses. I would like a nice environment and a really really good story.

Ignore me if wrong thread.

Costume Quest, any Paper Mario game, World of Final Fantasy.

Also on mobile I'd recommend Final Fantasy Brave Exvius or Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes, which are fun free RPGs without too much F2P BS.

Pokemaniac

Costume Quest, any Paper Mario game, World of Final Fantasy.

Also on mobile I'd recommend Final Fantasy Brave Exvius or Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes, which are fun free RPGs without too much F2P BS.

I really wouldn't recommend Sticker Star or Color Splash, especially not as RPGs (regardless of what you think of their quality, they are really more adventure games with vestigial RPG mechanics at this point). Super Paper Mario, while a much better game then either of those 2, is also a weird hybrid of platformer and RPG.

I really wouldn't recommend Sticker Star or Color Splash, especially not as RPGs (regardless of what you think of their quality, they are really more adventure games with vestigial RPG mechanics at this point). Super Paper Mario, while a much better game then either of those 2, is also a weird hybrid of platformer and RPG.

That would make them pretty good first RPG-lite games for a child then, no?

Pokemaniac

That would make them pretty good first RPG-lite games for a child then, no?

If the RPG mechanics weren't literally the worst parts of Sticker Star, and Color Splash, then maybe. Sticker Star and Color Splash would probably have been received much better if they actually had the balls to remove the RPG mechanics completely, since then the core game mechanics probably wouldn't clash with each other so badly. I really don't see how games that are so confused about what genre they want to be to the point of it being detrimental to their design would be a very good introduction to the genre.

I could see Super Paper Mario working, though. I was more just pointing that out for clarity's sake.

Chinbo37

Is there a thread to ask questions about emulators on Android?

I have a Samsung S7 and I wanted to try some SNES roms.

I researched online and it seemed like every site recommended SNES 9x EX+. I tried it and i found it stuttered pretty noticeably when trying a simple RPG.

I also tried the same emulator on my tablet (Galaxy Tab Pro) and also got the same stutter playing a different game. I tried to mess with refresh rates and frame skip but it only made it worse.

I ended up trying John's SNES Emulator or whatever its called and it ran perfectly in High Peformance mode.

I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong as how can literally every site I saw recommend SNES 9x EX+ but it doesnt run well on new fast Android tablets and phones?

John's SNES Emulator is fine but there were a couple more graphical options with SNES 9x EX+ I would love to be able to mess around with.

(Edited)

I have absolutely no idea what your answer is, but I have my own question regarding this; is this kind of post bannable? :/
No, using emulators is not illegal, immoral or against NeoGAF's TOS.

Downloading or sharing ROM images is illegal in many countries, although that is a separate issue. When in doubt it is better to assume that the poster has a physical copy of the game he/she is trying to play.

Chinbo37

I have absolutely no idea what your answer is, but I have my own question regarding this; is this kind of post bannable? :/

You know there are entire threads dedicated to retroarch, raspberry pis as emulation machines, dolphin, cemu etc right?

Minamu

I meant no offense, I'm aware that emulators are okay to talk about. I was just more curious about the roms and the downloading of such. It wasn't meant as an accusation of foul play.

PtM

Banned
I meant no offense, I'm aware that emulators are okay to talk about. I was just more curious about the roms and the downloading of such. It wasn't meant as an accusation of foul play.
Rule of thumb: Emulators are okay, the download of ROMs is not.

Chinbo37

I never mentioned the downloading of roms. I take my GAF membership serious and I know the rules.

If anyone actually has an answer, or maybe a better thread that I could try let me know. I don't want to have to try reddit!

Bamboo

A bit unrelated. But I'm looking for the symbol they always use to announce crossovers. It looks like an X but it's really slick. More like the plus + symbol only rotated 45 degrees. Pictures would be great. Or the sign itself.

edit: okay I found an image. But I still don't know how it's called and how to look at it.
kSKpTld.png

PtM

Banned
A bit unrelated. But I'm looking for the symbol they always use to announce crossovers. It looks like an X but it's really slick. More like the plus + symbol only rotated 45 degrees. Pictures would be great. Or the sign itself.
On Linux it's AltGr+Shift+Break, I believe.

I just started playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Steam, and if I ALT+TAB out of the game (to look up a question about the game or just to take a short break and web browse a bit) it will leave full-screen mode and put me in windowed mode, and I can't go back to full-screen mode unless I quit and restart the game. Any way to make it stop doing that?

RBIYF

Neo Member
Can Mass Effect 1 be treated as a self-contained story? If I only opt to play Mass Effect 1 does the main story and objectives presented in the game feel mostly resolved by the end?

Can Mass Effect 1 be treated as a self-contained story? If I only opt to play Mass Effect 1 does the main story and objectives presented in the game feel mostly resolved by the end?

Only in the same way the original Star Wars would be. The Empire still exists and threatens the galaxy there, and the Reapers still exist and threaten the galaxy in Mass Effect.

Kssio_Aug

There was an entire year I didn't play PS4. I came back past week and the XMB has changed quite a lot - which I enjoyed (folders YAY!).

However, how do I check my recordings now? I can't find them anymore. Before I remember there was an option near my profile picture where I could search by game title, but it seems there's not an option anymore.

Taffer

There was an entire year I didn't play PS4. I came back past week and the XMB has changed quite a lot - which I enjoyed (folders YAY!).

However, how do I check my recordings now? I can't find them anymore. Before I remember there was an option near my profile picture where I could search by game title, but it seems there's not an option anymore.

There's a 'Capture Gallery' option on the XMB you can launch that will display all screenshots and videos you've taken. It's one of the default apps like the web browser or spotify so it should be on the top level of all the folders (if any), same line as the option to launch whatever disc is in the drive.

Kssio_Aug

There's a 'Capture Gallery' option on the XMB you can launch that will display all screenshots and videos you've taken. It's one of the default apps like the web browser or spotify so it should be on the top level of all the folders (if any), same line as the option to launch whatever disc is in the drive.

Just saw your answer! Thank you, will check that out!! =)

Kssio_Aug

Taffer, thank you, found the app... didn't gave attention to it before! lol

Another question regarding the PS4 though: if I connect my Youtube and / or Facebook account to it, will people see my YT or FB profiles? Or will it only connect to them so I can make uploads and such?

shinkai

edit: okay I found an image. But I still don't know how it's called and how to look at it.

Not sure if I'm on the right track but... I believe it is commonly referred to as "cross". Such as Street Fighter x Tekken is pronounced "Street Fighter cross Tekken". Same goes for the Namco x Capcom game on the PS2 it was also pronounced "Namco cross Capcom". So basically if you ever see it in any game title it's just pronounced as cross.

Roussow

I got a question about frame rates on pc. So if I've only got a monitor that caps out at at 60hz refresh rate -- and I'm running a game unlocked at say, 130fps or something. Obviously it's only going to output a maximum of 60 to the eye, here's the thing I'm wondering though, unlocked frame rates are seemingly less desirable than locked ones in a lot of cases, the inconsistency is the big issue there. So even though the monitor is only ever outputting up to 60, will I notice any weird stuttering inconsistency from a frame rate fluctuating from say 80 - 130fps?

Makai

Did we ever figure out why that gamecube controller had no buttons?

I got a question about frame rates on pc. So if I've only got a monitor that caps out at at 60hz refresh rate -- and I'm running a game unlocked at say, 130fps or something. Obviously it's only going to output a maximum of 60 to the eye, here's the thing I'm wondering though, unlocked frame rates are seemingly less desirable than locked ones in a lot of cases, the inconsistency is the big issue there. So even though the monitor is only ever outputting up to 60, will I notice any weird stuttering inconsistency from a frame rate fluctuating from say 80 - 130fps?
Causes screen tearing.

I'm trying to connect my PS4 slim to my Epson EBX11 projector. I've connected my Xbox one to it before using a HDMI/VGA converter and that worked fine. But when I connect my PS4 and turn it on all I get is a blue screen that goes black every few seconds. Can anyone help a guy out?

mclem

I'm curious if this is an optical illusion or if there's something going on internally with my TV:

I'm using my laptop plugged - via HDMI - into a TV. It works for gaming pretty well.

Recently I started playing an old adventure game, which is rather low on options and will only run in a fixed-size window.

Some sections of that adventure game are in dark areas, so a number of interactible things are shrouded in shadow.

However:

It seems noticeably darker (and harder to pick out detail), if the screen content *around* the window is white. I took to actually setting a pure black desktop for the purposes of playing this game, and it was *considerably* easier to pick things out in the darkened area.

Now, this *might* be an optical illusion - I'm well aware that the eye's perception of an object can be affected by what's framing it. The thing that makes me doubt that is the fact that it goes as far as becoming genuinely hard to pick out detail with the white background, rather than just looking darker.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the TV itself is processing the image in any way that balances the levels across the screen to some extent that's having a knock-on effect of losing some colour depth at the low end.

Umibozu

I'm assuming he means one of the weird prototype ones that was shown a while ago, that appeared to be a star with nothing interactible on it.

Edit: This:
I think he's talking about a gamecube controller with its face buttons removed that was shown in the background of a montage during a Microsoft conference. It became a kyle bosman inside joke.

I'm looking for games like Silent Hill, but without the combat. I watched Super Best Friends play through Silent Hill 2 & 3, and I found the puzzles, exploration, and the dark story very interesting, but the combat seemed mundane and repetitive. Any platform will do, even mobile. Any suggestions?

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions, Bamboo. I'll look into those.

Top Bottom