• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Bamboo

I'm looking for games like Silent Hill, but without the combat. I watched Super Best Friends play through Silent Hill 2 & 3, and I found the puzzles, exploration, and the dark story very interesting, but the combat seemed mundane and repetitive. Any platform will do, even mobile. Any suggestions?
Silent Hill is a masterclass of survival horror, there are few things like it. Maybe check out Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (preferably the Wii version). It's a reimagination of the first entry, but instead of fights there are chase scenes.

Maybe try Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It's exploration based horror, there's no combat but enemies that you have to run away from. It's a different kind of horror though. Less psychological, but more on the gothic horror side. Oh and it's first person and super fucking scary. Haven't tried the other games of the same developer (Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and Soma), heard mixed things about the first, and great about the latter.

Another recommendation is Fatal Frame 2 / Project Zero 2. In terms of gameplay it's very similar to Silent Hill. This time it's a ghost story that resolves around strange cults and human sacrifice. You have to fight with a camera and put the ghosts on film (like spirit photography). Usually it's third person, for the combat you switch to first person. I found the combat to be more enjoyable than in Silent Hill, since it's combo based and much more reliable on timing. But there are still plenty of puzzles, exploration and creepy and sad side stories. Don't know about the other entries, but from what i've heard the second is the pinnacle of the series.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm curious if this is an optical illusion or if there's something going on internally with my TV:

I'm using my laptop plugged - via HDMI - into a TV. It works for gaming pretty well.

Recently I started playing an old adventure game, which is rather low on options and will only run in a fixed-size window.

Some sections of that adventure game are in dark areas, so a number of interactible things are shrouded in shadow.

However:

It seems noticeably darker (and harder to pick out detail), if the screen content *around* the window is white. I took to actually setting a pure black desktop for the purposes of playing this game, and it was *considerably* easier to pick things out in the darkened area.

Now, this *might* be an optical illusion - I'm well aware that the eye's perception of an object can be affected by what's framing it. The thing that makes me doubt that is the fact that it goes as far as becoming genuinely hard to pick out detail with the white background, rather than just looking darker.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the TV itself is processing the image in any way that balances the levels across the screen to some extent that's having a knock-on effect of losing some colour depth at the low end.
Framing something in bright whiteness can make it inherently darker in appearance due to how your eyes take in light. However your TV may also have an auto-brightness/contrast setting enabled which affects the image as well (check your TVs picture settings for anything labelled "Auto-something" and adjust).

In short, the answer is probably yes to your question..

mclem

Not sure this is the right place.

Can anyone recommend a game like Legendary Super Warriors?

I'm not familiar with LSW, but after scanning through, I think Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories might not be a million miles away, although that's real-time. I'm wondering if something closer to Magic: The Gathering or Hearthstone might actually be more like what you're after, even though it's no direct match.

Ted

I play games at once or twice a month with a group of old friends. Some still play games regularly, some only play games in this group nowadays, some never played games at all except in our little sessions. We're all heading into or through our forties and frankly sometimes learning new stuff is way too much effort slotted in during a 60 hour work week, family stuff and just general living.

Are there any simple but fun button mashing local multiplayer games (competitive mostly) that are easy to explain and subsequently pick up available on the current gen console generations? Ideally PS4 (any format) but we could manage PS3 (any format), XB1 (physical ideally) or X360 (physical ideally).

Ideally I'd love a track and field game where some events are played by one player at a time (say pole vault - abababababababab, dpad down, dpad up ... wait ... dpad right) for pass the pad fun and others that involve multiple players at the same time (say 110m hurdles - abababababababab, dpad up, abababababababab, dpad up).

mclem

I play games at once or twice a month with a group of old friends. Some still play games regularly, some only play games in this group nowadays, some never played games at all except in our little sessions. We're all heading into or through our forties and frankly sometimes learning new stuff is way too much effort slotted in during a 60 hour work week, family stuff and just general living.

Are there any simple but fun button mashing local multiplayer games (competitive mostly) that are easy to explain and subsequently pick up available on the current gen console generations?

Ideally I'd love a track and field game where some events are played by one player at a time (say pole vault - abababababababab, dpad down, dpad up ... wait ... dpad right) for pass the pad fun and others that involve multiple players at the same time (say 110m hurdles - abababababababab, dpad up, abababababababab, dpad up).

They seem to have fallen out of favour as a genre of late, but - while I've not tried them - I'd imagine the various Olympic games ('Serious' and Mario+Sonic) must at least fit slightly, surely?

Bishi Bashi Special might fit the bill (if somewhat wackier than the immediate thing you described), and that's a PS1 classic on PSN.

Ted

Thanks for the comments folks, very much appreciated. I've added an edit to my post re. ideal platforms.

Have you played Wii Party U? It's filled with simple multiplayer games that are easy to grasp and fun to play with friends/family.

No access to a Wii U anymore and a few of the folk concerned would rather play something with a less colourful/Nintendo art-style (not my criteria I hasten to add).

They seem to have fallen out of favour as a genre of late, but - while I've not tried them - I'd imagine the various Olympic games ('Serious' and Mario+Sonic) must at least fit slightly, surely?

Mario and Sonic stuff is probably out due to available platforms and I don't think there is an Olynmpics game on current gen platforms. 2012 had one of PS3 but I can't find a Rio 2016 game. I am a self confessed idiot though so may have missed it.

Bishi Bashi Special might fit the bill (if somewhat wackier than the immediate thing you described), and that's a PS1 classic on PSN.

Hmm, not heard of this. I'll YouTube it and come back to you. SFW?

Thanks again folks.

Nope, Mario correct pronunciation is:

Mah - ri (that sounds like the ty in digity) - o

that quote is from 2010...

but yeah, both Mario and Samus Aran are spoken out loud in their games, so I consider that canon.

It's a me, Mario - famous line from Mario 64. Mar (rhymes with Far) ee o
As for Aran, I think it was Prime 3, but someone says her last name Erin. Samus is spoken out loud in Smash Bros when selecting her

RootCause

I'm not familiar with LSW, but after scanning through, I think Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories might not be a million miles away, although that's real-time. I'm wondering if something closer to Magic: The Gathering or Hearthstone might actually be more like what you're after, even though it's no direct match.
I'll check them out. thanks

Ted

Hmm, not heard of this. I'll YouTube it and come back to you. SFW?

This looks silly but brilliant. So basically perfect. Definitely picking this one up. Thanks mclem!

Also... Dear GAF indie devs, please make a cheap MP 2d track and field game please for release on PSN. Thanks. Yours in anticipation, Ted.

This looks silly but brilliant. So basically perfect. Definitely picking this one up. Thanks mclem!

Also... Dear GAF indie devs, please make a cheap MP 2d track and field game please for release on PSN. Thanks. Yours in anticipation, Ted.

Have you played Niddhog?

It's a fantastic game.

I broke it out a party a couple years ago and there were plenty of non gamers there who were able to pick it up and get good in a couple of minutes. It also allows for tournaments for up 8 people.

Available on PS4.

GAMETA

Banned
that quote is from 2010...

but yeah, both Mario and Samus Aran are spoken out loud in their games, so I consider that canon.

It's a me, Mario - famous line from Mario 64. Mar (rhymes with Far) ee o
As for Aran, I think it was Prime 3, but someone says her last name Erin. Samus is spoken out loud in Smash Bros when selecting her

Oops, my bad... I didn't notice the thread was so old, hehe.

Hope this is the appropriate thread for this...

My 64GB Vita card just up and apparently died on me out of the blue. I recently read that the "big" cards aren't actually recommended for this exact reason. If that's the case, what is the best size to buy? Literally ALL my vita games are digital and I hate the constant storage management so multiple cards sounds like even less fun, but it sounds like that's the route I have to go if I don't want this to happen again? Wallet's not happy either way, but I have to buy something.

Hope this is the appropriate thread for this...

My 64GB Vita card just up and apparently died on me out of the blue. I recently read that the "big" cards aren't actually recommended for this exact reason. If that's the case, what is the best size to buy? Literally ALL my vita games are digital and I hate the constant storage management so multiple cards sounds like even less fun, but it sounds like that's the route I have to go if I don't want this to happen again? Wallet's not happy either way, but I have to buy something.

I've never heard that about big cards.

I only have a 32gb one though, no problems here.

Ted

Have you played Niddhog?

It's a fantastic game.

I broke it out a party a couple years ago and there were plenty of non gamers there who were able to pick it up and get good in a couple of minutes. It also allows for tournaments for up 8 people.

Available on PS4.

Thanks for the suggestion 2bc. :)

One of my favourites. Sort of popular with the group but not universally loved.

My 64GB Vita card just up and apparently died on me out of the blue. I recently read that the "big" cards aren't actually recommended for this exact reason.

Is it not recommended simply so you don't lose everything in one go or a technical/robustness thing?

Also, that sucks man sorry to hear it.

Is it not recommended simply so you don't lose everything in one go or a technical/robustness thing?

My understanding is that it's something to do with the actual technical aspects. I don't know if the device can't handle the larger size well or if there's some kind of defect in the cards themselves. What I read is that it's pretty common for them to be flaky or suddenly outright die like mine did (it's also had barely any use in the last 2 years since I bought it new, so it was pretty upsetting to see it just stop working without warning).

Costia

Anyone still playing animal crossing new leaf?
Want to visit some towns but looks like most forums/threads are quite dead for a while now...

NateDog

Anyone still playing animal crossing new leaf?
Want to visit some towns but looks like most forums/threads are quite dead for a while now...

I think it's still pretty active, my GF's been playing it for a while and still meets new people all the time on it.

maxcriden

I'm having a weird lag issue on my Wii U GamePad this morning. I haven't turned it on in a few weeks. It's pretty low battery. I went into the eShop and it seemed to freeze, same with one of my home screen folders. It's like I pressed a touch button and then it hung up for a while and eventually went through to the selected screen. One of the 2-3 times this happened it went to a blank eShop screen and never ended up going anywhere. Could this be a hardware or touchscreen issue or is probably the low battery...or...I don't really know what?

I'm having a weird lag issue on my Wii U GamePad this morning. I haven't turned it on in a few weeks. It's pretty low battery. I went into the eShop and it seemed to freeze, same with one of my home screen folders. It's like I pressed a touch button and then it hung up for a while and eventually went through to the selected screen. One of the 2-3 times this happened it went to a blank eShop screen and never ended up going anywhere. Could this be a hardware or touchscreen issue or is probably the low battery...or...I don't really know what?
Does this happen only on the Gamepad? What about on the TV? What happens if you don't use the Gamepad at all?

Nose Master

Having a problem with PS4->Youtube streaming. It used to work just fine, now I get an error message. "To start broadcasting on Youtube, you must agree to the Youtube terms to enable live streaming." When I click on "go to Youtube website", it just opens a browser that says I've already enabled this feature.

Gnilres

Anyone know if the PS4 port (I think it's based of the PC port) of Final Fantasy VII has any major changes from the original PS1 release?

Any censorship of scenes/dialogue, updated localization, etc?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Anyone know if the PS4 port (I think it's based of the PC port) of Final Fantasy VII has any major changes from the original PS1 release?

Any censorship of scenes/dialogue, updated localization, etc?

It's based on the PC port which again is based on the old PC version which had some small changes to localization, e.g. it actually says "This guy is sick". I don't think it had anything censored. I don't think they changed anything major either.
Of course, it also added a few features from the (new) PC version like the cheats to get a full health/limit break gauge.

I currently have a Nintendo Switch preorded at Gamestop.com and Bestbuy.com. I'll eventually have to cancel one of them.

Shipping at BestBuy is free, whereas Gamestop charges $15. However, I seem to recall instances of BestBuy randomly cancelling preorders, though I can't remember when or why. I definitely don't want my order to be cancelled.

What should I do? Is my Gamestop preorder substantially safer than BestBuy?

Ted

I've been playing Watch_Dogs 2 recently and really enjoy the sailing races. It's pretty simplistic but I find it kind of fun finding different routes around the courses. Are there any arcade* sailing games (preferably on console)?

Costia

What's the point in a reset button when you can just press the power button twice?
Never knew you could do that.
On old computers the power button was an actual power button that cuts the power from your PC. Pressing it twice wouldn't be a reset, it might be a dead power supply.
And the reset was just a reset. I think it was connected to the motherboard.
So I guess it's for people like me who got used to that setup.

bronson

Weird one, but I've been trying really hard to find out what game this forum post is talking about:

Back when the Xbox came out, we were working on a launch title. It involved cartoon characters with four fingers. Japanese localization forced us to remodel every single character in the game with five fingers (four fingers plus thumb) or we couldn't release the game in their region.

This resulted in a huge effort on our part to re-model every character when we were already done with the game. It also presented an even bigger problem because we had several pre-rendered cutscenes showing the characters with four fingers. We couldn't re-render these scenes, and we actually had to put a blur filter over the hands of the characters in the cutscenes to get it to pass Japanese certification.

So, an Original Xbox launch game with cartoony characters that were given five fingers for the Japanese release? I really thought it was Mad Dash Racing for a while there, but when I looked up JP footage the characters all had four fingers. Fuzion Frenzy wasn't released in Japan, and Blinx has five fingers in the Western release. Any ideas?

Weird one, but I've been trying really hard to find out what game this forum post is talking about:

So, an Original Xbox launch game with cartoony characters that were given five fingers for the Japanese release? I really thought it was Mad Dash Racing for a while there, but when I looked up JP footage the characters all had four fingers. Fuzion Frenzy wasn't released in Japan, and Blinx has five fingers in the Western release. Any ideas?

Can't help you I'm afraid but you could try asking in this thread ->

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=360236&page=1

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I've heard this story before (seeing it being 9 years old I'm not surprised), and now it angers me I cannot remember which game they were talking about.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm wondering - why is Smash Bros Melee still so revered? It seems like it's the fan / scene favourite.

I haven't played either of the newer ones but I'm wondering why they're not as loved.

tiijj

What's the point in a reset button when you can just press the power button twice?

According to wikipedia.

On game consoles, many times it is simply a software signal. For example, on the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube, it instructs the currently running software (game or console BIOS) to restart forcibly, usually fading out the volume and/or screen brightness for a cleaner effect. On the PlayStation 2, the button is by default programmed to restart the whole system, but, especially on games using the Network Adapter/HDD, it might clean up the connection, unmount hard drive partitions, and remove power from the hard drive before restarting the machine. In the latter case, many times it switches off the system instead of restarting it (the reset button is actually also the on/off button, but under normal circumstances, the button needs to be held for 2–4 seconds to turn the system off).

I'm wondering - why is Smash Bros Melee still so revered? It seems like it's the fan / scene favourite.

I haven't played either of the newer ones but I'm wondering why they're not as loved.

Super Smash Bros. Melee has a faster pace and a higher skill ceiling so many people think it's more fun to watch and play over the other games.

Accoun

Never knew you could do that.
On old computers the power button was an actual power button that cuts the power from your PC. Pressing it twice wouldn't be a reset, it might be a dead power supply.
And the reset was just a reset. I think it was connected to the motherboard.
So I guess it's for people like me who got used to that setup.
These days I think you can just rebind both. Not sure about the reset, but my power button hibernates the computer instead and if I want to shut it down, I do it from the start menu.

Top Bottom