• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks the Vampire/Darkstalkers' series 20th anniverasry

Tizoc

2c5f1ab3405e7de9da13abf5b01712ef.jpg

Let it never be said that Capcom's games during the 90s didn't have some of the best animations in the industry at the time, with Darksatlkers (and their Marvel fighting games) being testament to that.

In 1994, as part of the new games running on the new CPS2 arcade hardware, Darkstalkers was one of the first games released on the board that showcased Capcom's great skills in 2D animation.

Despite its re-releases only 2 games cover the plot of the series, but first here's a quick breakdown of the main games released by Capcom

10003801.jpg

Darkstalkers aka Vampire in Japan

The first game in the series introduced much of the known cast, going for a horror inspired fighting game was a nice idea, and in-game Capcom outdid themselves with the animation and stage design.

Gameplay-wise it doesn't seem to have caught on, as if you search for ANY high level Darkstalkers footage, you'll find sets for Vampire Hunter and Savior only. It is however among the first Capcom games to utilize the chain combo mechanic which would become common in many of Capcom's crossover fighting games.

The characters introduced in this game are
Morrigan (Succubus)
Dimitri (Vampire)
Felicia (Cat woman)
Jon Talbain/Gallon (Werewolf)
Anakaris (Mummified pharaoh)
Aulbath/Rikuo (Merman)
Lord Raptor/Zabel Zabrock (Zombie)
Sasquatch
Victor (Frankenstein's monster)
Bishamon (Undead Samurai)

Huitzil/Phobos (Terminator)
Pyron (God-like alien/cosmic being)

The game's plot would be re-used in its updated successor, which involved Pyron wanting to add Earth to his collection, and Dimitri wanting to find out who the strongest Darkstalker is.
Or something, I don't really remember nor care for the main plot TBH.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/capcom/10014501.jpg
Darkstalkers' Revenge AKA Vampire Hunter in Japan

This update changed much of the gameplay mechanics and introduced a multi-stocked power bar, allowing players to hold up to 9 stocks.

It would be better to mention here that another introduction or innovation that the Darkstalkers series offered were 'powered up' special moves. Commonly each character in a fighter would have special moves and super moves, but Darkstalkers allowed players to perform stronger variations of their special moves at the cost of meter for some extra damage.
In addition, the Darktalkers series are among the few Capcom fighters, where super moves do not have 'freeze frames' when performed.
Speaking of which, it is perhaps the only Capcom fighting game series where various supers had needlessly complex inputs, like Dimitri's supers.

Vampire Hunter introduced 2 new characters along with making Pyron and Phobos playable-
Donovan
Lei-Lei/Hsein-ko

DarkArt.jpg

Darkstalkers 3 aka Vampire Savior in Japan

Vampire Savior reworked some of the elements of Hunter becoming more fast paced, and going so far as to allow players to hold up to 99 stocks of meter (not that they'd ever need that much).
One major alteration is that after a player is defeated in a round, the victor does not recover all their health and the match continues straight into Round 2, etc.
To make up for that, recoverable health was added letting players recover a small portion of their life bar after taking damage.

Vampire Savior si the most known ver. of the game and some of the most iconic stages in a video game to date
04.gif

What's that on its foot?

The game introduced 4 characters:
Lilith
B. B. Hood/Bulleta
Jedah Dohma
Q-Bee

Taking place years after the previous game, the plot of Darkstalkers 3 involved Jedah, being displeased with the state of the world, wanting to unite all souls into one vessel.
Among the characters intended to be in the game were Phobos and Pyron, along with Anita, the little girl that would follow Donovan from Vampire Hunter, but Capcom never got around to adding them into the game upon its arcade release, but some basic data remains in the game's code of them.

After VS' release, Capcom released 2 other Darkstalkers games on Japanese arcades, which were mainly gameplay alterations:
Vampire Hunter 2 which featured the entire cast of Vampire Hunter sans the new ones introduced in Savior.
Vampire Savior 2 added the missing 3 characters that didn't make into Savior but removed a few of the original cast.

Among the many re-releases over the years, the following are considered the recommended titles:
The Dreamcast ver. of the game
The PS2 Compilation release
The PSP game Darkstalkers Chaos Tower
The recent PSN/XBL Darkstalkers compilation release

HG101's entry on the Darkstalkers series
Darkstalkers & the 12 principals of animation
THE must have Darkstalkers artbook

What are you favourite, characters, themes and stages in the series?
500px-Pyron.jpg

For me, #1 would most likely be Pyron, and to that extent, his VH stage and theme are my favorite in the series.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
And Capcom will celebrate this occasion by announcing a new Dark- hmm? You say that the re release didn't sell well enough Capcom? Oh well it won't be the first time Capcom skips another anniversary celebration.

Darkstalkers are not dead

yGray

Banned
I always liked the idea of Werewolf learning martial arts to try and tame his curse- only to lead him to being stronger and more violent as a beast.

Tizoc

And Capcom will celebrate this occasion by announcing a new Dark- hmm? You say that the re release didn't sell well enough Capcom? Oh well it won't be the first time Capcom skips another anniversary celebration.

Darkstalkers are not dead

Ono prob. wants to release a new game, but Capcpom aren't open about it.
Maybe we'll see something at Gamescom :V

OK if anyone can fid a GIF of Anakaris' Vampire Hunter stage, please post it because I can't seem to find it lol.

Skilletor

One of the best fighting series ever.

I can always count on Tizoc for threads about fighting games I care about. :p

If anybody would like to play, I'm always up for games. I'm not very good, but love the series. Skillzilla81 on PSN/XBL and GGPO (is it still on there?)

My favorite character is def. Talbain. I've been trying to learn Magbeeto, but I just don't play enough to be anywhere near decent.

I have the psp game on Vita and it looks GORGEOUS. Just insane how Capcom went from SF2 to this. I have the artbooks, xbla game and back in the day had the import Saturn release of VS and then the PS2 collection. Love this series. It's heartbreaking to think Ono got as far as that CG teaser and constant talks about doing it, but I honestly doubt it'll be the next Capcom fighting game. He's been saying recently on twitter he's working on something, but I'm sure it's SF5.

drotahorror

Favorite Character(s) - Talbain and Jedah.

I miss this series a lot. I bought the collection on PSP and the re-release on PS3 (the one where capcom said they'd pay attn to the series if people bought it). Hell, they'll probably say they gauged interest by seeing how many replies this thread got and then say no one was interested.

I'm pretty sure Darkstalkers is dead. A shame too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The thread title is very appropriate for a Capcom thread.

Darkstalkers is fantastic. I'm not optimistic there's anything over the horizon, but I'd be excited if there was.

Silky

Banned
Amazing little game. Only played the PS1 releases--never touched an arcade cabinet of it. Glad I bought Resurrection, though.

Jon Talbain is my favorite character alongside Lord Raptor. I loooove werewolf/lycan mythology.

I've got to chime in and say that even though I've played little of the series I've always dug the diverse character design and overall theme.

God, I love this series. Probably my favorite fighting game cast, and Vampire Savior is easily my favorite fighting game ever. Didn't really think much of the series at first because of Morrigan's role as the poster girl of the franchise, as her design never really did a whole lot for me, but when I was introduced to more of the cast in games like Pocket Fighter, Puzzle Fighter, and MvC2, I decided I should give it a shot, and I started loving it more and more from there.

Favorite character in the series is Hsien-Ko/Lei Lei. First played as her in Puzzle Fighter just because I thought that Jiang Shi are cool looking, then continued playing as her in Pocket Fighter, and eventually the Vampire games. Her super offensive playstyle ended up being really fun so I kept playing her in Vampire Savior from there. Still think she has cool costume design, a neat blend of creepy and goofy animations, and a really interesting moveset. After the bump in the road that was MvC3, surely she will eventually return to her former glory :(

I love pretty much all the stages in the series, to be honest. Lots of cool visual quirks and neat concepts, but special shoutouts go to Tower of Arrogance. I love cityscapes at night, and fighting on the side of a building with helicopters and cars below makes it even better. Favorite stage theme is maybe Vanity Paradise. Probably not the most fitting theme for fighting, but it's just super cozy.

I certainly hope to see a new entry in the series, but I'm not even sure what I'd want to see in such a sequel. As long as it keeps what makes the series awesome, like super fast, offensive gameplay, great character design, and amazing animation, then I'm pretty much game for whatever. Not holding my breath, though, but that's okay. The currently released games are certainly going to last me quite a while longer.

Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior was one of my first fighters and I still love the game to this day. The speed, crazy character designs, and the mechanics are just so great. Learning how to play the game is hard but it is so satisfying once you do. The little things, like landing unblockables with Raptor and Bishamon, just feel SO good.

I like pretty much all of the characters but my favorite is probably Jedah. He's just such a cool character and a good Jedah is amazingly fun to watch with the various shenanigans he can pull off. I'm better with Raptor and Hsien-ko but Jedah is just awesome. I did want to learn BB Hood/Bulleta but she's just too difficult for me. Sako makes her look so easy.

GrayDock

Let it never be said that Capcom's games during the 90s didn't have some of the best animations in the industry at the time, with Darksatlkers (and their Marvel fighting games) being testament to that.

In 1994, as part of the new games running on the new CPS2 arcade hardware, Darkstalkers was one of the first games released on the board that showcased Capcom's great skills in 2D animation.

The 90's were an amazing time to go to the arcades... Capcom and SNK on it's prime arcade wise. Lucky guys (like me) those who lived that age.

Would kill for a Darkstalker in the MvsC3 engine....

.la1n

The greatest fighting game series ever created.

edit: Resurrection online is solid, just wish more people played :|

TreIII

Great first post, and another wonderful topic.

My take on sequel hopes: At this point, I don't think I'd want modern Capcom to make a sequel. Most of Capcom's new fighting game output in the last generation didn't do much for me, barring TvC. So I guess for me, seeing what Capcom does with a possible SF5 in a few years might do the most to dictate whether I would even relish the notion of them reaching back to other properties like Vampire or Justice Gakeun/Rival Schools.

Xis

I player a ton of 2 on my Saturn; and the PSP collection is a large part of why I bought a PSP. Tonight I think I'm going to get the digital copy so I can play on my Vita.

Question: I know the PSP version has all the characters from all three games, and all the endings, but does it have all the backgrounds? It seemed like there weren't a lot of stages.

Edit: think I answered my own question with some Googling: "hold start while selecting a stage to play in an alternately colored version of that stage."

Edit Edit: looks like the color swap just covers the differences between the various releases of Darkstalkers 3; the stages from the first two games are missing.

Ribbon

That is some great artwork in the OP.

Bishamon is my guy, I love his look and his special moves even if he isn't the best. If anyone wants to play Ressurection on ps3 feel free to add me, psn is snowsanta.

Tizoc

That is some great artwork in the OP.

Bishamon is my guy, I love his look and his special moves even if he isn't the best. If anyone wants to play Ressurection on ps3 feel free to add me, psn is snowsanta.

Bengus was a main artist on the series, look up his Capcom work. Kinu Nishimura also has done art for Capcom titles and her art is superb.

Hag

Shoutouts to Sako!

The second thing that I wished after seeing Xrd engine was a Darkstalkers by Team red and the old capcom guys

lmpaler

I was in love with the female roster as a hormonal child. Such a fun game too. I miss it at time. Very unique characters

Prototype

When that "Not Dead" image first came out I was genuinely excited, but it's been so long i don't think I care for a new game any more. If iit happens that's cool but I'm not holding my breath.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I discovered Darkstalkers thanks to the PSN release. I would love to see a sequel with the graphics of Guilty Gear Xrd.

Xis

When that "Not Dead" image first came out I was genuinely excited, but it's been so long i don't think I care for a new game any more. If iit happens that's cool but I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, I would like a new game but I also imagine it would be disappointing, They would probably use the SFIV engine and make everyone super-burly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cool games. I was never a big fan of fighting games because I sucked so bad at them, but I did play a lot of Night Warriors as a teen (and no, I didn't get my screen name from that game... I used to get asked that all the time, until Dragon Age came out -_-). My favourites to play were Demitri and Rikuo, but art/design-wise I had a soft spot for Lord Raptor (aka Zabel). A heavy metal zombie that attacks with guitars and chainsaws? I don't think you can get any more awesome than that. And of course he had the best level music.

Tizoc

Honestly, I would like a new game but I also imagine it would be disappointing, They would probably use the SFIV engine and make everyone super-burly.

All things considered, and excluding Aulbath, Jedah and Dimitri, the reamining male cast are burly looking.

You know, it was just always one of those games back in the day. It was a cool idea, and at the time, this game would be played while you were waiting to play SF or some other game. Now, this was my experience with it back in the 90s in my local area (IE/OC).

I also feel with games like killer instinct and injustice being created, there has to be room for a game like this. Maybe they should start over from the drawing board and structure it similar to the anime fighter? Who knows.

kunonabi

Still my favorite fighting game series of all time with Savior being my second favorite game ever.

Donovan will always be my favorite character but my Savior main is Aulbath and I play Victor as well.

It's a shame the series is pretty much dead. It was such great testing ground for new ideas and concepts that have shaped so many other games going forward.

Azure J

This game is the pinnacle of a well realized art direction, character design and sound design. There is never a time where I see Vsav in action and I don't get mesmerized at what I'm watching on screen.

Hsien Ko is best character followed by Q-Bee, Jon Talbain, Donovan (lolwhoops) and B.B. Hood. To be honest though, it's also impossible for me to have only a few favorites from the roster as the Vampire Saviour fighting roster is probably my favorite overall original character roster in a fighting game.

What's more, Vampire Saviour's pacing and ability to have decent strings into a knockdown and chase or instantaneous tests of execution leading to a kooky assed special move while having the most impressive neutral around (in terms of speed) at high levels is the gold standard. As someone who came from Melee to 2D fighting games, I always enjoyed just how fast this game was while still adhering to the 2D fighting game mold.

verdures

Vampire Savior... what an incredible game. Pop the RAM cart into the Saturn, load up the disc and the bliss just washes over me.

I remember liking Nightwarriors alot more than VS, (maybe it was the stronger emphasis on chain combos and bloated movelist? Dunno).

Was an Anakaris/Hsien-Ko player as I loved the indirect, obtuse nature of their play. I also had a liking of Huitzil (Arahabaki!) and BB Hood (who was an excellent "psycho little girl" back before that trope got run into the ground).

We forgot the music! Iwai brought his mastery of that 90s soft-synth jazz to alot of Capcom fighters of the era, and D3 is no different:

Red Thirst

Iron Horse, Iron Terror

Concrete Cave

Deserted Chateau

Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Hidden Missiles!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Hidden Missiles!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Soul Fist!
Hidden Missiles!

Fixed.

I still believe in my heart that Capcom is making a new DS right now. Anyway, I love this series a great deal. There is so much untapped potential tied in with this IP, that it kills me to see it currently going unused. (This could be said about so many Capcom series, sadly.)

As for favorite characters, my top 5 would be...

Donovan
Demitri
Q-Bee
Marionette
Dee (The design, not the execution.)

Edit: This topic could be quite easily turned into the Darkstalkers Community Thread.

Top Bottom