• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those missions in a game that make you pray...

GeekyDad

"Please, God, let me save before power failure!"

They're the most tense, but also the most rewarding moments of most games for me.

Been playing the hell out of Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS) again (just went over the 80-hour mark). Of course, I've been fooling around with side missions for hours, and only go back to the story missions when I've caught up on most of the side quests. This one turned out to be not too difficult, but it was one of those where after you thought the mission was over, you actually come to a much more challenging battle. It's been years since I've played through the game, so I didn't know what kind of magic or power this thing was gonna throw at me.

neukhia1.png

Was pretty thrilling, but of course, once the battle was over, there's dialogue, and I'm just like, "stfu, and let me save before my battery dies!"

Love those moments.

TrueLegend

L.A. Noire. The game has no skip option for fast forewarding dialouge. So on power failure my inverter cant switch fast enough for 4k output I guess. So i have to go through "stop lying to me" again and again. Evertime I reach checkpoint I feel happy because checkpoints in this game are atrocious at times. And there is no manual save. So its more of a case of can this game autosave right now please.

Bluecondor

The second half of this film took me about 50 tries (I wish I was exaggerating). I finally managed to beat it with 1 bar left on my sleep meter. I was so relieved after beating this that my heart was racing. LOL!

O3XngdO.jpg

Fbh

I remember the Last Remnant having some missions that were like

"Spend 40 minutes assaulting this base. Cool you finally won, now you can go inside and fight the boss!!!. What's that? You want to save in between? lol no, now go fight the gates of hell!!!"
maxresdefault.jpg

Not sure if they added checkpoints or some in between save points in the re releases.

Three

Doing the platinum back in the day for GT5 I had some heart pounding moments. One imperfect last turn and your Gold trophy is no more. None of that "rewind the race, everybody's a winner" bullshit. You and one 9 minute lap of racing perfection.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Urugway in Syndicate. Did everything Elise including Atlantic Accelerator. Urugway was a protect mission, fuck this shit.

Tiamat2san

I save more often than jesus.😂

to be on topic, I now hate games where you can’t save often.
And I am a yakuza fan…you know the struggle is real.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In SMT Nocturne’s dungeons, there is no check points and you are running out MP and if enemies gets jump of of you and kill you, you will lose 3 hours of progression.

You praying to reach save spot before that happens.

GeekyDad

In SMT Nocturne’s dungeons, there is no check points and you are running out MP and if enemies gets jump of of you and kill you, you will lose 3 hours of progression.

You praying to reach save spot before that happens.
Was even gonna say in my previous post that playing SMT games are kinda what ingrained that into me. :D

TIGERCOOL

not exactly the same but Majora's Mask is full of these moments. The sound of the clock tower bell with the music changing and ground shaking as you're fighting the temple boss or at the end of a long ass side quest is pure anxiety but pulling it off just in time is amazing... followed by the pure bliss of the first day when you travel back in time

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Well, yesterday I finished the game up (FFT A2), and literally had one of those moments. After a two-hour, three-phase final battle, the fucking red charge light on my 3DS lights up! But the characters were still talking, the game ending comes on, the credits want to roll...I'm like holy shit! Was able to plug it in and watch the credits from afar (because of where my adapter is hooked up), but damn!

Top Bottom