• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who went from LCD/LED monitors to OLED monitors, was the change worth it?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes it does. The amount of 4k UHD content out there will look INFINITELY better on my OLED than a 2k one. This is inarguable facts. The cope in here is strong.
I don't understand what your point is.
4k got nothing to do with oled. Any screen cab be 4k

Puscifer

You are coping. I said a 4k OLED is essential for the full power and experience, and you're pretending its not. Its extremely weird. We aren't discussing whats best for your desk and whats in stock for you.
The OP is literally talking about OLED MONITORS

I have one of the AVAILABLE OLED MONITORS

And I'm talking about the experience of OLED MONITORS

And you're whining about OLED TELEVISIONS

Macaron

Banned
I don't understand what your point is.
4k got nothing to do with oled. Any screen cab be 4k
lol my point is you are not getting the most out of your OLED unless its a 4k OLED. I can't believe this inarguable fact is causing so much ruckus :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The OP is literally talking about OLED MONITORS

I have one of the AVAILABLE OLED MONITORS

And I'm talking about the experience of OLED MONITORS

And you're whining about OLED TELEVISIONS
Any OLED. You aren't getting the most out of it if it isn't a 4k OLED. You realize the TVs like mine (LG C2) are basically monitors as well yeah? lol.

Are you going to keep arguing or are you finally going to accept facts?

K2D

Banned
I do 98% of my gaming in the living room which sees a lot of natural light. At the time of purchase, lcd was the only available choice, and is still the only economic viable choice.

I expect that the next purchase 10+ years down will be an OLED with usable anti reflexive properties.

Macaron

Banned
For the love of god don’t buy a TV.
Man this thread just gets sillier and sillier......

Maybe next time know what you're talking about before spewing such silliness. Welcome to 2023 where the best TVs also double as the best monitors.

Hoddi

I have the AW3423DWF hopefully coming in this weekend. I'll still keep my older 4k144 monitor on the side but I've grown tired of using LCDs for PC gaming.

I thought about getting a TV instead but then I'd need to upgrade my 2080 Ti for HDMI 2.1. But I figured I'd get the ultrawide form factor and a slightly higher refresh rate in return. I already have an OLED in my living room and they really need to run at higher than 60hz in my opinion. OLED quality and HDR are 100% worth it though.

Puscifer

lol my point is you are not getting the most out of your OLED unless its a 4k OLED. I can't believe this inarguable fact is causing so much ruckus :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Any OLED. You aren't getting the most out of it if it isn't a 4k OLED. You realize the TVs like mine (LG C2) are basically monitors as well yeah? lol.

Are you going to keep arguing or are you finally going to accept facts?
"Basically" a monitor isn't a monitor

I bought the C2 and it was just too big so I decided elsewhere. A 27 inch monitor is what I'm most comfortable with so I got the Corsair, do you want my receipt showing I purchased the LG next?

Puscifer

Why not?
LG oled stuff is mostly "use as pc monitor" on pc with very few drawbacks. Even got good speakers! Comparable to presonus e3.5 which I sold after getting this tv
Because a television isn't a monitor. If you're just using it for gaming, sure, but no one's mentioning things like text fraying either.

Macaron

Banned
"Basically" a monitor isn't a monitor

I bought the C2 and it was just too big so I decided elsewhere. A 27 inch monitor is what I'm most comfortable with so I got the Corsair, do you want my receipt showing I purchased the LG next?
lol dude the C series doubles as the best monitors as well. See the link I posted in response to the other weird guy.

Again, why are you making this about you? My posts have NEVER been about you, yet you keep talking to me like it is. Its just a fact if your OLED isn't 4k you aren't getting the full, most powerful experience w it.

Moses85

tv land GIF by YoungerTV

Thread
Closing Valentines Day GIF by NETFLIX

Puscifer

lol dude the C series doubles as the best monitors as well. See the link I posted in response to the other weird guy.

Again, why are you making this about you? My posts have NEVER been about you, yet you keep talking to me like it is. Its just a fact if your OLED isn't 4k you aren't getting the full, most powerful experience w it.
Because you turned a monitor thread into a television thread

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because a television isn't a monitor. If you're just using it for gaming, sure, but no one's mentioning things like text fraying either.
It isn't a monitor. it is a tv technically yes. undeniably because it can accept antenna signal.

But to be honest there is barely any difference. There is no text fraying at least not on 48" c1. I can get to bios, everything boots up and workes. There is no lag.
There is full real gsync and nvidia even recognizes it. HDR turns on and of fitself. Black levels are recognized as FULL RGB automatically. It functions entirely as a monitor.
It's not limited and ycbcr. It's FULL RGB without any tweaks (only have to enable 4k deep colour and pc input when you first setup your tv for whatever reason but that's on LG)
There is absolutely nothing about it worse than a monitor really. It's just big. There is no tv menu when you turn it on. And as I've said - the speakers and other features are good to have.

ok to be fair, the only thing is that you have to power it on and off yourself.

The text looks perfect. I cannot see any pixels sitting hand distance from it. Nothing. and I had 4k 27" ips before this. The pixel layout is fine. I dont have cleartype text enabled. Just default windows.
(the coating and reflections are great too. I prefer it to matte display... it's more visible on pics now because iphone raised expousure and it;s middle of the day)

yEqdRDZ.jpg

and this is very close. You dont see pixels in reality. for exmaple 27" 1080p monitors looked way more pixelated to me despite similar dpi
qEtEcOa.jpg

Last edited:

Puscifer

It isn't a monitor. it is a tv technically yes. undeniably because it can accept antenna signal.

But to be honest there is barely any difference. There is no text fraying at least not on 48" c1. I can get to bios, everything boots up and workes. There is no lag.
There is full real gsync and nvidia even recognizes it. HDR turns on and of fitself. Black levels are recognized as FULL RGB automatically. It functions entirely as a monitor.
It's not limited and ycbcr. It's FULL RGB without any tweaks (only have to enable 4k deep colour and pc input when you first setup your tv for whatever reason but that's on LG)
There is absolutely nothing about it worse than a monitor really. It's just big. There is no tv menu when you turn it on. And as I've said - the speakers and other features are good to have.

ok to be fair, the only thing is that you have to power it on and off yourself.

The text looks perfect. I cannot see any pixels sitting hand distance from it. Nothing. and I had 4k 27" ips before this. The pixel layout is fine. I dont have cleartype text enabled. Just default windows.
(the coating and reflections are great too. I prefer it to matte display... it's more visible on pics now because iphone raised expousure and it;s middle of the day)

yEqdRDZ.jpg

and this is very close. You dont see pixels in reality. for exmaple 27" 1080p monitors looked way more pixelated to me despite similar dpi
qEtEcOa.jpg
Text fraying is noticeable enough that there's an entire GitHub repository dedicated to getting Microsoft to fix the problem

And even then on games like Diablo it's noticeable when in the menus

Crazy how many times things need to be repeated to you.

Do some research or click the link I provided to the other guy. Welcome to 2023 where TVs like the C series double as high end monitors.
Bro I literally HAD THE C2 AS I MENTIONED. It's great if you just want to game but even on my desk that's 34 inches deep, buying a special stand that's adjustable I couldn't find comfort with it. No matter how much a television wants to be a monitor it just won't, maybe if they make a 32 inch model, sure, but for now as a MONITOR ones available on the market.

The op asked about monitors, not televisions.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Text fraying is noticeable enough that there's an entire GitHub repository dedicated to getting Microsoft to fix the problem
it's not noticeable at all. Like... it's more noticeable on shitty va montiors than on my lg c1....
It's the most anal made up complaint anyone can have against these tvs.
I have evo panel in my 48". Maybe that matters. image looks perfect, no freying, no aliasing. nothing strange

Puscifer

it's not noticeable at all. Like... it's more noticeable on shitty va montiors than on my lg c1....
It's the most anal made up complaint anyone can have against these tvs.
I have evo panel in my 48". Maybe that matters. image looks perfect, no freying, no aliasing. nothing strange
I had the C2 and the only way to minimize it was blowing up the scaling, but at that point you're losing out on screen real estate. It also had the "Evo" panel.

Macaron

Banned

And even then on games like Diablo it's noticeable when in the menus

Bro I literally HAD THE C2 AS I MENTIONED. It's great if you just want to game but even on my desk that's 34 inches deep, buying a special stand that's adjustable I couldn't find comfort with it. No matter how much a television wants to be a monitor it just won't, maybe if they make a 32 inch model, sure, but for now as a MONITOR ones available on the market.

The op asked about monitors, not televisions.
You can't differentiate yourself from objectivity. For maybe the third or fourth time now? The C series doubles as high end monitors. Anyways, talking w you is pointless when anything outside your peripheral and personal experience is a blindspot.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I had the C2 and the only way to minimize it was blowing up the scaling, but at that point you're losing out on screen real estate. It also had the "Evo" panel.
of course I am using the scale. I am using 150%. I was using 200% when I had 4k 27" montior.
If I use 100% scale, everything is so tiny I can barely see it at the viewing distance. I seat laid back in my chair. not as close as I did to a 27" monitor over which I slouched.
But even at 100%, subpixel rendering is fine. It's a minor minor anal drawback which is not even worth mentioning.

edit: besides.... what am I going to do? Look at 100% small text way too close with my nose up the screen lol? This is not a real problem during normal use.

Last edited:

Puscifer

You can't differentiate yourself from objectivity. For maybe the third or fourth time now? The C series doubles as high end monitors. Anyways, talking w you is pointless when anything outside your peripheral and personal experience is a blindspot.
Bro I literally acknowledged it earlier and you started this nonsense by saying oleds are useless unless you're experiencing "fUlL p0wER of 4kAY"

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why do you know what built in TV speakers sound like?
They sound great in Cinema mode with bass boost. Goos enough I could sold my monitors.
lg c1 got 2x28w speakers inside. I opened the tv and checked (on other occasion).

Maybe other tv speakers sound better. no idea. This tv got the best tv speakers I"VE HEARD

Last edited:
Switched to an OLED TV earlier this year and...yea, it's a pretty nice difference to me. Is it necessary? To me, not really, but it's definitely noticeable and benefits some games greatly.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You are coping. I said a 4k OLED is essential for the full power and experience, and you're pretending its not. Its extremely weird. We aren't discussing whats best for your desk and whats in stock for you.
Have tried both and with a powerful PC 4k is not essential (to me) as I play at 240 fps ultrawide which for me is the superior gaming experience

But this is all subjective anyhow

Luipadre

Im thinking about picking up the LG 27" OLED monitor but i have a C9 in the same room and i heard the fucking remote works on both...

Knightime_X

If you're into 30fps or that framerate doesn't bother you, you're gonna have a bad time.
OLED doesn't play well with anything less than 60 not without vrr help.

Luipadre

No just make sure monitor remote only is checked

YVGn4Lk.jpg

Nice. How's the monitor btw? Im hearing mixed things, some love it, some hate it. I know its not the brightest OLED out there but im using my IPS monitor on 40 brightness for example so im fine with that. Dunno how it compares to my C9 in brightness

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nice. How's the monitor btw? Im hearing mixed things, some love it, some hate it. I know its not the brightest OLED out there but im using my IPS monitor on 40 brightness for example so im fine with that. Dunno how it compares to my C9 in brightness
My main TV is a 77" C9 and I had the 27" LG OLED for a month or so so I can give you a pretty good comparison on those

The LG monitor was literally half as bright as the C9 but I know some of the other panels are getting much brighter

I mainly use the 45" curved ultrawide now and its still pretty dim but I have it in a room I can control the light even through the day

Luipadre

My main TV is a 77" C9 and I had the 27" LG OLED for a month or so so I can give you a pretty good comparison on those

The LG monitor was literally half as bright as the C9 but I know some of the other panels are getting much brighter

I mainly use the 45" curved ultrawide now and its still pretty dim but I have it in a room I can control the light even through the day

Damn that sucks. I probably wait for new OLED monitor models then

buenoblue

Reading all this replies makes you think that oled is second coming of Jesus. It is good but its not game changer.
I have full aray lcd tv and i wanted to get oled (lg c2) so i went to store and I couldn't tell difference between oled and full array led tv out side by side. Good Hdr image is far more noticeable than lcd vs oled screen. Anyway I will probably get one in future but if i were you i would save my money and use your already good monitor, you are not missing out.
A store with all the bright lights shows lcds at there best. It's in normal/low/dark s where you will really see the difference. this is me going back to led because I got burn in on my b9.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If I wanted to play on my 4K OLED Bravia I could and would, but I don't for obvious reasons. One of them being that I don't want a television on my desk, you're really trying to prove I'm "coping" by enjoying a monitor I'd recommend? There's no 4K OLED monitors right now and I don't want to use a TV like other people, it's that's simple.
There are actually a few 4K OLED monitors, but they're all 42-48" and presumably use the same panel as the LG C2. There's one LG 27" 4K but it's 60Hz (yuck) and very expensive.

Last edited:

Puscifer

There are actually a few 4K OLED monitors, but they're all 42-48" and presumably use the same panel as the LG C2. There's one LG 27" 4K but it's 60Hz (yuck) and very expensive.
For me it's that some people are okay with a TV that doubles as a monitor, I'm not not one of them. I personally want my FOV fully engaged and for that I want a 27 or 32 inch, I didn't like that I always had to move my head left and right in different angles to catch things.

For what it's worth I liked the Corsair and would recommend it, that's it. But then he got all super autistic screaming shit like "bUt iTs onLy poWerFul in 4KaY" like he's a retail salesman.

If I wanted an LG C2 I can go to Best Buy and get one, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't want a hulking monstrosity on my desk like that.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
For me it's that some people are okay with a TV that doubles as a monitor, I'm not not one of them. I personally want my FOV fully engaged and for that I want a 27 or 32 inch, I didn't like that I always had to move my head left and right in different angles to catch things.

For what it's worth I liked the Corsair and would recommend it, that's it. But then he got all super autistic screaming shit like "bUt iTs onLy poWerFul in 4KaY" like he's a retail salesman.

If I wanted an LG C2 I can go to Best Buy and get one, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't want a hulking monstrosity on my desk like that.
I hear you. I'm not going for the C2 despite how good it is for gaming. It's simply too damn big for me. The ideal size of monitor for me is 32-38" and even 38" is pushing it unless it's ultrawide. 16:9 starts hurting my neck from looking up and down after a while.

Otherwise, I'd look at 5120x2880 monitors but they're just too damn wide and none is OLED.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned

Imagine having your whole day ruined cause I had to point out C series double as monitors and 4k is factually the best experience considering, you know, 4k uhd content 🤣

I also like you calling me a salesman while calling a paper thin TV a "hulking monstrosity" 🤣🤣🤣

I personally never run a screen saver on my monitor just a blank black background as the monitor has several built in features to prevent burn in
I want an Oled tv, but a game like Apex Legends on a 240hz Oled monitor must look amazing. I need to do more research before I decide which one to splurge on first for my entertainment needs. Seems like burn in may not be as bad as it seems.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I want an Oled tv, but a game like Apex Legends on a 240hz Oled monitor must look amazing. I need to do more research before I decide which one to splurge on first for my entertainment needs. Seems like burn in may not be as bad as it seems.
240 hz on shooters is amazing and will take that over 4k 120fps every single day

StereoVsn

I have C2 42" and I agree, for productivity a regular non-OLED IPS monitor is probably the best due to the way it renders text on Windows (thx MS). Well, unless you are looking to work on HDR content, which is a whole different animal.

However, for gaming/entertainment, its amazing. Although it must be said, unless you have like a 4080/4090/7900xtx, 4K without DLSS/FSR2 ain't happening with modern games with even 60 fps, not to mention higher, lol.

Edit: Forgot to add, pricewise, you couldn't beat C2 early this year/late last year. I got it for like $850. OLED monitors were nowhere near close, not to mention I did want 4K 16x9 (can always run custom UW res as well).

Last edited:
Top Bottom