• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on PS Experience Keynote?

Lol. I think I entered that thread twice. And when I saw what was going on, I was gone. The amount of ridiculousness was too much to even press a couple of keys.

Some people are so "hardcore" they become their own worst enemy.
I was in that thread hyping but I constantly reminded people the fun of hyping is dreaming impossibilities and in the hype itself. I didn't think people actually were serious about those games. I saw them as fun pipedreams.

If it wasn't for Uncharted 4 gameplay, Yakuza reveal and Suikoden 2, it would've been bad. But with those three things I consider it a "meh".

They should've ended with Uncharted 4.

TGA was better, by a mile.

Delstius

Fortunately, I wasn't expecting much.

Decent conference all the way, until the last awful part.
There were a lot of games, which is great, but a lot of PC port. Also not many games that really stand out or that I would consider "must have".
Still no reason for me to buy a PS4 yet as a result.

On the bright side : Suikoden & Yakuza 5 !
Also, they remembered the Vita exist, for a moment.

+ Yakuza 5 ( YESSS)
+ Uncharted 4 looks phenomenal
+ Bloodborne multiplayer is going to be lots of fun
+ Fat princess looked fun to me.
+ SFV cross platform
+ Sukoiden
+ some cool indies

- PERSONA 5 ?
- RATCHET AND CLANK?
- THE LAST GUARDIAN!!!!?

overall 8/10

- FF7 REMAKE TROLLING (-7)

1/10

Pack it up Sony.

How hypocritical.

Yep. Me not liking a conference means I can be berated by a bunch of overly defensive people, be called a "dumbass" (nice hilariously ill-timed edit by the way, I don't see how you think that does any good, hahaha), and that I have no friends.

Truly classy.

Hexa

9/10
Soooooooo hypped right now. Like I can't even deal. The troll by SE was crap, but other than that it was just an endless stream of pure awesome.

Am I missing anything?

Previously Announced Games Shown:
Uncharted 4
MLB: The Show 15
Destiny
Arkham Knight
Grim Dandango
The Order: 1886
Tearaway: Unfolded
Until Dawn
No Man's Sky

New Games/Ports/Localization Announced:
Killstrain
Bloodborne
Street Fighter IV
Killing Floor 2
The Forest
Geometry Wars (Vita)
Orcs Must Die
Severed
Street Fighter V (Though leaked)
Yakuza 5
Suikoden
Octodad (Vita)
Gang Beats
Broken Age
Day of the Tentacle
Fat Princess Adventure
What Remains of Edith Finch
FFVII PS4 (looooooooool)
Enter the Gungeon
Wattam
Super Time Force Ultra
Shovel Knight
Skytorn
Bastion
Darkest Dungeon
Drawn to Death

Amazing.

RE_Player

I am absolutley baffled by some of you. What the hell do you expect from a fan event conference in the middle of December? It was great and they accomplished what they set out to do.

Let's hope this encourages Microsoft to do similar events in the future. Saving everything for E3 is boring in my opinion. I much prefer "smaller" events like this and direct online approach Nintendo has taken.

Holy shit, wow. This might be the saddest post I've seen on GAF in a long time, hahahaha. Guy doesn't like the looks of game. YOU DON'T HAVE FRIEDNS!!11!!

I didn't say.....YOU didn't have friends. I said that the game itself looks quite fun, if you have friends.

The fact that you are on this"interactive dvd" crap is nice though.

Amikami

Banned
Hearing the negative reaction made me decide that some of you guys deserve games like Unity and The Crew.
Seriously messed up expectations.

Some of the negative reactions are silly and/or trolling. Not going to point 'em out. But others are fine. Not everyone will have the same oppinions on the same games as you. Nothing wrong with that.

With that said, I can agree that the conference was pretty good. I think a lot of people got swept up in the month long hype. Not surprised by some of the reactions.

StarVigil

qlurnn.gif

Great show. But the ending was meh. And screw Square Enix.
Can't be quoted enough.
I was actually enjoying the show, but Square had to ruin everything.

I guess if you did spend you time in an echo chamber megathread full of hype gifs and insider fantasy fan-fiction you're hype was probably higher than the average person outside of the forum.

That doesn't excuse a poor showing like that FF7 "reveal" and peter moore coming on stage just to announce "FREE GAMES! but they will be 2 bargain bin games from 4 years ago and a DD title and only for this weekend" and whatever the point of that Persona 5 moment was

Dart

LOL you guys, I tried warning you.

Anyway I thought it was a fantastic keynote, a little bit of everything for everyone. Great show, definitely more enjoyable than the TGAs by a long shot.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
tbqh the "big games" were really uninteresting.

-Uncharted 4 was like Uncharted 3.5, the game need a change in it's formula and style asap, even the graphics weren't that good and don't scream "next gen" at all. animations were janky as well as the bad water effect.
-No Man's Sky is just boring, there is no goal and there is no "game" inside this thing other than going to see the moons, which is pretty bad design to do and I can see myself play this for 5 mins then never touch the game again.
-Bloodborne is really nothing new, From is a one trick pony and this is another soul game with different color, people might like more of the same thing but I just don't care.
-The Order 1888, everytime they show it it's feel really boring. the weird thing this time is that it feel like whoever was playing was having hard/bad times or maybe was just bored out of his skull.
-SF5. yeah Ono seems like he is following Namco with not doing huge improvement anymore.
-Until Down was just another interactive movie like telltales and QD games and they don't even bother to make it seamless anymore.
-David Jaffe game seems like it'll be cool if it was early PS3 era, now yeah I just don't feel it.

Yakuza 5 announcement was the best thing (and maybe only good thing) about the entire show for me.

Nimby

Banned
I was hoping this experience would give me a reason to buy a PS4. It gave me Yakuza 5, and Suikoden I&II, and that's it... none of which are coming to PS4.

If Sony thought this conference would get me to rush out and buy a PS4, they failed. In that regard a 0/10.

Megatons? 3/10. Street Fighter V was leaked beforehand, and while hoping for Crash and TLG was pushing it, is it really too much to ask for a new DMC or Dragon's Dogma? Gravity Fucking Rush 2? A new Siren or some shit. Sony is failing so hard right now in this department, I am resulting to buying older consoles to play games I missed out on.

I'm sorry dozens of Indies wasn't enough to make me enjoy this conference Sony. I'm starting to think the only people who have it straight right now is Nintendo. Sony is not catering to same audience that grew up with a PS2, and the PS4 looks to continue the trend the PS3 loosely started. Now it looks even worse.

rubex75

Banned
Yeah fuck this shit. Staying off JudgmentGaf for a few days.

Also, fuck the people who are taking the piss out of people with high expectations. You all have no right to be cunts to us about this.

Jigorath

Banned
2/10

Extremely disappointing. This is supposed to be a celebration of 20 years of Playstation and the very first Playstation Experience. They needed big guns and to play up nostalgia. Instead they wasted like 40 minutes on games that have already been talked about 100 times (The Order 1886, No Man's Sky, Destiny, Arkham Knight etc.) they show an interesting yet too lengthy demo of Uncharted 4 that would have been better saved for E3, and then downright INSULT us with that Peter Moore segment and FF7 segments.

The ONLY decent things/nice surprises in that entire 2 hour conference were: Ono with SF IV/V, The 3rd party relations guy (the one wearing the fedora thing) segment specifically the part with Tim Schaffer, and the last segment with Jaffe.

Everything else was corporate garbage, lame jokes, and indie games that could have easily been shown in a cool 2 minute montage instead of being stretched out.

They insulted you by offering free games. Ok then.

I am absolutley baffled by some of you. What the hell do you expect from a fan event conference in the middle of December? It was great and they accomplished what they set out to do.

Let's hope this encourages Microsoft to do similar events in the future. Saving everything for E3 is boring in my opinion. I much prefer "smaller" events like this and direct online approach Nintendo has taken.
Reminds me of people with Nintendo Directs getting mad about no Metroid.
Suikoden 2 Hype: http://youtu.be/IY00VczrpZU

Lol. I think I entered that thread twice. And when I saw what was going on, I was gone. The amount of ridiculousness was too much to even press a couple of keys.

Some people are so "hardcore" they become their own worst enemy.

Yeap. Never ending cycle.

Don't worry though. People will overhype the next conference. Can't wait for the next round of salt

Maebe

2/10

Extremely disappointing. This is supposed to be a celebration of 20 years of Playstation and the very first Playstation Experience. They needed big guns and to play up nostalgia. Instead they wasted like 40 minutes on games that have already been talked about 100 times (The Order 1886, No Man's Sky, Destiny, Arkham Knight etc.) they show an interesting yet too lengthy demo of Uncharted 4 that would have been better saved for E3, and then downright INSULT us with that Peter Moore segment and FF7 segments.

The ONLY decent things/nice surprises in that entire 2 hour conference were: Ono with SF IV/V, The 3rd party relations guy (the one wearing the fedora thing) segment specifically the part with Tim Schaffer, and the last segment with Jaffe.

Everything else was corporate garbage, lame jokes, and indie games that could have easily been shown in a cool 2 minute montage instead of being stretched out.

This
The FF7 shit burned my soul

It was one of my stand-out titles from the show, a show will had lots to offer me as a gamer.

For people who can only get their kicks from AAA, well - my sympathies.
Agreed. It offered a lot of exciting and unique stuff. Until Dawn was definitely one of them. I'm really excited by the prospect of playing that with family and friends as a "choose-our-own adventure" like the guy was doing with the crowd.

JNA

Banned
I thought it was very solid for their first show. A lot of cry babies here.

If it wasn't for FF7 remake trolling (which I have to say, the reactions here, PRICELESS!), then the reactions here would be a whole lot calmer. But no, just one trolling and suddenly the whole show for them sucks. Yeah ok.

delSai

I wish E3s were a bit more like that... just guys screaming and dropping f-bombs, Layden not wearing a suit... It was a fun ride

Wabba

-Uncharted 4 was like Uncharted 3.5, the game need a change in it's formula and style asap, even the graphics weren't that good and don't scream "next gen" at all. animations were janky as well as the bad water effect.
-No Man's Sky is just boring, there is no goal and there is no "game" inside this thing other than going to see the moons, which is pretty bad design to do and I can see myself play this for 5 mins then never touch the game again.
-Bloodborne is really nothing new, From is a one trick pony and this is another soul game with different color, people might like more of the same thing but I just don't care.
-The Order 1888, everytime they show it it's feel really boring. the weird thing this time is that it feel like whoever was playing was having hard/bad times or maybe was just bored out of his skull.
-SF5. yeah Ono seems like he is following Namco with not doing huge improvement anymore.
-Until Down was just another interactive movie like telltales and QD games and they don't even bother to make it seamless anymore.
-David Jaffe game seems like it'll be cool if it was early PS3 era, now yeah I just don't feel it.

Yakuza 5 announcement was the best thing (and maybe only good thing) about the entire show for me.

I think its more a problem with your perspective then the games.

system11

Jesus, you guys are rude as all fuck.

Hey look, I know what you mean about those DVD games and you're not entirely wrong about it being the same kind of thing.

Some of us are interested in playing that kind of thing when done well though, I grew up in a time where Dragons Lair was considered an interesting bit of gameplay and that was the father of all QTE games ever made.

It looked decent, there was no unfair level of hype with it, it was scary. It will probably be cheap too. All good things but you posted the equivalent of tagging a Steam game with 'not a game, walking simulator'.

9/10
Soooooooo hypped right now. Like I can't even deal. The troll by SE was crap, but other than that it was just an endless stream of pure awesome.

Am I missing anything?

Previously Announced Games Shown:
Uncharted 4
MLB: The Show 15
Destiny
Arkham Knight
Grim Dandango
The Order: 1886
Tearaway: Unfolded
Until Dawn
No Man's Sky

New Games/Ports/Localization Announced:
Killstrain
Bloodborne
Street Fighter IV
Killing Floor 2
The Forest
Geometry Wars (Vita)
Orcs Must Die
Severed
Street Fighter V (Though leaked)
Yakuza 5
Suikoden
Octodad (Vita)
Gang Beats
Broken Age
Day of the Tentacle
Fat Princess Adventure
What Remains of Edith Finch
FFVII PS4 (looooooooool)
Enter the Gungeon
Wattam
Super Time Force Ultra
Shovel Knight
Skytorn
Bastion
Darkest Dungeon
Drawn to Death

Amazing.

Yeah, but there wasn't anything new. /s

The last part was just unnecessary.

It wasn't. Did we not watch how amazing the game can be when you have people yelling at you to make a decision?

How many horror movies have you watched when you wished you could change the action of the actress. It looks like a fun game to play with friends. I wasn't insulting his personal life, just stating another situation in which it could be enjoyed.

Sorry some of us can come up with way to make what seems boring into a fun activity.

thuway

You should probably sell your PS4. If this is what you thought of the games shown

Yeah fuck this shit. Staying off JudgmentGaf for a few days.

Also, fuck the people who are taking the piss out of people with high expectations. You all have no right to be cunts to us about this.
If you actually took the hype seriously, you really only have yourself to blame for your disappointment.

woolley

I'm only interested in games that have a $50+ million budget.

If you want to look at it that way. The only "indy" game that I've played and not regretted it has been MInecraft. I've pretty much given up on those games but at least with the high budget games there's a better chance than not that I'll enjoy my experience.

Insiders are there to hype anything. They are no better than the WOOOO guy at the Video Game Awards.
Nonsense!
They act up like they know "stuff". THEY DON'T! "Megaton", "GIGATON", they know nothing.
You want hype? I can give you hype before these conferences start. But I won't pretend like I know top-secret stuff and post it on a gaming forum.
Stop listening to these guys and laugh at them. THEN, you're gonna enjoy these events much more.

Agreed. It offered a lot of exciting and unique stuff. Until Dawn was definitely one of them. I'm really excited by the prospect of playing that with family and friends as a "choose-our-own adventure" like the guy was doing with the crowd.
I love the genre, so Until Dawn is up my valley. Last gen visual novels and point and click were almost dead.
I am happy with the resurgence.

Lot of people don't consider indie games actual games.

It's a fucking sad world we live in I know.
I take pity on these people because they will never play the best platformer of this year.

system11

It wasn't. Did we not watch how amazing the game can be when you have people yelling at you to make a decision?

How many horror movies have you watched when you wished you could change the action of the actress. It looks like a fun game to play with friends. I wasn't insulting his personal life, just stating another situation in which it could be enjoyed.

Sorry some of us can come up with way to make what seems boring into a fun activity.

It actually seems like something that could be fun to stream to a small group on Twitch with them making the decisions.

Proxy

If you want to look at it that way. The only "indy" game that I've played and not regretted it has been MInecraft. I've pretty much given up on those games but at least with the high budget games there's a better chance than not that I'll enjoy my experience.

Honestly, that sounds completely ridiculous.

kpaadet

"Insiders" over hyped it (looking at you worthyedge) like usual, SFV was a megaton but was leaked so made less inpact. Overall a great show though, felt less corp than a standard E3 presser, I liked that.

Zabuza

Banned
Let's be real. The Forest was game of the show. I realize it's a port, but boy am I excited to play that on my PS4.

I was in that thread hyping but I constantly reminded people the fun of hyping is dreaming impossibilities and in the hype itself. I didn't think people actually were serious about those games. I saw them as fun pipedreams.

Yup.

I thought we knew the Crash is a pipedream due to Activision.
I thought we knew that development for Ape Escape and the rest of them were down to money issues and the original teams being gone.

Like, i'm not about to get myself hyped up for games I know aren't happening anytime soon...especially not in the first year of the system. Come on now. I think some people really need to fall back with these outlandish expectations.

This is not the first and won't be the last. Square was fucked up though.

Somewhere behind good and very good. A lot of games were showed. Uncharted 4 is all I want it to be. The Order might be a very cool adventure. The Day of the Tentacle remaster announcement made me shout like a little girl. Tearaway looks as charming as ever. Bloodborne keeps on being awesome and No Man Sky makes me reach huge levels of hype.

Skytorne and Severed are games I definitely want to know more about.

Thank God, no Crash Bandicoot announcement. Please keep furries away from my Playstation, thanks. Nobody should lose their time on such a project. Nobody. Ever.

And Square Enix can go fuck themselves.

Tubie

I think it was great, one of the best from Sony in recent memory.

Good:
-UC4 live gameplay demo.
-Free games from EA.
-Lots of new games.
-New footage of games we knew about.
-SF4 and SF5 on PS4.
-Sony remembered that Vita exists.
-PS3 got some love.
-They didn't bog the thing down with Morpheus.
-No TV or Movie crap.

Bad:
-FFVII port announcement.
-Using Drawn to Death to close the conference.

I have no idea how can anyone be disappointed by this conference.

Top Bottom