• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on "The Crown" (Spoilers???)

appaws

Banned
Spoilers...??? Not really, since all this shit happened in real life years ago.

OK GAF, particularly Limey-GAF. Answer my questions and attempt to defend this squalid gang of Germans you waste your tax money feeding and housing like the prize hog for the county fair (Americanism).

What the fuck is up with Camilla Parker-Bowles? Why is the future King so flipped over this chick, who was at best a 4/10 even when she was young. She must be able to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch (Americanism). I mean Diana was so cute and hot and gave him strapping sons, I can't figure it. Is Charlie really this much of a Bell-end (Britishism)? He could have any saucy tart (Britishism) in the commonwealth and chop her head off as soon as he gets bored with her, but he settles for that!?

I can't believe they were hiding all those retarded Hanovers resulting from their inbreeding in institutions for all those years. QE2 seems like a nice old lady...and the show made it seem like she never knew...but I have my doubts. They need to marry even more American black chicks to get away from the rancid DNA of European cousin-fucking nobility.

It is a really good show. A lot of great actors portraying all the different mental patients of the royal family. Although it is hard to accept Gillan Anderson being made up like that as Thatcher. Too weird.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
One of my favorite shows. I'm only halfway through this season.

I can't wait for the Jeffrey Epstein episode

GreyHorace

What the fuck is up with Camilla Parker-Bowles? Why is the future King so flipped over this chick, who was at best a 4/10 even when she was young. She must be able to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch (Americanism). I mean Diana was so cute and hot and gave him strapping sons, I can't figure it. Is Charlie really this much of a Bell-end (Britishism)? He could have any saucy tart (Britishism) in the commonwealth and chop her head off as soon as he gets bored with her, but he settles for that!?

The answer is simple really. Charles loved Camilla, but couldn't marry her because she was married at the time to Andrew Parker Bowles. We can call him crazy or whatnot for not loving the much hotter Diana but the simple fact is that his heart yearned for another woman. We can't explain why some people love the way they do, it defies all reason.

Not that I'm excusing Charles for the way he treated Diana. He is a fucking prat for leading her on with this idea of a fairy tail marriage when he could have called it off from the beginning and spared themselves the pain. Sure Diana slept around with other men but can we really blame her when her husband was still seeing the woman he really loved?

What the fuck is up with Camilla Parker-Bowles? Why is the future King so flipped over this chick, who was at best a 4/10 even when she was young. She must be able to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch (Americanism). I mean Diana was so cute and hot and gave him strapping sons, I can't figure it.
Camilla is the love of his life.
Diana was a cold stupid superficial bitch and the whole thing was kind of an arranged marriage.

I actually think this whole story is super romantic and one of the very few examples that I know of that something like love seems to exist and work, even over such long time periods.
They both looked so happy when they were finally able to marry after some forty years.

How crazy is that...

Last edited:

Romulus

I didn't realize Diana was having that many guys over damn lol. Not the innocent princess i thought. And fuck all that "but Charles did it first" nonsense.

jdforge

Banned
The heart wants what the heart wants. And in this case Charles wanted a Horseface/10

Fixed that for you.

Has anyone Googled the leaked telephone conversation between Charles and Camilla?

I really believe it was bad what Charles and Camilla did to Diana.

They plotted and schemed and basically ruined that woman’s life. I wouldn’t like to see either Charles or Camilla on the throne. Charles should abdicate to William.

appaws

Banned
Fixed that for you.

Has anyone Googled the leaked telephone conversation between Charles and Camilla?

They plotted and schemed and basically ruined that woman’s life. I wouldn’t like to see either Charles or Camilla on the throne. Charles should abdicate to William.

Well since his mom is apparently an immortal he may not ever sit on it at all.

They plotted and schemed and basically ruined that woman’s life.
They were both hassled into an arranged marriage none of them wanted.
I fail to see how any side has the moral superiority here..

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lovely fan-fiction, but don't think of it as being a historically accurate portrayal of true life events.

I understand that the Royals, friends and family of Windsors and other people who had first hand experience have expressed their dissatisfaction with the show writers playing lose and fast with real events.

Although I understand they are trying to make a TV drama, maybe they should add a disclaimer to the start of each episode to explain this is their interpretation of events?

It's not just The Crown that has this problem. Go and watch any TV show/movie based on any historical figure/event and you'll find it's historically inaccurate. Sometimes it can be so woefully inaccurate that it's actually insulting (See Braveheart or U571 as examples).

The trouble is with this is that most people see the historical adaptation and believe every scene and line of dialogue is 100% true, which gives people a warped view of true historical events.

Hudo

It's alright but in terms of "drama series about heads of government", I think "The West Wing" is still the best.

Burger

Lovely fan-fiction, but don't think of it as being a historically accurate portrayal of true life events.

I understand that the Royals, friends and family of Windsors and other people who had first hand experience have expressed their dissatisfaction with the show writers playing lose and fast with real events.

Although I understand they are trying to make a TV drama, maybe they should add a disclaimer to the start of each episode to explain this is their interpretation of events?

It's not just The Crown that has this problem. Go and watch any TV show/movie based on any historical figure/event and you'll find it's historically inaccurate. Sometimes it can be so woefully inaccurate that it's actually insulting (See Braveheart or U571 as examples).

The trouble is with this is that most people see the historical adaptation and believe every scene and line of dialogue is 100% true, which gives people a warped view of true historical events.

Where does it say it's an accurate portrayal of events? Why do they need to add a disclaimer that it's not? For thick people?

How could you make it accurate? You wouldn't have any cooperation, and if you based it on existing official reports and information it would look like some weird fantasy. So... Don't make it?

Of course it's made up, how else would you create such a thing? I mean the clue is in the name. It's a drama.

However the threads connecting everything are all true. Assassination of Mountbatten. Marriage strife. Queen dipping into political matters. Discontent with Thatcher. etc.

jdforge

Banned
They were both hassled into an arranged marriage none of them wanted.
I fail to see how any side has the moral superiority here..

Because when you marry and take marriage vows they are meant to you know actually mean something

Regardless of that or any marriage being arranged in anyway - Camilla should have respected that Charles was now a married man and Charles should have respected his marriage to Diana.

What actually happened is a pre-determination from both Charles and Camilla to wholly undermine the sanctity of marriage and continuing fucking in secret. That’s hardly fitting behaviour for people in very privileged positions is it?

lock2k

Banned
I
Because when you marry and take marriage vows they are meant to you know actually mean something

Regardless of that or any marriage being arranged in anyway - Camilla should have respected that Charles was now a married man and Charles should have respected his marriage to Diana.

What actually happened is a pre-determination from both Charles and Camilla to wholly undermine the sanctity of marriage and continuing fucking in secret. That’s hardly fitting behaviour for people in very privileged positions is it?

If the show has some remotely true stuff in it, I'd say both are cunts and Diana was an egomaniac. But since it may be exaggerated, who knows.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
great acting and does a good job educating people about what this country has done. but not really that enjoyable as a tv show. too much waffling about.

thefool

The transition from claire foy to colman is brutal. Claire is too much eye candy. And it doesn't even make sense, the period of time is not even that big and she becomes an old hag in 5-6 years? C'mon...

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Here is what Elizabeth looked like during the Claire Foy era:

hbz-1952-queen-elizabeth-ii-gettyimages-89857203.jpg

So fucking hot and classy wow.

Here is QE2 during Season 3 era

142f735ee3fc595d272314546c8c223d.jpg

So pretty accurate actually. Still lovely for a woman of that age.

Season 4 era btw

51e41d62c99362a47ddf2e54131a75b3.jpg

Such a dignified lady.

thefool

Here is what Elizabeth looked like during the Claire Foy era:

hbz-1952-queen-elizabeth-ii-gettyimages-89857203.jpg

So fucking hot and classy wow.

Here is QE2 during Season 3 era

142f735ee3fc595d272314546c8c223d.jpg

So pretty accurate actually. Still lovely for a woman of that age.

Season 4 era btw

51e41d62c99362a47ddf2e54131a75b3.jpg

Such a dignified lady.

The problem is how jarring the transition is, especially when you binge it. In season 2 we're in the 60's and by mid of season 3 we are still in the 60's and we go from this

The_Crown_season_2_episode_10_finale_3.jpg

to this
the-crown-netflix-olivia-colman.jpg

And Philip is even weirder, he looks 20 years older or something

I watched S4 last week. Enjoyed it, way stronger than the third season, Emma Corrin is pure eye candy, colman is much more comfortable as the queen but everything I've seen from Olivia Colman, as an actress, is wittiness, quirkiness, funny and that has nothing to do with the portrayal of claire foy. It's like they are different characters. Portrarying the passage of time is one of the shows biggest problems, Thatcherism comes and goes hardly with any context.

It still looks magnificent, the sound design in a couple of episodes is as good as I've seen on tv, beautiful costumes. It might tell the story in a very shallow way, but its undoubtedly visually rich.

Last edited:

Burger

The problem is how jarring the transition is, especially when you binge it. In season 2 we're in the 60's and by mid of season 3 we are still in the 60's and we go from this

I watched S4 last week. Enjoyed it, way stronger than the third season, Emma Corrin is pure eye candy, colman is much more comfortable as the queen but everything I've seen from Olivia Colman, as an actress, is wittiness, quirkiness, funny and that has nothing to do with the portrayal of claire foy. It's like they are different characters. Portrarying the passage of time is one of the shows biggest problems, Thatcherism comes and goes hardly with any context.

It still looks magnificent, the sound design in a couple of episodes is as good as I've seen on tv, beautiful costumes. It might tell the story in a very shallow way, but its undoubtedly visually rich.

It's a tricky line to walk though, and it sounds like you are asking for something rather difficult to pull off. You have 10 episodes, and you have to squeeze in Mountbatten & The Troubles, Diana, the Falklands and Thatcher. In a show that's about the Royal Family. I think they squeezed in rather a lot of Thatcher in a show that's not really about her.

They made her nice an unlikeable though. Unlike Harold Wilson.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really like it. I'm not really in to the whole Royal Family stuff though. I see enough of them in the news to want to watch a fictional show about them, but that's just me. I have a feeling people from other countries would enjoy it more than someone from the UK. Could be wrong there, though.

It's not a bad show, I like the direction & set design, plus the cast was solid when I watched. Just not my thing.

thefool

It's a tricky line to walk though, and it sounds like you are asking for something rather difficult to pull off. You have 10 episodes, and you have to squeeze in Mountbatten & The Troubles, Diana, the Falklands and Thatcher. In a show that's about the Royal Family. I think they squeezed in rather a lot of Thatcher in a show that's not really about her.

They made her nice an unlikeable though. Unlike Harold Wilson.

Might be strange to say, because there was so much Tatcher, but I felt the season was too apolitical and very centered on her being a woman vs her politics, which were handled in a somewhat simpleton way, almost cartoonish (her disagreements with the falklands sanctions and how bad the country was to some (Fagan)).

Last edited:

Burger

Might be strange to say, because there was so much Tatcher, but I felt the season was too apolitical and very centered on her being a woman vs her politics, which were handled in a somewhat simpleton way, almost cartoonish (her disagreements with the falklands sanctions and how bad the country was to some (Fagan)).

I agree, and it smells like it was apolitical on purpose. It seems the closer we get to current events the harder it is for the show to speak on them.

INC

As a fellow brit, I could give a shit are the royals, let alone watch a series about them.

Heard its half decent tho

Top Bottom