• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the Rebuild of Evangelion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After yet another engaging and thoughtful discussion, (Thoughts on EoE), I took the initiative to finally watch the first three films in the Rebuild of Evangelion series. I'd like to use this thread for you to share your thoughts on the films, and any hopes/expectations for the final film.

Personally, I love love LOVE these films. It's so fascinating to see certain scenes reanimated with all the advances in animation we have today. 1.0 was such fan service, and the battles are always so exciting to watch. I highly recommend watching them on Blu-Ray.

I think the new character Mari is a great addition to the cast and doesn't feel shoe-horned or out of place with the existing characters. Certain characters like Ritsuko are seriously lacking in character development, but I'm assuming the creators intended for you to watch these films after you've seen the TV series.

As for the extreme changes in the storyline and mythos, count me in! I'm glad that it isn't just the series re-drawn and that it's a big departure from the story we all know. I think the new Eva designs are fantastic (especially Unit 13 from 3.0) and really liven up the story.

Of all the films, 3.0 has been my favorite. It's probably the furthest departure from the TV series and such an interesting twist as far as what I was expecting to happen after the end of 2.0. That, and the handling of Kaworu's character (the tension between him and Shinji was PALPABLE) are just ace. I really hope he returns in some form in the final film. The light-hearted, adventurous ending of this film is also something I far prefer to the psychological calamity that EoE goes for.

So, thoughts?

Ultima_5

i enjoyed the first two. seems like the 3rd one will never get released over here. i've had it preordered since i got my first job which was two years ago =/

FuuRe

HayaoMiyazaki.gif

I mean, Asuka name changed? what in the hell, why?

I haven't watched it all though

HayaoMiyazaki.gif

I thought the change was pointless too...I think it was to create a bigger divide between her character in this universe vs the previous one, but aside from a few details, they're pretty similar.

FuuRe

I thought the change was pointless too...I think it was to create a bigger divide between her character in this universe vs the previous one, but aside from a few details, they're pretty similar.

That's another reason for me to avoid it, if it's just a retelling of the same stuff why should i watch it? only to satisfy the nowadays mandatory full hd version of everything? and add the little differences.

HayaoMiyazaki.gif!!!!

Fj0823

Its really great, however it would have worked way better as a series.

3.33 was a glorious troll, I loved it, and love the fact that the preview in 2.22 is the only clue we get to what happened in all those years.

FuuRe

It's pretty clear it's not just a retelling.

Ok then what's the point? pointing that you lived a lie thinking the original was the truth?

I really, really can't tell what is the point of rebuild, i truly love Evangelion, but when i watched 1.11 i couldn't tell what the fuck was it all about, it's new but at the same time it's the same stuff.

andymcc

Banned
Ok then what's the point? pointing that you lived a lie thinking the original was the truth?

I really, really can't tell what is the point of rebuild, i truly love Evangelion, but when i watched 1.11 i couldn't tell what the fuck was it all about, it's new but at the same time it's the same stuff.

it's probably a sequel. or maybe post third impact world building.

Gun Animal

That's another reason for me to avoid it, if it's just a retelling of the same stuff why should i watch it? only to satisfy the nowadays mandatory full hd version of everything? and add the little differences.

HayaoMiyazaki.gif!!!!
Only the first is a retelling. The second and third are as different from the TV series as... Idk, Batman Returns and the Dark Knight. They share characters and locations in common but theyre basically completely different.

I liked the first two, especially the character interactions were a nice change. Everyone was a bit... nicer? Shinji and his dad were starting to get along, Rei was becoming an actual person, Asuka was a bit more obvious about her personal complexes and what not. Of course all these things hit the fan in true Eva fashion but it was a nice change.

That third movie though.... they went full anime, never go full anime. Had a tough time paying attention to it. The Eva designs were all over the place, literally, and just lacked a lot of context or interesting moments. Was left wondering what the point of all it was which is never a good conclusion.

knkng

First you were mad that it's a retelling, and now you're mad that it's not a retelling? Maybe just watch it all before jumping to conclusions?

It's a sequel (all signs point to this) of the original TV series, a reset of the world I suppose. However, even though it starts off very similar to the TV series in the first movie, the second movie diverges greatly, and the third movie is almost unrecognizable as Evangelion. If this sounds terrible to you, then just stick with the TV series. But what's the point? Well, I guess it's for the hopeful enjoyment and entertainment of Evangelion fans. What else is there to say?

It's pretty clear that it's not a remake of the original, considering the fucking sea is red which is how EoE ended.

it's just a new cycle which changed things and altered some characters, whats the point of making a series based on the original if you're not going to drastically change things to a degree?

If you didn't watch 2 or 3, then I don't see why you're even in this thread tbh. The movies diverge so far from the TV series. All new angels, evas, motives.

The second ova was good. The first bored me because it was like a summary episode. Third is dumb but I like new content so whatevs

Kinyou

I really loved the ending of 2.0 but couldn't stand how 3.0 continued it. Though some people really love 3.0 and it was at least an attempt to get the series in a new direction. I can appreciate it for that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I enjoyed the first two, especially the twists they made in the second film.

I don't really know what to think about the third one. It's a bit of a mess. Maybe in 5 years, when the fourth one is released they will look better together.

Jackpot

Banned
First two were great. They do only pay lipservice to fleshing out characters so it relies heavily on you having watched the TV series.

Anno openly said Mari is an amalgamation of anime clichés done for marketing purposes and it shows. Her reactions really don't fit.

Third one's premise was great - see the characters and world you first saw in the 90s 14 years later. Execution was shit. The terribleness of the movie's plot has already been covered multiple times. Allegedly 28 year old Asuka having as much character progress as Shinji who's been not existing for 14 years sums it up.

HayaoMiyazaki.gif

From name of cruiser to name of destroyer to reflect smaller part I think.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The storytelling in 1.0 was too condensed. It needed to be more dramatically rethought to fit the runtime. The approach of reanimating the bulk of the material and cutting a bunch of stuff was a mistake. Characterisation suffered. The Ramiel fight was glorious though.

2.0 is a very fun movie, but it's hard not to compare it to the series and notice how dumbed down it is in comparison. Some of the stuff in this movie is really dumb, but it's executed reasonably well most of the time.

3.0 was bad. Very poor pacing. No characters felt properly developed. Lazy plotting that throws in the complication the entire plot ends up being hinged upon at the very end. Poor action direction. It retreads a lot of the same psychological material seen in the latter third of the show, but it doesn't feel like Anno's heart is in it anymore.

Blader

Asuka's last name was changed to fit the battleship naming convention of the other female pilots (Shikinami, Ayanami, and Makinami all being WWII Japanese destroyers).

I enjoyed the first two, especially the twists they made in the second film.

I don't really know what to think about the third one. It's a bit of a mess. Maybe in 5 years, when the fourth one is released they will look better together.

This is basically where I stand with it too. The first is a fine HD remake of the first couple episodes, *loved* the second movie even if it was a lot more shounen-ish (personally I always liked the shounen-ish first half of the series more than the existential despair second half anyway), and the third I'm still pretty mixed on. Like you said it's a kind of a mess as an actual film, but there's some interesting things happening under the hood that may or may be redeemed by the fourth movie.

Peltz

They need to release 3.33 here in the US. Or... is there any way to import it with subtitles for Blu Ray?

FuuRe

First you were mad that it's a retelling, and now you're mad that it's not a retelling? Maybe just watch it all before jumping to conclusions?

It's a sequel (all signs point to this) of the original TV series, a reset of the world I suppose. However, even though it starts off very similar to the TV series in the first movie, the second movie diverges greatly, and the third movie is almost unrecognizable as Evangelion. If this sounds terrible to you, then just stick with the TV series. But what's the point? Well, I guess it's for the hopeful enjoyment and entertainment of Evangelion fans. What else is there to say?

Chill dude, it's only Anime

I will give it another shot, and i might be totally wrong but from what i've watched and heard seems like a Eva for dummies version, and i don't like training wheels on my mindfucks

Those are 3 of my favorite anime films in recent years for sure. And yes, I loved the 3rd one to death. Was kinda shocked to hear it was objectively bad when I started to read up on GAF impressions later but whatever. I appreciated how they subverted my expectations and went in an entirely different direction than the other 2 movie's retreads. Visually stunning and has a score that takes my breath away. The time jump was awkward and uncomfortable and had me wondering wtf was going in at first but it really started to grow on me as a plot element. I thought I knew what I was getting into after the other 2 but this movie put an end to that, for the better IMO. I don't watch much anime lately but I sure as hell enjoyed myself with these films.

I still want my US Bluray release you pissheads! :p

FuuRe

If you didn't watch 2 or 3, then I don't see why you're even in this thread tbh. The movies diverge so far from the TV series. All new angels, evas, motives.

I watched 1 and therefore i'm allowed to present my thoughts, my thought is that it differs excessively from the original and i wasn't pleased with the result, so no need to brush me aside, you can just ignore me if you want, i could be wrong with my assumptions but please, the "why are you here" speech is way off tbh, let's keep the thread on topic.

Dachande

Wow, I'm the opposite to you, OP. I've progressively disliked each new Rebuild movie as it's come out.

I loved 1.0, as it was essentially a retelling/reanimated version of the first 6 or so episodes of the TV series with most of the shit parts removed.

Then 2.0 deviated quite a bit from the TV series storyline and I was a bit annoyed by that - the Unit-01 battle sequence at the end is incredible, but I hate Mari and the new, weird Evas.

And then we get to 3.0 and it's full of brand new characters I have little-to-no connection to, Shinji is somehow worse than before (to the point of stupidity) and it doesn't feel much like Eva anymore. The preview at the end of 2.0 that looked quite promising was obviously thrown out and we got something completely new instead.

The thing is, I don't think Evangelion needs another storyline or alternate timeline, or whatever. What sold me on the Rebuild movies upon announcement was the idea that they were going to take the story we already know and (mostly) love, reanimate with it a huge budget and rework it so the shit parts of the series (of which there are quite a few) were gone. We'd finally get a perfect, ideal version of Evangelion!

But what we got instead was another storyline/alternate timeline set of movies with new characters that kind of suck and don't have the appeal of the old set (that fucking rubbish ship crew in Eva 3.0, blergh) and adds even more storyline confusion and nonsense canon that it really didn't need.

So I'm really not excited for 4.0 in the slightest, unfortunately. It seems like the best 'version' of the typical Evangelion storyline is through Sadamoto's manga instead, which is a shame.

knkng

Chill dude, it's only Anime

I will give it another shot, and i might be totally wrong but from what i've watched and heard seems like a Eva for dummies version, and i don't like training wheels on my mindfucks

Haha, sorry, I was just lost on your line of reasoning.

Without spoiling too much, there's a line from the second movie (or maybe it was the end of the first movie?) that goes "This time I'll make you happy" in reference to Shinji. You wouldn't be wrong to call it Eva for Dummies, but the whole intention is to change the course of events for these characters (for better or for worse). It's going to avert your expectations of the original TV series no matter what. I think the highlight of all this is the final act of the second movie. Just give it a shot and see how it sits with you, it's at least worth a look. :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's like taking a great burger, squeezing out all the juice out of the meat and then overloading it with toppings for maximum visual appeal while forgetting that you're supposed to actually eat the thing.

The rebuilds kind of forget what made the series so good. They cut out all of the - dare I say- depth with the characters and the themes and just go full retard with the crazy story and action.

Shinji is awesome in his own way in the TV series, but in rebuild Shinji is such a standard anime protagonist that does bad ass stuff that it kind of kills his development.

The third movie was just such a disaster I hated watching it, there was almost nothing about the third movie I could say I enjoyed, well maybe besides the mechanical design and Asuka.

The rebuilds are not about the characters they're about the Evas, they're about the over arching mythos of the series, and while the original eva show was disguised at first as some standard mecha anime by the end you realize it wasn't and that it was actually a very character driven experience. The goddamn rebuilds aren't.

They're shit, but they're the prettiest, most well produced pile of shit you'll ever set your eyes on.

Kilvas

1.11 is a good retelling of the origins of the show. I'd rather rewatch this than the episodes it covers in the show.

2.22 was a fun movie and the most entertaining for me. Things are different enough to enjoy it as its own thing. I really like Mari as a character; really refreshing for an EVA pilot to be having some fun.

3.33 - The music was top notch and the fan service had me gushing. I can appreciate that they are going in a different direction. I would be disappointed if all the films would have been 1:1 retellings. You can't recreate how the original series became so special. I think people will appreciate this more when we get the next one.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Mari's Poochie status, everyone feels like a parody of themselves in the third movie, and I'm still waiting for a fight half as dope as Asuka's in End of Evangelion. IDK. I don't have a burning hatred for Rebuild like some do, but I don't see the hype either.

Blader

And then we get to 3.0 and it's full of brand new characters I have little-to-no connection to, Shinji is somehow worse than before (to the point of stupidity) and it doesn't feel much like Eva anymore.

What? The only new character in the movies is Mari, who was introduced in 2.0.

Shinji is awesome in his own way in the TV series, but in rebuild Shinji is such a standard anime protagonist that does bad ass stuff that it kind of kills his development.

Shinji doesn't do any badass stuff in the movies that he also hadn't done in the tv series.

knkng

I totally agree with this, but it's kind of funny because Shinji's character in the TV series seems to be the one thing everybody always complains about, lol.

Although in fairness, Shinji's character in Rebuild works well if you consider it a continuation from the original series, as opposed to a retelling, which I imagine is what they were going for. I actually got a kick out of seeing Shinji "man up" in these movies.

Arkeband

Banned
I found it amusing one of the first replies to the thread was blissfully ignorant that the rebuilds have long been considered to be sequels. (and supposedly the manga also supports this now) - a 'reset' of the universe, but a continuation.

Rebuild 1.0 was good - it's certainly better than Berserk's Golden Age 1, if we were to compare other high-budget anime OVA "trilogies".

Rebuild 2.0 was even better - Mari's English VA is intense and the fight scenes are gorgeous.

Rebuild 3.0 is weird and experimental - a large majority of the movie, nothing really happens, and then the ending has Shinji act so irrational that it's out of character even for Shinji. I assume 4.0 will ease some of the pain of this one but there's also a chance it won't. (and a chance it will never exist)

The fact the west hasn't seen 3.33 is a fucking joke, and whoever has the rights to distribute it deserve some serious hate. I don't even understand what the fucking hold-up is. You're an anime distributor, do your goddamn jobs.

Moaradin

I liked the first two even though they were a bit dumbed down compared to the series. Still haven't seen the third movie because Funimation is taking forever.

Blader

Uh, the entire anti-NERV ship crew?

Weren't they all basically the NERV bridge crew? Now that I think of it there was a pink-haired girl somewhere in there, but c'mon, none of these are people are remotely important characters anyway. It's not like they dumped Misato/Ritsuko for completely new people.

The fact the west hasn't seen 3.33 is a fucking joke, and whoever has the rights to distribute it deserve some serious hate. I don't even understand what the fucking hold-up is. You're an anime distributor, do your goddamn jobs.

Khara/Anno didn't like Funi's dub of the movie and had them redo it. That may or may not have been held up by Anno's year-long depression where he didn't really work or even step foot in the studio.

kewlmyc

The first one is just the first 6 episodes of the TV anime but with way better budget, so it's fine.

The second one is a more action packed and less dire version of the middle of the series. Some fans of the old series don't like it because of this, but I loved it. A look at what a more laid back Evagelion would be like. Really like the second movie even if Mari added nothing to the plot.

I hated the third movie. It's like they realized they didn't make 2.22 aggravating enough for your old school Evangelion fan and went full force with this one.
Characters you liked previously are now assholes and make terrible decisions everywhere. I actively felt sorry for Shinji, well at least until his super stupid decision at the end of the movie. I can understand people who didn't know Shinji hating him since they didn't know what happened during the climax of 2.22, but Misato and the rest of old EVA giving him shit for causing the third impact is just sloppy and felt like forced drama. If Shinji lost that fight at the end of 2.22, the world would of been fucked regardless, so don't blame Shinji for a catch 22. The Curse of Eva is apparently eternal youth (oh no!) and totally not a reason to keep the kids young forever to sell merch. If you're too afraid of aging your main characters, then don't do a fucking time skip. Doesn't help that Mari and Asuka have the same childish personalities of their 14 year olds selves. How lazy. I'm not even going to bother describing how the climax of this movie is stupid. Why would Kaworu put the collar on himself?
Just a sloppy terrible movie that killed any hype I had for 4.0.

Do feel bad that the west hasn't officially gotten 3.33 yet. Get your shit together Funi. Will spoil my 3.33 talk due to that.

Superflat

I didn't care so much for the first 3/4s of 1.11, which was shot-for-shot like the series; the final act was the first sign of change, showing Shinji's growth and that maybe it will start going in a different direction.

2.22 was a fun action flick with reimagined battles and memorable scenes (beast mode). The glasses girl was an interesting addition but it pretty much just introduced her. Enjoyed the subtlely different takes on existing characters.

3.33 was insane, but I kinda liked it. It went over the deep end, changed all the characters, and Asuka looks like a proper villain (which is awesome). New Misato is also great. But the glasses girl proved to be a pointless character, even if she is surface-level entertaining on a pandery "otaku" level.

The Rebuild series will never come close to the original run of episodes and films, but it's plenty entertaining to follow.

Hmm I never really got that they were sequels. I didn't like how they deviated from the TV show. Could some explain to me their connection as sequels please? In spoilers of course.

knkng

Hmm I never really got that they were sequels. I didn't like how they deviated from the TV show. Could some explain to me their connection as sequels please? In spoilers of course.

For starters, the last shot in End of Evangelion is used as the first shot in 1.0.

Most of the residue from the original series, and specifically the original third impact are all present. This includes the red oceans, damaged landscapes, marked outlines of the previous Eva series, the red streak across the moon, etc. There are also some more hidden changes, such as the track on the cassette player going beyond where it did in the TV series.

And more to the point, there is a fair bit of dialogue which directly indicates this as a sequel. Kaworu's "This time I'll make you happy" line in particular.

And although it's debatable, I also like to imagine that the characters have somewhat evolved, and have learned from their mistakes by adjusting their personalities (this is most evident in 2.0 to me).

SoulUnison

Banned
I liked the first two, but 3.0 went totally off the rails.
The next movie might "save" it if it was building up to something, but I'm not super optimistic about it.

I don't understand the point of Mari. No, wait, I take that back. I do understand why she exists, I just hate it. She's got to be one of the most obvious and pointless "girl character because marketing and action figures" ever.
She feels extremely cynically designed to be everything that "otakus" love with no care of whether it makes sense for her to exist at all.

She's *incredibly* Mary Sue.

"Oh she's so mysterious but also quirky and cute! Oh, she make catgirl faces! Oh, she's the best pilot of them all for some reason and she's stealing Asuka's action scene!"

I also miss how some of the more interesting and trippy angels were skipped entirely.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
First two films were great, but 3 was really bad, destroyed any character development everyone had adquired in the last 2 movies plus introduced more cryptic shit that requiered you watch the og series anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom