• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the Rebuild of Evangelion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For starters, the last shot in End of Evangelion is used as the first shot in 1.0.

Most of the residue from the original series, and specifically the original third impact are all present. This includes the red oceans, damaged landscapes, marked outlines of the previous Eva series, the red streak across the moon, etc. There are also some more hidden changes, such as the track on the cassette player going beyond where it did in the TV series.

And more to the point, there is a fair bit of dialogue which directly indicates this as a sequel. Kaworu's "This time I'll make you happy" line in particular.

And although it's debatable, I also like to imagine that the characters have somewhat evolved, and have learned from their mistakes by adjusting their personalities (this is most evident in 2.0 to me).
My goodness I think I'm just dumb. I'm going to rewatch EoE and RoE now soon and see if it resonates with me more knowing this.

pbayne

Poor representations of characters-especially Asuka, Ritsuo and Minato. Plus the story is just kind of there...it's very straight forward compared to the original series. Mari is a worthless character and Karowu is in far too much.

Apart from that the films are still fairly enjoyable. I love that 3.33 just said "Fuck it" and became its own thing. Fully expect some complete mind-fuckery for the finale.

P.S. Where was my dancing episode?

Ban Puncher

1.0 - Get in the robot, Shinji.

2.0 - GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT, SHINJI.

3.0 -
Don't get in the robot, Shinji.

I liked seeing the same hate piled on 3.0 that EoE got 15 years prior.

In a decades time people will be calling it a fucking masterpiece.

Jawmuncher

Considering rebuild is what got me into the series I think 1.0 and 2.0 are pretty good. Still unsure about 3.0. Didn't hate it, but it's such a change with such a
cliffhanger
it bothers the hell out of me. Feels like the kind of film that needed its sequel closely after not whenever I feel like it, which is where we're at currently.

Poor representations of characters-especially Asuka, Ritsuo and Minato. Plus the story is just kind of there...it's very straight forward compared to the original series. Mari is a worthless character and Karowu is in far too much.

Apart from that the films are still fairly enjoyable. I love that 3.33 just said "Fuck it" and became its own thing. Fully expect some complete mind-fuckery for the finale.

P.S. Where was my dancing episode?

Kaworu has been a fan favorite for years and is one of the most popular characters of all time. It's only fitting that they add more of him. His presence brings out a lot more depth in Shinji's character and offers some cool insight into Seele and the Angels.

Dancing was replaced by the Eva the required two people to pilot it. In the previous for 4.0, there's an Eva that's half 02 and half 08, a nod to the dancing episode.

Mandelbo

I enjoyed 1.0 and 2.0, even if Mari seemed kinda shoehorned in. I've never seen the 3rd one, but I haven't heard much good about it. Has production even started on the final film? I swear that Anno went on hiatus or something after the reactions to 3.0.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
1.11 and 2.22 are in my top five anime movies (paired together for convenience) and some of my favorite movie of all time straight up. 3.33 though... If I said how I felt about 3.33 without a filter, it would probably get me re-tagged. It literally made my life worse. I'm gonna go for a bit before I heart rate gets too high. I need to prep before I type out these things.

Blader

3.0 -

It does make me wonder how EoE would be perceived if it were released today. Like, how would all the people complaining about Shinji in 3.0 react Shinji doing absolutely nothing in EoE?

andymcc

Banned

while there was definitely some mixed reactions from the fanbase, EoE wasn't as harshly received as people make it out be.

It does make me wonder how EoE would be perceived if it were released today. Like, how would all the people complaining about Shinji in 3.0 react Shinji doing absolutely nothing in EoE?

i think the criticism of 3.33 is partially due because of how successful of a work EoE is. An above poster called Mari a cynically designed character and I think you could lay the same claim against Eva 3.33. It's a film that tries desperately to evoke a lot of the same feelings and story beats as EoE but lacks a lot of the style, technical chops or character introspection.

maybe 4 will change how people feel about 3. i dunno.

Fj0823

Both scenarios were the result of Shinji's suffering.

In EoE he has seen so much shit he completely shuts down in depression. He has no hope left.

In 3.33 he clinges to that small glimmering hope to the point of irrational behaviour, when that hope is gone, he shuts down once again.

I don't see how it doesn't make sense.

3.0 -

EoE is a masterpiece?

I guess throwing in random references to the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Chamber of Guf are all it takes to make a masterpiece these days.

They removed the depth of characters, the original series had achieved, and what was left, were empty husks, they look great, but on further inspection, you conclude they are hollow and lifeless objects.

Misato is nothing but a shadow of her former self, in the rebuild, who was an important pillar in the original.

The rebuilds, when thought as their own entity, are good, but the second you compare them to the originals, they are utter shit, except the first, since it follows the original very well, even if it's a sequel to the world that has ended, but playing the same tune once again.

EoE was a master piece, an perfect ending to the world, it resided in, it needed no continuation. Some things should be left for the imagination.

Star Wars episode 1-3, is what the Rebuilds are to the Evangelion series.

Blader

i think the criticism of 3.33 is partially due because of how successful of a work EoE is. An above poster called Mari a cynically designed character and I think you could lay the same claim against Eva 3.33. It's a film that tries desperately to evoke a lot of the same feelings and story beats as EoE but lacks a lot of the style, technical chops or character introspection.

maybe 4 will change how people feel about 3. i dunno.

I don't really see it mimicking EoE's story beats at all. If anything, it's just a new version of episode 24.

EoE is a masterpiece?

I guess throwing in random references to the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Chamber of Guf are all it takes to make a masterpiece these days.

Of everything happening in that movie -- the Asuka/Eva fight, the characters' deaths, the mind-fucking imagery of Third Impact -- you're fixated on a couple esoteric references?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They decided they were tired of the old plotline in 3.33 and went with something completely off the rails.

That worked out as well as you might imagine such a thing would work out, like if Peter Jackson decided to do his own thing for Return of the King.

Best piano duet in all of anime though.

randomwab

I'm sick of waiting on the UK Blu-Ray release for 3.33, is there any Region B releases with English subs that I can import?

andymcc

Banned
I don't really see it mimicking EoE's story beats at all. If anything, it's just a new version of episode 24.

i think the shinji character arc is a little similar but you're probably right.

i feel the movie tries to be evocative in a sort of unearned fashion where as it was a kind of logical in EoE. Again, I hope 4.0 changes my mind on this because I quite enjoyed Rebuild 1 & 2.

Of everything happening in that movie -- the Asuka/Eva fight, the characters' deaths, the mind-fucking imagery of Third Impact -- you're fixated on a couple esoteric references?

lmao

They decided they were tired of the old plotline in 3.33 and went with something completely off the rails.

That worked out as well as you might imagine such a thing would work out, like if Peter Jackson decided to do his own thing for Return of the King.

It was the best Space Battleship Yamato cross EVA cross fanfiction I've ever seen.

It seemed like the most likely candidate for things that could trick certain people into thinking they were watching a masterpiece.

Blader

It seemed like the most likely candidate for things that could trick certain people into thinking they were watching a masterpiece.

You're probably right, definitely not the animation or music or series-long existential crises brought to their boiling point. It must have been the references!

This is really the whole series in a nutshell, even the original TV show. It was originally a drastically different story that lack of budget and depression ran it into something else entirely. Anno jettisoning original plot lines is tradition!

Jex

After yet another engaging and thoughtful discussion, (Thoughts on EoE), I took the initiative to finally watch the first three films in the Rebuild of Evangelion series. I'd like to use this thread for you to share your thoughts on the films, and any hopes/expectations for the final film.

Personally, I love love LOVE these films. It's so fascinating to see certain scenes reanimated with all the advances in animation we have today. 1.0 was such fan service, and the battles are always so exciting to watch. I highly recommend watching them on Blu-Ray.

I think the new character Mari is a great addition to the cast and doesn't feel shoe-horned or out of place with the existing characters. Certain characters like Ritsuko are seriously lacking in character development, but I'm assuming the creators intended for you to watch these films after you've seen the TV series.

As for the extreme changes in the storyline and mythos, count me in! I'm glad that it isn't just the series re-drawn and that it's a big departure from the story we all know. I think the new Eva designs are fantastic (especially Unit 13 from 3.0) and really liven up the story.

Of all the films, 3.0 has been my favorite. It's probably the furthest departure from the TV series and such an interesting twist as far as what I was expecting to happen after the end of 2.0. That, and the handling of Kaworu's character (the tension between him and Shinji was PALPABLE) are just ace. I really hope he returns in some form in the final film. The light-hearted, adventurous ending of this film is also something I far prefer to the psychological calamity that EoE goes for.

So, thoughts?
Interesting, I disagree with literally everything you've written here, on basically a point-for-point basis.

The animation is woeful, especially movies based on a major franchise. The writing (and re-writing) of the plot feels haphazard. A new character is literally parachuted into the story to sell more merchandise and nothing they do ever feels earned. Sometimes different events occur than in the series, but the result is ultimately the same. Characterisation, on the whole, is far worse than the series. Every new Eva unit design is painfully bad.

The Rebuild series is, if I am being generous, an amusing diversion. At worst, it's garbage that tarnishes an already over-milked franchise with the stink of desperation.

Truly, a series of films to be avoided at all costs.

pbayne

Kaworu has been a fan favorite for years and is one of the most popular characters of all time. It's only fitting that they add more of him. His presence brings out a lot more depth in Shinji's character and offers some cool insight into Seele and the Angels.

Dancing was replaced by the Eva the required two people to pilot it. In the previous for 4.0, there's an Eva that's half 02 and half 08, a nod to the dancing episode.

I like Kaworu too but I don't think he should be added just to please fans(or he shouldn't be expanded on to the detriment of more important characters.)

The movie also really changed his role from being a guy who questioned/threatened Shinji's sexuality to just being a full blown Yaoi pairing. I dunno he just seemed a lot more interesting when we knew little about him.

I really enjoy them. The changes are interesting to me and it's nice seeing not just familiar Eva scenes in HD but new ones as well.

Mari's probably one of my new favorites, not just because she is a blatant fan service character as anno stated (heck I have even bought a mari figure). I just like how she's basically new new weird/lazy one.

As for the subject of the third movie, I'm in the camp that liked it. Mostly because of the action but also the strange character differences after the time skip. As I said in the other thread, I think the whole "curse of Eva" thing mentioned in the movie is just a thinly veiled critique of the fans who wish to have the same evangelion they had when they were around 14-15. As for the final movie, I'm seriously hoping Anno will drive it all into the ground. Like I'm sure it won't be what anyone expects and people will complain, but I'll be there along the sidelines loving every minute of it.

Ralemont

not me
It's difficult to know how to feel about 3.0 without completing the Rebuild storyline (whenever that eventually happens) but my feelings at the moment are that it's trash. It skips over tons of essential story in order to throw the viewer into the same confused mindset as Shinji, and then devotes the rest of its time to Shinji being an idiot. If you're going to risk your entire plotline on the viewer being able to identify with Shinji's feelings and actions, then you really need to make sure he doesn't contract a tough case of plot-induced stupidity.

Moreover, taken as a retelling of the series, it feels redundant. While in some ways 3.0 is a big departure from the TV show, in other ways it becomes more of the same, in a bad way. The allure of the Rebuild was, as Anno put it, that these characters are the TV characters on medication. You begin to see that in 2.0 where, instead of sinking further into depression and insanity, the characters actually begin to communicate to each other and adjust to the challenges of life in healthy ways (Asuka being the best example, here). This manifests in Shinji's pro-active stance towards the end of the film. In 3.0 he reverts to being a whiny shit (until he becomes a stubborn, blind shit) and while I didn't mind the TV show pursuing the angle of people getting worse instead of better, in the Rebuild another angle on character development would have been appreciated. Instead, Asuka is back to being a snotty bitch, Rei is back to being emotionless, and Shinji is pulling "Shinjis" everywhere. Meanwhile Misato is being a bitch to Shinji for something that isn't his fault, which she never acknowledges. The TV show characters were "unlikable" characters that you nevertheless understood and sympathized with. 3.0's characters are just unlikable.

knkng

The Rebuild series is, if I am being generous, an amusing diversion. At worst, it's garbage that tarnishes an already over-milked franchise with the stink of desperation.

Come on now. I could understand if they tried to use this as a replacement for the original series, but it's just some fun expanded universe type stuff. Hell, the original series is being released on bluray in a couple months, so it's not like some George Lucas deal or anything.

Jex

Please. Bringing up what people may or may not say in the future is completely irrelevant. People know trash when they see it and they were happy to call 3.0 out as such.

Now, I've certainly read some spirited, well argued defences of the film on a thematic level but none of them manage to address or excuse the overall shittyness of the direction or the writing.

The End of Evangelion is certainly a flawed movie, but the raw power of it's haunting imagery alone is enough to grant it a seat at the table of great cinema. 3.0 isn't fit to eat EOE's left over.

There isn't a single scene I can even remember from 3.0 because it was such a jumbled, unappealing, mess. A true piece of anti-film, lacking in style and vision.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The End of Evangelion is certainly a flawed movie, but the raw power of it's haunting imagery alone is enough to grant it a seat at the table of great cinema. There isn't a single scene I can even remember from 3.0 because it was such a jumbled, unappealing, mess.

pianooooooooooooooo
song_siren.gif

Fjordson

I don't know shit about the original series, but I saw half of 1.11 once and enjoyed it a lot. And this thread just reminded me to order the first two rebuild blu-rays on Amazon, so thanks OP!

I'm determined to check out the original series someday, and I'd pay lots of money for a Western blu-ray box set, but it doesn't look like there's anything on the horizon so meh. Ain't got time for DVD's in 2015.

Jex

pianooooooooooooooo
song_siren.gif

I can only partly remember that shoe-horned in piece of fanservice because it felt about as pandering as the entire existence of Mari. Dumb.
Come on now. I could understand if they tried to use this as a replacement for the original series, but it's just some fun expanded universe type stuff. Hell, the original series is being released on bluray in a couple months, so it's not like some George Lucas deal or anything.
See, I've heard this argument before but I really don't buy it for a few reasons.

Firstly, the Rebuild of Evangelion is the first major work by Hideki Anno (I know a variety of stuff worked on this series of films, but his influence is clearly the most dominant) that feels entirely pointless. I can't feel any passion or emotion or desire behind its existence. It feels like a cash generating exercise that's as vapid and empty as Rei's expression. I don't see why it exists and the movies certainly don't make feel like the people who are making them care about them at all.

Secondly, if the Rebuild Of Evangelion series was going to be a clean break from the show, then it might be worth doing. If they dropped the format and structure of the series, along with its moody tone, and just made some crazy action adventure, then I might feel better about it. Instead, they partly re-created the original series, partly added fresh ideas in there, but they didn't really commit to making a fresh break from the series until the third movie. By that point, the tone has has basically started heading back towards the bleakness of the original series, so what's the point?

I just don't feel like there's anything left for Evangelion, as a franchise, to say. Hell, they could have practically ended everything after that jacking-off sequence and they would probably have been fine, on a thematic level.

daveo42

Banned
1.11 was pretty much a 1:1 retelling from the first portion of EVA. It was good and looked great.

2.22 was where some of the changes came in, including some good, some bad, and some odd cuts just to fit in a 3rd girl who was unneeded. Some of the impact from the original show is lost in a few scenes because of these cuts and changes, but the payoff at the end is 1000% worth it. Best of the rebuilds.

3.33 looks really good, but everything else is pure shit with the direction the story went in. Not sure if 4 will course correct before the end or be another troll movie out of left field. Either way I'll still watch it.

Shiina

It's fun to watch mecha action with Asuka. It's not Evangelion. It misses the entire point of Evangelion. So as long as you don't pretend that it's Evangelion I'm alright with it.

SoulUnison

Banned

I hate her stupid, stupid face.

"Ooh, her plug suit is *pink!* She's so aloof and cute! Look at her cat smile! She's got glasses! She likes the way Shinji smells, so quirky! And she's so good at piloting EVAs..for some reason... Now she's in Unit 02, who's Asuka, again?"

Anyone who likes this character should feel sad at how easily manipulated they are.

All through 3.33 she just sits around going "Whatever, I'm too cool to care." I just want to *strangle* her.

javac

Have no issue with them at all. I get this feeling that people think that this will erase the original series out of existence like some time paradox shit, chill the OG Eva isn't going anywhere, just enjoy it for what it is, which is more of Evangelion. Is it as good as the OG series? No, but it's not trying to be either, its a lot different, like Diebuster to Gunbuster, it seems to reflect the current time and Anime as a whole is a different beast to what it was back in 1995. Some great music, more excuse to make more awesome merch, and above everything else doing a great job of keeping the Eva franchise both relevant and in the collectives mind-share all these years later.

knkng

See, I've heard this argument before but I really don't buy it for a few reasons.

Firstly, the Rebuild of Evangelion is the first major work by Hideki Anno (I know a variety of stuff worked on this series of films, but his influence is clearly the most dominant) that feels entirely pointless. I can't feel any passion or emotion or desire behind its existence. It feels like a cash generating exercise that's as vapid and empty as Rei's expression. I don't see why it exists and the movies certainly don't make feel like the people who are making them care about them at all.

Secondly, if the Rebuild Of Evangelion series was going to be a clean break from the show, then it might be worth doing. If they dropped the format and structure of the series, along with its moody tone, and just made some crazy action adventure, then I might feel better about it. Instead, they partly re-created the original series, partly added fresh ideas in there, but they didn't really commit to making a fresh break from the series until the third movie. By that point, the tone has has basically started heading back towards the bleakness of the original series, so what's the point?

I just don't feel like there's anything left for Evangelion, as a franchise, to say.

I can't possibly disagree with any of your above arguments, but I still don't agree that any of this tarnishes the series in any way. They can very easily co-exist. Not to mention many people, including myself, have managed to get some enjoyment out of the Rebuild movies, and I suppose that's as close to a point as you'll ever get. At the very least, I could argue that the Rebuild movies help to accentuate you're appreciation of the original series. :p

Hell, they could have practically ended everything after that jacking-off sequence and they would probably have been fine, on a thematic level.
I love this idea.

Laputa_94

The first 2 films introduced me to Evangelion. I then watched the series followed by EOE afterwards. Then the third film came out then I realized just how bad rebuild is when compared to the original.

Replicant

Mari is fucking useless. Only used to say things to Shinji that other characters should have said because let's face it, she's never gone through the situation with Shinji like others have.

3.0/3.33 was wasted on useless time jump. Everyone looks similar because of 'curse'? WTF, that's one handy curse.

Jackpot

Banned

The plot is irredeemable. At least in EoE shit was going down all the time even if it didn't quite make sense. 3.33 is three acts of nothingness that could have been compressed into one scene if someone had just acted vaguely like a real person.

bengraven

Actually all this sounds pretty awesome to me.

I loved the series, my first boxed set ever. I'd love to see an alternate take. And all these changes sound good.

Except I'm a bit upset that apparently Asuka loses some of her focus.

SoulUnison

Banned
Actually all this sounds pretty awesome to me.

I loved the series, my first boxed set ever. I'd love to see an alternate take. And all these changes sound good.

Except I'm a bit upset that apparently Asuka loses some of her focus.

She doesn't just lose focus, she's basically put on a bus (
in the wrong EVA
) and replaced by Mari.

Replicant

Okay, I didn't mention the positive after being down about Mari and 3.0. But I have to say that I like how almost every character in this one seems to have developed than their previous iteration(s):

Shinji: less shut-in, more willing to make the first move instead of standing still and doing nothing (even though doing so sometimes that fucks things up even more - the poor guy can't get a break)
Asuka: Have a lot more awareness of how her actions impact others, a lot more knowledgable about the secret going on within NERV, (so far) not as hostile towards Rei - just indifferent.
Rei: Has a greater sense of self-preservation than her 3 versions in the first series combined. Her first instinct when her Eva would explode was to eject herself out ("What would Rei Ayanami do? Aw, fuck this shit, I'm leaving").

SoulUnison

Banned
She dies?
I mean, I guess they already said enough about her character in the first series, maybe more so than Rei and Shinji.

No, she doesn't die, she just... Doesn't really do anything.
Mari even takes over Unit 02 and is its pilot during its best action scene, becoming, literally, SUPER BEAST MODE MARY SUE!

Seriously. She's like the worst self-insert character ever.
"She's super awesome and she pilots Unit 02 better than Asuka even without the sync ratio Asuka would have with it *and* she knows the secret password to make EVAs go into super shounen-sentai mode!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom