• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the Rebuild of Evangelion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is 3.33 in the west? That's my thoughts on rebuild of evangelion.

I really want to give people money in return for receiving a blu-Ray containing that movie, with a reasonable English dub (as reasonable as 1.11 and 2.22 at least), and that it will play in my US Blu-Ray player.

Personally, I am in the camp that it is the "next" run through of human instrumentality, and is thus a "sequel" series to the original TV run and EoE.

Parfait

The first two were great. The third one was trash on the level of fuck everything. That's not a plot device, it's trash writing that should have gone into the dumpster where it belonged.

Blader

The plot is irredeemable. At least in EoE shit was going down all the time even if it didn't quite make sense. 3.33 is three acts of nothingness that could have been compressed into one scene if someone had just acted vaguely like a real person.

I don't see how that's a defense for EoE but not 3.33. Nothing fits that description better than 3.33!

Mari is fucking useless. Only used to say things to Shinji that other characters should have said because let's face it, she's never gone through the situation with Shinji like others have.

3.0/3.33 was wasted on useless time jump. Everyone looks similar because of 'curse'? WTF, that's one handy curse.

Even though it's an obvious excuse to keep the pilots the same (physical) age, the curse is prolonged exposure to LCL, which makes a weird sort of fountain of youth sense when you consider that LCL is the blood of Lilith, who's basically the creator god in Eva.

3.0 is trash. That is all. Why the heck it's called Rebuild when they're ruining the franchise?

It's not actually called Rebuild, the official title of the movie series is Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition. Which is it exactly what it is!

Shauni

So, reading through this thread, I'm seeing people say 3.0 was a continuation to the original show? Huh, what, was this actually said or implied, because I don't know how I missed that. I need to see it when it hits Blu-ray in the US (if it ever does...) again or something.

When Anno feels like it.

Could be a while because he's doing a new Godzilla right now.

Do what? He just abandoned it?

Blader

So, reading through this thread, I'm seeing people say 3.0 was a continuation to the original show? Huh, what, was this actually said or implied, because I don't know how I missed that. I need to see it when it hits Blu-ray in the US (if it ever does...) again or something.

Not just 3.0, but the movie series as a whole. It's just a theory though (for now).

Do what? He just abandoned it?

After 3.0 came out, Anno sank into a depression for about a year and didn't really work or even enter the studio. And since then he's been working on this anime shorts online exhibition thing and is also gearing up to co-direct a Godzilla movie for next year. I think some pre-production work on Final has been done on the sidelines here and there, but basically he's had his attention split elsewhere.

Wow, from people's impressions 3.33 sounds like it might be on par with this....

1267723778_4958-39-optimize_d_zpsqrjljidm.jpg

Roots Search for those who want to see what might the the worst anime ever.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
adding to what i said earlier, 2.0 is probably the greatest piece of media in Eva history, it manages to develop it's characters greatly, have good action, and deviate from the original plot while being still in the same spirit.

3.0 is the worst piece of trash Anno has made.

Shauni

Not just 3.0, but the movie series as a whole. It's just a theory though (for now).

Oh, okay, because I was about to say...I really didn't remember that. But 3.33 is so weird, I wouldn't be surprised if I missed it.

After 3.0 came out, Anno sank into a depression for about a year and didn't really work or even enter the studio. And since then he's been working on this anime shorts online exhibition thing and is also gearing up to co-direct a Godzilla movie for next year. I think some pre-production work on Final has been done on the sidelines here and there, but basically he's had his attention split elsewhere.

Hm, him sinking into a deep depression last time got up End of Evangelion, right?

This thread made me realize how much I miss the TV series. I just checked Amazon and am kinda shocked there is no US Bluray release. And the DVD collection is ridiculously pricey. Kind of shameful to see this great show is so hard to get.

I loved the movies, but my heart will always be with the original series.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This thread made me realize how much I miss the TV series. I just checked Amazon and am kinda shocked there is no US Bluray release. And the DVD collection is ridiculously pricey. Kind of shameful to see this great show is so hard to get.

I loved the movies, but my heart will always be with the original series.
I believe the blu-ray release of the TV series will come out next year. I read that on a previous thread.

Who knows when the US will see that release.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
3.0 was not good but I have this lingering feeling of respect for it? That took balls.

But I do remember a lot of the plot points revolved around Shinji being a dumbass and blindly doing really bad things for no reason.. Things that could have been cleared up if he asked any other character in the movie.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
She doesn't just lose focus, she's basically put on a bus (
in the wrong EVA
) and replaced by Mari.

She dies?
I mean, I guess they already said enough about her character in the first series, maybe more so than Rei and Shinji.

Asuka really got shortchanged in Rebuild. I think it's fine if they felt they looked through her backstory well enough already in the show and didn't feel the need to do so again, but do something with her. No fight like she had in EoE, no diving into why she's so damaged, no examining her character in any real interesting way. Instead we get Asuka in the kitchen cooking for Shinji while Poochie's trying to jack her scenes.

I was really bummed out with how she was handled.

KTallguy

Banned
Mari is terrible. A waste of screen time.

3.0 is... interesting but ultimately less compelling than the original series. It has a lot of cool, isolated moments but it doesn't convey much when taken as the sum of its parts.

The film format means that many previously important supporting characters are underdeveloped.

Shinji is a bit more likeable overall. Rei and Asuka fighting over making food for Shinji is a bit moronic... I don't like that harem bullshit. I thought their relationships were more interesting in the series.

I can't wait for that blu-ray eva show box. All over my face, please.

Rell

3.33 was fine. I really liked 2.22 and was sort of let down by the amount of recycled footage in 1.11 (I get it though it was the first movie and nobody really knew what kind of reception it would receive).

I saw 3.33 in theaters over a year ago and the English dub was more than acceptable. The dialogue was definitely very stylized, but I definitely liked it. There were a lot of very well delivered lines. And the parts that didn't make sense (the entire ending sequence) and turned character motivations on their ears arbitrarily was still represented in the original script.

3.33 was a glorious troll, I loved it, and love the fact that the preview in 2.22 is the only clue we get to what happened in all those years.

I don't really agree with the first bit, but the 2.22 preview is something I don't think a lot of people immediately picked up on. I thought it was a pretty decent way to deal with an obvious shift of plans and priorities.

There better be something phenomenal on an End of Evangelion scale planned for the next movie.

Jacob

1.0 was kinda dull if you've seen the show, but it's pretty to look at and does the necessary legwork to get the reboot going. 2.0 is probably the best one so far, though I wasn't as positive about it as some. 3.0, well...

AHuYilC.gif

I watched this at Otakon 2013 in a room with like 2000 other people, and it was only the collective sense of energy and excitement that got me through the film. I still can't believe this movie was over 90 minutes long given how little happens in it. Felt like it really backtracked on the character development from the end of 2.0 (Misato was more like a personality 180 I guess) and doesn't replace it with anything meaningful, much less satisfying. The homoerotic piano sessions of Shinji and Kaoru were pretty good but yeah. Just a boring and uneventful movie overall. IMO of course.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
1st one is okay, 2nd one is amazing with all that action scene, Shinji characterization, and that ending.
3rd... honestly, i feel like watching a prologue or some sort. Too many question left unanswered and so many WTF moment. Maybe watching 4 will change my mind about 3rd movie

I really enjoyed all three. 1.11 was just a sight to behold when it came out. 2.22 made some significant changes which I feel were a nice change of pace.

As for 3.33. Some people like to say it makes no sense. I say that it making no sense is intentional. You're put in the same situation as Shinji is. You're as confused as he is, you learn things as he does. I actually enjoy that method of storytelling.

Replicant

3.0 was not good but I have this lingering feeling of respect for it? That took balls.

But I do remember a lot of the plot points revolved around Shinji being a dumbass and blindly doing really bad things for no reason.. Things that could have been cleared up if he asked any other character in the movie.

Actually, he did ask. But everyone is being all salty and pissy and never once bothered explaining shit to him. Kaworu wants to explain it to him but he too got deceived by Gendou who's upped his A-game. Shinji meant well but he too, like Kaworu, got deceived and his good intention ended up fucking things up instead.

DocSeuss

I can only partly remember that shoe-horned in piece of fanservice because it felt about as pandering as the entire existence of Mari. Dumb.

See, I've heard this argument before but I really don't buy it for a few reasons.

Firstly, the Rebuild of Evangelion is the first major work by Hideki Anno (I know a variety of stuff worked on this series of films, but his influence is clearly the most dominant) that feels entirely pointless. I can't feel any passion or emotion or desire behind its existence. It feels like a cash generating exercise that's as vapid and empty as Rei's expression. I don't see why it exists and the movies certainly don't make feel like the people who are making them care about them at all.

Secondly, if the Rebuild Of Evangelion series was going to be a clean break from the show, then it might be worth doing. If they dropped the format and structure of the series, along with its moody tone, and just made some crazy action adventure, then I might feel better about it. Instead, they partly re-created the original series, partly added fresh ideas in there, but they didn't really commit to making a fresh break from the series until the third movie. By that point, the tone has has basically started heading back towards the bleakness of the original series, so what's the point?

I just don't feel like there's anything left for Evangelion, as a franchise, to say. Hell, they could have practically ended everything after that jacking-off sequence and they would probably have been fine, on a thematic level.

I have never read such a meanderingly pointless misunderstanding of something as this post.

"it doesn't feel passionate," and "I would like it if it was 'some crazy action adventure."

What?

This is a continuation of the original series' time loop. Shinji has rebuilt the universe, and everyone is acting out their lives again, but things are changing. There's a huge amount of love and care that's gone into making this thing and the changes it does. It's not some random, passionless cash-in.

Based on your comments, I'm not sure you really understand what Evangelion is.

danielcw

My bad, used to saying that in localization threads. I guess 3.33 only hasn't been released in the US at this point.
Actually after I wrote my "The West" question I looked for Evangelion on Amazon.co.uk, and was surprised to see, that there is no dedicated Blu-ray for the UK. The first result on Amazon.co.uk is actually the German Blu-ray, which as far as I know is useless to English speakers, at least on its own.
Well, at least there is also a French Blu-ray.

Since the German Blu-ray came pretty late, I kinda expected the other countries to already have the movie.

Doe the Japanese Blu-ray have English subtitles?
It should work on US-Blu-ray players.

It's fun to watch mecha action with Asuka. It's not Evangelion. It misses the entire point of Evangelion. So as long as you don't pretend that it's Evangelion I'm alright with it.

What is the entire point of Evangelion in your opinion?

Shiina

What is the entire point of Evangelion in your opinion?

It's a psychological coming of age drama that does a good job at showing you the flaws and weaknesses of all its characters, even if it may not have been intended to be that. Rebuild has almost none of that, Eva-themed mecha action would describe it better.

Shauni

The entire Rebuild/new movies look like a continuation of the original series/movies. The sea looking red, Kaworu's remark, etc.

It's clearly playing on similar ideas, but the whole story and state of the characters are different from what they were at the end of End of Evangelion?

danielcw

It's clearly playing on similar ideas, but the whole story and state of the characters are different from what they were at the end of End of Evangelion?

But the only characters who would remember or be influenced, would be Shinji, who can have a world shaped by his wish, and higher beings like Kaworu, who understand what happened before.

Blader

The sea being red and the blood stain on the movie aren't necessarily signs that time is repeating itself. Those could just be the effects of Second Impact in the movie universe. In the TV show, Second Impact does turn the sea red, though only in Antarctica.

In fact, I think Kaji even says in 2.0 that the red sea was caused by Second Impact, iirc.

It's a psychological coming of age drama that does a good job at showing you the flaws and weaknesses of all its characters, even if it may not have been intended to be that. Rebuild has almost none of that, Eva-themed mecha action would describe it better.

Rebuild still does this, it's just mainly framed around Shinji, which was a conscious decision on Anno's part. Naturally since there's less time to four movies than a 26-episode tv series, they have to pare down the amount of character development given to some of the supporting players.

Zoe

The sea being red and the blood stain on the movie aren't necessarily signs that time is repeating itself. Those could just be the effects of Second Impact in the movie universe. In the TV show, Second Impact does turn the sea red, though only in Antarctica.

In fact, I think Kaji even says in 2.0 that the red sea was caused by Second Impact, iirc.

We don't know how far back the reset would have gone, what effect it would have had on people, etc.

Kaoru appears to be conscious of his previous relationship with Shinji though.

kewlmyc

One reason why I hate 3.0 so much. Nearly all of its problems could have been solved with one conversation with Shinji that wasn't cryptic as fuck. I hate it when movies/tv shows have conflicts that can be solved with a simple conversation. Only a few exceptions.

Replicant

One reason why I hate 3.0 so much. Nearly all of its problems could have been solved with one conversation with Shinji that wasn't cryptic as fuck. I hate it when movies/tv shows have conflicts that can be solved with a simple conversation. Only a few exceptions.

I'm still annoyed about it but a lot more forgiving on this issue after I encountered someone who'd done the same thing to me. He behaved in a fucking strange manner and no matter how much time I tried to ask him what is going on, he refused to do so. I have no choice but to let it go and hope that he'll be normal again soon because asking for it just pushing him away.

But that was one person. The annoying thing about 3.0 is that EVERY SINGLE ONE of those characters are doing it to Shinji. Surely, one of them could just explain it to him. It's like all of them have collectively become one jackass.

danielcw

Is this still theory, or is this something that's said in the film?

Theory, and it matters only in context of the post I replied to.
If the movies indeed follow EoE or the TV-series, the characters being different would be fine and explainable.

Shauni

Theory, and it matters only in context of the post I replied to.
If the movies indeed follow EoE or the TV-series, the characters being different would be fine and explainable.

Well, yeah, as long as that theory ends up being corrected anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom