• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the upcoming game Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
No one's really talking about it. I've seen gameplay videos of it and it looks really mediocre. The combat looks super dull and outdated. The visuals aren't bad, but nothing stands out. The setting to me is interesting, but the areas themselves look wholly uninteresting.

That doesn't mean it can't turn out to be a great game, but I remember people being excited when it was announced, but there hasn't been a lot of this game being marketed(at least from what I've seen) and the gameplay reveals have done nothing to impress me.

Anyone think this game has potential or is this destined to be a 6.8 Metacritic score title that everyone forgets about by April?

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Combat looks janky af. If it has a great story where your actions help shape whats going on, and it has some emotional kick - then i'm happy to try it. I don't have high hopes, but would love to be totally wrong.

Anime-Vix

As another poster said, it releasing in a packed month. Persona 3,TR remaster,FF7, Helldivers 2 and SS squad. The game looks interesting but it releasing at
a poor time. If it was a Gamepass launch title, I would have checked it out but my budget just won't allow me to get it.

Flabagast

I like Dontnod and their games but they have not yet communicated a single interesting thing about this future title imho

What Are You Saying Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Never heard of it. Looked up Dontnod, I will say I played that Jusant demo a few months back and thought it was pretty cool all things considered.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Here's 24 min of gameplay. I've been interested for a while since its Dontnod.

After watching this it kind of feels more like a Sony game than I realized. There is a lot of focus on story but I'm not convinced its compelling yet. There's walking through cracks in walls. Meh.

The combat seems pretty cool conceptually with how you can switch to the ghost girl mid combo even and switch back. I like how you can swap between ghost world and back. Finding the echoes and the weird fast forward time ghost speed jumps reminds me of Remember Me.

I need to see more interesting elements to make it a day 1; story or some kind of additional gameplay hook besides "cinematic." Ghost platforming, RPG elements, more interesting level design, anything. So I'm waiting for reviews. Seems at worst like a 7 but maybe its higher than that. Will likely get on sale.

Last edited:

ungalo

The GoW inspiration is heavy to say the least. I don't really like the new God of War combats so i don't have any hope i will like the midbudget version of it.

And i don't like the setting and tone either, i think it looks much less interesting than what they achieved with Vampyr.

But i'm sure it's made with good intentions so i hope it doesn't bomb.

Fbh

The setting seems interesting and I like the idea with the dual protagonists.

But every gameplay video I've seen looks like a mix of boring traversal with janky combat.
I hope it ends up surprising, but from what I've seen it looks like it will go into the same "good idea, bad execution" category as some of their other games (Like Remember Me and Vampyr)

Neilg

I feel like I'm reasonably on top of what's going on with videogames, but this is the first I've heard of it and the end of Jan - March release schedule is giving me a 6 month backlog. Not a great time to put a game out.

Duchess

I'll play it at some point, but it's not high on my wishlist.

Last action game of theirs I played was Vampyr. I loved the atmosphere and moral ambiguity of the game, but it crashed CONSTANTLY on my PS4. At least once an hour. I binned the game off in the end, because it was simply unplayable.

bbeach123

This kind of game design make sense with the ps3/Ps4 (gow /lou1) because of weaker hardrive . Force slow walk , hide load screen , small playable area .

But its weird seeing this on next(current) gen imo , even Sony has been moving away from this kind of game design (lou2 even had bigger playable area) .

Last edited:
I feel like I'm reasonably on top of what's going on with videogames, but this is the first I've heard of it and the end of Jan - March release schedule is giving me a 6 month backlog. Not a great time to put a game out.
Sometimes there are AA or AAA games that just either get bad marketing or don’t stick out enough.

Last year’s games were Immortals of Aveum and Atlas Fallen. Both are decent B games, gameplay wise.

This is a 2024 version of that situation. Every time someone has brought this game up they simply describe it as ‘the third person game where the guy has a ghost girlfriend’ because they can’t remember the title a week after it’s shown.

S0ULZB0URNE

Here's 24 min of gameplay. I've been interested for a while since its Dontnod.

After watching this it kind of feels more like a Sony game than I realized. There is a lot of focus on story but I'm not convinced its compelling yet. There's walking through cracks in walls. Meh.

The combat seems pretty cool conceptually with how you can switch to the ghost girl mid combo even and switch back. I like how you can swap between ghost world and back. Finding the echoes and the weird fast forward time ghost speed jumps reminds me of Remember Me.

I need to see more interesting elements to make it a day 1; story or some kind of additional gameplay hook besides "cinematic." Ghost platforming, RPG elements, more interesting level design, anything. So I'm waiting for reviews. Seems at worst like a 7 but maybe its higher than that. Will likely get on sale.

Oh gawd we gotta listen to her talking to him while playing.

StueyDuck

Shitty (woke) company.
Expectations are low.
i remember having really high hopes for dontnod after remember me, a flawed game with interesting ideas and story...

but yeah they really have just been dropping in quality with each release. I wish them well but as you say, with how hard they try push agendas now i don't know if i could even bother to try a game like this. (i've heard good things about Jusant, but with games media you never know, is it just good because the main character has mental health issues or something dumb like that)

Last edited:

Xtib81

I played it for 30min at the PGW and it's okay. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing bad. It's reminiscent of GOW, be it in terms of combat or world exploration.

Maddanth

I believe this game was already delayed out of November due to it being so packed . Lately every month seems packed tho so I guess release it and hopefully it's good at very least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom