• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ 4Q results to exceed prior expectations, lose less money

PR Link
Year-End Cash Balance of $76 Million Significantly Exceeds Prior Guidance

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Apr 18, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) --THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today provided preliminary, unaudited financial results for the fourth quarter ended March 31, 2012.

For the fourth quarter, THQ expects to report non-GAAP net sales of $160 million to $170 million, which is above the company's previous outlook of non-GAAP net sales in the range of $130 million to $150 million. Revised net sales expectations reflect:

1. continued strong net sales of the critically-acclaimed Saints Row(R): The Third(TM), which to date has shipped in more than four million units;
  2. higher-than-expected digital sales, largely driven by the robust digital content of Saints Row: The Third; and
  3. slightly higher-than-expected net sales of UFC(R) Undisputed(R) 3, which was released mid-February 2012 to highly-favorable critical reviews, achieving an average Metacritic score of 85.

The company currently expects a fiscal fourth quarter non-GAAP net loss per share in the range of $0.10 to $0.20, compared to its previous expectation of a net loss per share in the range of $0.35 to $0.50.

THQ expects to report cash and cash equivalents of approximately $76 million at March 31, 2012, three times higher than the previous expectation for its year-end cash balance, due to better-than-expected operating results in the fourth quarter, as well as earlier-than-anticipated cash receipts. Additionally, the company ended the quarter with no outstanding borrowings on its $50 million credit facility, and did not borrow against the facility during the quarter. The company expects to utilize a substantial portion of its cash and cash equivalents as well as its credit facility as it launches its slate for the 2013 fiscal year, beginning with Darksiders(R) II.

THQ's GAAP results for the fourth quarter ended March 31, 2012 are expected to include non-cash software development charges of approximately $30 million to $50 million resulting from decisions made related to the company's previously-announced product strategy.

THQ will report full GAAP and non-GAAP fiscal 2012 fourth quarter and full-year results, along with a reconciliation of those results, and provide its outlook for fiscal 2013 on Tuesday, May 15, 2012. Conference call details will be provided closer to the date.

They aren't quite out of the woods yet but if the games coming up this next FY perform to expectation, they should be in great shape going ahead in the future with their greatly reduced cost structure.

I expect the stock to jump up pretty big today, so congrats are in order to those of us who hopped on this train cheaply!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Good.

THQ is a good publisher and really don't deserve to die just because of uDraw HD bomba, Relic,Vigil and Volition are amazing studios and they are one of the best PC supporters out there.

Leucrota

Yeah, no need to kill the IP just because of that RF Armageddon abomination,I hope they give it a 2nd chance after inSane.

IDK, liked Armageddon a little more if you remove dat last mission for RFG.

Horde mode, if I had friends to actually play it with, looked like it would have been awesome with the destruction and far better weapons RFA had over RFG.

Didn't they eliminate games in development that are still early in development. That probably decreased their operational expenditures quite a bit.

EYEL1NER

That's awesome news!
Hopefully Darksiders 2 sells well and doesn't wind up having a ton of people sitting around saying "Eh, looks good but the first one dropped in price quick. I'll wait for the bomba."
That's the last thing THQ needs or this game deserves.

As much as I dislike the idea of big ass publishers, I'm pulling for THQ. They are the underdogs with perhaps the strongest selection of original titles in the future, not to mention one of the few publishers to still do the pc right.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Now bring me WH40K: Space Marine 2 damnit! >:^(

theBishop

Banned
Nice to see a quality game saving the day. I'm looking forward to Darksiders 2, but I really think they should find ways to milk Saints Row in the near term. Port to more platforms, maybe develop a browser version. That series is their mealticket.

theBishop

Banned
Please don't die, THQ. I need you to make another (good) Red Faction game.

Maybe i'm crazy, but I'd like to see Red Faction return to its roots. A class struggle set on Mars with lots of destructibility. Do that with Killzone3-style graphics and I will buy. The best shot might be to have it ready early on the next consoles. In the same period Lost Planet released this generation.

Toy Headquarters will rise again and and deliver unto us another good Red Faction game, so sayeth I on this day the year of our Lord amen.

Scirrocco

Great news. More Saints Row and (hopefully) more Space Marine can't be bad things. Though I suppose now i should actually buy SR3 to support the company...

Top Bottom