• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ 4Q results to exceed prior expectations, lose less money

Ploid 3.0

cc6df1079ae49dbd95466250d7d2805b8c0c3b0b.gif

Congrats Volition, bring on SR4!

ghibli99

Awesome. Great lineup and excellent momentum.

And to everyone that *wanted* the company to fail? Yes, they made some bad decisions... you've made bad decisions in your life too, but you don't hear people around you saying you should just die because of them. What kind of thinking is this? What we can hope is that they learn from them and don't repeat them in the future. At least not to the extent of a Homefront or uDraw 360/PS3.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, no need to kill the IP just because of that RF Armageddon abomination,I hope they give it a 2nd chance after inSane.
RF:G didn't sell all that well either. The engine is fantastic but the license is too generic. What they need is a GeoMOD Saints Row. Maybe next gen, if they last it that long.

RF:G didn't sell all that well either. The engine is fantastic but the license is too generic. What they need is a GeoMOD Saints Row. Maybe next gen, if they last it that long.
It didn't tank though the way Armageddon did. Console version alone sold over a million across a couple months, I don't think that's anything to sneeze at.

If they'd made a Guerrilla 2 I expect it would have gotten increased sales the way most sequels these days do. But they fucked it up.

Good news for now but I don't think they will be able to support future AAA development, especially during this lull between generations. They are going to have to do something creative to get by. I still believe that getting bought out is still on the table.

stuminus3

Banned
It's a shame that this is largely in part due to the nickel and diming of Saints Row 3 DLC content. It left me a little sour on an otherwise splendid game - to the point where I'd rather not buy another Saint's Row at full price sans DLC content.

MYeager

Good.

THQ is a good publisher and really don't deserve to die just because of uDraw HD bomba, Relic,Vigil and Volition are amazing studios and they are one of the best PC supporters out there.

The uDraw bomb is certainly a factor, but there was far more mismanagement than just that. Homefront was what started tanking their stock in the first place, they have a lot of expensive licensing that they're not doing much with, etc.

As it is they have a little more than 60 days to get their stock above a $1 for 10 consecutive days or be delisted from NASDAQ. It's currently at .57 cents after recently seeing it as low as .45 cents.

It's a shame that this is largely in part due to the nickel and diming of Saints Row 3 DLC content. It left me a little sour on an otherwise splendid game - to the point where I'd rather not buy another Saint's Row at full price sans DLC content.
Yeah it is a bummer especially considering the quality just isn't there either.

They should have copied Rockstar and just made one or two very large expansions instead of all the little stuff.

boingball

Good news for THQ.

Though it still sounds like they need Darksiders II to come through for them. I am not sure that that will work out.

MYeager

edit: yes, they just need to fire everyone involved with uDraw, and not fuck about with the core teams, and they'll be fine.

Good news is, they did that first part in December.

Bad news is, they also laid off a decent portion of the core teams too since then.

Haunted

Still just a shell of what they were just a few years ago in terms of studios/subsidiaries and overall size.

If they can keep that skeleton running a bit longer, great. They still have some very solid IPs, and the few devs they have left are quality.

Good for THQ. They needed to catch a break.

I hope Darksiders 2 can help them out.

I think THQ really got hurt with the kiddie market collapsing in view of free online games, ipads, iTouch, iPhones, Android, etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still just a shell of what they were just a few years ago in terms of studios/subsidiaries and overall size.

If they can keep that skeleton running a bit longer, great. They still have some very solid IPs, and the few devs they have left are quality.

They may be a shell of what they were, but they have something that I can't say for any other publisher. I would buy anything they publish from this point on. All of their studios last games have been fantastic titles. Space Marine, WWE All Stars, Saint's Row 3, Darksiders. All some of my favorite games. They're all talented developers who could find somewhere else to publish their game, but I think the THQ ecosystem of them being affiliated is great. What would Space Marine be without the Darksiders engine? What would WWE All Stars be like if Yukes was overseeing? What would Saint's Row be able to get away with under other publishers? Things like that. I think that's one thing that I've really learned to appreciate about THQ games. They may not be best in class at everything, but they're incredibly fun. All of those games made me feel awesome when I played them.

I imagine THQ can survive as a smaller publisher if they keep that in mind and focus on what they have. For now, at least.

LOCK

I'm buying DS2 twice just for them. And because I can't wait to play it on the Wii U, but will have to play the Wii U version also.

Tron 2.0

It's good news for THQ, but I think it's only a temporary reprieve.

One megabomb and they're completely out of business.

But at least they'll be able to advertise Darksiders II now.

Aselith

It's good news for THQ, but I think it's only a temporary reprieve.

One megabomb and they're completely out of business.

But at least they'll be able to advertise Darksiders II now.

Depends on how their portfolio does this year. I'd expect Darksiders to put up some good numbers as well as DOW3 so that could give them some additional breathing room for this year and I'd expect the South Park game to do solid numbers though it probably won't se4t the world on fire. Obviously Devil's Third is going to bomb in 2013 but I think inSane could be a nice hit for them as survival horror tends to do well and Metro: Last Light will do well too.

One hit doesn't make them a star again but if they put up decent numbers with what looks to be an excellent lineup over the next two years, they could be back in a good position. They don't even have to do amazing numbers, just solid.

The good thing about their troubles is that it caused them to shake off the dross of all the licensed shit so that will help them a LOT long term.

scitek

The good thing about their troubles is that it caused them to shake off the dross of all the licensed shit so that will help them a LOT long term.

It's funny how right the Take-Two guy was about that. Hopefully THQ has a decent enough list of original IPs to keep them afloat for the time being, and they'll have the chance to expand on that in the future.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Depends on how their portfolio does this year. I'd expect Darksiders to put up some good numbers as well as DOW3 so that could give them some additional breathing room for this year and I'd expect the South Park game to do solid numbers though it probably won't se4t the world on fire. Obviously Devil's Third is going to bomb in 2013 but I think inSane could be a nice hit for them as survival horror tends to do well and Metro: Last Light will do well too.

One hit doesn't make them a star again but if they put up decent numbers with what looks to be an excellent lineup over the next two years, they could be back in a good position. They don't even have to do amazing numbers, just solid.

Survival horror does well if you're Resident Evil or something similar. Otherwise you're hosed.

Top Bottom