• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Closes THQ Brisbane, Phoenix, Blue Tongue (de Blob), 200 Layoffs, MXvsATV = Dead

tim.mbp

Nuclear Muffin said:
Well, that's one more publisher down. Leaving Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Take Two as the only major 3rd party pubs left.

There's ZeniMax Media, Valve and Warner Bros. Plus the 3rd party publishers from Japan.

Horrible news.

But I thought De Blob was originally created by Ronimo Games?

I guess the Wii versions were done by Blue Tongue?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
tim.mbp said:
There's ZeniMax Media, Valve and Warner Bros. Plus the 3rd party publishers from Japan.
I think he only meant Western, but yeah, ZeniMax and Warner are as big as THQ these days.

Valve I would find hard to call a big publisher though since they only really have one development studio and only publish their own games.

tim.mbp said:

Well, I was talking mainly about the western 3rd party publishers and TBH the 3 you mentioned aren't really on the same level as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Take Two and (at least last generation) THQ in terms of size.

Still, you're right, at least we've got some others left (plus the Japanese publishers).

Gaming has become even more consolidated and homogenised than Hollywood!

Busty

Banned
tim.mbp said:

The name of the game (much like the film industry could be in a few years) is consolidation. And given the state of the economy the whole process could be accelerated.

It doesn't feel like the 'big guys getting bigger' but more like the smaller guys aren't able to live hand-to-mouth anymore with these sorts of 'AAA' titles that THQ are doing.

Nirolak said:
I could see Warner picking up a fair share of the company like they did with Midway and were going to with Eidos.

Agreed. Time Warner rarely pay 'full price' for anything they acquire and after scooping up what was left of Midway for an absolute bargain they'll be looking for more assets they can pick up for a good price.

If THQ did come on the market (for the right price) or try and sell off it's assets in a fire sale I'd expect WB to be the first in line.

I wouldn't be surprised if Warners were still eyeing Codemasters in some capacity seeing as they are also in an uncertain situation at the moment. Especially as WB publish (IIRC) Codemasters' games in the US

I really don't think that they can afford to have a title like Bodycount do anything less than be a hit for them at this point.

Jintor

I mean, it was never as if Australian development was hugely convenient or effective (physical distance apart from anything else in terms of promotion) but jesus, this is ridiculous.

Lyriell

I remember when the Atari Melbourne closed down and moved out from the King St office.. it was pretty sad, because they took up the majority of that place (sharing it with THQ) but the Atari sign sat out the front for ages...

Now THQ have this happen...

The industry used to be quite decent size down here compared to the rest of Australia, but with the brisbane studios opening up the past 10 years then closing down, the whole thing looks bleak...

Does anyone remember Beam software?
RIP guys, I saw someone selling books of the source code to 'The Hobbit' for PC & C64 on ebay a while back..

I loved their Shadowrun game for the SNES.

Oh sorry about that, just started having sad memories of Australian publishes.

ArjanN

Totobeni said:
I really hate when gaffers do this (doubting someone and accusing for not playing/having the game) we are better than this guys.

Anyway enjoy my shitty English handwriting now as a punishment for your sins.

u1PtJ.jpg

^ that first letter supposed to be "g"

Haha, you played the XBOX 360 version. ;)

Also, you could argue it's not a good game, but it's clearly not a generic shooter.

Blue Tongue being closed is ultra-depressing. de Blob is one of the best games on the Wii.

I can't offer an opinion on de Blob 2 (yet), so I guess I am part of the problem :/

Shiggy said:
The original de Blob for PC was a concept by some students who sold the IP to THQ and then formed Ronimo Games. de Blob on consoles is done by Blue Tongue and not really worth the money.

Pppppppffffftttttttt.

[Nintex]

Nintendo or Microsoft should pick them up to bolster their first party line-ups.

Microsoft could use Darksiders since Kameo and all are dead. The FPS team could reboot Perfect Dark, Volition could make more Saints Row and help out with Crackdown. The other teams could do what they're good at and they would have Itagaki's next game again.

Nintendo might be able to form a real development group in the west with a buyout like this.

Rlan

Man, this really sucks. It's like the whole industry falling apart :(

GCAP is in Melbourne this year too. At this point it's going to be pretty empty :/

To be honest THQ's basically becoming what Eidos was becoming just before being bought. And honestly, if Eidos was able to hold out for a few more years, they had a fucking AMAZING lineup with Batman: AA, Deux Ex and Tomb Raider. THQ's existence will depend on how long the AAA games take to make in the first place, I mean they're trying pretty hard (DeBlob on all consoles, UFC being great)

maeda said:
Okay, you got me! I don't have numbers on hand and don't have time to search through internet, but I believe that many people share the sentiment that this gen has been particularly bad in this regard.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I'm still seeing great games. This generation has been great from a gamers perspective.

I'm saddened by the MX vs ATV series death, but at the same time Untamed was the last great one in the series, they kept changing up the control scheme and didn't really improve on the looks of the game, it was just becoming a "get it out it's next year" type of thing it seemed to me. Untamed was the last one I owned and it was probably the game I owned the longest.

Sad day indeed.

The problem is that in this market some of these games aren't worth $59.99 and I partially blame consumers for the "BOMBA" attitude if it's cheaper but we will have to get there eventually or every new IP not pushed with a $50 million marketing budget is bound to not perform well.

Mista Koo

Night_Trekker said:
Blue Tongue being closed is ultra-depressing. de Blob is one of the best games on the Wii.

I can't offer an opinion on de Blob 2 (yet), so I guess I am part of the problem :/
Agreed on both :(

They deserved to be somewhere better than THQ, I hope someone good picks them up.

.la1n

I hate to hear this but at the same time seeing as how THQ seems to be the only studio allowing development studios to have some sort of creative freedom AND taking chances on new IP I can't find myself hating them too much.

Frankfurt

Banned
Don't worry, THQ! There's only 2.5 years until ultra-expensive Devil's Third is released! I'm sure that it'll be... kinda profitable. Somehow. Despite it being a multiplayer PS360 game. In 2013.

... Yeah.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Busty said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Warners were still eyeing Codemasters in some capacity seeing as they are also in an uncertain situation at the moment. Especially as WB publish (IIRC) Codemasters' games in the US

I really don't think that they can afford to have a title like Bodycount do anything less than be a hit for them at this point.

THQ publishes Codemasters titles in the US through the THQ Partners program

THQ is more known to me these days for it's Warhammer 40k releases via Relic than for any thing else. Now, did they try to shut down Relic, then I'd be upset for sure.

OneLetter

I'm not going to comment on anything outside of I wish all of my former co-workers the best. Blue Tongue left this on their website last night, and I wanted to share it with all of you, as it was really touching. Great bunch of guys at all three studios we lost, but I know they'll land on their feet and continue making awesome games.

J8sPYl.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ClivePwned said:
so what was happening to the game THQ Brisbane was working on (it was apparently based on The Avengers movie coming out next year)?
I wasn't directly involved on the project, but I know a bunch of people working there.

yeah, it was an Avengers game. Not strictly based on the plot of the movie afaik, just based on the franchise and tied with its release.

Apparently Disney (who own Marvel) asked for too much in licensing fees. On the order of $10 million. THQ argued this would make the game unprofitable, but Disney wouldn't budge. So THQ killed the project and the studios working on it. Disney are an evil, greedy bunch of cunts but that's not the whole story.

The weakening USD vs. AUD has made game development too expensive in Australia. We're no longer cheap, first world, skilled labour for American companies.

THQ falling share prices didn't help either.

Top Bottom