• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mimimi Games to shut down

Draugoth

Gold Member
Mimimi_08-29-23-1024x576.jpg

Mimimi Games, the Munich-based studio behind the Shadow Tactics series, Desperados III, and the recently released Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, will close down after 12 years, the studio announced.

Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew will be Mimimi Games’ final title, and the studio is currently focused on delivering additional content for the game.

Mimimi Games is also reaching out to colleagues in the industry to help its team of developers find positions at new studios.

Get the full message from Mimimi Games below.

Dear community, team, and industry,
It is with a heavy heart that today we have to share the news that Shadow Gambit The Cursed Crew will be Mimimi’s final game.
As we look back at our 15-year journey crafting games (and crying about it). we feel grateful for the incredible love and support we received from all of you. We cherished every game we made and feel proud of what we were able to accomplish as a studio.
At the same time, dedicating the past decade and a half of our lives working on increasingly ambitious games took a heavy personal toll on us and our families. After the release of Shadow Gambit we decided it was the right time to prioritize our well-being and to pull the brakes instead of signing up for another multi-year production cycle.
While this means that we won’t start production on a new big game, we will continue to fully support Shadow Gambit. We are already working on a patch across all platforms and have a big content drop planned for later this year. which we are sure you will love just as much as we do!
This also means we will be slowly ramping down the studio over the next few months. We shared this decision with the whole team at an on-site meeting before releasing this announcement.
We will be doing everything in our power to support our team, and we are now starting to reach out to our friends in the industry to find suitable new jobs for all Mimimis. If you have open positions and are interested in hiring our amazing talents, please get in touch via hiring@mimimi.games.
Thanks to the recent launch of Shadow Gambit, we are also able to pay out a bonus to all employees to help them during their transition…
We want to thank our community and fans for playing our games and engaging with us. Your joy and support were what fueled our passion!
We want to thank our industry peers that helped us along all stages of this company, from founding it to self-publishing for the first time. Your mentoring was pivotal for our success!
We want to thank all our business partners, especially Kowloon Nights, THQ Nordic, and Daedalic Entertainment, as well as all external partners and companies that have worked with us. Also, thanks to both the Bavarian regional games fund FFF Bayern and the German games grant of the BMWK. Without the funding, skills and assistance from all of you, this journey wouldn’t have been possible. And, most of all, we want to thank the whole team and everyone who worked with us in any capacity on these games. You made Mimimi what it was!
We are now focused on delivering the additional content for Shadow Gambit and fulfilling our duties as managing directors of the company—to our team, our fans, and our business partners, in the most supportive way we can.
And while we don’t know what the future will hold for the both of us, we still love video games.
We had a really good run and we are truly grateful for all of this!
Thank you!
—Dominik and Johannes

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Stumbled upon Shadow Tactics on a sale. I got Desperados and Shadow Gambit on day 1. They'll definitely be missed. They literally made the best and most complex stealth games out there. Games were always more than fairly priced too. I got the new one for $36 day 1 on console.

This is a case of gamers totally letting down a great studio. They really couldn't have done anything more. Shadow Tactics was $5 on consoles frequently.

I highly recommend people pick up all 3 games still. They're phenomenal.

drotahorror

That really sucks. I wonder if this decision was made prior to Shadow Gambit releasing or if this was a direct result of it's sales?

ARK1391

I'd never heard of their games until I saw a review by ACG for the Cursed Crew. Looked really cool and I plan on getting it once my time frees up. It's a shame to hear they are closing shop.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think Desperados 3 was a huge bomb, for whatever reason. I didn't even know it came out until months after release. Maybe it got confused with Weird West, or Evil West, or whatever west, I don't know.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
That really sucks. I wonder if this decision was made prior to Shadow Gambit releasing or if this was a direct result of it's sales?
Well zero marketing doesn't help. I bought Desperados 3 upon release and loved it. Had no idea that Shadow Gambit was even a thing until it popped up on release day.

1024px-Mimimi_logo.svg.png
Desperados_III_cover_art.jpg
Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew_cover_art.jpg
Black_Forest_Games_companylogo.png
Destroy_All_Humans%21_2_Reprobed_Poster.jpg

What an appropriate logo for this whole debacle. The studio has been putting out some well reviewed games recently with Desperados III and Shadow Tactics, though I haven't gotten around to playing either. Their latest title Shadow Gamebit: The Cursed Crew came out recently to little promotion or hype and it's clear their products aren't selling the millions of units needed to keep the ship afloat.

In a sense it's poetic as Mimimi were probably feeling good about the position reception of D3 and saw themselves as John Cooper walking off onto new adventures, but in reality they were the hand holding the smoking gun. I'm expecting most of the development team to move onto Black Forest Games who are near to them in Germany, assuming they don't go under due to the lacklustre sales of the Destroy All Humans remasters.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
1024px-Mimimi_logo.svg.png
Desperados_III_cover_art.jpg
Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew_cover_art.jpg
Black_Forest_Games_companylogo.png
Destroy_All_Humans%21_2_Reprobed_Poster.jpg

What an appropriate logo for this whole debacle. The studio has been putting out some well reviewed games recently with Desperados III and Shadow Tactics, though I haven't gotten around to playing either. Their latest title Shadow Gamebit: The Cursed Crew came out recently to little promotion or hype and it's clear their products aren't selling the millions of units needed to keep the ship afloat.

In a sense it's poetic as Mimimi were probably feeling good about the position reception of D3 and saw themselves as John Cooper walking off onto new adventures, but in reality they were the hand holding the smoking gun. I'm expecting most of the development team to move onto Black Forest Games who are near to them in Germany, assuming they don't go under due to the lacklustre sales of the Destroy All Humans remasters.
Tindalos Interactive would be a good fit in Paris. Just did Aliens Dark Descent.

I had to read this title like 3 times until I realized that it was Mimimi and not Minimi lol

51WGCYqUQxL.jpg

I've never played any of their games, but it's sad to see. I hope all the devs land on their feet.

Labadal

Their latest game likely bombed. Low cuncurrent players.

I do think that their games fall into a niche genre, and the release date didn't help. This period has been stacked.

Their latest game likely bombed. Low cuncurrent players.

I do think that their games fall into a niche genre, and the release date didn't help. This period has been stacked.
Anything that isn't a blockbuster title this month will suffer the consequences of having their game cannibalized by the myriad of big games that came out recently. The gaming industry has been saturated for a while now and I don't see things getting better in the future for smaller studios.

Killer8

I never really understand why some developers always need to have an upwards trajectory of release scope. If the audience numbers can't keep up with their ambition, then surely temper the ambitions on the next game?

Larian actually acknowledged this by saying their next game is going to need to be smaller scale than BG3. I understand that gamer's expectations can sometimes be unreasonably high (next game = gotta be biggerer!), but smaller experiences can still do well and keep the lights on for most of the team. It's a better alternative to shuttering the whole studio.

It really shows that game development is as much about making good business decisions as it is about making good games - maybe even more so. Reminds me of Suda 51 saying sometimes you need to make a few shitty licensed games in order to make what you really want (or words to that effect). He really is a shockingly good businessman to keep Grasshopper running so long. Remedy is another that understands you need to do the CrossfireX sloppa if you want to fund Alan Wake II.

xrnzaaas

I think Desperados 3 was a huge bomb, for whatever reason. I didn't even know it came out until months after release. Maybe it got confused with Weird West, or Evil West, or whatever west, I don't know.
Desperados 3 was their biggest release and it was definitely a game for the fans of the stealth genre since it revived a beloved IP. Afaik the studio nearly got bankrupt after Shadow Tactics and I reckon there's a repeat of that with Shadow Gambit now - niche genre (despite their efforts to revive it), a fanrasy setting that won't be to everyone's liking (as opposed to more realistic previous games) and having to complete with two BIG titles... there's a lot going against this game.

Desperados 3 was their biggest release and it was definitely a game for the fans of the stealth genre since it revived a beloved IP. Afaik the studio nearly got bankrupt after Shadow Tactics and I reckon there's a repeat of that with Shadow Gambit now - niche genre (despite their efforts to revive it), a fanrasy setting that won't be to everyone's liking (as opposed to more realistic previous games) and having to complete with two BIG titles... there's a lot going against this game.
Reckon Baldur's Gate III has sunk the isometric genre?

xrnzaaas

Reckon Baldur's Gate III has sunk the isometric genre?
BG3 and games from Mimimi are designed for different types of players. Doesn't change the fact that releasing your game next to giant games like BG3 & Starfield is asking for trouble. They're both very time consuming titles and it's going to be extremely difficult to attract people to buy & play your game instead (at launch). Heck, I bought Shadow Gambit knowing full well I won't have a lot of time to play it right away, but I just wanted to support the dev.

Top Bottom