• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic is teasing a Timesplitters 2 Remake via Spellforce 3

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
SpellForce 3: Fallen God released for PC last week, and players have since discovered that several in-game items can be acquired which refer to upcoming and released THQ Nordic titles.

SI_GCN_TimeSplitters2.jpg

The items include Biomutant, Gothic Remake, SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom’s remaster and “TimeSplitters 2 Remake”:

unknown.png

As captured by a YouTube user, the item’s description reads, translated from French: “It’s finally coming! The iconic shooter, which has stood the test of time to join the era of modern games.”
TimeSplitters owner THQ indicated last year that it was planning a future instalment in the series, with the hiring of original co-director Steve Ellis to “help plot the future course for [the] franchise”.

More at the link:

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
A trilogy remaster/remake in the style of Crash Trilogy would be something else...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They'd have to do something pretty significant in the remake. No way they can keep the old Goldeneye style of aiming, and when you upgrade that to modern standards, the core game becomes significantly easier.

I'd stay super sceptical about it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
They'd have to do something pretty significant in the remake. No way they can keep the old Goldeneye style of aiming, and when you upgrade that to modern standards, the core game becomes significantly easier.

I'd stay super sceptical about it.
There is a way to play TimeSplitters 2 with mouse & keyboard via emulation and let me tell you, the game is still hard, especially some of the challenges. I don't even know how I did that back then. Goldeneye style aiming is fast but very imprecise.

00_Zer0

I'm using Dolphin on PC to play Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect right now, but I will gladly take a remake of this game updated with new graphics/ new gameplay modes/ and online play. There is also a fan game making progress called Timesplitters Rewind that I will gladly get as well, but I bet TS2 remake comes out before that. THQ is on fire and I'm so glad they are around to fill that AA space sorely missing in the games industry. I will definitely buy TS2 on day one for PC and I may double dip for a Switch version should it come out for that system.

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

It's been so long - I'll take anything Timesplitters. Remake of all 3 games in one package would be a dream. I remember getting the first one on PS2 and I played with the level editor for months. Me and my sisters played multiplayer all the time, great memories. Oh and the music was it's own style.

Kadve

😭

If you don't want to switch page.

SpellForce 3: Fallen God publisher THQ Nordic has played down the possibility of a TimeSplitters 2 remake, after including a tease in its latest game.

Speaking to Eurogamer this morning, THQ Nordic said the ability to obtain the box for a "TimeSplitters 2 Remake" in SpellForce 3 was designed to be a joke.

"This is just an innocent Easter egg," a THQ Nordic spokesperson said. "The vendor in the game is a character known especially for not telling the truth."

The vendor also sells boxes for "cancelled" Biomutant and Gothic games (and while we've not heard much about both in a while, neither of these are officially cancelled). THQ Nordic said both of these boxes were jokes too.

As far as the future of TimeSplitters is concerned, well, THQ Nordic's parent company Embracer Group does own the franchise and there have been rumblings of a new game being in early development. But this project is being handled elsewhere within the vast Embracer empire, and not by THQ Nordic itself.

In 2019, former Rare and Free Radical Design veteran Steve Ellis was tapped to return and work on a new TimeSplitters project, though nothing more has been announced since.

When asked for more information on that project, THQ Nordic said it could not speak for that franchise as it was not the specific company working on it - if it did indeed exist.

But a TimeSplitters 2 remake? Until we hear something more official, don't get your hopes up.

Seriously btw, this is just cruel and pure trolling...

You wouldn't put a joke like this in if you were never going to make good with the IP.

Honestly - Timesplitters 2 was incredible. But it hasn't aged too well in my opinion.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Every single THQ Nordic game I've played has let me down. I'm willing to play a Time Splitters game, but if it doesn't deliver that will be the last time I let Nordic burn me.

MAtgS

There is a way to play TimeSplitters 2 with mouse & keyboard via emulation and let me tell you, the game is still hard, especially some of the challenges. I don't even know how I did that back then. Goldeneye style aiming is fast but very imprecise.
Yeah, the challenges are nuts with their strict requirements. Modern controls aren't just welcomed, they're needed. I'll probably never plat this remake even with the update (although I'll totally pick the Switch version if there's 1)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why 2? Future was better. Also why not just make their old stuff backwards comp with current gen?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When I read OPs title, I thought he meant that like Timesplitters 2 remake would be playable inside Spellforce 3.

FRWnRLc.png

Top Bottom