• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ reveals new Red Faction game

Dolphin said:
I don't really understand why. I played Freespace 2 back in '98 with a mouse, not a joystick and I thought it worked excellently that way. It was just such a great game, I don't know why more people didn't buy it.

There's always been a strong perception-which definitely made its way into game reviews-that the game is best played with a joystick and that it is highly recommended that you do so. People read that, realize they don't have one, and then instead of going to buy one for the game, they just don't buy the game. It doesn't help that there isn't an easy solution to recommend like a MS Precision Pro around anymore, too.

Cubed3 said:
Quick News: During an investor conference call, THQ announced that WWE games will be released on Nintendo platforms, Wii and DS, within the next fiscal year, according to Gamespot. Other details are currently unknown, but the titles are likely to take full advantage of Nintendo's unique setup.

I cannot open a new thread, so if someone can do it...

Better red than dead. I agree with the sentiment that hope that they follow the first game goodness rather than the shitastic Red Faction 2.

Bildi

If Dice is doing Red Faction, count me the f*ck in.

Also, WWE games on Wii sounds great. I just got Smackdown vs Raw - first wrestling game I've actually owned. Great fun indeed even though I'm getting my ass handed to me regularly.

See

DarienA said:
Juiced is getting a sequel? Why?

It's called Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
cvr21.jpg

Couldn't make a thread for this, since I'm a junior, so I decided to post it here, it's not that important anyways.

OatmealMu

The only place they can go is up.

I eventually came to hate the first one so I never played the sequel. Nice idea that wasn't suited for the current technology. A max amount of 128 geomods made the game suffer, especially in terms of multiplayer.

ram

cvr21.jpg

god - the headline (at the top) is so retarded... and yeah - a below mediocre racer gets a sequel. hurray for sloppy games.

Descent 3 was a Glide baby wasn't it?

I recall it running *oh* so smoothly on one of my old Voodoo cards, like, so smoothly it was a little unsettling, even though I'd played a Descent game before and was used to the sorta strange PoV.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Volition is awesome.

Red Faction is awesome. RF2... not so much, but hey what can you do.

Heres hoping for a solid RF3 experience. I love blowing holes in walls with rocket launchers.
Hell, why they are at it, give me a Summonr 3 too.

See said:
It's called Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights

Couldn't make a thread for this, since I'm a junior, so I decided to post it here, it's not that important anyways.

You were going to make a thread about Juiced 2? LOL!

Next-gen technology used in a next-gen game? WHAT?!

Geo-mod was awesome back in the day, and combined with physics and all that jazz it should be even more fantabulous.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Redfaction was awesome. Redfaction 2 was also good. I want to say Redfaction 3 is the best in the series. :lol

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I've said this before and will say it again, Red Faction > Halo. I never played the sequel because I stopped playing videogames by then really.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Slayven said:
Loved RF, use to spend hours in that little practice room seeing how long i can make a tunnel.

Using a Gameshark was awesome for this game because you could make staircases with the unlimited ammo code.

See

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You were going to make a thread about Juiced 2? LOL!
:lol Yeah Juiced sucked, but still I'm so eager to post something on Gaf, can you blame me?

Slayven said:
Loved RF, use to spend hours in that little practice room seeing how long i can make a tunnel.
I got to the end! It took me about... say 5-10 mins?

Gigglepoo

The Red Faction III thread was bumped to talk about Juice 2? That's really weird...

For people who got their hopes up, RE3 has still not been confirmed. It really should be made, though. Next Gen Geo Mod would kick so much ass.

I liked Juiced a lot. It had a number of flaws, but was a surprisingly original game, considering the genre. Pretty much the first game to feature team racing (later copied by a bunch of others), including basically a manage only mode which I thought was a lot of fun (basically like B-spec mode in GT4, only you had to manage the AI's stress level while racing and tell them when to pass and such, which could be hectic if you had 3 drivers).

I also really liked how you could set up custom races that counted. Using a bunch of different criteria (track, car make, car region, class, etc). And how the AI drivers had personalities and taunted you. And how it used a class system to make the lower end cars still viable for most of the game, at least for some races. And absolutely fantastic car selection - pretty much every non-exotic car you'd want. And you could have 60 of them, which was nice.

Really nice paint system as well. Sure, it wasn't pixel by pixel like in TXR3, but you could pretty much pick any color you wanted, including some really nice metallic and pearlescent effects (at least on the Xbox and PC) that really looked nice. Much better than in any other game.

The driving model kinda sucked. As did the car customization (other than the paint job). And the track selection could have been better. And they needed to handle muscle cars separately, since they used realistic gearing for them (which meant they only had 4 gears and a low top speed, yet tons of horsepower which made them lower class cars).

Still, overall, a very underrated game. Much better than the NFS games EA keeps cranking out. It did sell pretty well, so a sequel was pretty much inevitable. I just hope they don't dumb it down, but keep the team racing and expand on it.

(Anyway, Juiced was mentioned in the original post, so it is sorta on topic)

Haunted

Red Faction was good, 2 was really shitty. Juiced sucked as well. I have slim hopes for the new THQ games next year... concentrate on your good IPs, damnit!

I agree - Red Faction 1 = Good. Red Faction 2 = Not so good. Odd that the sequel has more limited Geo-modding than the original...

I am stoked at the thought of Red Faction 3 on next gen. Imagine playing multiplayer games, where the strategy changes as the game progresses because the environment gets blown up in all sorts of new ways. It's the one thing that I feel like current multiplayer gaming is starting to show its flaws. The best players are the ones that mastered all the level design. Take out that factor, and it really forces players to be good at combat!

Top Bottom