• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ reveals new Red Faction game

h0l211

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12639

"In the investor conference call following the THQ financial results announced this morning, company execs discussed the publisher's plans for coming fiscal year, with CEO Brian Farrell revealing plans to release a new title in the company's Red Faction franchise, adding to original IP from the earlier acquired Stuntman series.

Developed by Volition, Red Faction was first released for the PlayStation 2 and PC in 2001, while a sequel followed for the PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and PC two years later.

Specifically, when asked by an analyst to list out the six major THQ-owned brands that the company would be concentrating on in the next year, Farrell commented: "As you mentioned, Saints Row, Stuntman, which will be released this year, Juiced, which is a sequel to the product we launched a couple years ago, Destroy All Humans, MX, and my favorite, Red Faction." No timeline or target platform for the franchise's continuation was revealed."

theBishop

Banned
This series was fairly underrated. We used to play this online over dialup(!!!), and it was actually a lot of fun.

And the single-player was definitely better than most.

Next-gen geometry deformation = exciting

Wollan

Geomod + next gen physiqs

I'M IN.

PS! Why not go after the full license this time. Total Recall: Red Faction :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Be interested to see what they can do.

Red Faction was fun at the time, but it is incredibly dated by today's standards (go ahead, try playing it again).

Hopefully Voilition is behind this one. I also hope that Dan Wentz returns for the soundtrack as his work on the original game was awesome.

Thats good news, I enjoyed both of them, and still have the first one sitting on my shelf. Im also happy to see Destroy All Humans on there as well. The whole city type gameplay begs for a Next-Gen upgrade. Hopefully more free copies can be won by GAF.

squicken

dark10x said:
Be interested to see what they can do.

Red Faction was fun at the time, but it is incredibly dated by today's standards (go ahead, try playing it again).

Hopefully Voilition is behind this one. I also hope that Dan Wentz returns for the soundtrack as his work on the original game was awesome.

Part of my excitement is based on the presumption Volition is making the game. After the physics in Saints Row, I can't wait to see what happens when they go all out.

Red Faction was eh-ok when it came out. To be honest I thought Volition's best work in the last few years was Summoner 2.

I'm not sure if they'll do Red Faction 2. THQ has made a lot of money off Saint's Row. They'll likely try to keep that franchise going. No idea if Volition will be involved in either a Saint's Row continuation or the new Red Faction game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Red Faction was eh-ok when it came out. To be honest I thought Volition's best work in the last few years was Summoner 2.

I'm not sure if they'll do Red Faction 2. THQ has made a lot of money off Saint's Row. They'll likely try to keep that franchise going. No idea if Volition will be involved in either a Saint's Row continuation or the new Red Faction game.

Let's just hope for Saints Row 2 :)

Wollan

Fragamemnon said:
To be honest I thought Volition's best work in the last few years was Summoner 2.

Summoner 1 is one of my favorite games this generation. But after seeing the images for S2, hearing folks saying that it felt totally different and generally a negative attitude I never bothered. Have you played the original and if so how does it compare?

Fragamemnon said:

They already did a red faction 2. It really veered off the story developed in the first one, but the destructibility in the enviroment was cool.

Maridia

I used to play the PC version of Red Faction online constantly. Never cared for RF2, though. Not that it was bad; it was just completely different.

dark10x

Whatever happened to the OTHER half of Parallax (Outrage)? Voilition has done well for itself, but Outrage seems to have died after Descent 3. The connection with Interplay is likely part of the reason, but I'm wondering what has become of them...

Stealth

Red Blaster said:
Better be more like the first game, Red Faction 2 was some rank shit.

I actually turned my PS2 off before finishing it. I just couldn't take the storyline anymore.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I was wondering when they would announce a new Red Faction game. I played the hell out of the first one on PC. My friends and I had so much fun playing the multiplayer on LAN. I just hope it retains the feel and look of the first one.

Carlisle

Red Faction was the first FPS I ever bought and it subsequently made me a fan of the genre (when I previously abhored it). So this is very exciting news. I was sure we'd seen the last of the series after 2.

Also, am I the only one who loved RF2? Sure it was a huge departure from the story of the first game, but I thought the multiplayer was leaps and bounds ahead of its time. It was the first FPS I'd played that had dual guns. I still play it with my friends when we get together for gaming sessions.

Hooray, great news if it ends up being as good as RF1 was for its time.
At this point the destructable enviroment could make sense, not like shooting the pillars of a plattform having no effect on the platform itself :lol . Was still a great game though.

VALIS

Please be more like RF1 with the geomod and not the generic RF2. Pleeeeeeease. I need to blow up some walls, man.

Awesome, first game was great fun with it's destruction engine. Though I think that in next-gen games enviromental destruction won't be enough.

Xdrive05

Speaking of Geo-Mod, how come this feature never caught on? There's like a handful of games (at best) that have fully destructible environments. Next-gen consoles and PC's should be able to do that like cake.

GeoMod in RF1 was awesome. I like how the first level had a bunch of secret rooms and stuff, only discoverable by bombing the mine walls.

Armitage

Kabouter said:
:lol
But seriously, let's hope it's Freespace 3
Freespace 2 is still Volition's greatest game.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're ever going to get another Freespace title. :(

Outrage Entertainment went on after the so-so sales of Descent 3-a tragically underrated game, BTW (I still have it installed and play it!)-to make the poorly-received Alter Echo for the XBOX and PS2. They folded shortly thereafter.

Summoner 1 is one of my favorite games this generation. But after seeing the images for S2, hearing folks saying that it felt totally different and generally a negative attitude I never bothered. Have you played the original and if so how does it compare?

Suprisingly good. The graphics are pretty terrible though, especially by modern standards. The characters are well done, the story is very interesting, and the settings, for the most part, quite awesome. Starts slow, though (probably why a lot of people bag on it) and the combat is definitely a hit-or-miss affair-I think the people who are used to swapping characters in flight a lot and dealing with quirky party AI in games (PC gamers are more used to this) are more agreeable to combat than the menu-driven, control over everything types.

It's worth fooling with if you have the gaming time to play it properly (it's long). Price certainly isn't a factor, it can be found for cheap pretty easily in bargain racks.

dark10x said:
Whatever happened to the OTHER half of Parallax (Outrage)? Voilition has done well for itself, but Outrage seems to have died after Descent 3. The connection with Interplay is likely part of the reason, but I'm wondering what has become of them...
Outrage is probably still part of THQ. they did the pc port of Red Faction 2

Dolphin said:
Which really sucks because Freespace 2 was like THE best space sim.

It's one of the best PC games ever, period. Or, at the very least, it's one of the "new classics" , one of the games PC gamers put on shortlists as the best still-"playable" games.

There's a lot of people upset that the trilogy won't ever get finished, but few people who have a clue blame anyone for it. The demise and death of the joystick killed the genre on the PC, and no one really knows how to properly resurrect the genre to make it more console-friendly. Even if they did find a way there's no telling if people would still play a full-blown space combat opera style game anymore.

dark10x

Outrage Entertainment went on after the so-so sales of Descent 3-a tragically underrated game, BTW (I still have it installed and play it!)-to make the poorly-received Alter Echo for the XBOX and PS2. They folded shortly thereafter.
Ah yes, I forgot about Alter Echo. Good call.

Descent 3 WAS awesome, though. It's just poorly coded. Even on modern hardware, there are still performance issues (if you can get it to run, that is). The damn thing is ultra unstable on every machine I've tried it on lately (CTD occurs 60% of the time while loading a level).

dark10x said:
Descent 3 WAS awesome, though. It's just poorly coded. Even on modern hardware, there are still performance issues (if you can get it to run, that is). The damn thing is ultra unstable on every machine I've tried it on lately (CTD occurs 60% of the time while loading a level).

Make sure you are patched up completely (1.4). I know there are some crash bugs if you aren't patched to that level of the game.

Xdrive05 said:
Speaking of Geo-Mod, how come this feature never caught on?

It's difficult to design set-pieces if the player can go anywhere. Geo-mod really needs a sandbox design rather than traditional linear levels.

Dolphin

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
There's a lot of people upset that the trilogy won't ever get finished, but few people who have a clue blame anyone for it. The demise and death of the joystick killed the genre on the PC, and no one really knows how to properly resurrect the genre to make it more console-friendly. Even if they did find a way there's no telling if people would still play a full-blown space combat opera style game anymore.
I don't really understand why. I played Freespace 2 back in '98 with a mouse, not a joystick and I thought it worked excellently that way. It was just such a great game, I don't know why more people didn't buy it.

Top Bottom