• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of obscure games you don't think anyone else has played

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pennybags said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Treasures_of_the_Deep.jpg

Please tell me that some of you have had the opportunity to play it.

The music (composed by Tommy Tallarico) and atmosphere in this game is simply amazing. I loved nearly aspect: fighting men/sea creatures/sea monsters, netting dolphins and lobster traps for cash, scouting ahead with the ROV, traveling through Atlantis, detonating nukes undersea, and riding on the back of a Manta Ray.

Best of all, there is a hidden bonus level in which you play as a shark!

Beautiful music!
[Intro Cinematic + Gameplay]

I only ever played the demo, but I loved every second of it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Dust: A Tale of the Wired West

2jbs8ox.jpg

Got it for free when I bought a PC in like 1996 or something. Was actually quite good.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
SquirrelNuckle said:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/6/196896_41871_front.jpg[/IMG

It was such a bad game, but I played it so much as a kid growing up.[/QUOTE]
Was is bad? I remember it being great, as was the sequel. Maybe just nostalgia though.

15ee8fr.jpg

KKND/KKND Xtreme
im sure you guys have played it, but i assume VERY FEW have, or have even heard of it. played the hell out of the demo as a kid, and then when i saw it in stores, i accidentally grabbed the Xtreme edition, which required a Pentium. (all we had was an intel, and i cried) i still think it was a pretty cool, albeit cheesy, RTS game(s).

de47qo.png

Warheads
again, played the hell out of the demo. never actually bought it though. i think it was one of those buy-it-online-only games when the internet was gaining momentum. i had no idea what that was at the time. it's basically like pocket tanks, but with planets and gravity. you had to deal with the planets pulling not only your ship, but your shots too. SOFUNOMG

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
15ee8fr.jpg

KKND/KKND Xtreme
im sure you guys have played it, but i assume VERY FEW have, or have even heard of it. played the hell out of the demo as a kid, and then when i saw it in stores, i accidentally grabbed the Xtreme edition, which required a Pentium. (all we had was an intel, and i cried) i still think it was a pretty cool, albeit cheesy, RTS game(s).

de47qo.png

Warheads
again, played the hell out of the demo. never actually bought it though. i think it was one of those buy-it-online-only games when the internet was gaining momentum. i had no idea what that was at the time. it's basically like pocket tanks, but with planets and gravity. you had to deal with the planets pulling not only your ship, but your shots too. SOFUNOMG
It's hard to believe but people still play Warheads online to this day.

Here's another obscure PC title:

Moonbase_cover.png

Why would you do that? said:
Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City

I pimp this game a lot, really. It's basically a platformer where you play as Michael Jordan and you defeat creatures like floating eyeballs, spiders, zombies with basketballs as heads, giant robot whistles, and a ton of other fun things... with basketballs. You have regular balls, ice balls, fire balls, bowling balls, homing balls, boomerang balls, and a lot of things.

The balls are cool, though. They all have special features. Throw a bowling ball on the ground, it'll destroy everything in its path. Ice ball on ground = slippery floor. Fire ball on ground = flame floor.

You use Wheaties and Gatorade for health boosts.

You can dunk as well. Throughout the game are basketball hoops. They usually give you items, but there's one hoop that pauses time. The checkpoint hoop has a glass backboard that shatters when you hit it. It's cool. You can dunk with fire balls for a "He's on fire!" moment.

The game is part puzzle. There are often puzzles you have to solve, usually with specific balls.

There are some cool bosses, too. Giant mecha-basketball man, for instance.

The point of the game is to save the Chicago Bulls. Your team was kidnapped. Each level except the train levels has one team mate. You can beat the game without rescuing all 21 of them, but you won't get the slightly cooler ending.

It's overall a really fun game. I recommend everyone plays it.
I own this game. My aunt is the biggest michael jordan fan on the planet, and she bought this for me and my brother.

It's HARD. I've never gotten past the second level. It's also a pretty long game for a platformer.

diglyd

Banned
Pennybags said:
Treasures_of_the_Deep.jpg

The music (composed by Tommy Tallarico) and atmosphere in this game is simply amazing. I loved nearly aspect: fighting men/sea creatures/sea monsters, netting dolphins and lobster traps for cash, scouting ahead with the ROV, traveling through Atlantis, detonating nukes undersea, and riding on the back of a Manta Ray.

Beautiful music!

Treasures of The Deep was one of my most beloved PS1 games. I oved playing it just because it was so different and in a way a definite treasure.

I loved the music in the trailer...demo intro part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xDGrG2rbA&feature=related

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Pennybags said:
Treasures_of_the_Deep.jpg

Beautiful music!

Yes! Yesyesyesyesssss!~

Fsckin' love this game, but completely forgot about it! First game I ever played that actually made me feel like I was actually underwater.

Dineren

Banned
TheVampire said:

I played through all of the Hugo games, including the Nitemare 3d I think it was called. Enjoyed them quite a bit, though they were pretty short and easy if I remember correctly.

Wiggum2007

625456-g_nome_box_large.jpg

G-NOME: released in 1996, basically a MechWarrior knock-off.

gnome_790screen003.jpg

gnome_790screen001.jpg

Interesting twist was that you can eject from your mech and run around on-foot. As an infantry you have a gas weapon that ejects the pilots of mechs, however enemy infantry also had this gun. Game was hard as hell.

DJ_Lae

Exile for the Mac (think there were PC versions of it and the sequel too).

2425ytw.gif

Realmz - very similar gameplay style, but a lot harder.

k9jtww.gif

Beyond Dark Castle. I know the first game got a lot more play (it was released a good 8 or 9 times on different platforms) but I still think the sequel was a far better game. Unfortunately, I don't think it runs on any Mac OS more modern than System 7.1, which means my dying Mac Classic will someday mark the end of me being able to play that game.

221936-bdctitle.gif

mooooose

Trin3785 said:
What about POD for the PC and later the Dreamcast.
default.jpg

I remember a demo for this game was packaged with our new family computer and I was stunned by the graphics of this game! I remember the new one came out on Dreamcast but i never had a chance to play that game.
I played this, and to the same effect. It was a shitty game though.

Salsa

soccer_kid_01.png

soccer_kid_3.thumbnail.png

good times

dunno how obscure it is, im refering to the Amiga version, i know it was on the SNES too under the name "The Adventures of Kid Kleets"

RobertM

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
15ee8fr.jpg

KKND/KKND Xtreme
One of my favorite RTS of all the time. The only thing is, I played it on PS1...and controller didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game, not to mention split screen.

21jup09.jpg

It's a 3rd person underwater adventure game. You dive at different locations, look for treasure, buy new gear (oxygen tanks, harpoon guns,etc.), and different creatures try to get in your way (giant crabs, sharks, hammerhead shark,etc.). The game was challenging, but very exploration heavy.

reetva

Banned
All of the shit IF I've made. So, all of the IF I've made.

Other than that, I never hear anyone talk about Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon. It's really awesome! You should buy it, guys.

Fio

Archurro said:
Lords of the Realm 2

screenshot2484-1.jpg

This was one game my brother and I would always play together. The third one was utter crap, and I never played the first one, but this game was a really fun turn-based strategy game.

Hey, I did play this! I used to play it with my brother too, not always, tho. I still have the full game and its expansion. Really great game. I'll revisit it soon.

Christine

250px-Mantis-game.jpg

XF5700Mantis.png

The game uses real inertia, so it's pretty impossible to play, as well as boring. The subplot with the aliens' secret weapon is kind of intriguing, though. It calls you "George", like the Abominable Snowman from Loony Tunes. Too bad I never finished it.

improvise5 said:
64-1.jpg

Kwirk!

It was a puzzle game where you play as a red tomato with a mohawk and cool shades and pushed blocks around in a maze trying to get from one end of the level to the other. I remember getting stuck plenty of times as a kid. I wonder how i would do now.

Kwirk is probably my favorite Gameboy game of all time. Bravo, sir.

Blizzard

Banned
DJ_Lae said:
Beyond Dark Castle. I know the first game got a lot more play (it was released a good 8 or 9 times on different platforms) but I still think the sequel was a far better game. Unfortunately, I don't think it runs on any Mac OS more modern than System 7.1, which means my dying Mac Classic will someday mark the end of me being able to play that game.

221936-bdctitle.gif
This is a good game (awesome sound effects), and I used to play it on my brother's really old Mac (system 6/7?). I'm pretty sure it will run in an emulator, though I don't know if it's illegal to emulate the OS. Dark Castle and the Prince of Persia version (similar to the SNES one?) on the Mac were also good.

Also I just searched and didn't see Nethack mentioned in 6 pages so far. It's not really obscure, but if someone mentioned it they must have potsed a screenshot instead of the name. I ascended once, on a slightly older grayscale handheld port of the game, as an archeologist I believe (surprisingly, since I usually tried elven wizard). Fond memories. Many of the details of that game will probably stick with me forever. :)

*edit* Here, I'll throw in a couple of Linux games.

XBlast, frantic Bomberman clone:
xblast26.jpg

XEvil, very politically incorrect game, but I liked the gameplay in the older versions:
xevil.gif

More recent XEvil:
sshot1.gif

Lijik

Vipershark said:

All Tony Hawk Ride 2 has to do is take this game's control scheme, map it to the board as best they can, and then ape the gameplay (and probably art style).
They probably won't, and its a goddamn shame.

Anyways,
Malice_Ps2.jpg

Frogger_-_The_Great_Quest_Coverart.png

I really hope I'm the only one whose suffered by playing these two games.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
know it was on the SNES too under the name "The Adventures of Kid Kleets"

it was released as Soccer Kid (as per the Amiga version) here in Japan. Good Game, though Go! Go! Beckham Island is a bit more refined ( and different i guess )

Obscures, i think :

573059_12120_back.jpg

caesar2.gif

1182284165-01.png

shaowebb

Shatterhand for the NES
Bad ass game that combines post apocalyptic cyborg hell future with megaman stylings, bad ass soundtrack and apparently Andrew Dice Clay

Shatterhand-1.jpg

shatterhand.png

Tempo for the Sega 32x
Fun platformer with fun music but NOT during the intro. Dear god he is" funky as he wants to be" and "in the house" in the intro song. Sweet beautiful chiptune stages make up for this though.

16-tempo-sega-32x.png

and the king of them all...The HORDE!
This is Kirk Cameron's videogame for the Sega Saturn. Upon start-up it asks if you wish to erase all other save games on your saturn just to free up room for more saves of The Horde and it had your cursor already on "YES" so any button mashers just fucked themselves. You have a ton of cutscenes , a sword named "Grim Thwacker" and one of the cheesiest ending cut scenes in gaming history.

This game was fucking terrible.

thehorde.jpg

And here are the cutscenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz_eTwKWKo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GIQRgPR0wo&feature=related

diglyd

Banned
There is a game that I used to play back in the early 90s....

this thread made me think about it. I am trying to figure out what it was called.

I have no idea who made it.

All I can remember is that it had something to do with gangs or gang wars and it was set in the future and you had to recruit your crews. It was futuristic and a strategy game. It was cyberpunk like the stuff you would see in Shadowrun or Syndicate. It did not have allot of animation it was more like a card game or Yu gi Oh/Magic type game where the crew members you recruited were just portraits on a card or in a box and you squared off against someone each turn as you took over their territory.

I think it was petty colorful.

Does anyone know what the heck I am talking about? Its an old obscure game....

Dark_Savior_Coverart.png

Don't think it's that obscure, but its one of those games that only one person you know has played. Even if it had its flaws, I loved how ambitious the game was, since there were several endings depending on what you did during the game.

ChazAshley said:
Ore-no Ryouri - Ps1 Restaurant Cooking game where you use the Dual Analog sticks to do the motions within the game. Washing Dishes require you to rotate the right analog stick. Pour beer into the mug but don't spill any! Chase after people who don't pay for their meal! There was a demo of this on some random Ps1 demo disc but it never came over to the states officially. GREAT Game I recommend it to all.

9jncj9.jpg

Oh Shit! I played hours of that on the demo disc. So fucking good! Dual controls were great. I loved to run after burglars!

shaowebb

NinjaMouse said:
Kwirk is probably my favorite Gameboy game of all time. Bravo, sir.

Oh hey I know that character. He was on the Video Power cartoon super hero team "The Power Team". That stuff was during the Captain N glory days and stuck with me. Here are some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVz26AP8Go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFX391Q4-SA&feature=related

(foreign clips)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BhqN75PuI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hFke_kSD0&feature=related

140001664m.jpg

An awesome, super low-budget Japanese PSX puzzle game about a hamster driving a forklift. He uses the forklift to move crates around and create pictures, you see.

LostGolem_DCBOX_JPboxart_160w.jpg

An awesome, super low-budget Japanese Dreamcast puzzle game about a king and his pet golem.

shaowebb said:
Shatterhand for the NES
Bad ass game that combines post apocalyptic cyborg hell future with megaman stylings, bad ass soundtrack and apparently Andrew Dice Clay

Shatterhand-1.jpg

shatterhand.png

I found this gem just messing with some old backups on my DC and gotta say I was pleasently surprised.

Top Bottom