• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three new U.S. Wii U commercials

Sending families to Nintendo HQ is about the stupidest thing you can do in a commercial.

It screams CHEAP. Especially when the only build up to it with an atrocious PowerPoint title stating who the family is... It's super backward seeing a family being driven to a corporation.

Holy hell Wii u is going to start selling worse if these ads air.

mr stroke

Those ads were painful to sit though. Nintendo you really couldn't come up with anything else? Time to hire Don Draper

Sending families to Nintendo HQ is about the stupidest thing you can do in a commercial.

It screams CHEAP. Especially when the only build up to it with an atrocious PowerPoint title stating who the family is... It's super backward seeing a family being driven to a corporation.

Holy hell Wii u is going to start selling worse if these ads air.

The funny thing is, it's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what their Wii commercials were.

Wii: Two guys go to people's houses who have no idea what a Wii is and show them having an amazing time.

Wii U: Nintendo pays people to come to Nintendo and say that they love their already owned Wii U.

How they could go from an amazing marketing campaign to such a horrible one is beyond me. Did they fire their previous ad agency?

AzaK

Yeah, for a couple of hours and then Pop's wondering why he traded in his Xbox 360 and PS3 for a software wasteland.
I don't disagree entirely, I was just making the point about family gaming. NintendoLand is actually very good for that.

GC|Simon

Even if those families were paid for giving this impressions: I think the impressions self are very close to reality. I showed my Wii U to a couple of friends and it's indeed one of the best systems for local multiplayer ever.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Now imagine if one of these three family said there weren't interested into it?

"The Wii U? Why would I want that right now? There's no games I want and it's too expensive for what it offers. Nintendo Land is fun, but it's not enough." -Dad

"Oh shit. CUT! CUT! CUT! Send in the next family!" -Nintendo

What other ads has he done? I noticed he's only been at NoA since around the 3DS launch.

He was VP of Marketing at Pepsi for a while.....

Now imagine if one of these three family said there weren't interested into it?

"The Wii U? Why would I want that right now? There's no games I want and it's too expensive for what it offers. Nintendo Land is fun, but it's not enough." -Dad

"Oh shit. CUT! CUT! CUT! Send in the next family!" -Nintendo

Oh, I'm sure they were handed their check attached to a nice set of scripted lines to read.

Neo Child

Banned
my favourite nintendo commercials were the 2004/2005 ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZZU7azywko
mqdefault.jpg

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIDtLO4RyX4
game-console-a-day-in-the-life-600-21159.jpg

I can't read Scott Moffitt without thinking of the pokemon Wobbuffet. I don't even play the game, but I'm used to hearing "woooooooooobbuffet!" from Smash Bros. Melee.

ngbbs4d670701e6d7c.gif

Raist

Banned
This is so sad on so many levels. Especially the whole "We had no fucking idea how to market that thing so we had to ask people who bought it" feeling to it.

Broach

Banned
The system isn't new anymore, but here is how I would of advertised it at Launch

-One ad has a one going around in an alternative reality, that suddenly dissapears. He picks up the Wii U pad still being able to see it with the gyrosensors.

-One ad has one playing while a apocalypse happens, destryoing everything besides the console, the power plug, and the gamepad, and still being able to play, promoting the off-tv play.

VariantX

The system isn't new anymore, but here is how I would of advertised it at Launch

-One ad has a one going around in an alternative reality, that suddenly dissapears. He picks up the Wii U pad still being able to see it with the gyrosensors.

-One ad has one playing while a apocalypse happens, destryoing everything besides the console, the power plug, and the gamepad, and still being able to play, promoting the off-tv play.

Wonder how long it took you to think of those cuz its damn sure better than what Nintendo keeps doing.

Daingurse

Wii: Two guys go to people's houses who have no idea what a Wii is and show them having an amazing time.

Wii U: Nintendo pays people to come to Nintendo and say that they love their already owned Wii U.

How they could go from an amazing marketing campaign to such a horrible one is beyond me. Did they fire their previous ad agency?

Oh lord, when you put it like that it's even worse than I thought. God, Nintendo is going to really struggle trying to make this console more appealing to the mainstream market. . .

Hoodbury

I thought back in good ole 2012 and 2011 they said they were going to cater to the core gamer first. Seems like they gave up on that and are now targeting the 6-10 year old crowd.

Into

You are right but it actually fits the controllers being the polar opposites as well:

Wiimote: Simple to use, everyone, even non gaming grandma knows how to swing a tennis bat or throw a bowling ball. The Wii "motion" was gaming at its most basic, easily a hot sell. Easy to market and show off, no need for violent video games just a family swinging away at whatever game they are playing, commercials practically wrote themselves.

Wii GamePad: More complex than the supposed "hardcore" 360 and PS3 gamepads, as it includes a secondary screen where the player can manipulate the game...at times..depending on the game. And sometimes you have to look up, sometimes you have to look down on your pad. 2 sticks, shoulder buttons, face buttons etc.

Swinging your arm in tennis vs sitting down with the GamePad in your hands as you figure out which stick does what (or even dpad) which buttons to use, whether to control anything via the GamePad screen, where to actually look, on TV or GamePad.

Stark difference between the two products yet they are trying to advertise them the same way

How does one advertize this GamePad in a way where that casual audience that bought the Wii by the masses? I bet that question is being asked on a daily basis now in Kyoto

ascii42

I hadn't thought about it like that, but yeah.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I thought back in good ole 2012 and 2011 they said they were going to cater to the core gamer first. Seems like they gave up on that and are now targeting the 6-10 year old crowd.

they are going to double down on their base

How does one advertize this GamePad in a way where that casual audience that bought the Wii by the masses? I bet that question is being asked on a daily basis now in Kyoto

I think all they can really do is play up the utility of the GamePad allowing Dual Screen interfaces and also the appeal of the TV being optional. Unfortunately, as it stands, I think this is hindered by the lack of compelling software that needs a two-screen interface, and also by the corners cut on the GamePad itself so as to prevent the price of the console from being even more expensive than it is now. I know people will argue that the GamePad isn't really supposed to compete with tablet-like devices, but I think that it would heavily benefit from better battery life, wireless range, and screen quality if it really felt like a quality tablet-like device (with console gaming controls serving as a real plus) that could seamlessly output to the TV.

Nintendo focusing on kids is one of the rare good moves they are making.

the problem is that they are stuck focusing on kids from the 1980's. In Nintendo's world view modern devices like the ipad and Xbox 360 don't exist and the WiiU is a novel peice of hardware that no one as ever seen the likes of.

Toparaman

Banned
I think the real problem is that the Wii U just isn't a great system conceptually. I mean, I'm a core gamer, and I still don't get how the touchscreen adds anything game-changing to console gaming. Seems more like the DS's second screen: nice feature, but not essential.

And the HD graphics aren't going to be a big plus until Nintendo makes games that show why HD makes a significant difference to Nintendo games. In other words, Wii graphics rendered in HD resolution isn't going to cut it. Nintendo needs to step the textures, poly-counts, and details up.

The Wii wasn't exactly revolutionary, but it was close enough that the marketing could portray the Wii as revolutionary. How are you going to do that with U?

I'm starting to think the 3DS will be my primary Nintendo console this gen.

Mashing

I'm not going to complain about the ads, as I'm sure we're not the target audience and they focus group test the fuck out of these things.

El-Suave

I guess they don't have the software to appeal to core gamers right now, but the original sales pitch at the very first introduction of the system was how different the Wii U was from the Wii. Almost every step after that negated and even reversed that plan.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
So Wii U doesn't lead to divorce, but the PS4 will? The sanctity of marriage is Nintendo's gift to families.

gunstarhero

...all because they were stupid enough to name it the WiiU. Sigh.

As a gamer, these commercials make me cringe - but they do a better job explaining the WiiU is not the Wii to the masses.

Hazelhurst

Damn that U is really hurting.

Even if they wanted to keep the Wii name, even Wii 2 or Super Wii would have been better.

Wii U is what happens when you think too much in a name, the first fucking thing that would come to mind would have been better.

They should have dropped "Wii" completely as to not confuse. A name shouldn't be that important, but I feel Nintendo's latest console is getting shortchanged because of it.

Top Bottom