• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three new U.S. Wii U commercials

freddy

Banned
Nintendo are stuck showing people having fun still where they should have moved onto showing us what they are playing to have fun. Stop selling the controller and people smiling at something we can't see much of and start concentrating on selling the games, Miiverse and the content.

I'm not trying to justify anything, you're making some bold assumptions and obviously haven't seen my Wii U comments in other threads.

Implying that it would be ridiculous for someone to be willing to give up their other console for Wii U just demonstrates narrow mindedness. I'll ask again, do you own a Wii U? It's quite different to Wii and for parents, non gamers and kids, games like NintendoLand and its asymmetric gameplay is actually pretty cool.
I did at launch until the gamepad wouldn't sync. I enjoyed my time with it but I'm not talking about us. I'm referring to the lack of product information the commercial is giving and how it still leaves Nintendo in an identity crisis.

I think these come across more fake than the actors that would normally do them, because a) you've payed them to come to Nintendo HQ - so they're going to "love it" or else you won't get put through and it doesn't come across as natural and b) you're saying shit (whether told or otherwise) that is a load of hyperbole because you're on "TV".

But they all felt very Early Learning Center to me. But just like it, Nintendo also has to start somewhere.

hachi

Banned
This is exactly what they need to be doing: making Wii U a whole-family proposition, at which it excels. And get the word out that there's a big upgrade to your current Wii setup.

This is exactly what they need to be doing: making Wii U a whole-family proposition, at which it excels. And get the word out that there's a big upgrade to your current Wii setup.

People see the 200 dollar price difference and know its an upgrade. They did nothing to explain why the wiiu is so great besides saying things no one would understand if they kne nothing about it. The fact that they have to try and correct people thats its not a peripheral in the first place shows how bad things are. At this point even if people did know they wouldnt give a shit with that pricetag and a horrendous upcoming lineup. Pathetic.

OmegaFax

I guess when Wii U sales take an even bigger nose dive, Nintendo will just start kidnapping families and holding them for ransom.

mik

mik is unbeatable
This is such an odd conceptual shift from the original Wii advertising. Those "Wii would like to play" spots were terrific, as they showed the Wii coming to the family's home and bringing the fun and excitement there.

It doesn't even matter that those were actors and sets, they FEEL more genuine than plopping a real family in Nintendo HQ. That's just so far removed and abstracted from the actual experience that I think it's too big a leap to make.

hachi

Banned
People see the 200 dollar price difference and know its an upgrade. They did nothing to explain why the wiiu is so great besides saying things no one would understand if they kne nothing about it. The fact that they have to try and correct people thats its not a peripheral in the first place shows how bad things are. At this point even if people did know they wouldnt give a shit with that pricetag and a horrendous upcoming lineup. Pathetic.

Your average family with a Wii actually doesn't know this thing exists at all, from my experience. "There's a new Wii, it's got some new family experiences and a touchscreen" is a good message to get people's interest up, and showing a family playing together is much more relevant to the average consumer's thinking than the "upcoming lineup"--these families pretty much only know about things on the shelf... believe me, I know quite a few families who still play the Wii together in their living room and know absolutely nothing about how game lineups work or even that a Wii U exists in the first place. They're always amazed when I explain that this successor exists.

In 30 seconds? Yeah, just show that Nintendo has a shiny new Wii system aimed at families. That's about as much as they can or even should do.

Levyne

Banned
I think a by-the-numbers 2/3 game footage montage followed by an emphasized "only on Wii U" would be better than anything they've tried, even if not creative.

Maybe they can't because there aren't any games.

I dont give nintendo one single bit of credit. They launched the freaking 3ds in 2011 with a similar looking system, similar boxarts, and there was massive confusion. They had to explicitly say the 3ds was a new system. So what did they do when making wiiu? Make the console look like a larger wii and not even show it. How the hell are they so incompetent? At least make some different mistakes
not even 2 years later.

Given that the "new Wii controller" isn't sold separately, I don't quite buy that this is really much of a problem. If prospective buyers are put off by how much the "controller" costs, why would they have bought the system even without any branding confusion?

drspeedy

the gamepad doesn't seem like an easy thing to sell. it is a distracting experience to feature in commercials. it doesn't help that their two big games out right now are either gamepad-heavy (nintendo land) or nothing special graphically (NSMB:U). can't really think of many angles they can take outside of celebrity endorsements or a crying baby.

Appeal to the core

Probably NSFW

It's meant for the people who get their video game news from the Today Show and don't give a rats ass about e3 (aka 75% of the market).

Sadly true...

Nintendo needs their old marketing team and make stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQC5JyM4KHA

Yes that is gold. Very good ad. I like how they manage to show how everyone can play, casuals and also hardcore, but very well made.

This new ads do nothing for me, but I guess they really show it is a new console. Let´s see how this works.

Lego City is the big hit at my house right know.

7 and 8 year old boy and girl are playing this non stop, and I am too. My wife would but unfortunaltely she is sick, having a hard time, hope she gets better soon.

We have had good times with Nintendo Land too, but I think Nintendo really needs Wii Sports 2, even if the gamepad is relegated or not used that much.

I think Wii Sports 2 will be revealed at E3.

So they're still attempting to recapture the long departed casual market. Very smrt Nintendo, very smrt.

Casual market? They're doing what Nintendo has always done, going after families. There's a reason they showed parents playing with pre teen kids. These types of commercials aren't meant for the person who gets their panties wet over tesselation, complain about a game not having dynamic shadows, and are pissed that next gen there won't be a 1080p/60 standard across the board.

It's meant for the people who get their video game news from the Today Show and don't give a rats ass about e3 (aka 75% of the market).

Casual market? They're doing what Nintendo has always done, going after families. There's a reason they showed parents playing with pre teen kids. These types of commercials aren't meant for the person who gets their panties wet over tesselation, complain about a game not having dynamic shadows, and are pissed that next gen there won't be a 1080p/60 standard across the board.

Very well put. The gaming market has always fascinated me.

I love games, the gaming industry, talk about games, discussing everything video game related, that is GAF to me.

But funny how I have some friends that love games but they just play them, God of War, Gran Turismo, Call of Duty, they dont care about the industry, they dont even read reviews, they are not well informed. I would say we Gaf crowd fall into 10% to 15%, the other sector I am talking about that just play games another 20%, and the rest are the kids and casual crowd. But this is just me talking out of my ass.

Nilaul

Those might work... But they forgot about the adult and the late teenagers market. Show them playing zombiU or something.

mattp

honestly, nintendo should just copy apple's ad style. i think it would work well for them

make a commercial for each feature. one showing miiverse, one showing the gamepad, one just showing games etc

point is, SHOW what you're advertising and people will look at it and see that its cool
dont show fucking people pretending to play games that you can't even see in the commercial

"It's much more different than the Wii."

"I didn't realize how different it actually is."

"I might give up my other consoles for this."

"Learn why families are upgrading to WiiU."

2473273-page0_blog_entry34_mj_laughing1.gif

Nintendo have hit a all new low with the marketing.
They still trying to grab those casuals when they clearly don't care.

Nintendo....heres a hint; games will sell your console.

"The graphics are a huge upgrade."

"Nintendo does thing so differently."

"I may ditch my other consoles for Wii U."

If this is indeed Nintendo's attitude right now....they are going to get fucking laughed off stage at E3.

Sorta how the DS and 3DS were laughed off stage by the incredible PSP/Vita graphics?

Portugeezer

Nothing will ever be as effective as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ARvhT6Gzc

In the three new commercials you can tell people are getting paid to say stupid shit, or they say over the top things because they know they're paid to be there. Also what and how they show the Wii U is bad and doesn't change much, it's all good people saying it's different and has better graphics, but the commercials themselves don't show it!

Doran902

when will they realize their audience is 30 year old men who want to play zelda and pretend they are still 12? (not that there is anything wrong with that)

my sisters who are like 9 and 12 got the new just dance for wii and they dont give a damn about the wii u because there is nothing on it for them

when will they realize their audience is 30 year old men who want to play zelda and pretend they are still 12? (not that there is anything wrong with that)

my sisters who are like 9 and 12 got the new just dance for wii and they dont give a damn about the wii u because there is nothing on it for them

heh. thats one way to swing it.

Sadly true...

Why is that sad? How invested are you in what Tide is doing? Have you been to their YouTube channel or Facebook fan page recently? That's how most people view gaming companies. They couldn't really give a rats ass about the industry, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Very well put. The gaming market has always fascinated me.

I love games, the gaming industry, talk about games, discussing everything video game related, that is GAF to me.

But funny how I have some friends that love games but they just play them, God of War, Gran Turismo, Call of Duty, they dont care about the industry, they dont even read reviews, they are not well informed. I would say we Gaf crowd fall into 10% to 15%, the other sector I am talking about that just play games another 20%, and the rest are the kids and casual crowd. But this is just me talking out of my ass.

The "hardcore" market like to think they're the reason the video game industry exists, and it's absolutely not true. The hardcore market could disappear, and the gaming industry would be fine. If the casual market disappears, the gaming industry goes with it.

They think those who don't obsess over the industry, read gaming blogs, or don't know who Miyamoto is somehow aren't worthy of the focus of these corporations.

Your average family with a Wii actually doesn't know this thing exists at all, from my experience. "There's a new Wii, it's got some new family experiences and a touchscreen" is a good message to get people's interest up, and showing a family playing together is much more relevant to the average consumer's thinking than the "upcoming lineup"--these families pretty much only know about things on the shelf... believe me, I know quite a few families who still play the Wii together in their living room and know absolutely nothing about how game lineups work or even that a Wii U exists in the first place. They're always amazed when I explain that this successor exists.

In 30 seconds? Yeah, just show that Nintendo has a shiny new Wii system aimed at families. That's about as much as they can or even should do.

I don't know if I follow what the big success story is with these ads. Sure, families having fun can be a compelling selling point, but why are they having so much fun with this new platform? Why will the families that you know of want to spend money on this thing? Because there's a touch screen controller that streamlines making a Mii (one of only a couple of use cases demonstrated in the commercial visually)?

Doran902

heh. thats one way to swing it.

i dont mean it in a bad way, i just feel like thats why there design never changes for those games, its like they are feeding people nostalgia

remakes sequels remakes sequels

and the sequels are normally the same games with more levels or a new art style

we need more metroid primes and mario galaxy's imo

Rootbeer

Banned
SMH. Nintendo, I love you, but seriously. This is the wrong way to advertise your product.

I thought the MH3U commercial did a great job of showcasing an awesome game and the various ways to play it with friends, on the Wii U or 3DS, online, solo... all while being pretty cool.

All I got out of this ad was "these families getting paid!"

Nintendo needs their old marketing team and make stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQC5JyM4KHA

Oh God. I just realized that the "ii" in Wii is actually the two guys bowing down.

This right here is a great ad. The message is simple and fun. They spend time showcasing what the console and controller does, and showed various different games and game modes while focusing on family, casual and hardcore games.

Septimius

Oh God. I just realized that the "ii" in Wii is actually the two guys bowing down.

This right here is a great ad. The message is simple and fun. They spend time showcasing what the console and controller does, and showed various different games and game modes while focusing on family, casual and hardcore games.

Exactly. When your focus of your ad is to tell someone "Hey, it's a brand new console!" it just goes to show what a MASSIVE error their 2011 E3 was - combined with the Wii U name and you'll spend tens of millions of dollars just educating your base that this actually is a new console. It's just such a basic error it's really, really painful to watch.

it became obvious how they tried to hide the limitation of 2 gamepads per console because nintendo cheaped out on hardware

4 gamepad gaming would have been so much classier to show off

imagine zelda four swords sequel/remake

Damn that U is really hurting.

Even if they wanted to keep the Wii name, even Wii 2 or Super Wii would have been better.

Wii U is what happens when you think too much in a name, the first fucking thing that would come to mind would have been better.

Top Bottom