• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three new U.S. Wii U commercials

Salsa

We're talking about these commercials though. These ads are garbage, at least from a marketing standpoint. These aren't the ads that will move consoles like "Wii would like to play." This is just a transitional move to give the marketing department something to do until they start giving people (kids included; who their target market is) reasons to be excited.

At best it's defensive marketing. It's trying to show people it's a different console, and it's going over the basics. In theory it could help in the long run when they have games to show, and the real marketing and advertising campaigns kick up though, but not very much.

Did they really emphasize why someone would want to upgrade? They did have reactions, but didn't really show why one should, considering it would cost $300-$350, it would cost a lot to upgrade.

Did they really show the new console properly? They emphasized the controller again and not really indicating the upgrade isn't just a new controller.

Im not saying it's fully there, im saying they're okay. I think they're effective enough in getting across the fact that it's a new console and it offers something different than the old one, specially when you put the 3 together. New way to play, better graphics. Stuff gets mentioned, stuff gets shown.

it could obviously be better and hammer this point further but for 30 second ads aimed at families I think they're alright, certainly wouldnt call them terrible.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I love my WiiU. I love Nintendo.

But seriously... come on Nintendo. This is just getting sad.

Why not show games? Why have a silly family playing around? Everything about it screams cheesy and forced - and no where does it feel like Nintendo is actually trying to brand their console. I can bet you anything that Sony commercials will be high-tech and focus on this new super powerful "next-gen supercomputer blah blah blah" and Microsoft will be touting the next Xbox as the "hub of your house and a gateway to social interactions yadayadayada..." But Nintendo basically spends 30 seconds trying to say "hey we have a new console" and yet they beat around the bush and don't bother to explicitly just say "HEY THIS IS A BRAND NEW CONSOLE." And even when they do get close... .... they don't give the consumer any reason to CARE. Is it more powerful? Does it have better games? Can it do something new and exciting?

Meh...

Because the Wii U is more detailed, they got to show off it's an HD console, using games that look better than PS3/360 also helps, and they got to show off the Gamepad.

Versus Wii where it was pretty easy to tell what it can do.

I don't see how they got that across. The games they showed didn't look noticeably better (especially to casuals) than anything on the 360/PS3 and unless they said it was HD (I don't remember so I could be wrong) they didn't really show that either.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Damn, I always wanted to visit NOA.
I better start a family, move close and hope the next Nintendo console is less than stellar.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man, the Wii really could sell itself. Such a simple and brilliant concept. It was impossible to get the marketing wrong.

Wii U is the opposite, impossible to get across in 30 seconds. I don't know how any advert could do it. Clearly Nintendo don't know either.

Show it as an HD Wii and then talk about the Gamepad.... or something. I still don't know.

Makes me believe they'd be doing much better if they'd focused on an upgraded Wii Remote instead of the tablet and put the extra saved money into the power of the console.

I don't see how they got that across. The games they showed didn't look noticeably better (especially to casuals) than anything on the 360/PS3 and unless they said it was HD (I don't remember so I could be wrong) they didn't really show that either.

The upgrade from Wii should be pretty obvious, PS360 not so much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
5knHq7L.gif

ACTUAL WiiU OWNERS ARE STOKED
This kid's face..

I'm dying. This is like some Kinect-level shit right here.

jwk94

Watching that second video, that's horrible advertising.

"You won't realize that its different from the Wii until you play it."

EDIT:

Wait, what's the point if they are actual Wii U owners? Wouldn't it be better to bring in people who don't already own the console?

Meelow

Banned
I love my WiiU. I love Nintendo.

But seriously... come on Nintendo. This is just getting sad.

Why not show games? Why have a silly family playing around? Everything about it screams cheesy and forced - and no where does it feel like Nintendo is actually trying to brand their console. I can bet you anything that Sony commercials will be high-tech and focus on this new super powerful "next-gen supercomputer blah blah blah" and Microsoft will be touting the next Xbox as the "hub of your house and a gateway to social interactions yadayadayada..." But Nintendo basically spends 30 seconds trying to say "hey we have a new console" and yet they beat around the bush and don't bother to explicitly just say "HEY THIS IS A BRAND NEW CONSOLE."

Meh...

The thing is these commercials won't be shown on TV, these are just for PC.

And these may suck but it does help the message across that it isn't the Wii.

I mean Nintendo making a new commercial and showing off a game that looks better than PS3/360 can really help.

Izick

Im not saying it's fully there, im saying they're okay. I think they're effective enough in getting across the fact that it's a new console and it offers something different than the old one, specially when you put the 3 together. New way to play, better graphics. Stuff gets mentioned, stuff gets shown.

it could obviously be better and hammer this point further but for 30 second ads aimed at families I think they're alright, certainly wouldnt call them terrible.

Yeah, I guess they're alright. That's the problem. It's not going to make an impact.

Focusing on recapturing the Wii audience is the right idea. Sorta cringeworthy execution, and they spent more time saying "it's different" than showing how it's different.

Speevy

Banned
This is the unofficial sequel to 2003's "It just keeps getting better."

The 10 year anniversary of "Who are you?" is not far away!

udivision

Makes me believe they'd be doing much better if they'd focused on an upgraded Wii Remote instead of the tablet and put the extra saved money into the power of the console.

An upgraded Wiimote wouldn't hold two-candles-instead-of-a-sensor-bar to the current Kinect in terms of appeal. I just can't see that being effectively advertised in a hands-free world.

Penguin

Watching that second video, that's horrible advertising.

"You won't realize that its different from the Wii until you play it."

It is sadly true
Something you need to experience

That said, should be more proactive about it

Hit the road, do Wii U shows at malls across the country. Make an event out of it everywhere.

Sandfox

Yeah, I guess they're alright. That's the problem. It's not going to make an impact.

Obviously not. Like you said these ads look like they are just there for now to inform people that the Wii U is different from the Wii and nothing else until they actually have something to make ads about.

So they're still attempting to recapture the long departed casual market. Very smrt Nintendo, very smrt.

The casual market may still be gone/heavily shrunken but Nintendo should still try to target kids and their parents.

Meelow

Banned
These wont appeal to teenagers at all. Obviously it is meant to appeal to dorky families.

It's not like these commercials are the only commercials Nintendo made and is going to make for Wii U.

The Wii "U" is for you for a reason, cores and casuals.

They got to get both messages across.

Kyoufu

It is sadly true
Something you need to experience

That said, should be more proactive about it

Hit the road, do Wii U shows at malls across the country. Make an event out of it everywhere.

But they don't have a killer app. Nothing to draw casuals in.

antonz

Ads are very good for the demographic these ads are for.

These ads are for the casual Wii families that aren't hardcore Gaf members.

Not surprised Gaf thinks they are terrible since they aren't made for Gaf minded people

It's not like these commercials are the only commercials Nintendo made and is going to make for Wii U.

The Wii "U" is for you for a reason, cores and casuals.

They got to get both messages across.

I actually think they are alright, could be better. Just wondering if they get the message across to dorky families or not.

Squire

Banned
So bad. So... on the nose.

If this is the bottom line that Sony/MS have to compete with, they're already above it thanks to online word of mouth alone.

I don't think everyone has the same meaning of UPGRADE.
I have a hunch that a lot of people think they could upgrade it by just downloading some software and buying the new tablet.

jwk94

They just need to re-make the "Wii would like to play" ads. I remember when my mom got my Wii she walked into my room a few minutes after midnight (she waited in line for a shipment at wal-mart) and she said "wii would like to play." I promptly freaked out. That ad was perfect.

DaBoss

I guess, I just think they can try and focus on what they're doing rather than show a lot of footage of them.

The thing is these commercials won't be shown on TV, these are just for PC.

And these may suck but it does help the message across that it isn't the Wii.

What gives you that idea? Why make it 30 sec?

Meelow

Banned
I guess, I just think they can try and focus on what they're doing rather than show a lot of footage of them.

What gives you that idea? Why make it 30 sec?

Because Nintendo did these kinda commercials for the Wii, and it was never shown on TV.

If Nintendo was to show this on TV they would also make one for the core gamers showing Zombi U, and upcoming games, etc.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ads are very good for the demographic these ads are for.

These ads are for the casual Wii families that aren't hardcore Gaf members.

Not surprised Gaf thinks they are terrible since they aren't made for Gaf minded people

They're aiming advertisements at families that have had their Wii's in a closet for the last four years.

That market has moved on. Obviously Nintendo hasn't.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
An upgraded Wiimote wouldn't hold two-candles-instead-of-a-sensor-bar to the current Kinect in terms of appeal. I just can't see that being effectively advertised in a hands-free world.

They could have easily included a camera to improve tracking, but I'm talking about other improvements as well.

Anything playing anywhere is a good way to restart. The lack of big games flashing wii u logos at the end of them is a big problem.

Whatever they run, they need to throw enough money at it to at least keep them running.

antonz

They're aiming advertisements at families that have had their Wii's in a closet for the last four years.

That market has moved on. Obviously Nintendo hasn't.

That's crap. Casual Wii games continue to sell quite well. Just Dance and the like continues to be a huge success on the Wii. But that's the typical troll thing hur hur no one plays their Wii

Top Bottom