• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three new U.S. Wii U commercials

JordanN

Banned
Obviously suggesting nobody would purchase a fictional WiiU, with similar specification to the ps4/720, was an exaggeration. What i mean is, it would probably pull numbers similar to the gamecube or worse. Obviously we don't know the exact pricing of the ps4/360 but we have seen educated guesses.

If you want proof, i can only provide past history as an indication. The gamecube sold less than the xbox, by only a small margin and both were destroyed by the ps2. The nintendo 64 also was mauled by the playstation in terms of comparative sales.

These consoles had similar specifications.
I knew it was going to come this. Funnily enough, I could pull up numbers showing Gamecube performing better than Wii U but it's been overused at this point.

Rather, let me try another approach.

Do you seriously think the market conditions for PS2 and PS1 still exist?

Try and find a console this gen that had the same lead over its competitors in both sales and software as those two did.

If you can't find that, then bringing up Gamecube and N64 is pointless.

You also suggest future Nintendo consoles (if they go that route) would all be Gamecubes. Why? There's no reason to believe Nintendo has to make the same ill fated mistakes that cost them market share over 10 years ago, today.

I'd argue Nintendo's problems back then had nothing to do with being too powerful. They were powerful with the SNES and still won. Rather, it was their failure to properly react to a changing market brought about by Sony. And they still suffer the consequences of not evolving with the industry, to this day.

tauroxd

Wii U is Nintendo's Vita and Vita is Sony's Wii U. *head explodes*

I have to say yes, but hey, that's not a awful thing to say because Vita is not dying anymore, it's more like about to die but I won't get worse than that
I think. Also, I'm making zero sense

Kyzon

I'm so sad that there are no random guys showing up to people's house saying Wii would like to play.... With U!

Foffy

Banned
Seriously, why are they pushing the element of upgrade with Wii U? Jesus fuck, are they embracing the fact that they poorly defined the system on its own outside of hardcore folk? Goddamn Nintendo of America, how are you so incompetent?

- Still no shots of the console until the end, but still the gamepad dominates.

- "Upgrading" to Wii U still sounds like the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii. Like upgrading a computer. 360 and PS3 owners don't "upgrade" to the next console, they just buy the damn thing.

They just keep digging :(

When I STILL have customers asking about that "Wii add-on" or "that the new handheld" in April, Nintendo still doesn't get it.

Yup

The two or so times someone actually asked me about the system, it was "So, what exactly is it?"

:/

- Still no shots of the console until the end, but still the gamepad dominates.

- "Upgrading" to Wii U still sounds like the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii. Like upgrading a computer. 360 and PS3 owners don't "upgrade" to the next console, they just buy the damn thing.

They just keep digging :(

bu bu but the console isn't what's important!

Paskil

What tangible, compelling reason does a casual have to purchase the more expensive Wii U than the already available Wii? Especially if they have a Wii that has been gathering dust since the novelty of Wii Sports and the other shovelware they purchased wore off. Nothing Nintendo has done or said has convinced me that they actually have one. I played NSMBU for the first time the other day and was not impressed.

I want to like you Nintendo. I love my 3DS, but you burned me once at 64 launch.

Bgamer90

Banned
"It's much more different than the Wii."

"I didn't realize how different it actually is."

Problem solved, stop complaining about "marketing."

Not really.

After saying it they cut to the gamepad controller.

I don't get why it's so hard to just zoom in on the console itself (showing the Wii U logo on it) and then show the gamepad.

burst

I knew it was going to come this. Funnily enough, I could pull up numbers showing Gamecube performing better than Wii U but it's been overused at this point.

Rather, let me try another approach.

Do you seriously think the market conditions for PS2 and PS1 still exist?

Try and find a console this gen that had the same lead over its competitors in both sales and software as those two did.

If you can't find that, then bringing up Gamecube and N64 is pointless.

I don't think that bringing up those two consoles is pointless. It clearly shows a lack of support from "hardcore" gamers and a move away from what is perceived as a brand for a younger demographic. Those are the people who will purchase a $500+ console at launch and will purchase multiple games over the lifespan (including mature titles, that third parties want to put out there).

So with similarly spec'd machines for two generations, nintendo was dominated. It was even bettered by a new entrant into the console space.

If they were trying to go for a "natural, just hanging out with the family" vibe, they've failed miserably.

Nintendo's complete lack of marketing competence astounds me. The sooner they realize they've lost that casual crowd, the better. Maybe then we'll actually see some advertising that isn't so safe.

TunaLover

Many people points it's finger to Iwata, but I think that Miyamoto is the main problem here by holding Nintendo back to '90. It doesn't matter if Iwata quits, the next president will obviously seek Miyamoto's wishes to the word.

guyGF57.png

Family on the couch enjoying their Nintendo Wii, while kid sits in an arm chair playing his Sega GameGear... Wait what?!

The Wii-U is such a weird contrast to the original Wii. The Wii feels like it was designed to be a family fun machine straight from the get go... here the Wii-U almost feels like it is more designed for an individual user than a whole group of people.... Sure you can append some controllers to the machine, but there's still only going to be one person using the Wii-U controller at a time.

Jesus that dad is huge :(

JordanN

Banned
I don't think that bringing up those two consoles is pointless. It clearly shows a lack of support from "hardcore" gamers and a move away from what is perceived as a brand for a younger demographic. Those are the people who will purchase a $500+ console at launch and will purchase multiple games over the lifespan (including mature titles, that third parties want to put out there).

So with similarly spec'd machines for two generations, nintendo was dominated. It was even bettered by a new entrant into the console space.
There are no modern day PS2's.

Whatever Nintendo would sell, it's unlikely the competition will be 8x that. We're also talking a market where exclusive games, in particular, Japanese ones, are no longer king.

It's very erroneous trying to compare the past with the present.

What's so hard about making a decent commercial to appeal to a lot of people that grabs a lot of people's attention.

Like Sony's YouTube PS4 ad:

http://youtu.be/x7QhUL8NUK4

It has over 28 million views. And thumbed up the wazzu.

Can't be that hard.... right?

Sony's really firing all on cylinders in the run up to the next gen, holy shiet.

They finally have the right ad agency(ies) employed again.

Those Wii U ads were better than the initial batch for the target demographic, but that's not really something to be proud of.

Terrell

You also suggest future Nintendo consoles (if they go that route) would all be Gamecubes. Why? There's no reason to believe Nintendo has to make the same ill fated mistakes that cost them market share over 10 years ago, today.

They don't have to make those same mistakes when those mistakes are still trudged up 10 years later as reasons not to buy their hardware, regardless of what it is or does.

That's the funny thing about mistakes in this industry: the hardcore gamers will never EVER let you forget them.

It'll be interesting to see how and where that hurts Microsoft and Sony moving forward, as both begin to establish patterned behavior, as well.

I have to say yes, but hey, that's not a awful thing to say because Vita is not dying anymore, it's more like about to die but I won't get worse than that
I think. Also, I'm making zero sense
Vita users actually buy software though, at a pretty high attach rate too.

JordanN

Banned
They don't have to make those same mistakes when those mistakes are still trudged up 10 years later as reasons not to buy their hardware, regardless of what it is or does.

That's the funny thing about mistakes in this industry: the hardcore gamers will never EVER let you forget them.

It'll be interesting to see how and where that hurts Microsoft and Sony moving forward, as both begin to establish patterned behavior, as well.
I'm not sure what you're saying? Are you saying mistakes are permanent, even if they actually address them (they haven't by the way)?

I anticipate evidence of this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nothing wrong with those ads since they target a complete different part of customers. Don't know why GAF has to go crazy again ....

burst

There are no modern day PS2's.

Whatever Nintendo would sell, it's unlikely the competition will be 8x that. We're also talking a market where exclusive games, in particular, Japanese ones, are no longer king.

It's very erroneous trying to compare the past with the present.

Where is the proof that the new consoles will not sell x8?

So if the market is becoming smaller, i would imagine the third placed console would be squeezed out eventually? If it is not profitable for them of course.

Terrell

I'm not sure what you're saying? Are you saying mistakes are permanent, even if they actually address them (they haven't by the way)?

I anticipate evidence of this.

Go talk to an average non-GAF hardcore gamer and ask them what they think about Nintendo. The same arguments that were present in 2001 live to this very day, despite some of them no longer being relevant (though I admit, not all of them). The fact that you still hear the word "kiddie" as a descriptor in Nintendo discussions or on the lips of these gamers is all the proof needed.

And you're starting to see it in MS and Sony discussions, as well. Narratives begin to form and they all focus around the mistakes of the past that they can't shake. Any signs of repetition to them (whether real or perceived) only make them worse.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I think these adds will work as intended if placed correctly.

GAF is definitely making them seems worse than they are... not sure why, unless we think it's aimed as us? >.<

[edit] or unless people think that the "kiddie/family" stigma associated to Nintendo is only a bad thing. lol

Nothing wrong with those ads since they target a complete different part of customers. Don't know why GAF has to go crazy again ....

There are ways to target families much better than this, and Nintendo actually knew how once. People are going crazy because nintendo has barely advertised the system and this is how they plan to get back. Reeks of desperation which makes sense considering how desperate they are to have even a shred of relevancy with wiiu

JordanN

Banned
Go talk to an average non-GAF hardcore gamer and ask them what they think about Nintendo. The same arguments that were present in 2001 live to this very day, despite some of them no longer being relevant (though I admit, not all of them). The fact that you still hear the word "kiddie" as a descriptor in Nintendo discussions or on the lips of these gamers is all the proof needed.

And you're starting to see it in MS and Sony discussions, as well. Narratives begin to form and they all focus around the mistakes of the past that they can't shake. Any signs of repetition to them (whether real or perceived) only make them worse.
This sounds like hearsay which really isn't a great argument.

Gamer: "Man that Nintendo sucks"
*Nintendo shows GTA and COD*
Gamer: "Omg, I love that Mario guy"

Basically, the power of persuasion.

GAF is not a person.

For example, I love the Wii U. I've bought five retail titles, all new at $60, and I plan on buying at least fifteen more.

Doesn't mean I can't call out ineffective, lazy advertising when I see it.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
There are ways to target families much better than this, and Nintendo actually knew how once. People are going crazy because nintendo has barely advertised the system and this is how they plan to get back. Reeks of desperation which makes sense considering how desperate they are to have even a shred of relevancy with wiiu

What better ways are those, exactly?

This is not a situation where Nintendo can simply launch a new Wii-style campaign, mostly because of the name familiarity. This also demonstrates advertising on a budget. I'm guessing this is most likely a stop-gap until more software comes out. Real testimonials can be extremely powerful, especially in the talk-show style that is so popular in the United States.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You say it yourself that such ads might be the right thing right now with software droughts and first party must haves still months away. No matter what the ad would show it doesn't change the fact that the WiiU is screwed right now, they'll just have to keep the ship sailing till the 2nd half of the year. Even if pathetic measures are needed to get at least some sales in this dire situation.

These new commercials are a huge upgrade. It's a really fun time. Something completely different. It's important for kids to have that as part of their childhood. Nintendo should ditch their other commercials for these.

GhaleonEB

Even if I didn't know what Wii-U's sales were, I think I'd be able to tell from these ads that Nintendo was getting desperate. When you've got ads at this point trying to tell people that your new console is not the same as your old console, you're in trouble.

TunaLover

You say it yourself that such ads might be the right thing right now with software droughts and first party must haves still months away. No matter what the ad would show it doesn't change the fact that the WiiU is screwed right now, they'll just have to keep the ship sailing till the 2nd half of the year. Even if pathetic measures are needed to get at least some sales in this dire situation.
But they have ways to appeal the core, I think off TV play is great for this segment, Miiverse comunities, and gamepad touch features.

Burai

shitonmychest57
"This really is completely different!"

*Shows kids swatting with Wiimotes.

"The graphics are so much better!"

*Shows New Super Asset Recycle Bros.

These commercials just highlight how badly wrong Nintendo have got this console launch. There are no games to justify the points they make in the commercials. They try to highlight how it's all new and amazing and are forced to show stuff that people already have in their Wii and 3DS. New Super Mario? Wiimotes? Making a Mii on a touch screen? Lego games? Playing together as a family?

If Nintendo don't have a game that does for the Gamepad that Wii Sports did for the Wiimote at E3 then they might as well just wrap it up and go home. People aren't going to spend $300 on a "Wii Deluxe".

They pretty much are pretending the Wiiu doesnt exist with the first party lineup in the next few months so they should just focus on the 3ds right now until they actually have something to sell and then relaunch. Actual wiiu owners, was compensated? Are you kidding me, anyone can see how fake this shit is. They're blowing money in the wind.

Top Bottom