• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thundercats 30th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
In "now you feel old" news, Thudercats celebrated their 30th anniversary a couple of days ago. the characters were created by Theodore Walter "Tobin" Wolf back in 1981, but the show was released in 1985, January 23th to be precise.
Thundercats_Logo.jpg

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the ThunderCats television show debuting on television. Along with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, G.I. Joe and The Transformers, the series and its accompanying toy line were popular with boys (and their cool sisters) who grew up in the 1980s.
The original show run for 4 seasons and had 130 episodes (including the pilot), the show was special for many reasons, it had a legimite end, It included a visually impaired character, and the characters didn't bother to wear clothes at the beginning

I loved the show as a kid, but as an adult I'm more critical about certain aspects ofit, the animation quality is really questionable in some episodes (the intro is still top notch), the morals look forced at times (just look at the drugs PSA episode "The garden of delights") and yes some characters were just created to sell toys, but overalls is still one of the top animated series from my childhood. On a much higher tier than G.I. Joe and He-man

Thundercats_no_1.png

And of course we had comics, the first ones were released by the defunct company "Star comics" in 1985, Star was a subdivision of Marvel and published the Thundercats comics for 3 years, it wasn't anything special. In 2002 Wildstorm published new Thundercats comics, this time focused on mature stories that were more faithful to the original story, the art was great and the stories were quite good too, but there was a particular mini-series that to this day is controversial for both fans and comic book readers, "Thundercats: The Return", this picture pretty much tells the whole thing.

2537349-thundercats_2011.jpg

In 2011 Thundercats received another chance, after all we got a reboot of He-Man in 2002, G.I. Joe in 2004 and MLP in 2010. The show was focused more on Thundera as a city in the Third Planet and despite its faults it was a pretty good show that lasted 1 season and 26 episodes. And that's all, we won't see more of this show for a long time due low ratings and awful sales on toys.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...erca_b_6534858.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Jarnet87

Thundercats was my shit when I was a kid. A couple years back I rented the first season as I've never seen the whole show. Eventually I'll go back and rewatch the series.

Thundercats show never lived up to the opening But I liked it. It was fairly original.

I also liked the reboot, a shame it died soon.

The reboot was dope...I wish it got a chance to grow and last, but unfortunately it got Korra'd and was killed because it couldn't move toys (and got doubly-shafted with moving timeslots on Cartoon Network).

I'll always be a fan of this franchise.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Im still suprised the reboot has so many fans. Especially with its inconsistency

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I thought the reboot was kind of interesting, but it felt stuck between trying to emulate the cheesy cliches of 80s cartoons and going for a exotic form of high fantasy that would be respectable to adult viewers. It ironically would have benefited from emulating Japanese animation more in terms of story construction and not just visual style.

Sapiens

One of the first milestones of the age of retromania and nostalgia masturbation.

Thundercats and Atari t-shirts.

So true. The intro was one of the first videos my brother and I watched on our first computer back in the late nineties. Using real player. In a super low resolution. But it was a glorious moment.

Thundercats was a fantastic series until they got rid of Leonard Starr, who was responsible for the majority of the best episodes and concepts, and left sometime after "Mumm-Ra Lives!", the five parter that introduced Skytomb, the Dark Side of Third Earth and the Lunataks. Voice cast was great, especially Earl Hammond as Mumm-ra.

Reboot was mostly terrible, though it had a couple of standouts like the Petalars and Drifter episodes.

bionic77

Loved the show as a kid.

But if I watch it now I can't get over the weird voice acting. Sounds like everything is slowed down to half speed.

Kanyon

Awesome show with some fantastic lore. Reboot was pretty sweet too, pissed off that it only got 1 season as it had so much potential.

FUCK, I forgot how well animated that intro is. 80's kids are some of the luckiest mofo's ever man.

You would be surprised that car seats for children weren't required during the early 80s. I still remember riding in the back of the family car, buckled up with no car seat.

Sobriquet

Snarf snarf.

Out of all the toy-based animation shows in the 80s, I could never get into Thundercats. Loved GI Joe, MASK, Transformers, and Masters of the Universe. Even some forgotten ones like Wheeled Warriors and Go-Bots.

Flintty

I'm going to snag myself one of the Classics line Lion-O figures.

I looked at them and they do look authentic but you can't beat the original, with the tool that lights up the eyes!

mvmGi5j3CGpNuGO7digTw7g.jpg

In hindsight though, the quality of that figure was poor! But I had many hours of fun with it.

I had the Thunder Tank and Thunder Claw. God knows what happened to them.

Brilliant cartoon. I remember Cheetara made me feel weird.

Ha ha ha...yep.

Loved this as a kid. We had a Sword of Omens toy that lit up and it was always one of the top toys in the house. I liked the new show quite a bit, too...the episode with the leaf people always caught me right in the feels. It was nice to get to share Thundercats with my daughter even if it was short-lived.

Heh, just yesterday I was trying to figure out who made the Thundercats intro. I thought I heard it was a Japanese studio. Anybody have a clue?

Heh, just yesterday I was trying to figure out who made the Thundercats intro. I thought I heard it was a Japanese studio. Anybody have a clue?
The whole series was made in Japan, the studio was "Pacific Animation Corporation" directed by Masaki Iizuka. PAC was set by Rankin/Bass so when the company was closed PAC was closed too. Izuka also produced Jack Frost, Pinoccio's Christmas among other movies for Rankin/Bass.

Flappy

Banned
I remember the rug I was sat on when I watched the pilot episode. For some reason that rug always stuck in my head 30 years later lol.

Anyway, I loved the show and was hooked until it ended. It had an amazing musical score (Jaga's theme is amazing)

They waited way too long to reboot Thundercats. By the time the reboot came around an entire generation of kids who had never heard of Thundercats were raised on other Properties.

GI Joe, and Transformers had recent properties (and much more popular toys) for kids to latch onto or adults to hearken back to. Thundercats was a memory.

I remember watching this run on Toonami. Good stuff.

Toonami was such a good place for cool new shows, as well as cool old school shows. I just wish the revival was more than once a week late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom