• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thundercats 30th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I could embarass myself if I post all of my TC stuff. My most prized being the signatures from Kenny, Lynne and Peter from last year's ComiConn.

Even doubling up on the new series figures and talking with other dads in the stores when they were hard to find wasn't enough to save the show =(.
Edit: talking to other fans wouldn't save the show, but the fact that they sold like hotcakes as soon as they were stocked seemed like a clear sign of success to me/us.

To this day and for all time, I can perfectly recall The Sword Call and Mum-Ra's Transformation Invocation Sequence and send waves of positively tingling chills throughout my entire body---really short damn list of other stuff out there with that kind of resonance.

Even amidst the faults, they somehow managed something at times far greater than the sum of the parts.

The Best Combo used to be this AND the Conan cartoon back to back---but alas it didn't get anywhere near as long a run as Thundercats despite also being more competent than many other shows at the time.

Heh, I recognize folks from the old OT for the reboot...there were such high hopes for awhile there only to result in more bitterness towards CN than most up until then would've expected at their worst.

That's crazy, OP...I remember the actual day the first episode ran. It was hyped up on TV like a special event and I couldn't wait to watch it.

I remember watching it and then my mother running towatds the TV to censor it when Mum-Ra appeared! hahaha...Guess his appearance is rather terrifying.

A mate and I went back and watched an episode of this a few years ago. Imagine our amazement to be presented a child's morality play about US foreign policy and the importance of securing oil (thundarium) reserves Including Panthro giving a speech to the kids about current lack of viable renewable alternatives. It was very bizarre.

NekoFever

I kind of regret buying the DVD and watching it again a few years ago, because it really hasn't aged well. The intro is amazing, great music, cool design, but man...

The whole series was made in Japan, the studio was "Pacific Animation Corporation" directed by Masaki Iizuka. PAC was set by Rankin/Bass so when the company was closed PAC was closed too. Izuka also produced Jack Frost, Pinoccio's Christmas among other movies for Rankin/Bass.

Ah, that's good to know. There was an anime intro thread here on gaf a few days ago and I was wondering if the Thundercats intro would be considered anime.

Original Mumm Ra figure was oddly frightening.

Mezco made a pretty badass looking version.

Mezco has some Thundercats figures being announced next month at the NY toy fair. Could be a continuation of these giant guys.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2015/01/mezco_will_have_new_thundercats_toys_at_toy_fair_2.php

Hiltz

I hate how they cancelled the 2011 version of the show. It was getting interesting again with that one of the plot twists by a certain character.

I didn't watch much of the original TV series since the character designs looked creepy, and it felt like an beast version of He-Man. Of course, the intro music was great.

this_guy

Loved the show as a kid, but when I watched episodes when I got older I saw how bad the show actually is. Animation is horrible, characters speak so slowly, and they say things out loud when they're thinking.

Suen

Genuinely one of the best cartoons I've seen. I'm afraid to watch it today....like what if it's so shit and ruins all my childhood memories :/

Loved the show as a kid, but when I watched episodes when I got older I saw how bad the show actually is. Animation is horrible, characters speak so slowly, and they say things out loud when they're thinking.
Please :/

Stay away and don't ruin your memories like I did.

It was so strange when I went back to watch it. I had the first four episodes taped since 1987 and would watch them countless times and even now it was pretty damn good.

Then to experience the drop off afterwards was a bit disappointing, particularly in the acting. The actors could act, and those first few episodes show it, but afterwards in some episodes they could sound rather droll or bored. Not for every ep mind you, but still a unwanted surprise.

RPGCrazied

Damn, I missed it. :( Oh well. I wish BCI was still around to maybe get the rights to remaster the video to DVD. They did a awesome job on the He-Man sets. I own all the original DVDS for thundercats though. Its nice to have them all on DVD, even if the video quality is on the bad side, at least the colors are good. I doubt they are going to spend the money on remastering 130 episodes.

The old sets are better than nothing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Thundercats was my shit when I was a kid. A couple years back I rented the first season as I've never seen the whole show. Eventually I'll go back and rewatch the series.

Don't. It holds up worse than anything I had any interest in back then. It's really the only thing I'm embarrassed to have ever liked.

RPGCrazied

Don't. It holds up worse than anything I had any interest in back then. It's really the only thing I'm embarrassed to have ever liked.

Its better than half of the cartoons on today. The only thing I had a hard time liking was Snarf, but even then he had some charm in some episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom