• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurott.com: Microsoft’s Bringing Xbox Live to Android and iOS

Gamezone

Gold Member
For more than a decade, when you think about Xbox Live, you are likely thinking of a black box that sits in your living room that connects to an online service. After all, the Xbox brand’s best asset is its online functionality and the Live service has proven to be the best-in-class online gaming platform in the console segment.

Starting today, Microsoft is bringing Xbox Live to additional platforms. Specifically, the company is releasing an SDK (software development kit) that will enable Android and iOS developers to take advantage of the Xbox Live community.

With the new SDK, developers will be able to leverage Xbox’s trusted game identity, cross-platform integration, achievements, and other services that the company hopes will entice mobile game developers to use its platform. The goal is that by using Xbox Live services, the mobile developer will be able to easily tap into the already established Xbox community to drive more adoption of the new application.

By opening up Xbox Live to other platforms, Microsoft is accelerating the slow pivot from the online service being tied explicitly to a console and instead positioning it as a fabric for online gaming. Couple this new SDK with Game Stack, that was also announced today, means that Microsoft is providing new front-end and back-end solutions that they hope will attract developers, large and small, to its online suite of services.

Rumors have been swirling for some time that Nintendo and Microsoft were up to ‘something’ and while it was initially rumored that GamePass was headed to the Switch, Xbox Live integration may make a bit more sense. Considering that Nintendo’s online platform is, ahem, lacking, with Game Stack and this SDK, the dream of Nintendo dropping its own online platform for Microsoft’s becomes, at least technically, possible.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/202978/microsofts-bringing-xbox-live-to-android-and-ios

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Interesting. Since it's just an available SDK, I'm curious to see what developers can do with it. I assume that means Xbox Live achievements could potentially be earned in Android games along with other integrations like friends lists and such.

If Microsoft were smart about this, they would moneyhat some of the more popular Android games and/or provide their own in-house team to do the integration on behalf of stuff like Candy Crush or Clash of Clans.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Great, let's extend the paid subscription service to other ecosystems. I need more walled off gardens that I pay for.

so xbox is now basically a virtual platform. i feel like somehow im gonna get shafted in the end by all this.

They are already shafting you.
For all their basting about giving people options, they sure dont give xbox users the choice of not paying to play multiplayer.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Gold is Free

on PC

But you don't have the benefits of the Gold subscription like any%off discounts...or free games...theres no Gold subscription..you can only play mp yes

And even on Xbox you don't have to pay, when you create an ms account you create also an Xbox live account

Like for play Minecraft on switch you Need an Xbox live account (for what i know) but not Gold...

But this thing of the topic Is only things for developers for what i understand...

xStoyax

Banned
But you don't have the benefits of the Gold subscription like any%off discounts...or free games...theres no Gold subscription..you can only play mp yes

And even on Xbox you don't have to pay, when you create an ms account you create also an Xbox live account

Like for play Minecraft on switch you Need an Xbox live account (for what i know) but not Gold...

But this thing of the topic Is only things for developers for what i understand...

PC has access to plenty of discounts, usually far deeper than Microsoft. PC players just aren't paying to buy a coupon book to gain access to them. And there's free games on PC literally weekly on different sites.

nikolino840

PC has access to plenty of discounts, usually far deeper than Microsoft. PC players just aren't paying to buy a coupon book to gain access to them. And there's free games on PC literally weekly on different sites.
Ok but the topic Is about Microsoft gaming universe not others....

The wind is shifting in the industry for sure. Software defined everything is here now and penetrating every market. With Google on the verge of announcing something, and Microsoft leaning in hard.. Sony and Nintendo are going to have to really step up to keep up.

PSN / Nintendo was free until they wanted to make customers pay for it. I can play Sony games for free on PC also.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
It just sounds like a SDK for developers to grab and use XBL information/communication, not really much different than the Games for Windows SDK for developers back in 2007. Developers eventually have to rip that shit out. Not sure why anyone would think this would cost money.

(Here is the old Windows Live SDK information from)
http://www.liveside.net/2007/04/30/windows-live-data-sdk-and-more/

Following the news that Bioshock 2’s been stripped of Games for Windows Live, Codemasters have announced that they’re removing the outdated service from Dirt 3. The DRM system developed by Microsoft is due to be shut down on 1 July, 2014. When it goes offline it will stop many of the games using it from working.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/codemasters-are-stripping-games-windows-live-dirt-3-favour-steamworks

(Feels like we're in an infinite rinse and repeat clothes washer cycle loop)

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
To push that MAU

Technically, the already have Xbox access on iOS, Android, Win10, Win8, etc and anything with a web browser. (billions of devices) If they believe in game streaming... no reason to release individual sdks, not sure why they would worry about this, you build on the Microsoft stack, and you're done, no reason to develop on all these platforms. I'm so confused by what Phil is doing. :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Sataya Nadella was the best thing to happen to the company.

If enterprise cloud services are your thing, he's your man (i.e. Cloud Boy), if you're into devices and consumer products, well not so much (he gutted those like a turkey on thanksgiving). He has cover to cut what he wants on the consumer/devices side as the enterprise cloud services are basically taking over the company.

Last edited:

Solo Act

If enterprise cloud services are your thing, he's your man (i.e. Cloud Boy), if you're into devices and consumer products, well not so much (he gutted those like a turkey on thanksgiving). He has cover to cut what he wants on the consumer/devices side as the enterprise cloud services are basically taking over the company.
That's a little misleading given the topic of discussion here (gaming). He made cuts to devices in the way of Nokia, Windows Phone, Microsoft Band, etc. Microsoft has arguably never had better (or more profitable) devices than under Nadella; the entire Surface line and Xbox One redesigns particularly. Unless I'm forgetting something, Microsoft hasn't cut any gaming-related device under Nadella's leadership, and has really leaned into that business.

CyberPanda

Banned
That's a little misleading given the topic of discussion here (gaming). He made cuts to devices in the way of Nokia, Windows Phone, Microsoft Band, etc. Microsoft has arguably never had better (or more profitable) devices than under Nadella; the entire Surface line and Xbox One redesigns particularly. Unless I'm forgetting something, Microsoft hasn't cut any gaming-related device under Nadella's leadership, and has really leaned into that business.
I’m just glad Ballmer is gone.

Gamezone

Gold Member
TBH Achievements might be all the incentive I need to start playing some shitty Gatcha games that I have always ignored before.

Or with this they could try creating some decent console-light experiences on mobile.

I’d be happy with either or a mixture of both.

This.

I used to play XBL enabled games on my phone just for this reason.

This will also function as free marketing for developers as achivements show up on users activity feed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom