• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Tiananmen Square" and "Winnie Pooh" are banned on the official stream of Valve's Dota 2 The International

Helios

Typing any of those phrases on http://twitch.tv/dota2ti will get you banned, first for 2 minutes, and unknown after that (haven't tried).

Considering the fact that Valve is working with the Chinese government on a version of Steam that will follow Chinese laws, it's a scary development from a company that's otherwise known for not having any chat filters in their games.

Checked it myself and it's true

bLPn3C9.png

Unfortunately for the Chinese gouvernment they really don't understand how the internet works
hfRRF3v.png

rAXkdqM.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what? but but epic was supposed to be the only evil china spyware company
this aint fair.

how am i supposed to like steam now ?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i am impressed how much this shit is back firing on em.
every 3 seconds people get banned

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
No surprise. Practically every twitch streamer has a rule of no politics in their chat too because invariably it drags the chat away from its intended purpose, which appears to be copypasta memes. And since twitch chat's average maturity is inversely proportional to the number of participants as soon as you tell them not to do something that is what some not-so-insignificant percentage of them will do over and over until they get attention.

mango drank

^ Valve didn't ban political talk to preserve civility; it bowed to an oppressive regime's demands for censorship.

Last edited:
Citation needed.
It's just a conspiracy, dude. Don't pay it any attention. We have a trustworthy media and body of tech conglomerates that have behaved in a trustworthy manner, it's pretty obvious. The idea that these companies would conspire with governments or self-censor due to government and/or ideological pressure is just... :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Pffft, please. These guys probably think Alex Jones shouldn't have been deplatformed, too.

brian0057

Banned
It's just a conspiracy, dude. Don't pay it any attention. We have a trustworthy media and body of tech conglomerates that have behaved in a trustworthy manner, it's pretty obvious. The idea that these companies would conspire with governments or self-censor due to government and/or ideological pressure is just... :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Pffft, please. These guys probably think Alex Jones shouldn't have been deplatformed, too.
Surely you jest.
Next thing you'll tell me is that Google is developing a search engine for the exclusive use of the Chinese government.
You people and your conspiracy theories...

Arkage

Banned
The sad fact seems to be that capitalistic mechanisms drive companies like Google or Valve to bend to the will of governments who have ethical norms they would otherwise impose. Profit motives almost always dominate ethics concerns.

Kataploom

Gold Member
And there's still dumb people that wants them to expand even more in the west "for the sake of diversity" and to be against Trump... Dayum... After what they're doing in my country, I can't be more against that idea...

Top Bottom