• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tifa Lockhart removed from YouTube Auto complete function

angelic

Banned
At least they got something right.

20190719-150537.jpg

Saruhashi

Banned
Maybe ... I dunno, could it be that Tifa is an offensive word in another language?

It could be something like that for sure.

At a minimum it is pretty interesting why this would not be included in autocomplete.

You can start a search with "final fantasy 7" and then basically begin to type any character and/or major item and location in the game and you will get an autocomplete.

Except for "Tifa" that's a bit odd. The closest you can get is "Final Fantasy 7 Tiffany".

If you do just fully type in "Final Fantasy 7 Tifa" though then you'll get a whole bunch of hits for videos that have "Tifa" in the title.
Hell, "Tifa's Theme" leads to videos with millions of views but it definietly won't auto complete.

Would love to know why to be honest. It just seems like a weird thing to have happening.

Saruhashi

Banned
If you can still search for something on their search bar it isn't actually censorship.

Fair enough but it still seems like an interesting situation.

Surely, youtube's autocomplete options work based on what is happening on the site.

For example, if I begin to search "Marvel U" then it auto completes to many Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 options since I guess a lot of people are searching for those terms.

In fact, just starting by typing in "Marvel" will autocomplete to a few "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3" entries mixed in with other Marvel stuff. I assume because many people are searching for that right now.

I think the autocomplete terms will be set by the actual searches being made by the users unless Youtube deliberately steps in to block something.

Someone at Youtube would have to go in and ensure that "Final Fantasy 7 tif" does not autocomplete to anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom