• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Gizmondo emulator has surfaced

stranno

YqeVjzY.gif

Someone called Aiden Foxx has published a Tiger Gizmondo emulator on Github. It's packed with the scene release of Alien Hominid (preview version) so I guess it is legit. It does not seem to run any other game atm.

No source code, future plans or any other explanation has been posted so far.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Impressive, a lot of effort for a console with only 14 games. Can't try the emulator at the moment as it's Windows only, though the bundled libraries suggest it could be multi-platform later.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
YqeVjzY.gif

Someone called Aiden Foxx has published a Tiger Gizmondo emulator on Github. It's packed with the scene release of Alien Hominid (preview version) so I guess it is legit. It does not seem to run any other game atm.

No source code, future plans or any other explanation has been posted so far.

Ill be impressed if it runs the unreleased Speedgun Stadium. The CPU part isn't really that special (ARM9, 400 Mhz) so its in the GoForce chip.

ME0000579804_2__w1280.jpg
ME0000579803_2__w1280.jpg

Speaking of Gizmondo, there is a scene demo about it (Has a Windows port):

I haven't seen any footage of the game, but I guess it's just slow on my end. Gizmondo should be a really capable console, it was packed with Nvidia hardware.
Its not that capable. Nvida bolstered it with interesting features like pixel shader support, but Goforce 4500 isn't that hugely powerful. For its timeframe however, it is capable.

Links:
Feeding the Beast: How to Satiate your GoForce while Differentiating your Game (GDC 2005)
Coming to a Pixel near You: Mobile 3D graphics on the GoForce WMP (GDC 2005)
GoForce WMP Overview (GDC 2005)
Directory of GDC 2005 presentations

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I am kinda interested in the Gizmondo rendition of Trailblazer.

stranno

Aiden has posted some info on Reddit.

I was waiting until I'd published the source before I posted anything to a bigger sub. But since we're here, I can give some more info on where the project is at. :)

The emulator is a HLE implementation, leveraging Unicorn (a QEMU based CPU emulator) to handle the ARM9 CPU of the giz. However, after profiling I found the "hooks" feature of Unicorn is the biggest bottleneck in the current build. Right now I'm focusing on removing hooks, and adding an interrupt based alternative.

The second thing holding me back is implementing multi-threading for the console, and this is a major blocker since 99% of games rely on it. Luckily this isn't too hard.

Once these two things are implemented, the "core" of the emulator should be complete, and I'll be happy to release the source.

EDIT: Oh, and for anyone curious, the source is POSIX compliant, and compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux.

Top Bottom