• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timberwolf |OT| Get ur indie ass in here! (Free for GAF!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
!Update 6/25/13

First music video for Old Soul!

Here. Or just click the picture!

!Update: 3/15/12

Well, the sound cloud has passed 10,000 plays and as promised, a brand new song:

And now back to the show . .​

"Look dude, I don't care. Just link me to like your best song and be done with it."

No problem. How about the second best, just for good measure?

. . Oh, you're still here? Well, then I’d like to introduce you to someone.

timber-bannergaf.png

Recorded over the past 6 months in a single bedroom, TIMBERWOLF is the debut album
of singer-songwriter turned producer by necessity/fellow gaffer Sam Young. One part
obsession with the old west, two parts raw and a third part open tuning, TIMBERWOLF
tackles the literal meaning behind "bedroom folk" and how much crying you can get
away with and still be considered a man. Or something.

Timberwolf400.png

Timberwolf | Timberwolf (44:15)
Stream | Gaf GOLD Download
Tracklist
1. My Life In A Cave (3:07)
2. Old Soul (3:29)
3. In The Background (4:05)
4. So It Seems (3:32)
5. Into The Woods (6:59)
6. When I Woke(3:21)
7. I’m Fine Without You (4:50)
8. Into The Woods, Night II (1:49)
9. Eternal Sunshine (4:55)
10. Winchester (8:14)​

timber-WoM.png

From Beatsperminute.com
"...And if you combine this with his delivery style, which is earnest (as said), but simultaneously sort of charmingly flamboyant, you have a portrait of a guy who is trying to work out his problems in front of you. . .Once you become familiar with Young’s stories, you’ll be happy to lend him an ear to listen, or even a shoulder to cry on."

FromtheYorker.co.uk
"And whether it’s the ambiguity of where the divide is between Young himself and the character of Timberwolf, or the plethora of instruments utilised throughout, or the beautiful imagery and allegory he employs lyrically, whatever it is, the album has an inescapable sense of fantasy, magic and mystery all over it. Overall there is just something irresistible about it."

From hazyacres.com
". . Timberwolf is a pretty original thing. . .His tracks remind me a lot of John Vanderslice the way the layers are added on slowly and then stripped down. It’s easy to get into Timberwolf and just let the tracks play."

From Music Without Labels:
“I’m a fan, simple as that and it’s hard to ignore the talent you are about to listen to . . I mean, come on, the voice and the guitar work? This dude must clean house when it comes to the ladies.”

From Some Random Dude Who Reviewed It On Amazon That I Seriously Don't Know
The Doctor said:
“. . The album has unique, thoughtful lyrics coupled with refreshingly original melodies . . I almost listed my favorite tracks but honestly, it's sounds like it's meant to be heard as a whole. And the whole is worth your time.”

From absolutepunk.net
Yet the words here are earnestly and wittily written, packed with imagery, declarations, and one-off reflections on the feelings we all experience at one time or another . . The refusal to sum up feelings into catchy platitudes or to simplify them to character beats makes them worth listening to.

timber-Support.png

The CD is a real thing now! My friend just received her copy and I found this picture waiting. So pumped to get it out there!

It's now up on Pandora!!

timber-showsandmisc.png

Premiere Show!
show1.png

Febuary, 23rd |@| 9:00pm
Stone Rose |@| The Hotel Sofitel
8555 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048

That is all. Thank you for listening.​

Soma

Gave the whole thing a listen. This was really great.

I can totally see myself putting this on repeat quite a bit.

I have quite a few friends who'd eat this up so I'm gonna spread the word on this. Great stuff man, thanks a lot!

Kaladin

After a very quick listen in the early morning hours nearing the end of a 16 hour work shift, I think I like it. I'm Fine Without You and So It Seems might be my favorites. I'll have to give it another listen when I'm more awake.

Cynaith

I'm really enjoying this. Good voice, atmosphere, and choice of instruments. The female voice on track 7 adds variety, and I like her saying TIMBERWOLF at the end.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
YES! Everyone on GAF should hear this to get an understanding of just how talented you are man. I've been listening to it a lot lately and you've got a big fan in me. <3

soultron

Banned
Grabbed this from the new music thread when someone mentioned it was you!

Congrats and all the best with this endeavour, Hodie. I've not listened all the way through just yet, but I did like what I heard.

Also, keep making cool film stuff too!

You've got my support, it's brilliant. I love "My Life In A Cave", it is a great song to start the album, there is a lot of energy and your voice is just sublime. I immediately went to the next song because I wanted to hear more. There are some very interesting sounds throughout the album, it's nice to see you're not afraid to experiment. I wish you success.

gdt

Oh wow, I expected it to be shit, but it's actually really unique and exciting. Damn, what a twist.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Damn, guys! I was hoping someone else would dig it but I did not expect such a warm response. Thanks so much for listening!

Has anyone downloaded it at all? I want to make sure that .rar file is clean and perfectly tagged and whatnot.

Tacoparty

Neo Member
Just listened to the first song...... and the second.... and now It's on my ipod for errand running today. I'm diggin' it a lot. Excellent job.

Honestly, I came in here not expecting anything at all. But meeting you at the LA meetup sparked my interest. Winchester is awesome. Keep it up!

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
Damn, guys! I was hoping someone else would dig it but I did not expect such a warm response. Thanks so much for listening!

Has anyone downloaded it at all? I want to make sure that .rar file is clean and perfectly tagged and whatnot.

Yep, downloaded it. It's all good.

Really good album. I love it!

Listened to the whole album before bed, went to work, came home, and was immediately compelled to give it another listen.

Well crafted, beautiful, and sincere. Really well done, Fidelis!

noah111

Still Alive
Gotta say, it felt good clicking on the GAF GOLD download link. Can't wait to give it a listen!! (still DLing)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man. This is really good. Amazing work man. Amazing. I think I will have to a buy a physical.

Damn I want a vinyl with that artwork son.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Man. This is really good. Amazing work man. Amazing. I think I will have to a buy a physical.

Damn I want a vinyl with that artwork son.

Hah, you're telling me! I've been looking into getting it pressed, but before I blew a chunk of change to get 500 or so done (has to be done in bulk), I figured I'd play a bit and see if I can get a label or representation to fork the money themselves.

Vinyl is an absolute must for me too, man. I may just start a kickstarter in a month or so once I play out more.

noah111

Still Alive
Dude. DUDE. Only mid way through, but i'm absolutely loving this. I never looked at myself as someone who likes oldies type western guitar, but man this is pretty beautiful.

Hope you get big man. This is, quite simply, LEGIT. When it goes up on iTunes i'll definitely be buying to support.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pretty good. You remind me of a friend of mine, that is, if he had a better mind for song structure. I'm looking to do home production whenever I can finish getting together the equipment for it so this kind of stuff always interests me.

noah111

Still Alive
Love the female voice in "I'm Fine Without You", and the lyrics are great all around.
TIMBERWOLF! lol

Exeunt

After seeing your avatar, I did a double&#8209;check of your thread history and confirmed that you are indeed the member who wrote and filmed his own film a while back! You certainly seem to be a motivated and creative individual, which I definitely respect.

As for your actual release, I just downloaded it and I'm listening to the first couple of tracks. While it's a pretty decent departure from what I listen to, I have to say I'm definitely going to continue listening. The melody in the background of Old Soul sounded really nice (does it recur in the album? I thought I heard it again in So It Seems...), and your voice sounds really good to my untrained ear! It vaguely like some other male singer I've heard on the radio at some point, but unfortunately I don't know who... From a writing standpoint, I like the little bits of humour here and there (In the Background has a really good example about two&#8209;thirds of the way through that I don't want to spoil). The music sounds really organic and "full" if that makes sense, but the initial volume sounded a tad loud when I first listened and the vocals at the beginning of Into the Woods sounded a little quiet compared to the music/ambience. Maybe others would disagree, or that could be what you're going for, so feel free to disregard this comment.

I'm only about halfway through right now, but good job! If I were to throw out a random idea to maybe reflect upon in future releases, it would be a female supporting vocalist in some of your harmonies (I think that's the term... whenever you have multiple voices at once) to cover some of the "higher" ranges that your naturally deeper voice doesn't touch. Again, this is only a personal suggestion that appeals to my ideals. I'm going to listen to the whole album for sure!

Okay, now that I've finished the album this is what I have to add:

After a complete listening, I think that Winchester, In the Background, and I'm Fine Without You were the three standouts. Others may disagree, but that's my personal preference.

On the other hand, my least favourite track (not that it was bad by any means) was Into the Woods; I just didn't think it went anywhere (no "climax" in non-musical terms) musically and didn't think it was as strong as the rest of the album. .However, I found Into the Woods, Night II much better since it seemed to support the track that came before it. On the note of support, I also really like how I'm Fine Without You tied back to My Life in a Cave; it's possible you have more links throughout the album that I missed, but that's what I picked up on the first time through.

The very end of I'm Fine Without You highlights exactly what I was thinking from the female vocalist comment. I'd love to hear more of that on future albums if you make any. The chorus reminded me of something I've heard before, but I have no idea what it is at the moment (if I ever really knew).

To close, I'll echo the sentiment that Winchester was a really strong track&#8212;my only criticisms would be that I think the volume of the instruments could go down when your vocals enter, and there's one point when I thought the different audio layers got a little confusing (but maybe that's what you were going for). That track in particular made me wonder what an extended instrumental track from you would sound like. Anyway, great work, and I hope that my critique doesn't seem to invasive, especially given my lack of a musical background&#8212;I just figure that as an artist, you might appreciate the feedback even if you don't personally think it relevant at the end of the day. Keep up the good work!

Dead Man

It's not my style of music, but I have recommended to a few of my friends who will probably love it. Your production is great too, thanks for sharing!!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
gud stuff, gud stuff... can I do a remix?

Abso-freaking-lutely

Love the female voice in "I'm Fine Without You", and the lyrics are great all around.
TIMBERWOLF! lol

Maaay be my favorite part on the album . .

After seeing your avatar, I did a double&#8209;check of your thread history and confirmed that you are indeed the member who wrote and filmed his own film a while back! You certainly seem to be a motivated and creative individual, which I definitely respect.

As for your actual release, I just downloaded it and I'm listening to the first couple of tracks. While it's a pretty decent departure from what I listen to, I have to say I'm definitely going to continue listening. The melody in the background of Old Soul sounded really nice (does it recur in the album? I thought I heard it again in So It Seems...), and your voice sounds really good to my untrained ear! It vaguely like some other male singer I've heard on the radio at some point, but unfortunately I don't know who... From a writing standpoint, I like the little bits of humour here and there (In the Background has a really good example about two&#8209;thirds of the way through that I don't want to spoil). The music sounds really organic and "full" if that makes sense, but the initial volume sounded a tad loud when I first listened and the vocals at the beginning of Into the Woods sounded a little quiet compared to the music/ambience. Maybe others would disagree, or that could be what you're going for, so feel free to disregard this comment.

I'm only about halfway through right now, but good job! If I were to throw out a random idea to maybe reflect upon in future releases, it would be a female supporting vocalist in some of your harmonies (I think that's the term... whenever you have multiple voices at once) to cover some of the "higher" ranges that your naturally deeper voice doesn't touch. Again, this is only a personal suggestion that appeals to my ideals. I'm going to listen to the whole album for sure!

Okay, now that I've finished the album this is what I have to add:

After a complete listening, I think that Winchester, In the Background, and I'm Fine Without You were the three standouts. Others may disagree, but that's my personal preference.

On the other hand, my least favourite track (not that it was bad by any means) was Into the Woods; I just didn't think it went anywhere (no "climax" in non-musical terms) musically and didn't think it was as strong as the rest of the album. .However, I found Into the Woods, Night II much better since it seemed to support the track that came before it. On the note of support, I also really like how I'm Fine Without You tied back to My Life in a Cave; it's possible you have more links throughout the album that I missed, but that's what I picked up on the first time through.

The very end of I'm Fine Without You highlights exactly what I was thinking from the female vocalist comment. I'd love to hear more of that on future albums if you make any. The chorus reminded me of something I've heard before, but I have no idea what it is at the moment (if I ever really knew).

To close, I'll echo the sentiment that Winchester was a really strong track—my only criticisms would be that I think the volume of the instruments could go down when your vocals enter, and there's one point when I thought the different audio layers got a little confusing (but maybe that's what you were going for). That track in particular made me wonder what an extended instrumental track from you would sound like. Anyway, great work, and I hope that my critique doesn't seem to invasive, especially given my lack of a musical background—I just figure that as an artist, you might appreciate the feedback even if you don't personally think it relevant at the end of the day. Keep up the good work!

Damn, man, thanks for the write up. I really love criticism and the fact that someone else is a passionate enough to write down all their thoughts like that! It's really interesting to see other peoples standouts, some pick Into The Woods, most love In The Background, I pick parts here and there . . like the beginning of Winchester. Took me a good couple days to nail that down with a metronome, and way too many blisters on my fingers, but now I can do it fluently, so it's a self accomplishment.

I absolutely appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Got a few more friends to check out your stuff. Everyone I've introduced your work to loved it. Hope you kill it next week!

I just remembered I know some guy interning at some music company in la. I have no clue what he does (could sweep floors for all I know) but I think he does more booth type stuff. I'll throw this his way. Who knows, something could happen.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I just remembered I know some guy interning at some music company in la. I have no clue what he does (could sweep floors for all I know) but I think he does more booth type stuff. I'll throw this his way. Who knows, something could happen.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Who knows, right?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
!Update 2/15/12

I did a recent podcast interview with the folks of Nerd Mentality if anyone is interested. Personally, I annoy the crap out of myself, but people seem to dig it. It's in the main post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom