• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 13 Reasons I’d Still Pick Nintendo’s Wii U Over the PS4 and Xbox One

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What if you're one of the few dozen people that likes to play games like COD, Battlefield, Assasins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, EA sports titles, etc ?
Buy a PS4 as a second console? That's what I will do, once there is a worthwhile FIFA game, or a killer app I want/need/can't miss.

ItIsOkBro

The first reason I'd pick a Wii U is because it has the first- and second-party games I most want to play now.

Also, it doesn't need other games, they're still making games for it, it has this one fighting game, it'll have games in the future, it has games without a TV, it has games without a TV, it can play the games it has, it has games from the past, and all it has are games.

I'd agree with all those if it was arguing the reason ps4/xb1/pc owners should still look at wiiu as a valid complementary console.

Fallout 4 isn't out yet. Doom 4 isn't out yet. Other semi-obscure series with long awaited fourth installment sure to be released on PS4/XB1 isn't out yet.

I like how he writes off the PS4/Xbox One remasters as "recycling bin material" and then lists Wind Waker HD as one of the Wii U's standouts.

Last edited by DAREALGUMMY; Today at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added the entire article so people can see his reasoning's behind his list.

Good, giving people more chance to read the piece before posting knee-jerkingly.

#2 made me laugh a bit. What the hell does #9 mean? And #11 is also totally laughable. Yes, how dare the other systems be multi-function devices!

It means that the Wii U is significantly more power-efficient than its competitors, both current- and last gen. It even draws less power than the original Wii, yet is significantly more powerful.

xT2SqRQ.jpg

CentroXer

Banned
You're not taking into consideration the fact that a one year head start doesn't mean jack since it's Nintendo's first foray into HD development

so what has that to do with things? 1 year is a lot of time to produce games. If PS4 had the same amount of time on the market it would had some major games out by now.

Good, giving people more chance to read the piece before posting knee-jerkingly.

It means that the Wii U is significantly more power-efficient than its competitors, both current- and last gen. It even draws less power than the original Wii, yet is significantly more powerful.

xT2SqRQ.jpg

Is this really true for Xb1 and PS4 vs PS3 and 360?

I remember PS3's being really notorious for energy consumption

Yeah I saw that early on and decided to post it all.
I'd agree with all those if it was arguing the reason ps4/xb1/pc owners should still look at wiiu as a valid complementary console.

He does though.
You could buy them all, of course, but that’s a hardcore move and financially impractical for most. You could pick two, and even if you’re dead set on owning gaming with a PC, PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, there’s a powerful argument here for the Wii U as a must-have secondary system, given the caliber of its exclusive content.

JayEH

Pretty weak list to be honest. I think it's a great time to own the console but I'd still buy another console over if I just wanted one.

Raist

Banned
Heh.

But you could also argue the rest of 2014’s triple-A darlings are basically recycling bin material: Diablo III, Grand Theft Auto V, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, The Last of Us and Halo: The Master Chief Collection look tremendous in their new digs, but they’re still remakes of games we already played, however compellingly wrinkled.

[...]

Thus on Wii U, you now have a small library of standouts, like: Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, LEGO City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, Pushmo World, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and The Wonderful 101. It’s an enviable exclusive lineup by any measure.

Nimby

Banned
Pros:

- Better lineup of games than PS4/Xbone
- Backwards compatible with Wii
- Free online play

Cons:

- Region locking
- Lack of third party titles (which I don't care about)

Better list. Better reasons to get a Wii U. I know it was enough to convince me.

What a horrible list.

But these are especially ridiculous:

2. Nintendo doesn’t need third parties the way Microsoft and Sony do

3. Nintendo just opened a massive new game development center in Kyoto[/QUOTE]

8. It’s powerful enough…

9. …while not at all power-hungry

11. It’s an unabashed games console, not a media player

What the hell, haha.

qko

3. Nintendo just opened a massive new game development center in Kyoto

I wonder what that has to do with buying a Wii U.

Did you own a Wii when Nintendo announced the 3DS? I'm exaggerating when I say there were only 3 Nintendo games for the Wii after the 3DS announcement but I'm sure I'm not too far off.

Jeez louise, some of those "reasons."

2. Nintendo doesn’t need third parties the way Microsoft and Sony do

Evidently, just look at how well the console is selling without any other support.

Well he actually does have a point. No way would PS4 sell even as good as the Wii U has without 3rd party games.

I thought he was just going to list 13 different exclusive games

lyrick

Exclusives, sure. But I would become clinically depressed (in a gaming sense) if a Wii-U was the only gaming device in my home. It's missing out on nearly every substantial release.

What qualifies as a "substantial release"?

Hindl

That list is pretty crappy, but I agree. Nintendo released its two big install base drivers this year, and they're both fantastic. They also released plenty of other amazing games (I'll never forget you Tropical Freeze) and there's the backlog from last year. Xbox and PS4 are still coming in to their own, and the lineup for the PS4 this year just isn't that good. Xbox is a little better but still, the heavy hitters aren't there. So yeah, the Wii U is still the console to get. A year from now, this will be a different conversation. The PS4 is really gonna come in to its own next year and the Xbox has some stuff lined up too. But the Wii U also has a killer 2015. Next year, the answer will probably be you can't go wrong, but for now it's still the Wii U for me

ironcreed

Banned
I love my Xbox One and PS4 for providing me with a next-gen leap and all of the big third party stuff. But the Wii U stands out more as the friendly old console where exclusives still matter the most and has none of the bullshit attached to it, like subscriptions. It is also the most unique of the 3, despite not being as powerful. No way will I be without one and I have not felt that way about a Nintendo console since the N64. It is an amazing little system.

Draerf

Why are there so many Wii U pity articles? There seems to be one that comes out everyday, like these journalists are on a bandwagon. Who started this trend?

Top Bottom