• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 13 Reasons I’d Still Pick Nintendo’s Wii U Over the PS4 and Xbox One

It means that the Wii U is significantly more power-efficient than its competitors, both current- and last gen. It even draws less power than the original Wii, yet is significantly more powerful.
I understand what it means from a technical perspective. I mean, what the hell does that mean from a consumer perspective? That's one of his TOP thirteen reasons to pick a console over another?

geordiemp

Good, giving people more chance to read the piece before posting knee-jerkingly.

It means that the Wii U is significantly more power-efficient than its competitors, both current- and last gen. It even draws less power than the original Wii, yet is significantly more powerful.

xT2SqRQ.jpg

Yay, ill make sure I plug my console into solar panels to be more energy efficient and store my farts as they are high calorific value.

WiiU saves the planet confirmed...

To me this is one of the reasons the WiiU has failed commercially, no power. But hey what do I know

Where is Eric Cartman to sort out these hippies.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
You'd think the writer would know better than to say #2, considering neither exclusives nor multiplatform games stop the Wii U from selling like fucking shit.

While it is funny to see power consumption touted as much, it was actually a big consideration of it's initial design because it's a selling point for soccer mums.

2. Nintendo doesn’t need third parties the way Microsoft and Sony do

Evidently, just look at how well the console is selling without any other support.

The statement is still correct though, as there is no way MS or Sony would be able to support their consoles with 1st party only, while the WiiU sure as hell isn't as popular as the PS4 but is still able to carve a niche and make a profit.

The 64 million dollar question is for how long this will remain a factor in the future.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
1. It currently has the best library of the 3, hands down.

2. It's by far the best value. I think they're out of stock now, but I got a refurb from Nintendo for like $200. And that included Nintendoland. That deal makes the other consoles look like a fucking scam.

The article reaches at points but its main point was on point. Wii U is easily the best value right now (between the 3 consoles, that is).

It costs way less to run the console. I think the biggest thing he left off was free online for life though. Doesn't matter to everyone, but y'know. It's actually impressive.
Perfect.
Someone crunch the numbers on how much that comes out to be to run each system then. How much are we saving?

Scoops

Banned
Here's the real list:

1. Super Smash Bros. WiiU
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
5. The Wonderful 101
6. Pikmin 3
7. The Wind Waker HD
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. ZombiiU
10. Dat 2015 lineup
11. Backward Compatible with Wii games
12. Off-tv play
13. Free online

I know I'm missing several exclusives (Lego Undercover, Hyrule Warriors, MH3U, NSMBU, Captain Toad out next week in NA, a couple of indies) and some definitive versions of multi plats so you get my point...

This article reads like Nintendo fanboy bullet points.

The only reasons I can see holding any ground is the exclusives and off-tv play. A lot people buy the big third party games. In 2015, will the Wii U get Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V PP, Battlefield, next Cod, all of the sports games? Simply stating that Nintendo doesn't need third party does not erase the fact that Nintendo doesn't have suitable replacement for these games.

ironcreed

Banned
Why are there so many Wii U pity articles? There seems to be one that comes out everyday, like these journalists are on a bandwagon. Who started this trend?

Perhaps it has something to do with it turning out to be a fantastic and affordable system with a killer library that is still growing. Not to mention perks like no subscription for online and backwards compatibility.

phanphare

Banned
You'd think the writer would know better than to say #2, considering neither exclusives nor multiplatform games stop the Wii U from selling like fucking shit.

but again (as dumb as that point is) the PS4 and X1 need 3rd party games much more than the Wii U. imagine what the PS4's year would be like if the only games that came out were first party games.

pastrami

Good god what fanboy dribble.

I mean, look at this: "the Wii U still has the most non-indie sub-$60 games today"

What in the fuck. What. In. The. Fuck.

Seventy70

Why are there so many Wii U pity articles? There seems to be one that comes out everyday, like these journalists are on a bandwagon. Who started this trend?
Hipsters are probably starting to pick it up.
Not saying that there aren't real reasons to buy a Wii U, but I'm sure a lot of these articles are just trying to be different and unique.

Zia

I'm tired of these fanboys pushing their pro-Nintendo agenda on Us once every few days. We get it, you're upset about NPDs and want Us to validate your alternative lifestyle. Call me when you can play all of the amazing Sony exclusives on your underpowered baby box.

Scoops

Banned

The system is not selling in proportion to the quality of its software compared to rivals.

while i don't disagree with the notion that the Wii U is a better purchase at the moment, that writer really, REALLY wanted to get all the way up to 13 reasons.

qko

I understand what it means from a technical perspective. I mean, what the hell does that mean from a consumer perspective. That's one of his TOP thirteen reasons to pick a console over another?

Hippies get all up in arms over carbon footprint and what not.

Parents want to spend less money on electric bills.

Some people many stretch to say it costs more in electric bills to own the other systems in the long run if you are gaming the same amount of time.

lyrick

They spent the Wii U's first year saying it was a piece of shit and to wait for the other consoles.

Then they saw the first year of the other consoles and saw how completely wrong they were.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, it's kind of true. Imagine how badly the PS4 and Xbone (or any console for that matter) would perform without third party support. At least Nintendo is somewhat capable of sustaining the platform by themselves.

(Bold) is pretty much the reason why I laughed at it. Every console needs solid third party support these days.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm tired of these fanboys pushing their pro-Nintendo agenda on Us once every few days. We get it, you're upset about NPDs and want Us to validate your alternative lifestyle. Call me when you can play all of the amazing Sony exclusives on your underpowered baby box.

LOL

the news was more fun when they found reasons to bash the console

now they are just being silly because they ran out of new ways to bash it

Wii U is Awesome /boring

I blame Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft, and EA for the WiiU comeback - they failed to deliver a knockout

Bayo2 still my GOTY!
MK8 close second

GTA5 is amazing too but loved Bayo2 more

Someone crunch the numbers on how much that comes out to be to run each system then. How much are we saving?
Checked it out, 12 cents per kWh is the average price for the US. So based on that chart that was posted: a Wii U costs $4.44 a year, while a PS4 is about $22* and an Xbone is about $28+.

Hindl

Were you around last year? Same thing, tons of articles telling people to pick up Wii U over the new ones. I think it's probably because these writers are older people with kids, and are aiming this at parents looking for what to pick up for their kids. Whatever your opinion on Wii U vs PS4/XBO, there's no denying it has the best couch multiplayer. Add in that MS and Sony haven't launched their big 1st party titles yet, and I can see why a writer would say this to the casual crowd

Lulz

Raist

Banned
The "but look at how little power it's using! Soccer moms do care!" argument is so stupid, it boggles the mind.

Have you guys ever looked up the average power consumption for common household items? I hope the soccer moms don't, because they'd have a heart attack.

Is this really true for Xb1 and PS4 vs PS3 and 360?

I remember PS3's being really notorious for energy consumption

Haven't got the foggiest to be honest, but that graph comes from the same source as referenced by the article. I suppose Sony managed to cut the Cell down quite a bit more than Microsoft did Xenon. It'd certainly be interesting to see figures for the launch-model Cell.

Hugstable

Banned

Is this for real?

Hindl

Call me when you can play them on the PS4

Reading this article gave me second hand embarassment.....the WiiU will have the worst library out of the three simply due to the lack of third parties.

MercuryLS

Banned
Which GAF Nintendo fanboy wrote that? Wii U is great, but for most people looking to buy one console this gen, it ain't the Wii U. It's a great secondary console for sure and Nintendo's own games are ace.

Salex_

Here's the real list:

[...]
I know I'm missing several exclusives (Lego Undercover, Hyrule Warriors, MH3U, NSMBU, Captain Toad out next week in NA, a couple of indies) and some definitive versions of multi plats so you get my point...
I'm surprised by the amount of times I've seen Lego and a musou game in lists. Are people doing this because they're Wii U exclusives?
Wat

When did these come out?! I need something to put in my PS4.

GG Xrd comes out in 3 weeks.

As someone with a pretty decent PC, I'd have to agree with him.

If I didn't have a nice PC, I'd completely disagree with him and be laughing alongside you.

That changes the situation for you, not the vast majority of people who only have one gaming machine. Most people buy one machine and that machine needs 3rd party support

My next major purchase is going to be a WiiU, hopefully by next Monday infact, and this list is stupid enough to almost put me off.

I'm buying it because it's the only way to play the latest Nintendo games, and even then, I'm not willing to spend as much on it as I did on my second 3DS. That's it.

In every other respect the PS4, XO, PC, and frankly even PS3 and 360 piss over it from a great height.

Hell, I already have more games for my PS4 than I want for the WiiU, even counting all the upcoming titles.

Buying Nintendo hardware is just the 'Nintendo tax' you have to pay if you want to be able to play their games. They have no benefit beyond that.

But I'll be fucked if I'm not willing to pay it to play more Mario Kart.

Which GAF Nintendo fanboy wrote that? Wii U is great, but for most people looking to buy one console this gen, it ain't the Wii U. It's a great secondary console for sure and Nintendo's own games are ace.

This.

1) Price Drop
2) Zelda

For me, those are the only 2 reasons that I'll need to buy a Wii U. Until then, no sale

jimi_dini

I understand what it means from a technical perspective. I mean, what the hell does that mean from a consumer perspective? That's one of his TOP thirteen reasons to pick a console over another?

Electricity costs money, doesn't it?

Playing on Wii U for 5 hours costs the same as playing on PS4 for 1 hour.

I'm surprised by the amount of times I've seen Lego and a musou game in lists. Are people doing this because they're Wii U exclusives?

No, people are doing this because those 2 games are actually awesome. Hyrule Warriors is addictive like crack. The amount of content is literally insane.

Top Bottom