• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Find Out If Trump Would Let You Immigrate To America

I find it beyond absurd that winning a medal at the Olympics in the past eight years is worth more than a doctorate in Stem or willing to invest over 1.8 million dollars in industry.

TehOh

What skills does Trump require?

A nobel peace prize.
An olympic medal.
Investing over a 1.3 million into commercial business.

But yet I can get into Germany with my stem bachelors degree and be happy. Supply/Demand sure, but this is too stringent.

Fair point. I guess I should say that such a system is not atypical, but this version of it is too severe.

I'm an American. I'd get a 26 right now, but I'm currently in the process of getting my Masters and in a few years I'd qualify for the best age bracket, so I'd be able to get in by that point

Still these requirements are ridiculous

Being a software engineer gets me in.

Doesn't Canada use a merit based system? I'm curious how it compares to this. I assume it's way better thought out.

Wow. 25. I have a bachelor degree, what I'd call excellent English, and no, I don't have a job that makes over 75,000 a year. 95% of anyone in the midwest doesn't.

Fuck the orange turd.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I'm Canadian, but I qualify. Nice. All you Americans that don't qualify get out and make room please.

gabbo

do i get to leave now? someone take me in. canada please.
This Trump system is a less strict version of our own. It's not a big deal that our immigration system is built that way to most Canadians, since there are other ways to get in not based on that system, but there are fewer allowed in per year

The job offer one is nonsense because it takes no account of the variability in regional salaries. Like even some medical professionals I interact with at work make fewer than $78k a year because they're in rural locations.

Also I always heard it was harder for men to immigrate but that doesn't seem to be demonstrated on the survey.

Edit:

And I don't understand the English ability question. It has fluent above excellent. I'm fluent, and definitely above average, but I wouldn't consider myself 'excellent'.

JCG

I am not opposed to the concept of preferring "skilled" immigrants, but a proposed system like this isn't nearly nuanced enough about what does or doesn't qualify as "skilled". It's using a very broad brush.

Just like how I can certainly understand STEM-related individuals being highly desirable, but that shouldn't mean that getting a master's or doctorate in a very different field lacks enough value to be considered as a "skill" here.

Ishan

The job offer one is nonsense because it takes no account of the variability of regional salaries. Like even some medical professionals I interact with at work make fewer than $78k a year because they're in rural locations.

Also I always heard it was harder for men to immigrate but that doesn't seem to be demonstrated on the survey.

The actual bill proposed does. its 150 200 and 300 percent of state median income. So the actual values for ppl in stem in cali are not

its

The article uses national median to make a simpler quiz.

The english requirement makes use of percentiles in something like toefl. To get a 6 you need to be in the 6th or 7th decile that means basically better than 50% of the people taking the test. If you want fluent you have to be in the top decile (top 10%). I remember taking that test most f1 students have to pass a minimum and im sure many will easily cross the 6th decile mark with many hitting higher deciles. But it is still a percentage system not a raw skill system. So all said and done you have to be top 10% of english ppl taking the test to get the 12.

Damn, those are some crazy and selfish standards to live up to. It's even worse than I though. If you aren't rich, or don't have something like a Nobel Prize, than you're not qualified.

Without a job offer (or with a too low-wage offer) I'd get 27 from this thing, assuming "good" English ability. Any job offer that gives points would push me over the edge.

Just gotta get that offer and then I can come #maga
and vote for a democrat

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's interesting seeing how this is covered here in Canada compared to the US, since Canada has a points based system for immigration and it's treated as "normal".

I remember some site ages ago doing the same type of informal test, but to see if Canadians would qualify to become Canadian under the immigration rules.

Born in Virginia, only scored 19.

Out of curiosity, I tried scoring my mother on this poll, who has multiple Masters degrees and a good salary. She got 28.

Top Bottom