• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Find Out If Trump Would Let You Immigrate To America

A high paying job offer can just barely get me in at 30 points gained. When I'm a bit older I'd get more points for that. Still, why do that when I live in Europe and am an EU citi-wait, Brexit you say? Fuck. (Germany please give me jerb)

Ishan

I'd say that's partially true, and I'd say that some are making decent bucks. I do see a lot of posts from people who are clearly IT guys or web developers. But young PHDs making over $155,000 a year are simply numerically rare. I don't see many GAF posts that give me an impression there's a disproportionate amount of people that fit that category here. When we get a flood of threads about what wine goes best with caviar or what options to get on luxury cars and less about $30 Italian meals I'll change my assessment.

that 155k is based on location. Highest payed would be in nyc and cali where the requirement to the highest level is 180k.

What do junior web developer jobs pay in the US? They pay you a lot apparently compared to Europe even though you'd be some newbie with very little experience.

boingball

23, I could make it if I were in the right age group.
Though 15 points for an olympic medal which is more than you can score via education? (On the other hand I am surprised to see education at all in there since Republicans think that education is harmful to society).

It blows my mind that you basically have to be an scientist with a master's degree under 35, filthy rich or a Nobel prize/top athlete to pass this. Insane.

Hopeford

I mean, America didn't let my family come before Trump anyway, so this isn't shocking me haha. (We ended up going to Canada, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out)

If it was trump himself doing the approval i imagine he would just use a pantone chart.

Edit.

Did test. 24 points lol.

Basically you gotta be young and rich haha. So surprising.

jimmypython

78k? WTF.

I'm 30 btw. I am in Canada. So I would come if there is a better job and I don't give a shit about green card lol

Ishan

I hope ppl are using state median income *1.5 / 2 /3 while doing the income thing.

The limits are
180k if youre in ny or cali.

Of course its lower than the stated if you live in a state with lower income.

I guess I was expecting crazier requirements. These are high, but not really unfair.

I'd suggest the same to people considering moving to NYC or San Francisco, lol.

When was the last time you dusted off that nobel prize or Olympic medal? The requirements are ludicrous and having such ridiculous ones be a huge benefactor makes it super easy to be gated out unless you're both young and rich.

Ishan

I guess I was expecting crazier requirements. These are high, but not really unfair.

I'd suggest the same to people considering moving to NYC or San Francisco, lol.

again .... the article simplies it and uses national averages . the actual bill uses state median incomes so the limts in cali and nyc are higher
and 180k (basically 1.5,2,3 times median income are the income brackets)

Ishan

When was the last time you dusted off that nobel prize or Olympic medal? The requirements are ludicrous and having such ridiculous ones be a huge benefactor makes it super easy to be gated out unless you're both young and rich.

refer above . its worse in those places.

Pau

26. Might be able to make it after getting my masters. Alternatively, I think I meet the requirements for Canada's point system.

I scored a 48. Each of my parents would have scored a 7. I can't overstate how angry this bill--and its hateful, privileged supporters--makes me.

It's good to know that just by speaking English I'm already almost halfway to being as meritorious as a Nobel Prize winner.

Trump doesnt even qualify by his own standards

ClcXT0N.png

He'd barely get by because he has a bachelor's and he has loads of Russian rubles to invest here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
if only I had come to America when I was younger. Or stayed in college longer (they must love having people with Student Loan debt).

JKRMA

Banned
Lol, got 20, I selected no job offer and did not translate my current job to a job offer. I wtfed at Nobel prize or Olympic gold medalist! For Trump, might as well as ask "what carat gold is your pussy?" So he knows if it's work to grab in America or not.

Saganator

I officially offer all of GAF a job with a salary of at least $160,000.

None of you will get the job. It does not, strictly speaking, exist outside the heady bounds of my imagination.

But I am offering.

Huh. This got me thinking. What if one were to set up a job offer mill company, people pay a couple hundred bucks and they're sent a nice job offer for whatever amount they need it to be to qualify.

Yeah, it's pretty insane. I imagine only 10% would.

And that's just to qualify to apply to immigrate. As USCIS has basically absolute discretion on whether to approve you or not, it'd be less than that 10% of people who actually get approved to immigrate.

i.e. all those brown people applying would get rejected even if they were a dual Nobel prize and olympic medal holder.

necrosis

i have a degree, am fluent in english, and am 26 (which puts me in this test's optimal age bracket). this is insane

Top Bottom