• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Reggie addresses Switch concerns. (Joy con / scratching)

Madouu

If it's widely reported by so many people then that probably means the issue exists and has a non neligible chance of affecting any owner. No need to go through so many hoops and loops to try and prove it's unique to a few users.

I agree that there are a lot of people that try to exaggerate these issues and even more that are out for blood during these console war periods but to focus the discussion on that is really not constructive and frankly insulting for the people that do have these issues.

Reggie's answer was good although not completely satisfying, I hope we get to the bottom of this very soon.

krumble

Nintendo is one of Foxconn's biggest customers so most likely they're responsible for that as well.

Been looking at my screen EVERYDAY the last week to see if ANY scratches or even wear marks from pulling it in and out of the dock multiple times a day - nothing so far

And inspecting my dock with a bright torch just now the 2 rubber pads inside at the bottom that the switch touches has dust/use on it so these rubber pads are definitely cushioning my screen.

I've cleaned them now and will regularly do that going forward (just wiping off dirt with my finger should be enough)

The guide rails though ONLY line up on the bezel with space to spare to the screen, putting the switch in standing in front of it and placing it in the dock won't cause a scratch on the actual proper screen

If people were rough, I could see it scraping the bezel at best (even with a warped dock)

I don't think it's acceptable that the bezel gets scratched and hope that Nintendo come up with some ideas to minimise scratches (aside from screen protectors)

Aside from iPads I've religiously had screen protectors for all mobile tech from the DS days onwards - and thank the lord for my tempered glass iPhone 6 protector that is currently holding together a very smashed screen underneath that's worked pretty perfectly as far as touch is concerned

They should include a screen protector in the box at the very least and send them out to ALL Switch owners going forward

I'm fairly positive the ones with the curved dock are a vocal minority (myself included).

Dosent discout the issue though. Much like all issues start off with people not noticing.

I mean, here you have a small subset barely a week into the launch. What's that going to look like in a year?

First thing I noticed about my dock is that it is curved. I've only used it about twice, one reason being the screen scratching issue, and the other being Zelda's frame rate is just so much better in portable.

Both issues that need to be fixed, btw.

Alebrije

reading this thread now..

PiFBs7l_sftvixzD-0_lzb-TK3Eeu7GTi0nwZCKya6PObqzc7lT8LjDgWkL7owWc2GYu-uzv=w500-h288-nc

tci

If it's widely reported by so many people then that probably means the issue exists and has a non neligible chance of affecting any owner. No need to go through so many hoops and loops to try and prove it's unique to a few users.

I agree that there are a lot of people that try to exaggerate these issues and even more that are out for blood during these console war periods but to focus the discussion on that is really not constructive and frankly insulting for the people that do have these issues.

Reggie's answer was good although not completely satisfying, I hope we get to the bottom of this very soon.
It is weird how some jump on so fast with accusations etc. Let's see what their findings will be. Too early to tell if it is product quality, production issues or user error. Let's see if media can actually properly follow up on it.

Jimrpg

It seems like the box wasn't robust enough to be stacked ten deep and shipped. So the dock got bent and apparently bad enough to scratch the screen.

I think there is a little bit of statistical noise here though. Some people have posted pictures of really badly scratched systems saying they don't know how it happened and those accounts have been folded into this issue.

Like this?

17097627_10154954489168700_9032298043616678415_o.jpg

renzolama

I believe these "problems" are being very isolated and blown out of proportion on the press and forums.

Personally I think this is a really shitty, condescending response, especially the fact that you felt it necessary to include "" around problems as though they're imaginary. Read the threads here on GAF to see how many people in a small sample set are really experiencing some of these issues. Are they a small percentage of overall customers? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that the issues they're experiencing should be insultingly dismissed. Furthermore, those people you're mocking with the quotation marks are the ones who push companies to increase their QA and customer service efforts which leads directly to you being more likely to purchase an item without defects or have your issues acknowledged and resolved quickly in the future. They're putting in effort that benefits all consumers, so have some minimum respect and appreciation for that fact even if you believe (probably correctly) that some of the people involved on the peripheral are there just to complain and bandwagon.

Porkepik

How do you impulse buy $300+?
I buy it and go work a day of overtime to cover the cost.
300$ impulse buy is not that great of a decision when you are a working well paid person. A lot of people impulse buy clothes more expensive than that much more often or pay restaurants tabs more than that. Console launches happen every 3-4 years.
However I can understand that for students, underpaid working people its not a sound decision. It all depends your financial situation

As someone who might be having some screen scratching going on but has had zero issues with the Joycons, it seems to be very random.

There's a good chance they all passed lot check and only encountered these reports in the wild.

Yeah I have no Joycon issues with mine,. I put a crappy screen protector on before I even turned it on thankfully because one time in the dock left a wide scratch on both lower edges of the screen protector

Top Bottom