• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time releases "The 50 Most Influential Gadgets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to the introduction of the Xboxlive ecosystem, the Xbox is more influential than the Sony Playstation. There, I said it.

no not even close

I'm serious. I really think you see more of the Xbox in what today's consoles are trying to do than you do with the Playstation.

Sure, the Playstation had a better library and was much more successful, but the influence of the Xbox is clearly seen among modern consoles with their emphasis on an online ecosystem and multiplayer gameplay.

FyreWulff

I'd say Xbox was less about online infrastructure since the Japanese had been there for a while already, but Xbox certainly introduced the idea of a continually updating and refreshed console meta-OS. The 360 basically relaunched 3 times due to Microsoft updating it so much.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Motion control was introduced to every phone afterwards and is standard for Playstation and the Steam controller. Only Xbox remains the lone holdout of not having motion standard.

Which had little to do with the technology Nintendo implemented.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
no not even close

Thanks to the introduction of the Xboxlive ecosystem, the Xbox is more influential than the Sony Playstation. There, I said it.

I wouldnt say one is grossly more than the other, but both have had a clearly defining influence. Playstation with the CD format and Xbox Live pretty much dragging Nintendo and Sony kicking and screaming into acceptable online. I'd say the 360 influenced far more than the OG Xbox.

Oh, I've seen the Magic Wand before...in a TV commercial. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Magic Wand, make my monster GROW!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wouldnt say one is grossly more than the other, but both have had a clearly defining influence. Playstation with the CD format and Xbox Live pretty much dragging Nintendo and Sony kicking and screaming into acceptable online. I'd say the 360 influenced far more than the OG Xbox.

OG Xbox probably kickstarted broadband more than any other single brand in the US.

FyreWulff

Which had little to do with the technology Nintendo implemented.

? It was directly after Nintendo led the way. Until the Wii phones had basic tilt sensors at best. Nintendo invested money in miniaturization and everyone benefitted from it, and even more when they got the enhanced stuff in with the Motion Plus, which wasn't in the original Wiimote because the hardware to do it was bigger than the controller at the time it released, in their own words. It's why phones can even do VR experiences as it is.

The iPhone didn't get motion parity with the Wii Motionplus until 2010. It's now standard all the way down to 20$ android phones. And the driver for that was gaming.

FyreWulff

OG Xbox probably kickstarted broadband more than any other single brand in the US.

I remember playing Halo 2 and there was a bunch of ISPs that were officially branded and partnered with Microsoft for Live for the game in some way. Microsoft was pushing it HARD. Like Cox Cable ran ads here saying "Play Halo 2 on Xbox Live from Microsoft! We'll help you set it up and everything!" and the commercial showed Halo 2 and MechAssault.

UrokeJoe

Xbox did indeed bring the online experience(tried and tested earlier, but not defined like live) as well as the HDD to the console.

dity

Because Google put a lot of R&D into that will eventually spill over else where. Do you really believe the future of VR will be wearing clunky helmets in your living room with sensors?
Glass was relatively obscure in 2011-2012 until 2013, while Rift burst into the public sphere in 2012. People are attributing credit to Glass that needn't be there.

Google Glass was influential?

Google Glass is so influential at #50 that it accomplished nothing

The hell is Google Glass on there?

It taught us all that society isn't ready for people having cameras on their face that can potentially record anyone at any time. Trying to foist tech for tech's sake has limits. And somethings just aren't as socially acceptable even if people can't generally articulate why.

i-DrhFChT-2100x20000.jpg

I'd argue that the panels should say "This is what you think you look like" / "This is what it looks like to everyone else"

jstripes

Banned
How do they decide if its the Oculus Rift not the HTC Vive?

Oculus' successful crowdfunding campaign dragged popular interest in VR out of a 20 year slumber.

Without the Rift, there would be no Vive. That's what "influential" means. This isn't a list of the "best" gadgets, it's one about the gadgets that were the most disruptive.

That's why Google Glass and Segway are on there, despite being "failures". They didn't really go anywhere themselves, but they sure got a conversation going. That also why PSP isn't on there. It was just another example of a handheld console.

Ashes

Banned
Seems like they went the modern consumer tech root. I would had put the Swiss army knife, Casio wrist watch, or rolexes, or blenders, toasters, microwave ovens, coffee machines, kettle's, above most of the things in this list. Probably a Hoover too.

Edit: My personal number 1 would be either the ford car, the jumbo 747, a fridge/freezer, washing machine, or microwave.

javac

That entire stretch from #34-36 is ranked oddly low. HP Deskjet & Palm Pilot were pretty damn influential as well.

I think that it's a case of taking things for granted, which isn't something we can fault them on because that's how the world works and we all do it. So influential that it becomes ingrained in society.

Agreed. The Wii ushered in the casual game landscape and heavily influenced the new F2P model. It gave publishers insight into how fickle consumers are and how to better "hook" them. Whether you agree or not with how the game model shifted, Wii had a large impact on how it has played out.

I don't see what, if anything the Wii had to do with the F2P model. If the argument is that the Wii ushered in a new era of casual gaming maybe I could concede a little ground. Still, when it comes to casual and mobile gaming I'd say the most revolutionary console there wouldn't be the Wii, it would be the DS. Touch controls have had an immeasurably greater impact on the mobile and casual landscape than waggle ever did.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kinda surprised to not see some kind of consumer level CD burner. Like one of the old HP ones circa 2001 that were like 2x or 4x.

Everyone was burning everything there for a 5 year period before the iPod firmly took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom