• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to remind everyone again of the worst controller ever made

McCheese

You sweet summer children, you clearly never tried to play an FPS on the Atari Jaguar.

I would post a pic but I would get PTSD just seeing it again.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think it can be objectively said that Jaguar controller is the biggest piece of shit.

But Switch Pro being unusable in Tetris is pretty damn unforgivable.

It's kinda ironic how Nintendo pioneered the D pad, made it mainstream or whatever, but soon after the SNES , it pretty much ruined it and seems like, it never bothered getting it right again, From the N64, all the way to the Switch.

Also whoever thinks the N64 controller is worse than Gamecube's is out of their fucking mind.

Sure the N64 controller was bad, but it worked well with the 3D games of Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc. It sucked ass for racers and pretty much everything else. The Gamecube controller however, was a total abomination.

Avisari

Neo Member
I think this would have been the worst:
2653-controller-1.jpg

I'm so glad it didn't happen

Was hoping this would show up. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Geki-D

Banned
It's kinda ironic how Nintendo pioneered the D pad, made it mainstream or whatever, but soon after the SNES , it pretty much ruined it and seems like, it never bothered getting it right again, From the N64, all the way to the Switch.
I think what happened was that Nintendo was the first but it was perfected by others and Nintendo simply never followed suit.
The Gamecube controller however, was a total abomination.
I always prefered the NGC pad for Smash Bros. Don' recall liking it for any other game, though.

This should not be given a free ride. Mangler of thumbs, crippler or normal sized hands.

One of the best, and most important controllers of all-time. There was literally noting better at the time. And since most users were young, having smaller hands...

YouTuber Blackb0nd made a good video about all-time great controllers:

Last edited:
Have you all got tiny girl hands?

I had the Duke when I was 14 and it fit comfortably in my hands. One of the best controllers.

N64 is hands down the worst controller ever made. Its a fucking mess:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Best controller ever goes to xbox elite.

Last edited:

Avisari

Neo Member
One of the best, and most important controllers of all-time. There was literally noting better at the time. And since most users were young, having smaller hands...

Damn, over 1 hour long video. Is it really worth the watch?

Gamecube a D? Genesis/saturn S? Good thing I didn't waste my time watching that, handy video pic. Video was made by a certified imbecile.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
No PS4 pad? Ugh...
I was wondering who would be the first fanboy to bring up an 8th gen, base pad. Only a total fanboy would even mention the PS4 or XB1 pad amongst all of the actually bad pads we've had over the years.

Orta

Banned
The n64 controller was a monstrosity. Honestly, the middle part with the analogue stick was like a great big hard cock dangling from its body.

It ruined every game I played on the system.

Birdo

Banned
The Dualshock 3 is the worst controller of all time.

Convex............ fucking.............. triggers..............

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I was wondering who would be the first fanboy to bring up an 8th gen, base pad. Only a total fanboy would even mention the PS4 or XB1 pad amongst all of the actually bad pads we've had over the years.

I hardly see what a generation has to do with it, when the wiimote hands down is worse than the SNES pad.

The PS4 pad has awful triggers and sticks movement, not to mention the ends peel off far too easy. That’s not even talking about it’s shape, position or general build quality.

Come on. I’m a Xbox fan, but I can point out flaws with Xbox shit too. Don’t pull the fanboy card, the PS4 pad is shite tier compared to the DS3.

Geki-D

Banned
I hardly see what a generation has to do with it, when the wiimote hands down is worse than the SNES pad.

The PS4 pad has awful triggers and sticks movement, not to mention the ends peel off far too easy. That’s not even talking about it’s shape, position or general build quality.

Come on. I’m a Xbox fan, but I can point out flaws with Xbox shit too. Don’t pull the fanboy card, the PS4 pad is shite tier compared to the DS3.
And this is the point where this fun thread turns into an excuse for fanboys to vent their console hatred... 😒

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
And this is the point where this fun thread turns into an excuse for fanboys to vent their console hatred... 😒

A fanboy is “the last word”, somebody who blindly follows a product and doesn’t see its flaws, but only sees positives.

How is what I’m doing anything related to bei.......

Oh I see. Sony Gaf. Got it. Don’t slag of PlayStation. Understood. Well you should have just made the damn poll with PlayStation Locked in for first place. Or you could, you know, grow up?

The Xbox One pads battery pack stuff is shit with no share button. The PlayStation 4 pad has awful triggers and terrible battery life. The switch has a terrible dpad, even on the pro controller. See what I did there? I found flaws with each of the 3 main current platforms. It’s not hard, it’s calling being a fan and not a fanboy. Try it. Or just, you know, don’t instantly call out the fanboy card just because somebody doesn’t like what you like.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my vote goes to this piece of shit:

5580915_sd.jpg

maybe not the worst controller ever but easily the worst Playstation controller. shite battery life, symmetrical analog sticks, stupid flashlight, speakers, and a touch pad that hardly any game uses.

Nintendo sold like 80 million copies of tetris on their gameboy.

Then they released this fucking piece of shit.
Autodrops blocks cause the dpad is so fucking shitty. Don't even bother trying to play fighters on this garbopad.

Nintendo out of all companies that created the dpad.
RUINED IT.
probably my favourite controller behind the Xbox One.

the dpad is fine.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It's hard to top the shittiness of N64 and Gamecube controllers at least when it comes to big consoles. Also imo Saturn wasn't successful because of no attractive 3D games. If there were more of them people would get past the issue of having to use a shitty controller.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
It's just my opinion but I think this monstrosity is one of the biggest, but less frequently mentioned reasons why the Saturn launch bombed in the US and never recovered...while it was relatively successful in Japan.

No.

It was a very nice controller, also perfect for fighters in a moment in which fighters were very important.

Mihos

Gold Member
This thread shows how many people have never used some of the Atari 5200 or intellivision 2 controllers back in the 80’s. The intellivision 2 controller is abysmal. The terrible face buttons of the first system are made worse because they lost the tactile bump.
image001.jpg

Still love the system to death though.

These kids don't know pain

Woo-Fu

Banned
Anybody who doesn't vote intellivision controllers as the worst of all time has never used one for more than 30m. Those side buttons would probably qualify as a war crime in different circumstances. Young punks, get off my lawn.

Last edited:
I thought I was going to see the n64 or Dreamcast controller, they both have horrible layout.

I'd say the Wii, wii U or switch controllers are pretty bad for more regular (Zelda botw, Mario, etc.) If you don't get the pro controller for the respective platform.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Wiimote is the worst. It's unusable for me. The thing was designed for leprechaun hands.

Rodolink

Ok imo theres never been a perfect controller, some very close to perfection though. (SNES for me as far as 2D games) DS4 overall ergonomics and X360.

But all have pros and cons:

• PS2: always hated its L2R2 buttons always getting stuck. Had to open it up and get replacements several times.
  • N64: why the hate? sure it looks horrible. But if you remove one of the handles is pretty ergonomic and never had any problems with it even now.
  • GCN and Dreamcast: nobody fuckn holds a controller with their arms in parallel. what were they thinking putting the handles parallel. BUT other than that their button layout, feel and reponsiveness are superb.
  • Wii: one of the worst imo. Only thing that felt good in this was the A and B buttons. D-pad mushy as hell and small, hard to play old 2d classics. (although the speaker and rumble gave haptic feeling that make you forget some of the problems)
  • X360: stupid d-pad was so terrible. Perfect everything else
  • WiiU: so damn heavy! Although I like the dpad and buttons feel. Other than that I think Nintendo lost it and didnt care as much about controls after the GCN I mean they are functional and sturdy but compare that to the state of the art Xone or DS4...
  • DS4: Really great design apart from its tube like handles that feel like holding a handlebar. Terrible position of options and share buttons, specially when wanting to pause in tight situations.
  • XOne: d-pad again omg can someone teach Microsoft how to make a d-pad? Great feel on triggers, bad positioning of bumpers.

BlackTron

Nintendo sold like 80 million copies of tetris on their gameboy.

Then they released this fucking piece of shit.
Autodrops blocks cause the dpad is so fucking shitty. Don't even bother trying to play fighters on this garbopad.

Nintendo out of all companies that created the dpad.
RUINED IT.

Yeah I love the Pro Controller but if I'm playing Tetris, I use joycons instead because the separate d-pad buttons are a blessing in this case...

This was so close to being the best controller of all time, and they fail at the DPAD?!! The Wii U had a great D-Pad but put the right stick and buttons in the wrong place.

Oh well, the search continues.

LordRaptor

The actual answers are probably jaguar or intellivision, but I'm going to go ahead and say the original dualshock, not because it was necessarily bad for its time, but because its a fucking metastasized cancer that hasn't significantly changed in decades, and only gets a pass because people have gotten used to it

clickable thumbsticks = shit
analogue as a primary input but not where your thumb naturally rests = shit

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

None of you have any idea what you're talking about. The worst controller of all time is this piece of flimsy garbage:

1280px-Atari-2600-Joystick.jpg

I broke many of them as a 7 year old. 7. Not 20. Not 13. 7. And many of them. That stick sucked major ass.

I remember the skin of the stick would slide off sometimes if you turned it upside down. It was just a clear skeleton underneath.

Reactions: TLZ

IKSTUGA

Qualitywise, no, it's the N64 one. Never broken so many controllers in just a few years. Ergonomically I really dislike Switch joycons. Almost got a cramp the other day playing Contra.

HeresJohnny

Surprised no one has mentioned the true worst controller ever: Kinect. So bad that polluted an entire console launch and the last two years of the 360. I’ve thought about buying one of those things used off of GameStop just so I could use it as target practice with a .308.

Reactions: TLZ

TacosNSalsa

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the earlier Mad Catz stuff or even worse the Gamestop branded stuff..I think I remember rumors of some them actually burning out the controller port

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The Dualshock 3 is the worst controller of all time.

Convex............ fucking.............. triggers..............

I worked in a game store during this era and there was this accessory for the sixaxis/dualshock 3 that was literally just two little pieces of plastic that clipped onto the L2 and R2 to give it a more traditional "hook" of a trigger.

I legit must of sold 300-400 of these packs.

Top Bottom