• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Traveler spotted in 1928 movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britprog

Right ok she is a time traveller???

If I was her I would go back in time and stop myself getting caught on film!!! :lol :lol :lol

WillyFive

Mudkips said:
George Lucas really needs to stop with the special editions.
This wasn't even his fucking movie!

Neither were The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

pj

Banned
You're all stupid. That woman is not a time traveler, the man walking in front of her is. You can tell by his obviously 21st century gait. He gave the lady 5 bucks and a bar of soap painted black and said "walk 6 feet behind me." Classic misdirection

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ether_Snake said:
Is that picture fake? The guy has modern everything, even his shirt and haircut.
real picture, and its been debunked, everything he was wearing was available back then. There was a thread on gaf recently about it.

captive said:
real picture, and its been debunked, everything he was wearing was available back then. There was a thread on gaf recently about it.

The evidence to the contrary is not entirely persuasive.

Locke

I like how the debunk to this is (not that I think its probably a real time traveller) "OMG CELL PHONES WILL BE SMALLER IN THE FUTURE"

This logic is just stupid, how the fuck could you possibly assume that a phone THAT GETS CELL SERVICE THROUGH TIME AND SPACE would be smaller than phones we have now.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to prove this is not a time traveller, but the smaller cell phone argument is idiotic.

The funny thing about time travel is we really wouldn't know if someone had changed the future. You could have gone to sleep typing on a computer with a pentium 3 processor that runs on windows 98. While you were sleeping someone went back in time and changed something and now you're working on a Mac. You wouldn't know that someone has changed anything.

lightless_shado said:
The funny thing about time travel is we really wouldn't know if someone had changed the future. You could have gone to sleep typing on a computer with a pentium 3 processor that runs on windows 98. While you were sleeping someone went back in time and changed something and now you're working on a Mac. You wouldn't know that someone has changed anything.
in that case, the terminator series' logic really falls apart :lol

WillyFive

lightless_shado said:

Well, you wouldn't know, because you would still be using Windows 98.

It would be the other you the new timeline that would be using Mac, not you.

Its a black and white shot with an old and technicaly primitive camera when you compare it the the advanced black and white films of the 50s or 60s. You cant tell what that shadow is but its probably just a shadow at no point you see that this thing is a device of any kind. She is probably just scratching her face and talking to her self what a hot day it is.

Here is the footage in directfeed not a filmed tv screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ0VR0ktmRo

starts at 0:18

maniac-kun said:
Its a black and white shot with an old and technicaly primitive camera when you compare it the the advanced black and white films of the 50s or 60s. You cant tell what that shadow is but its probably just a shadow at no point you see that this thing is a device of any kind. She is probably just scratching her face and talking to her self what a hot day it is.

Here is the footage in directfeed not a filmed tv screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ0VR0ktmRo

Yeah, definitely looks like she's scratching her head there.

maniac-kun said:

myth busted

Jal

Looks to me like she's with the dude infront of her and she's shouting to him he's going the wrong way or something. There's a number of reasons you could have your hand up to your face.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Willy105 said:

Not if there's only one timeline that alters itself to correct paradox.

I heard when time traveling you can only go back to when the machine was first turn on/created, and you can only travel back, if said machine is still on.

So once a time machine is invented, people will only be able to travel back to that initial date.

WillyFive

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I heard when time traveling you can only go back to when the machine was first turn on/created, and you can only travel back, if said machine is still on.

So once a time machine is invented, people will only be able to travel back to that initial date.

This would mean the machine doesn't travel with you. If it traveled with you, then there shouldn't be any hypothetical reason to not go back in time farther than the initial date.

Of course, in real life, the only realistic method of time travel is forward, and you can't rewind. But of course that's no fun.

DaMan121

Locke said:
I like how the debunk to this is (not that I think its probably a real time traveller) "OMG CELL PHONES WILL BE SMALLER IN THE FUTURE"

This logic is just stupid, how the fuck could you possibly assume that a phone THAT GETS CELL SERVICE THROUGH TIME AND SPACE would be smaller than phones we have now.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to prove this is not a time traveller, but the smaller cell phone argument is idiotic.

No its not.. Technology: Everything is getting smaller.

Belfast

maniac-kun said:

No, no, no. She is NOT scratching her head. Not once do you see her fingers move, let alone in a scratching motion. Her hand is in the position of holding something. You can see that her first two fingers are clasped around the upper edge, while the other two are cradling the body of whatever she is holding. Whether or not that's a cell phone is the issue here.

But I will tell you right now, she's not just "scratching her head." Who holds their hand like that scratch her head? And who wears that much clothing when it's a particularly hot day out?

I'm not saying she's a time traveler (though the narrative is tempting), but the explanations being used to disprove it are just as much patent, speculative bullshit.

WillyFive

Belfast said:
And who wears that much clothing when it's a particularly hot day out?

The weird thickens.

How did you know it was a hot day out?

And she and your avatar have a similar color scheme!

What were you doing in 1928?

Lionel Mandrake said:
RankP.jpg

Holy shit, check out the guy on his right looking towards him/the camera.

mitch-pileggi09.jpg

KidDork

It's clearly Fatty Arbuckle, dressed in drag, desperate to get back on the silver screen. When the Illuminati resurrects him in 2012, this will be his one wish: to be sent back in time to fuck with one of Chaplin's films. Only the set of THE CIRCUS will be temporally available through the Time Weave at this point in history, so THE CIRCUS it is.

Then Arbuckle will lead the Illuminati forces against the zombie hordes issuing from Antarctica. Just wait. You'll see.

kennah

So this guy, who is a "filmmaker", seriously just filmed this off his tv?

Yeah buddy, you went to great lengths to look at this in detail....

rSpooky said:
You are right, which is why I showed some friends without the pre-knowledge. They all saw the same thing. Someone holding a cellphone.

whatever it was, it is cool intruige for a morning.

yes, but that's what they'd see every day out in the street. they have pre-knowledge that in day to day life, if they see someone holding their hand like that and moving their lips then that person is most likely talking on a mobile phone. so there's already a bias towards that interpretation.

koam

MendicantBS said:
Hmmm....That seems familiar:
516FSHY0YBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Holy shit, the n64 with bluetooth!!! Time travel reconfirmed

if time travel were real why would some fat old lady who obviously sucks at keeping her cover be one of the test subjects

sucks? She kept it hidden for 82 years

Ravidrath

Who says she's calling someone that's currently in the future?

It's far more likely she's the member of an away team, and communicating with her coworkers that are currently in a satellite/observation pod.

Willy105 said:

exactly, but that's assuming a new timeline and therefore alternate universe would be created.

I don't think time travel could ever be possible, unless we could go back only as invisible observers and not actually change anything. It would be pretty cool to go back and see how the pyramids looked when they were blindingly white.

I mean if someone did create some sort of Time travel device, who would get to use it? could countries use it for military purposes? how do we not know that the U.S. is actually a third world country, but someone went back in time and changed things so it would become a super power? Its just too much power, like knowing the future. We would never be able to handle it which is why time travel doesn't exist now and never will.

Also my theory on this situation is this: She is an extra and so she's trying to stand out. By doing something--anything that would make her seem strange, she could catch the eye of a director who could cast her in a role with dialogue. She was likely playing with her hair, or listening through a seashell and remarking upon how it sounds just like the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom