• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Best TV of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Time does 2 lists every year-10 Best series and 10 Best Episodes. You can go to these links to see the full write ups and give them the clicks.

The Top 10 TV Shows

10. Love, Netflix

9. Speechless, ABC

8. Veep, HBO

7. Better Call Saul, AMC

6. O.J.: Made in America, ESPN
oj-made-in-america.jpg

It’s a somewhat brutal coincidence that this virtuosic series aired after The People v. O.J. Simpson seemed to have exhausted all possible conversation about the trial. But the two projects actually complement each other beautifully. The fictional FX series is content with a cipher at its center, plumbing just about everything but Juice’s psyche; the ESPN documentary (which is being submitted to the Academy Awards as a single, very long film) pursued the former football star’s motivations with a singleminded obsession. Tracking Simpson’s life from star athlete unconcerned with the social-justice concerns that obsessed his peers to disgraced would-be reality TV performer, director Ezra Edelman finds stunning footage to tell his story. The verdict? In Edelman’s telling, Simpson spent his life trying to outrun his race, only to see his white friends abandon him after the racially divisive trial—and after that, his appetites doomed him. That two projects as accomplished as 2016’s two O.J. stories could coexist does more than testify to the beautiful breadth of TV these days: It shows us just how multifariously relevant the Simpson story, presumed for too long to be half-forgotten tabloid trash, really is.

5. Atlanta, FX

4. Late Night With Seth Meyers, NBC

3. The Americans, FX

2. The Girlfriend Experience, Starz

1. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, FX

oj-fx-best-tv.jpg

What else is there to say? This majestic piece of television said it all over the course of ten episodes of unparalleled sophistication and confidence. Gender, race, class, and celebrity all butted up against one another over the course of Simpson’s trial, as the series laceratingly shows. The series is at once merciful to its characters—everyone from widely-mocked defender Johnnie Cochran (Courtney B. Vance) to hated prosecutor Marcia Clark (Sarah Paulson) gets given back their humanity—and relentless in its depiction of their complicity in a system that, on many levels, failed to deliver justice. The depth of the show’s ideas make one wish there was, somehow, more, but the show’s remarkable cohesion of rhetorical and visual style makes a compelling case for the miniseries as TV’s perfect form. The season’s ending, with Simpson (Cuba Gooding Jr.) freed but a pariah, was the stuff of Greek tragedy—and the show’s creators, not shy about being showy, pitched it, perfectly, at just that level.

The Top 10 TV Episodes

10. “Stephen Colbert’s Live Election Night: Democracy’s Series Finale,” Showtime
9. “San Junipero,” Black Mirror , Netflix

8. “Meth(od),” High Maintenance, HBO

7. “Fallen Heroes,” The Carmichael Show, NBC

“The Cosby Show was so important,” Jerrod Carmichael (played by Jerrod Carmichael) tells his family as they debate the legacy of disgraced comedy icon Bill Cosby. “It made us realize we could go to college. I mean, we didn’t, but we knew we could.” This episode, the strongest, in a terrific season, applied Carmichael’s template of half-hour-long round-robin debate to a topic that cut very close to the bone. Every character in Carmichael’s universe had a strong opinion about Cosby’s misdeeds and his legacy—or several, butting up against each other—and the debates were at once vibrantly hilarious and rightly dispiriting. Carmichael, a contrarian by nature, knows that this debate’s impossible to settle. Cosby’s impact, after all, is ratified by the fact that a sitcom about a black family living in suburban Charlotte is closer to unremarkable today than it would have been in the 1980s. And the diminishment of his legacy is proven by the fact that this family rejects respectability politics, that in their endless arguments they are as unapologetically outspoken and crass as white families have been allowed to be. The whole series is a debate about its NBC predecessor: This one, brilliantly, just moved the matter from subtext to text.

6. “The Winds of Winter,” Game of Thrones, HBO

5. Megyn Kelly’s interview with Newt Gingrich, Fox News

4. “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia,” The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, FX
people-v-oj-simpson.jpg

The People v. O.J. Simpson was so strong across the board, and so unified in its vision and style, that it’s hard to pick out a single installment worthy of special consideration, but the episode dealing with Marcia Clark’s particular challenges as a female prosecutor is such a good showcase for Sarah Paulson that it deserves special mention. The series at large used the trial to prismatically examine every conceivable issue connected to it; in miniature, this episode looked at all the different sorts of misogyny Clark faced, and all the ways in which she failed to make the trial any easier on herself than it might otherwise have been. The scene in which Clark, having so internalized the critiques of herself and so misread what the public wants of her, flaunts a grievous new perm—that’s heartbreaking stuff.

3. “Hope,” Black-ish, ABC
blackish-hope.jpg

An acquittal of a cop in a fictional racially-motivated misconduct case sets off the action of this episode, sophisticated even by Black-ish’s high standard. The debates that ensue among the Johnson family—over whether to raise children with hope or fear, over whether to protest or avoid rocking the boat—feel only more relevant now than they did when the episode aired in February. The episode manages to deal in granular detail with concerns many families face, all while shrewdly managing to use each character to their best comic effect.
The famous scene from that episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvykfyGTnbQ

2. “Toast Can’t Never Be Bread Again,” Orange is the New Black, Netflix

1. “Fish Out of Water,” BoJack Horseman, Netflix

Both OJ series were out of this world and both worth watching. But that ESPN documentary was amazing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Stranger Things deserved to be on there. Some of the best child actors I've seen in ages and a great ensemble cast and a wonderfully made series with a great synth soundtrack.

mjc

I really wanna check out that ESPN doc about OJ. I caught some of it at the gym back when it aired, but not enough.

Dalek

Man, is Love a terrible show. Just so bad.

I really liked it a lot-it was very different than any other show I've seen. But I COMPLETELY get why someone else would hate it. The two main characters are just complete train wrecks.

Fuck these shows, where is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend?!

I hate this show. My wife loves it. For the exact reason I stated above about Love. It's just annoying to me.

I really liked it a lot-it was very different than any other show I've seen. But I COMPLETELY get why someone else would hate it. The two main characters are just complete train wrecks.

I hate this show. My wife loves it. For the exact reason I stated above about Love. It's just annoying to me.

I get it. I have an absolute hate for Mr. Robot and I'm secretly happy in a self validation way that it isn't included on this list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not necessarily my list, but it's a pretty competent and coherent one--the one thing that seems bizarre is Late Night with Seth Meyers which really had absolutely no traction or appeal in a year where late night TV generally tried new things (Chelsea; Desus & Muro) or went viral like never before (Jimmy Fallon, James Corden).

Fish Out of Water is probably the best episode of TV I saw this year, I will give it that.

Edit: RE "Where is XYZ" -- there are about 500 scripted shows on TV right now, this is 1/50th of what's on, unless someone shares your exact taste stuff is going to be cut.

ESPN doc was so good for sure

Pretty happy about Atlanta on there too. Gotta see girlfriend experience soon as I really like that actress and enjoyed the soderbergh movie

It's not necessarily my list, but it's a pretty competent and coherent one--the one thing that seems bizarre is Late Night with Seth Meyers which really had absolutely no traction or appeal in a year where late night TV generally tried new things (Chelsea; Desus & Muro) or went viral like never before (Jimmy Fallon, James Corden).

Fish Out of Water is probably the best episode of TV I saw this year, I will give it that.

Really? I feel like his Closer Look segments were always getting a good amount of buzz. That and his stuff with SNL cast members seemed to always come up. I tend to seek out SNL stuff so that could influence why I'm seeing so much of it though.

Edit: RE "Where is XYZ" -- there are about 500 scripted shows on TV right now, this is 1/50th of what's on, unless someone shares your exact taste stuff is going to be cut.

I just wanted to say fuck those shows! lol

You'll put the 2nd best episode of the new Bojack season at the top of your list but not the season itself?

You go to hell and you die Time.

Seth Meyers is actually the best interviewer on late night now and his closer look stuff was pretty good during election season

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Stranger Things deserved to be on there. Some of the best child actors I've seen in ages and a great ensemble cast and a wonderfully made series with a great synth soundtrack.

And yet I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as these other shows. Stranger Things is a very targeted experience. A little storyline for everybody (kids, moms, dads, teens) but I don't think it's a game changer. Fun but the best of anything? I'd disagree. Great kid actors though, very charming. Sorta like Super 8 in that regard.

On the other hand you look at something like Atlanta which takes an aspect of American culture that is rarely explored and genuinely does unique things with it. Or The People vs OJ Simpson, that took a story we all knew and made it compelling. Or Better Call Saul and The Americans, shows that rely almost exclusively on strong performances and smart dialogue. I would say that's the gulf between "good" and "great."

Eidan

Can't argue with any of the O.J. picks. The ESPN doc was incredible, and the episode of American Crime Story focusing exclusively on Marcia Clark was the closest TV got to making me cry this year, right next to Election Night.

How has the trajectory of the show been? I've only seen S1, but it was... really bad. Like, almost as bad as Dexter or The Walking Dead. If it gets better I'd be willing to take another look though.

Stop now. If you don't like S1 I don't think you'll change your mind. I think it's more of a show that you like it for the characters or you don't like it at all.

Barrage

Is it weird that these lists always make me wanna check out the shows that people complain were omitted? Like, i'm more hyped for Stranger Things than either OJ Series now.

For how expensive it was, I wonder if the lack of love for The Get Down critically is bothering Netflix.and The Night Of, for that matter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And yet I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as these other shows. Stranger Things is a very targeted experience. A little storyline for everybody (kids, moms, dads, teens) but I don't think it's a game changer. Fun but the best of anything? I'd disagree. Great kid actors though, very charming. Sorta like Super 8 in that regard.

On the other hand you look at something like Atlanta which takes an aspect of American culture that is rarely explored and genuinely does unique things with it. Or The People vs OJ Simpson, that took a story we all knew and made it compelling. Or Better Call Saul and The Americans, shows that rely almost exclusively on strong performances and smart dialogue. I would say that's the gulf between "good" and "great."

And I think its great TV, I'd put it over Love and the latest season of the Americans with ease.

Solo

Both OJ series are phenomenal. They absolutely deserve their place and are hype-worthy.

But Stranger Things is still a glaring omission.

TripOpt55

Surprised by the inclusion of Love. Completely forgettable and I feel like there are several much better similar shows. I do enjoy seeing these lists from various publications/sites each year. Sometimes they turn me on to some shows I missed out on.

Solo

Surprised by the inclusion of Love. Completely forgettable and I feel like there are several much better similar shows. I do enjoy seeing these lists from various publications/sites each year. Sometimes they turn me on to some shows I missed out on.

Netflix alone had multiple better shows than Love in 2016. And I even somewhat enjoyed Love.

Blader

I liked Made in America more, but both OJ series were incredible.

Also, while The Girlfriend Experience is underrated, putting it #2 is somewhat overhyping it, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom