• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Best TV of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase17

Surprised to see Love on the list. Didn't like it too much but good to see it connected with some.

Haven't heard of the Girl Friend experience but I'll check it out. Also still need to watch the Americans at some point.

Would probably put Atlanta as my favorite show of the year so nice to see it made the list.

Nice to see Fish out of water get some love.

1. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, FX
15bc297ca6c290b1a778382f1c6396a8.png

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked it a lot-it was very different than any other show I've seen. But I COMPLETELY get why someone else would hate it. The two main characters are just complete train wrecks.

That they are train wrecks isn't my problem, specifically. You're The Worst and Fleabag both do that as well, and they're much much better shows.

My problem is that it's not funny enough to be a comedy or interesting enough to be a drama. It's nothing. It just sits there limply, desperately wishing that it had anything of substance to say.

I managed to watch the ESPN O.J. doc series last week and I'll add my vote to it, it was really good. The FX show was also good, despite having few dips.

As someone who wasn't familiar with the details of the O.J. story, I'm glad these shows got made. Who would've thought that in 2016 we'd be treated with 18 hours of entertainment about O.J. fucking Simpson. Wonder what he thinks about that..

And I'm glad Stranger Things didn't make the list. I enjoyed it a lot but it's honestly been overhyped to hell by the nerds. And although the kids were great in it, I found them fairly annoying on all these talk shows appearances; which makes me skeptical of the next season tbh.

Does The Expanse qualify as 2016 (half of it premiered in '15)? If so, it deserves some love.

Outside of the child actors, Stranger Things is pretty mediocre and ultimately forgettable. The only "Best of" lists you'll find it on will be from enthusiast press.

Is The People v. OJ Simpson available to stream anywhere? I saw a couple episodes when it originally aired, and really want to get back into it.

Wait, was is Colbert's election special doing here? That was seriously hard to watch and not Colbert nor his guests seemed to be wanting to be there that night. The whole affair was depressing as fuck, especially with that intro.

Stoze

Is The Girlfriend Experience really that good? I have seen the film twice and thought it was just okay.

It's a slow burn even with the short run time per episode, but I thought it was very good. I totally forgot about it until seeing this list though.

That they are train wrecks isn't my problem, specifically. You're The Worst and Fleabag both do that as well, and they're much much better shows.

My problem is that it's not funny enough to be a comedy or interesting enough to be a drama. It's nothing. It just sits there limply, desperately wishing that it had anything of substance to say.

After the first couple episodes Love becomes your typical Showtime set in LA/Hollywood schlock. Looking back in the OT I was surprised to find that I thought it was pretty good, guess I was starved for decent TV in February.

El Topo

Is The Girlfriend Experience really that good?

The movie is supposedly bad, I've never seen it, but the TV show is good. Given the subject, viewers should be prepared for a lot of nudity and sex though. Personally I could have done with less.

FStop7

Banned
This is even worse than their top 10 games list, LMAO

OJ: Made in America was 10 times better than People Vs. OJ.

Also, Veep? A late night show? No Stranger Things?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wait, was is Colbert's election special doing here? That was seriously hard to watch and not Colbert nor his guests seemed to be wanting to be there that night. The whole affair was depressing as fuck, especially with that intro.

That's...my question.

It was clearly meant to be a Clinton celebration party and ho boy did that not go as planned.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Confirmation that nobody watches Rectify, which is a shame because it's easily the best show currently airing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom