• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times When You Have Changed Your Mind About a Big Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaf turned me from hardline left liberal to more left-of-center.

I don't necessarily share your view but I understand where you're coming from.

Echo chambers like GAF almost make me feel conservative sometimes, when merely not jumping to whatever conclusion supports your worldview is viewed as a conservative stance by some people.

I don't feel any of the most commonly discussed social justice topics discussed on this forum are "petty" but a lot of them have serious tone issues that are exacerbated by posters with toxic attitudes and the mods that enable them.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that if you were polled on several prominent topics you'd still be somewhat progressive. If they were genuinely held beliefs they're not going to be changed by the occasional nasty argument.

this!

ibyea

Banned
Definitely the whole religion thing. Thanks to the power of science blogs, I have gone in a matter of year from Christian to atheist. Other than that, not too much, I have always had a somewhat left wing slant that has just grown larger as I saw the injustices that also exist under a capitalist system.

Fink

Internet helped turn me vegan. The empathy for animal suffering was always there, but I had only ever heard "you need meat in your diet" and that "people who don't eat meat are weak and sickly" so I was never aware I had options.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
There's a difference between an action and a belief. What if he didn't dis-associate himself and simply believed they shouldn't marry people of the same sex? That's not an action, it's simply a belief. Suppose he treated them well otherwise? Would dis-association with him be bigotry then? I would argue that it's at least cruel.

It did the opposite for me. When I was in highschool, I actually argued with a social teacher about "why should we care?" About gay people getting married. After going through college, my belief that gay people should be able to get married was solidified, but the idea that the government should be in the business of recognizing marriage at all was brought to the fore. Partially because people I knew were excessively rabid against people who were against gay marriage, and partially because I began to think about "open marriages" and polygamous relationships as viable forms of a sustainable relationship.

Marriage has been a social institution since way before any of the Abrahamic religions came into being. Sometimes it's used for love, sometimes for political unification, or as wergild, as a peace treaty - but it's always had a set of rights and privileges associated with it.

as a civil institution, marriage Is basically a bundle of various legal contracts - your spouse automatically (unless otherwise stated) becomes the primary beneficiary of your estate upon death. They are granted visitation rights upon hospitalization. You are able to jointly file taxes without needing to form a holding company. They are granted power of attorney.

these, and hundreds of other, legal arrangements can be made without marriage - they just each involve their own forms, arrangements, and processes. A Marriage contract is a large package of separate legal arrangements that have all conveniently been bundled together into one unit.

These arrangements are binary in nature, though - You can't have polygamous marriages because then you have multiple primary beneficiaries, multiple people with powers of attorney, and so on - How do you resolve a legal dispute where two people have power of attorney and both want to take different actions? You can't, without the courts throwing out the whole concept of power of attorney and taking it upon themselves to make the decision for the multiple individuals who were previously granted power of attorney.

An "Open Marriage" is simply a marriage where the two individuals agree to be sexually (and perhaps emotionally) involved with other individuals - but that doesn't change the legal arrangements they've made together. They've still agreed to give each other power of attorney, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom