• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TimeSplitters was so ahead of its time it is now more prevalent then ever before

RedSwirl

Even at the time people remarked that Future Perfect was an insanely content-rich shooter. You had campaign, the typical versus MP modes, the map editor, the arcade challenges, and some other weird stuff like assault mode.

If you didn't have an Xbox, TimeSplitters might have been far and away the best FPS you could buy.

PS2 to PS4 is dead right? It seems at this point there is next to no hope of this series ever making its way over.

I was about to say, TS is probably the ONE game I would consider re-buying if they put the PS2 version on PS4. Imagine it: 1080p TS2 split screen.

Microsoft putting the original Xbox versions of those games on Xbox One backwards compatibility when it stars doing original Xbox games would also make more more likely to get an Xbox One.

For now though I'm wondering what's better: The Gamecube versions on Dolphin, or the PS2 versions on PCSX2?

Mr. Robot

I loved the map/mision creator, it was just so much fun to choose the lighting/music/theme of your level, or looking for blueprints of real locations/maps online, i blame the death of content creation on the DLC craze of the 00s.

maybe... if they put map parts on lootcrates this series could be revived...

If you want to champion TimeSplitters, that's great. It's a great game. (2 is my preference)

Trying to tie it up with the lootbox stuff...? Huh?

I believe OP is referring to the fact that lootboxes obviously encourage content left out of the original game for financial purposes. TS is a franchise that embodies content included for the sake of its inherent value, unlike almost everything in the modern game industry.

WAvhP5Q.jpg

Also, the Lunar Lander knock-off in Timesplitters 2 is incredible in it's own right.

My old job use to have Timesplitters 2 Snake competitions. I have no idea why it was so huge at my office space at the time.

Man it's the only game left in the nostalgia bank for me

Actually that and Burnout

These games where the definition of Arcade fun

I loved making a new map with a new story for my Sister to play everyday

The Map Maker was so simple yet very creative

I douta that many games had as much impact on me as Timesplitters 2! I still remember the demo in its entirety. It was just so much fun, great gunplay, good mix between "adult themes" and cartoon/fun style, amazing amount of variety.
Playing all the arcade modes on split screen was hundreds of hours of good fun!

If the gods of gaming exist a comeback should be on its way! The campaign would need some tweaks to appeal in this modern times, but the multiplayer would be a success!

Bishop89

I thought it was the the console franchise from that gen.

The campaigns were so much fun. I love how it was filled with pop culture stuff and parodies
I appreciated the multiplayer, with its unique maps and bots
The player selection was great
The music was great

TS2 is one of the all time greats. Put in hundreds and hundreds of hours and never got all the characters. Worst would be when you helped a friend unlock a character on their save file and then couldn't do it again on your own.

Kientin

TS2 was the most fun I have had in any FPS. Some of those challenges and the campaign on the hardest difficulty were incredibly difficult, but I did it all. I spent so much time clearing everything and making maps in the game. There were lots of good times had with friends and family. What a game. It's incredible how much content was stuffed into the game and most of it was pretty great.

TimeSplitters is goddamn amazing. Not super fine-tuned, polished, or even balanced, but some of the purest videogame fun I've ever had.

But the design of TimeSplitters is not why there weren't intrusive micro-transactions.

JelDeRebel

Neo Member
Soo much fun with Future Perfect

A friend brought his memory card with maps he made, full of glitches, weird camera angles, spikey traps in with no light, floating ammo boxes, zombie bots. We drank a few beers and god those maps were scary as hell

The single player was middling at best, but the local multiplayer was a lot of fun with the editor despite the controls never quite feeling tight enough. I could see TS2 and/or TS3 hitting OG Xbox BC on X1.

Timesplitters 2, looking back, has to be one of my most played games of all time with my friends. We got so many amazing play sessions in with that game. The characters, the deep customization, chaotic varied gameplay, it was a masterclass in multiplayer fun. And whenever I think about my favorite games of all time, I never give it its' due. Thanks for reminding me of it.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The original devs are likely well split up by now, Borderlands had a Timesplitters feel to it, if anyone was to purchase the IP from CryTek, I’d vote them. (Gearbox)

KadeYuy

The customization really was the staple of the series. I see people saying the game wasn't balanced which is true but if you played TS3 online you would have found an extremely competitive game due to hosts customizing their weapon sets.

D.Lo

TS2 and TS3 were indeed fantastic.

Whiners complained about the lack of jump, but they were a sort of Goldeneye/Serious Sam hybrid, designed with fast paced wackyness in mind.

KalBalboa

Banned
Where are my PS2 on PS4 versions?

Online play though Share Play.
Trophies for the extensive challenge modes.
Split screen with 1080p up-res.

C'mon.

Dreavus

Future Perfect on Gamecube is basically my "Goldeneye 64". I mean, I played that too, but not nearly as much. Great memories of jumping into 4p with buds and staying up all night sniping each other on Siberia (and forgetting to turn off the damn gun that can shoot through walls and getting destroyed by the first person who found it). Or driving the useless jeep around trying to run people over.

On the other hand... Co-op Assault mode on Mars Prison against the maximum number of bots, lets goooo!

My favourite part was all the characters; everyone had a few favourites and 80% of them are ridiculous but at the same time awesome. I liked playing as the time assassin or one of the robots, one of my friends just chose the duckman every time, and of course the rule of "no goddamn monkeys" was in full effect (alternatively, everyone be a goddamn monkey).

I enjoyed part 2, and 3 greatly on Gamecube. But at the same time, they were quick fixes for surviving the post-Golden Eye (and Perfect Dark) blues.

Banzai

Just to add to the stuff mentioned in the OP (all this based on TS2, favorite):

-Story missions that could change significantly based on difficulty: not just enemies with better aim, but additional objectives, more cameras in certain locations, etc
-a huge number of game modes that might as well be infinity with all the options to customize your matches (Virus mode, all monkeys)
-a huge list of challenges to complete, some of which I've never managed to finish ( stuff like smash all windows with bricks, etc)
-unlockable retro games in story mode like Snake
-AND SO MUCH MORE

This thread is honestly the first time i heard about that fan sequel. Cautiously excited now.

Top Bottom