• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers |OT| Steam 19th June

MRORANGE

iVsXXlZkycVpS.jpg

iDR5yC19vWWxU.png

Steam | GOG | Amazon retail | GamersGate | DRM Free : 19th June
Developed by Black Pants Game Studio
Official website
There is a demo to the beta version of the game called: Tiny and Big: Up That Mountain

grandpas-03.png

iO26cLiCPAIaT.png

Set in land where common physics apply, but everything else looks different. You are Tiny, a technophile
guy with a ray cutter, a gripping device and a fine attitude towards the world. But now your nemesis Big
stole the only heritage your grandpa left you: A nice pair of white, fine rib underpants! And he‘s surely up
to no good, why else would he take them up that haunted mountain… A quaky spot… So load up that
selfmade raygun and rope device (snitched from the local hardware store) and take your annoying and
jabbering backpack to accompany you. It‘s always been good use to your gramps. Run, jump, drag,
shove and laser your way through the ancient scenery, gain back those underpants!

grandpas-21.png

Tiny moves in a completely destructible and physically plausible environment. He‘s equipped with three
basic tools to modify his surroundings, as a means to get to otherwise unreachable spots in the game, or
slice and dice a level just for fun. He can use his mighty laser to cut and form any object at will. To move
objects, Tiny can choose between a grappling hook to pull, and a rocket to push pieces into position. Of
course, as the game proceeds, combining your tools gives the player a unique and sandboxy variety of
possibilities to solve puzzles.

grandpas-06.png

ioSFBvXZ7E55Q.png

Tiny and Big: Up That Mountain, has already won some awards:

ibzLnFPqapa81I.png

Twinduct

Someone buy this for me!
Played the prototype some time ago, seemed damn solid!
Although back then gameplay was limited as hell, so looking forward to see how they moved from the prototype phase!

Lijik

Someone buy this for me!

Me too! haha

I was under the impression this came out earlier this month for some reason! I think because it disappeared off Steam's coming soon list when I wanted to show it to a friend. Still, very excited to eventually play this. The art style is really cool, and the gameplay looks super fun.

I DL'd demo but it's just thrown up and error for me, just trying to sort it out now.
Looking forward to giving it a try but I will no doubt support the dev and pick it up tomorrow, looks interesting enough.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
We know that A Virus Named Tom is being delayed until after the summer sale (by Valve). We know this is launching on June 19th. So we can infer that the summer sale starts after June 19th but not long after, pretty much in keeping with previous years sales. I realize I'm hijacking this thread a bit, but the release date was the info I needed to make this inference, so it seemed appropriate.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any impressions? Length/Content? Is the soundtrack worth 4 bucks?

Cute OT btw.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What's going on here?

Not enough. Game looks like the very definition of a sleeper hit. Great visuals, nice gameplay mechanics apparently. Is there ANYONE who bought it and could provide proper impressions? lol

Not enough. Game looks like the very definition of a sleeper hit. Great visuals, nice gameplay mechanics apparently. Is there ANYONE who bought it and could provide proper impressions? lol

I know morningbus did.

I'll probably buy it just to wash out the taste of some of these shit games I'm playing just to say I have and get them out of my backlog on steam.

Edit: Probably buy it just turned into just bought it. Impressions soon I 'spose.

Toma

I know morningbus did.

I'll probably buy it just to wash out the taste of some of these shit games I'm playing just to say I have and get them out of my backlog on steam.

Edit: Probably buy it just turned into just bought it. Impressions soon I 'spose.

Yeah, me too after I saw that you bought it. Dual impressions then! Even bought the soundtrack edition, so those tracks better be good :p

Edit: 2,5gb will take a while to dl, though. Grah.

Edit: Apparently only 1,2GB big. First size it showed me was wrong.

Yeah, me too after I saw that you bought it. Dual impressions then! Even bought the soundtrack edition, so those tracks better be good :p

Edit: 2,5gb will take a while to dl, though. Grah.

Edit: Apparently only 1,2GB big. First size it showed me was wrong.

Fast internet for me :p It's already done.

syoaran

Ok I bought it, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

So this is a fairly linear 3D platformer with some very basic puzzle solving to get from point A to B, but you have to cut your own path though the level. As you play the level design becomes more inspired and the challenge quickly ramps up.

While not spoiling anything too much, the game starts throwing "boss" fights at you that require quick reflexes and a good sense of awareness to finish the level. Imagine the "hard" levels on Super Mario Galaxy, where plenty of trial and error is expected to get past a level. But the smart checkpoint system and infinite lives makes the whole thing feel fun rather than a chore.

Obviously, if you've seen screenshots the game looks great - even if the world around you can feel eerily still if your not cutting it apart. Soundtrack is awesome (and new tracks are only added to your playlist if you find the tape hidden in the level), and there are nice secrets in the form of simple mini games hidden around each level, stylized as 8bit GameBoy games.

I know this might sound like a strange game to compare to, but Tiny & Big reminds me of Little Big Planet. It shares the floaty jump, the excellent art style and a endearing cast of characters.

Toma

So this is a fairly linear 3D platformer with some very basic puzzle solving to get from point A to B, but you have to cut your own path though the level. As you play the level design becomes more inspired and the challenge quickly ramps up.

While not spoiling anything too much, the game starts throwing "boss" fights at you that require quick reflexes and a good sense of awareness to finish the level. Imagine the "hard" levels on Super Mario Galaxy, where plenty of trial and error is expected to get past a level. But the smart checkpoint system and infinite lives makes the whole thing feel fun rather than a chore.

Obviously, if you've seen screenshots the game looks great - even if the world around you can feel eerily still if your not cutting it apart. Soundtrack is awesome (and new tracks are only added to your playlist if you find the tape hidden in the level), and there are nice secrets in the form of simple mini games hidden around each level, stylized as 8bit GameBoy games.

I know this might sound like a strange game to compare to, but Tiny & Big reminds me of Little Big Planet. It shares the floaty jump, the excellent art style and a endearing cast of characters.

Finally! The first impressions in this thread. That looks nice! Can't wait to try later. Although I was a bit worried that the floaty jumping and slow movement animations would feel like dragging on a bit too long and become tiresome. Not bothering ingame?

That is awesome. Thanks for the impressions.

Toma

That is awesome. Thanks for the impressions.

I want to unlock the indie soundtrack >_> The idea of a growing playlist by finding hidden tapes sounds pretty appealing and interesting.

Game sure has some tempting features.

Edit: And I am very curious how boss fights work in this game :-o

I want to unlock the indie soundtrack >_> The idea of a growing playlist by finding hidden tapes sounds pretty appealing and interesting.

Game sure has some tempting features.

Edit: And I am very curious how boss fights work in this game :-o

That's definitely cool too. But little pixel games like that being in it really caught my eye.

Game needs a quick save I reckon, I encountered a checkpoint in the first level that kept throwing me back to it and I had to re-collect all the collectables I had found.
Spent 40mins on first level alone trying to surf a giant long piece of rock I cut off so I could get to a collectable quite high up, did it in the end and it was fun going for it.
I made a bridge on one bit by rocketing two large pillers together, even them up so I could balance on them, looks like it will be fun playing and the music is pretty cool so far too, another bonus.

Toma

Well, first bad news. The game apparently does not support Intel graphic chips and those might stir up some trouble with this game. Game crashed on me 3 times now in 30 minutes. And I even have an nvidia graphics card in this notebook (in addition to the onboard intel graphics chip).

Bleh, annoying.

How's the soundtrack?

Soundtrack is amazing in my opinion.
Should have bought the sountrack too :(

Lack of quick save is the only real big negative to me right now. I spent 52 minutes on first level. Some of that was definitely from falling or something going wrong. Yes, it was my fault. No, I shouldn't have to redo 10 minutes of rock cutting to get back to where I was. Kills momentum. I loved finding all the secrets in the first level. No performance issues so far.

The look is amazing. Reminds me of that trend in the early/mid last gen cel shading that I always loved. From the gameboy bits to just the western browns and purples are great.

The mechanics are really cool. I love just playing around with them. I don't know what "puzzles" will come out of these and that will definitely be important.

The actual jumping feels nearly identical to psychonauts which might be a negative to some people.

I'm having a blast. I'd recommend it to anyone fairly interested so far.

Toma

How's the soundtrack?

Good so far, cant tell you whether its worth 4 bucks for the soundtrack version yet, though.

Tried my first minigame. I exited it because I didnt read the instructions and now I cant start it again? One time affairs? :( Stupid.

Soundtrack is amazing in my opinion.
Should have bought the sountrack too :(

Lack of quick save is the only real big negative to me right now. I spent 52 minutes on first level. I loved finding all the secrets in the first level. Some of that was definitely from falling or something going wrong. Yes, it was my fault. No, I shouldn't have to redo 10 minutes of rock cutting to get back to where I was. Kills momentum. I loved it. No performance issues so far.

The look is amazing. Reminds me of that trend in the early/mid last gen cel shading that I always loved. From the gameboy bits to just the western browns and purples are great.

The mechanics are really cool. I love just playing around with them. I don't know what "puzzles" will come out of these and that will definitely be important.

The actual jumping feels nearly identical to psychonauts which might be a negative to some people.

I'm having a blast. I'd recommend it to anyone fairly interested so far.

Were you able to restart minigames?

Good so far, cant tell you whether its worth 4 bucks for the soundtrack version yet, though.

Tried my first minigame. I exited it because I didnt read the instructions and now I cant start it again? One time affairs? :( Stupid.

Was it the cut the blocks? I think that one bugged out and gave it to me even though I didn't do it in the time limit...

I haven't found an option to redo it, no.

I think if you restart the level, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to cut back up to it and it'll probably work again I'd think.

Oh and for clarification, the gameboy levels aren't pixelated (unless they change the way they look). It's just the normal graphics with a green filter and some plain textures. I think it looks cool, but it's not actually trying to recreate gameboy stuff exactly.

Toma

Was it the cut the blocks? I think that one bugged out and gave it to me even though I didn't do it in the time limit...

I haven't found an option to redo it, no.

I think if you restart the level, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to cut back up to it and it'll probably work again I'd think.

I just had another issue. Game crashed again and instead of starting off at the last checkpoint, it started the game from start all over again. Oh boy :( TONS of technical issues on my end. Might be due to myself being on a notebook with an Intel chip (in addition to a proper Nvidia graphics chip).

Oh and for clarification, the gameboy levels aren't pixelated (unless they change the way they look). It's just the normal graphics with a green filter and some plain textures. I think it looks cool, but it's not actually trying to recreate gameboy stuff exactly.
Yeah, not actually 8 bit. Dont like the visual style of those levels all that much tbh.

I just had another issue. Game crashed again and instead of starting off at the last checkpoint, it started the game from start all over again. Oh boy :( TONS of technical issues on my end. Might be due to myself being on a notebook with an Intel chip (in addition to a proper Nvidia graphics chip).
I'm playing on a laptop, but I haven't had any technical issues so far. That stinks though :(
Yeah, not actually 8 bit. Dont like the visual style of those levels all that much tbh.
I just love that green color, so yeah it might just be me lol.

Toma

Generally liking the direction, but it seems like those guys really are in need of some bug testing..

Tried that first minigame again, time ran out but I continued to play it and still won it.

And I dont know when its save to exit. How to I know I reached a checkpoint?

1-D_FTW

Well, first bad news. The game apparently does not support Intel graphic chips and those might stir up some trouble with this game. Game crashed on me 3 times now in 30 minutes. And I even have an nvidia graphics card in this notebook (in addition to the onboard intel graphics chip).

Bleh, annoying.

Maybe because it's an OpenGL game?

Ah, that sucks. Still going to get it.

Toma

Maybe because it's an OpenGL game?

No idea why, but after starting up the game I immediately get a message "Well, sorry! Intel graphics is not supported! Might work, might not."

Great, guys. I think this warrants a mention on the steam store page, or the OP here actually.

On a more positive note: I absolutely love the sense of exploration this game provides. Usually games have the problem of having too obvious paths, here you need to make them yourself. This is a game where the "gimmick" actually works really in favor of the game.

Its really unfortunate that the game seems to punish you for exploration. Exploration in generally rewards you with items, but they are also risky since you might fall to your death or get crushed. And when that happens you might lose a whole lot of progress over which you have no influence. Very badly designed.

syoaran

Clocked the game. Enjoyed it to the end and I actually have a desire to go back and find the secrets.

I kinda stand by what I said early, the game is very trial and error. Towards the end game the blocks you need to cut down are quite small and due to the physics in game the rocks could either

- Land properly
- Fall down into the abyss because you suck
- Jump all over the place and squish you

It's fairly random and that seeps into the mini games as well. But overall, for a cheap indie game - this was a lot of fun.

Also, Screenshots:
7404558562_7911528aa6_b.jpg

7404558204_bf5f3f2ab4_b.jpg

7404558116_8fc6e470fc_b.jpg

7404559096_81fe8da7f9_b.jpg

And while it shows the last level, it's got to be my favorite screen - and in 1920x1080 wallpaper size:
SPOILERS:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5447/7404558804_1587f455fe_o.jpg

Toma

My wireless reciever broke so i dont think ill get it til i can use my controller

Just saw that it supports controllers... Might switch to that control option.

syoaran

Generally liking the direction, but it seems like those guys really are in need of some bug testing..

Tried that first minigame again, time ran out but I continued to play it and still won it.

And I dont know when its save to exit. How to I know I reached a checkpoint?

You'll hear a little scratch in the audio track, much in the same way when you pick up a rock. I agree with you that some of the checkpoints are rather poorly placed, but I attribute that to being swamped with checkpoints at other points of the game.

Toma

You'll hear a little scratch in the audio track, much in the same way when you pick up a rock. I agree with you that some of the checkpoints are rather poorly placed, but I attribute that to being swamped with checkpoints at other points of the game.

Thanks!

Too bad that its dragged down by such issues. Finally finished the first level after almost 2 hours. Most of that was due to technical issues/restarts :(

But the gameplay is definitely fun and engaging, plus the visual style is ace. Just crashed again. 5th time in 2 hours. Sigh.

Edit:My current error! [buffer:196:error] failed to allocate 9,707,840 bytes of buffer memory. Size of all buffers: 280,572,744

syoaran

Does anyone have an estimate for the length?

No more than 4 hours for a gamer dedicated to clearing the story. The game leads you by the nose for the most part. I imagine getting 100% is going to take a lot of exploration, which I think is the idea behind the game (and most of the achievements)

Top Bottom