• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Hige

Jasoco said:
Does anyone else keep their apartments at the top instead of the bottom? Or place businesses near like businsses? Like the Day Spa next to the Barber Shop or the Mapple Store and Game Store? Maybe also with the Arcade and Video Rental? Or a Bank and a Pharmacy to make shopping easier?
I keep my apartments at the top since they're useless once you fill them up. A few days ago I finally spent close to 40 bux organizing my tower by store type. It was painful to part with that many bux, but it was worth it because the Where's Waldo minigame is getting insane now that I have 45 stores. It still takes a while to find the bitizens even though I color coded them.

Jasoco said:
Is there any drawback to building more of one store type than is currently in demand? Up until now I've built each type one at a time in a loop. But was wondering if one were to only build food stores for a while, then all creative, then all etc and so on would it hurt your earnings or does the demand not actually matter like it does in Sim City where if you build too many residential zones they won't develop. Will TT do this where too many food stores will result in them not getting enough business? Or is it all random?
Supposedly demand affects your sales per minute. The guy that wrote that has been posting a lot of calculations to suss out how to maximize efficiency so he's probably credible. I keep my stores built evenly just to be safe. Even though I don't like the Food shops, they've given me quite a few bux from the full stock bonuses so they're still worthwhile.

Hmmm, don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that I am not the only wasting my time on this game.

Also, does it make it worse or better that I refuse to spend any real money on this game. Saving up for elevators takes forever though. Lose lose I suppose.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wow this guy is straight donkey jizz

tinytowerworstbitizenever.png

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Hige said:
I keep my apartments at the top since they're useless once you fill them up. A few days ago I finally spent close to 40 bux organizing my tower by store type. It was painful to part with that many bux, but it was worth it because the Where's Waldo minigame is getting insane now that I have 45 stores. It still takes a while to find the bitizens even though I color coded them.

Supposedly demand affects your sales per minute. The guy that wrote that has been posting a lot of calculations to suss out how to maximize efficiency so he's probably credible. I keep my stores built evenly just to be safe. Even though I don't like the Food shops, they've given me quite a few bux from the full stock bonuses so they're still worthwhile.

Apartments aren't useless if you keep a max of 4 residents in them. If you're filling them up entirely, you're missing out on free spacebucks whenever someone takes an elevator to that floor.

So if you're not concerned about getting bucks by fully stocking floors, if your primary goal is making money, should you only stock lev 3 items?

BTW, I have uneven demand in my tower. 3 Food floors, 14 Service floors, 4 Recreation floors, 2 Retail, and 1 Creative floor. 68 bitizens, 65 dream jobs. My sales/min in the stats is around 275-280. Is that about right or is it low because I'm not meeting the demand of a comparable tower? I seem to be building 1-2 floors a day without heavy play time.

I'm pretty sure demand is only based on how many of each floor you have. It's demand for jobs not demand for sales. I could be wrong, I have 5 of each type + apartments.

Sales per minute varies depending on how well stocked you are. Last night I had almost of all my floors fully stocked and was getting around 500 sales per minute at 70 dream jobs, but right now I'm restocking everything so it's only around 200.

Eggo said:
Apartments aren't useless if you keep a max of 4 residents in them. If you're filling them up entirely, you're missing out on free spacebucks whenever someone takes an elevator to that floor.
What?

Jasoco

Banned
brotkasten said:
You sure? Maybe he's from Norway and listens to metal? That would explain the long hair, imo.
Even though "Jamie" is also a males name, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that it's a girl.

But we'll never know. Never. Ever. Because we could both be right. But probably not because I am right. And you are not. But we'll never know.

Im right. Believe it.

InertiaXr

Eggo said:
BTW, I have uneven demand in my tower. 3 Food floors, 14 Service floors, 4 Recreation floors, 2 Retail, and 1 Creative floor. 68 bitizens, 65 dream jobs. My sales/min in the stats is around 275-280. Is that about right or is it low because I'm not meeting the demand of a comparable tower? I seem to be building 1-2 floors a day without heavy play time.
I have 5 food, 5 service, 4 recreation, 5 retail, 6 creative, and 70 bitizens with 43 dream jobs, and I am usually around 375-380 sales/min. I have significantly more sales than you do, but you also have more service floors which have pretty high stock levels so you are having to maintain your tower less in an overall sense than I am. If you have the time available to check your tower pretty often, I think having even distribution of floor types is the best strategy. But also if you only check it maybe 3-4 times a day, having those high stock levels is better, as you are slowly but steadily selling those out, rather than selling lower quantity stock levels faster. Selling 1000 over 10 hours is better than selling 400 in 2 hours, but then not restocking until that 10 hour mark.

Jasoco said:
Even though "Jamie" is also a males name, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that it's a girl.

But we'll never know. Never. Ever. Because we could both be right. But probably not because I am right. And you are not. But we'll never know.

Im right. Believe it.
It's okay. I have the bigger tower, I'm right.

Chopper

Eggo said:
I don't think this is right. As far as I'm aware, you don't get bucks for filling apartments, like you do stock. You should fill them up to 5. The only need for space comes from grinding for bucks, and you only really need one gap total for that!

Eggo said:
That's super low, I think. I have about 20 stores (4 of each type) and I average around 300+ a minute.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Chopper said:
I don't think this is right. As far as I'm aware, you don't get bucks for filling apartments, like you do stock. You should fill them up to 5. The only need for space comes from grinding for bucks, and you only really need one gap total for that!
If you have 5 people in an apt, if you send someone there via elevator, you lose that person. If I send them there with 4 people, I potentially fill a dream job and get 3 space bucks and evict someone to maintain the 4 person limit.

Chopper

Eggo said:
If you have 5 people in an apt, if you send someone there via elevator, you lose that person. If I send them there with 4 people, I potentially fill a dream job and get 3 space bucks and evict someone to maintain the 4 person limit.
Oh, I see. I don't have the patience for that. i just keep one space free and hammer the "get bitizen" button over and over until I get a dream job. I made 125 bucks this evening, just cos I had nothing better to do in front of the telly.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Aquavelvaman said:
I'm pretty sure demand is only based on how many of each floor you have. It's demand for jobs not demand for sales. I could be wrong, I have 5 of each type + apartments.

Sales per minute varies depending on how well stocked you are. Last night I had almost of all my floors fully stocked and was getting around 500 sales per minute at 70 dream jobs, but right now I'm restocking everything so it's only around 200.
I think you're right on both counts. I suspect demand is only about the number of floor types you have.

Also, I stocked a few more stores and my sales are around 320. I'm never going to have a fully stocked tower because I purposely keep some floors only stocked with lev 3 items (the doctor's office is an instant 90,000 if a big spender VIP shows).

Cmagus

almost at floor 11 and one dream job now.Tough to keep up with now seems like everytime I come back to it everything is empty and I spend tons to restock everything lol.Also need a new elevator seems like everyone who comes to mine wants to go to floors 8-10 takes so long

Hige

Eggo said:
That seems a little low. I have 9 of each shop (45 total) and my sales per min is around 750-800.

The developer has submitted the next update to Apple.

Version 1.2 Update Notes:

- Rename your floors! You can now rename floors by tapping on the white box in each floor's menu screen.
- New VIP! The Real Estate Agent VIP will move a new bitizen into the apartment of your choosing.
- 5 new businesses to discover!
- Tap the top of the screen to auto scroll to the top of your tower.
- Attempted to fix issue where floors are stuck in construction.
- Fixed some sound issues.
- Game is now saved more often.
- Improved More Bux store connectivity.
- Game data now saved in un-encrypted device backups.
- Added warning to game reset.
- Changed dream job reward to 1 bux.

Looks like I'm not updating! Also, the new VIP sounds annoying unless it only appears when you actually have vacant apartments.

Hige said:
- Changed dream job reward to 1 bux.

Looks like I'm not updating! Also, the new VIP sounds annoying unless it only appears when you actually have vacant apartments.
Hmm, that is rubbish. But I want those new businesses! Oh well, it's not like Bux are that hard to get and I think it was an essential change, really, because once you get enough floors you can evict someone and be almost guaranteed a dream jobber will replace them. You can just farm Bux this way by constant eviction and hiring.

The new VIP won't be any more annoying than getting a construction worker when you've got nothing constructing, etc.

Wrestlemania said:
I think you should all stop playing and find something better to spend your time on. It is literally a waste of time.
I think you should shut the hell up and let people enjoy doing something if they enjoy doing it.

Chopper said:
Also, there's no way I'm updating!
Once you get everyone in dream jobs you're not going to notice the change anyway because you weren't getting that bonus unless you were cheating. Just get apartments built NOW before the update hits!

Everyone will update if the new business are cool =P

Chopper

toythatkills said:
Once you get everyone in dream jobs you're not going to notice the change anyway because you weren't getting that bonus unless you were cheating. Just get apartments built NOW before the update hits!

Everyone will update if the new business are cool =P
I always keep one space in my apartments so that I can grind for more bucks, if not for dream jobs. No cheating, honest! I managed to make enough bucks for 300,000 coins yesterday. The update will stop that from happening. :(

As you get more floors though you start making 100,000 coins in like, two-three hours if you're stocked. You could probably make more than that by dream job cheating but still, the Bux seem to take on less and less importance as you move up the tower.

You could just have an epic cheating session before you update and then leave it at that.

And I'll just say the word "cheating" one more time for luck. Cheating. =P

Wallach

Wrestlemania said:
I think you should all stop playing and find something better to spend your time on. It is literally a waste of time.

Few video games escape that fate in the literal sense.

Chopper

toythatkills said:
As you get more floors though you start making 100,000 coins in like, two-three hours if you're stocked. You could probably make more than that by dream job cheating but still, the Bux seem to take on less and less importance as you move up the tower.

You could just have an epic cheating session before you update and then leave it at that.

And I'll just say the word "cheating" one more time for luck. Cheating. =P
How many levels are you at? Are you my GC buddy?

I've been quite militant about dream jobs and ramping up my levels lately, partially due to competing on GameCenter. Now I'm towards the very top of my list, I might slow down a bit, lessening my rapid requirement for coins. But farming for dream jobs, if not bucks, can't be considered "cheating" can it? That won't be any fun either now.

Chopper said:
How many levels are you at? Are you my GC buddy?

I've been quite militant about dream jobs and ramping up my levels lately, partially due to competing on GameCenter. Now I'm towards the very top of my list, I might slow down a bit, lessening my rapid requirement for coins. But farming for dream jobs, if not bucks, can't be considered "cheating" can it? That won't be any fun either now.
I'm at 51 at the moment.

I wouldn't say that farming for dream jobs is cheating, but there were people that were filling up their towers with dream jobs, evicting everyone, and then doing it again and getting the three-Bux bonuses all over again. Then just constantly repeating the cycle for infinite Bux. If you've got enough floors you're practically guaranteed a three-bux return for your one-bux investment. That's cheating

soqquatto

I'm kinda miffed by this. the pixel art hooked me at first as the simple mechanic and all the nice extra touches (bitbook et al). after reaching the 30th floor though I realized there is no game at all. you just have to babysit the inevitable outcome of things without making any real decision, my actions were not having any effect. what is this? it's not a "game", it's not even a "toy". it's more of a pretty shiny thing that looks nice but has no substance. I started strong "power leveling" my tower but after three days straight I felt... empty, and just quit.
my 2c.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
toythatkills said:
They're the top grossing app on the app store, I imagine they're doing fine. They're just cutting off the cheaters is all.
I'm confused, is there actual "cheating" going on, or are people talking about the process of evicting bitizens until you get one you can put into a dream job? That's not really cheating is it? It's just a rapid fire version of what you'd be doing getting people into those dream jobs anyway. Having said that, the developers are perfectly within their rights to change the reward if they want people buying more tower bux. Yesterday I evicted someone on their birthday. Ice cold.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
soqquatto said:
I'm kinda miffed by this. the pixel art hooked me at first as the simple mechanic and all the nice extra touches (bitbook et al). after reaching the 30th floor though I realized there is no game at all. you just have to babysit the inevitable outcome of things without making any real decision, my actions were not having any effect. what is this? it's not a "game", it's not even a "toy". it's more of a pretty shiny thing that looks nice but has no substance. I started strong "power leveling" my tower but after three days straight I felt... empty, and just quit.
my 2c.

you can copy paste this for literally any social game.

Stumpokapow said:
you can copy paste this for literally any social game.
But this isn't a social game. If it had any social aspects it might be more compelling, but there's nothing beyond seeing other player tower sizes. No strategy, no trading of bitizens to help build specific floors or restock special items. Nothing. Just waiting and building and shifting people around to make the numbers go up faster.

wetflame said:
I'm confused, is there actual "cheating" going on, or are people talking about the process of evicting bitizens until you get one you can put into a dream job? That's not really cheating is it? It's just a rapid fire version of what you'd be doing getting people into those dream jobs anyway. Having said that, the developers are perfectly within their rights to change the reward if they want people buying more tower bux. Yesterday I evicted someone on their birthday. Ice cold.
As above, it's not that people are evicting useless bitizens so they can put someone in a dream job. It's that people are evicting bitizens that are already in dream jobs so that they can replace them with another bitizen and get the dream job bonus again and again and again. You can just keep filling your tower with dream jobs, evicting everyone, then filling your tower with dream jobs again and get constant Bux. You're near guaranteed a huge profit with enough floors, even if you pay 1 Bux to move in every bitizen.

Wrestlemania said:
But this isn't a social game. If it had any social aspects it might be more compelling, but there's nothing beyond seeing other player tower sizes. No strategy, no trading of bitizens to help build specific floors or restock special items. Nothing. Just waiting and building and shifting people around to make the numbers go up faster.
It's not as pointless as constantly reading and posting in a thread for a game you suggest you have literally no interest in. Troll elsewhere.

Wrestlemania said:
I built 30 floors. Am I not allowed an opinion on it? Are you going to refute anything I've said?
Why would I? I find enjoyment in the things in Tiny Tower that you don't enjoy. That's fine. You find enjoyment in telling people that like Tiny Tower that they're not living their lives properly. Whatever. Seems like you're still getting enjoyment from the game if you're enjoying posting about it, though.

But what are you actually enjoying? I was playing a lot, then when I stepped back and thought about it all I could think was "What the fuck is this shit?". It's genuinely far less of a game than Farmville

Wrestlemania said:
But what are you actually enjoying? I was playing a lot, then when I stepped back and thought about it all I could think was "What the fuck is this shit?". It's genuinely far less of a game than Farmville
I am enjoying the style. I am enjoying building new floors and the surprise when it opens and you see what it is. I am enjoying putting bitizens in their dream jobs and making them happy. I am enjoying watching my tower grow. I am enjoying the ease at which you can play and how suited it is to the iPhone. I am enjoying the humour in Bitbook. I am enjoying that I can spend probably less than ten-fifteen minutes a day in the game a minute at a time between other activities, while still getting all of this out of it.

I know it's not a "game" in any literal sense and I don't play it as a game. It's hardly an argument for something not to be enjoyable. If I sit and listen to a CD for forty minutes am I wasting my time because at the end of it I haven't achieved anything? You've no right to tell people what they can and can't enjoy spending their time doing, so don't.

angelfly

I really wish it could auto stock something you have ready to be stocked. I'll have things on order for every shop and then forget to check back in and see if it's delivered and come back to every store out of stock.

Tobor

It's a fun time waster. I leave it running at work sometimes, or grind the elevator while watching tv. It's no different to me than playing drop7 or solitaire for hours.

Top Bottom