• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanQuest II Announced | THQ Nordic 2023 Showcase

Draugoth

Gold Member
Titan Quest II is once again set in Ancient Greece as depicted in Greek mythology. Not surprisingly, for those familiar with the subject, the main focus of the story will be fate, who is involved in changing it, and what it means to people. More specifically, Nemesis, Goddess of Retribution, is out of control. She is corrupting the Threads of Fate and punishing all who oppose her. It goes without saying that it is up to the player to stop Nemesis.

The new installment will be powered by Unreal Engine 5 and features an open world structure with lots of verticality that can be explored with a divine mount called the Areion. There will also be a day and night cycle.

One of the changes from other hack-and-slash action RPGs like Diablo or Path of Exile will focus on more strategic combat. It will still be fast but less of a clickfest than allowing players more leeway in tactical gameplay.

Nemesis, Goddess of Retribution, is out of control. She is corrupting the Threads of Fate and condemning all those who oppose her to eternal punishment. Take up your weapon, fight alongside gods, and change fate itself in Titan Quest II, an action RPG inspired by Greek mythology. Return to the classic mythology-inspired setting of Titan Quest in this upcoming action RPG from the creators of SpellForce 3. Featuring a flexible character system, meaningful loot, challenging combat, and online multiplayer in a handcrafted and immersive world, Titan Quest II is an epic action RPG for a new generation – coming to PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Wild that this is happening. Always heard so much about the first game. Definitely interested! That cinematic was so good.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Will this one also have me running for 3 hours on the great chinese wall, fighting the same enemies? Seriously... TQ offended me with it's grind

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The only thing I remember about the first game was that I played it until the final boss of the normal game (aka not the expansion) and had to quit because he was so ridiculously overpowered that I had to go back and grind for several hours just to make a dent on him. Trash game design at it‘s best.

Last edited:

Catphish

Microsoft Nod GIF by Xbox

simpatico

Publishers are really still wasting money on CGI trailers without gameplay. I wonder what metric they use for this to make fiscal or marketing sense.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Curious which route they’ll go with this. Arpg without end game or try to compete with the likes of PoE and Diablo.

The first game is like $6 on all platforms. Tried the first 20 minutes on my ps5 of the only version available which is ps4 and it was fine. Felt dated AF. Not in a good way but it ran and played fine… just not as exceptional as Diablo 2 resurrected.

Ozzie666

Wow, what year is it. The first Titan Quest was pretty good, separated itself enough from Diablo 2 and brought some new twists. The setting for the game was a nice take on the genre as well. Greek Mythos to start, with each act changing to other pantheons. The expansions were good as well. Maybe I've been too hard on THQ Nordic with all these announcements but this one is interesting. I generally put this a head of path of exile.

Gandih42

Loved the first game, absolute fun janky greatness. And Grim Dawn was an excellent follow up from the same studio.

I hope they don't overdesign it aka Diablo 3/4, and keep the itemization weird and fun. Titan Quest was the perfect odd brother to Diablo 2 that didn't quite have it together, but was super fun.

Gandih42

Loved the first game. Excited to see how this turns out.

I remember leveling up the fireball spell, and with each level the ball and blast got visually bigger. You still dont see that often, where the same skill has a new visual impact as it gets more powerful.
This is one of my favorite things games can do, and I feel like so few do it. It makes it 10x more exciting to incrementally upgrade skills.

A good example of how 'cosmetic' things are part of gameplay, IMO. Visual changes that reflect your character getting stronger are so much more satisfying, be it gear or effects.

Amazing... Can't wait. Been a fan of the first tiran quest since it launched years ago. Now if we get a Sacred reboot or proper sequel Id be in arpg heaven.

whyman

Loved the first game, absolute fun janky greatness. And Grim Dawn was an excellent follow up from the same studio.

I hope they don't overdesign it aka Diablo 3/4, and keep the itemization weird and fun. Titan Quest was the perfect odd brother to Diablo 2 that didn't quite have it together, but was super fun.
I think it’s important to point out that this is not the same studio. Still im hopeful they can create a fresh addition.

Oberstein

I'm a sucker for ancient Greece.

The age is so rich, I wish developers would take this period more often and make games out of it (excluding Ubi).

Rhazkul

I am going to keep an eye on this but i am not hyped.
Unpopular opinion but i think Titan Quest 1 was/is extremely overrated. Gameplay is slow and sluggish, there's no random generated dungeons/world, and it takes forever until your build comes together, itemization was lacking too. Never played the expansions.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Cinematic looks like they really love Inarius's wings :messenger_grinning_smiling:
But Titan Quest was great and i would apreciate a sequel.

Last edited:
You think current Blizzard could pull it off?
I believe that Starcraft III exists, but not as an RTS or as an MMO. I spoke to Mike Ybarra (Blizzard CEO) on his twitch streams (yes, he streams occasional and talks to the community in chat) he said that Starcraft fans won't be left in the dust and that are things in the pipeline. This was about a year ago.
Stream - www.twitch.tv/qwik

Whether they can pull it off or not is hard to answer. World of Warcraft right now is best it's ever been. Diablo 4 is pretty good minus the shit patch they did that they are now reverting. Overwatch 2 has the shittiest dev and most atrocious dev team.

It will depend on their internal team of whoever handles the Starcraft IP. The Old Blizzard doesn't exist anymore just like the original Bioware or DICE don't exist either.

Last edited:

Roberts

The only thing I remember about the first game was that I played it until the final boss of the normal game (aka not the expansion) and had to quit because he was so ridiculously overpowered that I had to go back and grind for several hours just to make a dent on him. Trash game design at it‘s best.

The same thing happened to me but after grinding for a while, I just gave up. Other than that, I really enjoyed the game.

Hudo

I believe that Starcraft III exists, but not as an RTS or as an MMO. I spoke to Mike Ybarra (Blizzard CEO) on his twitch streams (yes, he streams occasional and talks to the community in chat) he said that Starcraft fans won't be left in the dust and that are things in the pipeline. This was about a year ago.

Whether they can pull it off or not is hard to answer. World of Warcraft right now is best it's ever been. Diablo 4 is pretty good minus the shit patch they did that they are now reverting. Overwatch 2 has the shittiest dev and most atrocious dev team.

It will depend on their internal team of whoever handles the Starcraft IP. The Old Blizzard doesn't exist anymore just like the original Bioware or DICE don't exist either.
That's cool. If you happen to get a chance to talk to him again, could you ask them what the fuck happened with WarCraft 3 Reforged and why they aren't re-remaking it properly? Are they really OK with this piece of shit as their official version for WarCraft 3?

Ben87fr

Haha same thing hapenned to me only i just quit and never played it again, fuck this game

Back in the day, I played about 45 hours of Titan Quest. For most games, I would consider that adequate, if I could even get that much out of it. Since Anniversary Edition came out, I have played about 1000 hours. Still a bunch of stuff I could do if I wanted to get back into it. It has shown its age, though they have given it some quality of life updates, but I still enjoyed the gameplay and the mythological setting. This is much more compelling to me than a new Diablo.

Typhon can be obnoxious, but also can be beaten without much or any grinding (but grinding helps), though you have to figure out how to deal with him because he has multiple overpowered abilities. The first time I beat him, I died several times doing so. At least he doesn't regen after he kills you. I could see why this would turn some people off, though. There are some old school elements in this game that can be annoying.

Last edited:

GinSama

Not enough love here for the series... Loved the first one plus expansions....in fact I will pay again the old games before the new one come out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Inevitable. I'll definitely check it out, enjoyed the first, but I don't have much faith in Nordic.

countnemo

Neo Member

Are you serious about WoW being "the best it has ever been" or are you joking?

Top Bottom