• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLoU Part II is on sale for $20. I never played it. Do I want to?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Agreed, while TLoU flirted with RE's obvious (and admitted) influence, TLoU2 is practically an homage.

I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. I know people think the game is overlong and there's not enough tie in between the two segments, but I dunno. Pacing aside, it was one of my favorite design elements in this game. It reminded me of RE because of the differences in character attributes, attacks, and weapons available. I mean, Abby and Ellie play mostly the same, but for a single player experience as long as TLOU2, the little bit of variation was welcome. I still think it would have been better received if there were a credit sequence after Ellie's portion and the ability to select Abby's bit at the player's will. You'd have to retool a lot of the narrative, but I'd be interested in visiting the alternate universe where this was a thing.

I have it in my cart along with these other games:

The Last of Us Part II​

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope​

Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes​

The Sinking City: Necronomicon Edition​

I play games, not reviewers/fanboys. At the end of the day, I must be the one who judges if a game is good or bad and accept the price for playing said game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you played the first game then you might as well play the second game, I personally was disappointed with story but gameplay is much better than first game every way.

Don't if you value TLOU1's character personalities/motives etc. They got fucked to suit the narrative and subvert expectations.

Wait for Factions 2. Hopefully its all gameplay, no story.

Edit: I still love that TLOU gameplay engine, and was impressed with the accessibility options. I mean I was able to tell the game to let me punch whilst aiming, as a preferance choice. Which was great because that's my panic move on TLOU1 Factions. I did something else, I think it was to do with marking enemies, but I can't remember anymore. I was impressed.

I seriously hope TLOU Factions Online (Does it even have a name?) keeps the gameplay and lets the story minimal. I already expect TLOU1 Remake to further futz with established characters to bring them in line with TLOU2's portryal.

It is unfair to the gameplay engine to be shackled to the narrative. #BringBackBruce
I finished the game the other day and saw that in the credits Narrative Lead was Haley Gross which is why the story is such shit. She has her own title card in the credits along side the co-written title card with her and Druckman. I just hope for Part 3 we get to play as Tommy and it completes the trilogy in an epic way redeeming itself. I loved the first game even though the plot is still pretty cliche but in all honestly that's probably why I liked it. It kept things simple.

I just want to play as Tommy. And I want to see Jackson get carpet bombed by a restored, decommissioned B-17.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

I have it in my cart along with these other games:

The Last of Us Part II​

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope​

Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes​

The Sinking City: Necronomicon Edition​

I play games, not reviewers/fanboys. At the end of the day, I must be the one who judges if a game is good or bad and accept the price for playing said game.
yes sir

Neff

It reminded me of RE because of the differences in character attributes, attacks, and weapons available.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. When you get to Abby's section it becomes obvious. The way you have two characters who play differently going through many of the same areas and meeting up at the end is incredibly RE-like. Not to mention that there are so many sections which just straight up steal from RE including all its tension-setting tricks- the hospital section being probably the most blatant example. I also liked the way Abby essentially replaces Joel in the same way Leon replaced Chris in terms of her abilities and weapons being more or less the same. Very video game-y.

Druckmann has gone on record numerous times stating how big a fan he is of RE and how influential it was on TLoU, but Part 2 felt like his love letter to that series.

EruditeHobo

I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. I know people think the game is overlong and there's not enough tie in between the two segments, but I dunno. Pacing aside, it was one of my favorite design elements in this game.

It's at least a criticism that has merit, IMO. TLOU2 does have some pacing issues. Whether or not it's part of the point (I think it is), it still can have a negative effect on a certain kind of gamer. I get that! I understand someone having a negative reaction to it and it coloring their overall opinion.

But many other criticisms are often baseless and/or nonsensical.

Last edited:

Brigandier

I found Ellie became an annoying prick in the game who deserves getting fucked up, Abbys inclusion and reason for revenge was meh.

The story was utter drivel and felt like it dragged on and on it wasn't very memorable compared to the firsts story and characters.

Trans kid, Butch woman, Lesbian sex scenes, It's just a fucking video game ffs I hate this kinda shit.

Stunning graphics and locale, gameplay was fine, Abby no where near as bad as people made out, In the end I liked her more than Ellie who is just a whiney little shit.

Was a great way of shitting on fans of the original and its characters.

Short Answer less Moaning: Is it worth 20 bucks? Yes

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Yes, you want to. The game is as woke as it gets
17840106.jpg

Kssio_Aug

I don't know what I messed up here, but my previous post was supposed to be posted here.

Anyway, by the little I played it seems easy to recommend at this price! The gameplay is very good, there are tons of good accessibility settings, and it's a sequence of one of the best PS3 titles. It's also quite brutal! :messenger_astonished:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If I listened to the haters who have obviously not playing the game as it released, I would’ve not played this amazing experience.
The pre release hate spurred me so much, the game had to win me over and all I had to do was to be less stubborn and a bit open minded.
Just play with open mind and relax

Just for the fact the game is pushing an ideology is enough not to play it. Go on youtube and read the story if interested. They did my boy Joe really dirty and that makes it unforgiveable.
I hope you have this energy for every patriotic FPS where the USA invades...some place outside of america...you knows, actual political games.

3liteDragon

I saw most of the spoilers going into the game, I had it pre-ordered the moment pre-orders dropped & I was kinda disappointed before I started playing it thinking to myself they really might've fucked up this time but I still had some hope that things would change after I fully finish the game, waited for this game for literally 3+ years. Became my GOTG after 2 full playthroughs (second time for the plat), the only complaint I have is the pacing during the second half of the game. Otherwise it's an absolute masterpiece.

But playing through this game for the second time for the plat knowing full well what's gonna happen was still hard to get through, the story's that depressing. Not a game with much replay value due to the content.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
The only thing stopping me is the cut scenes (I've been told they're unskippable?). And no it's not some sort of anti-woke thing. I just don't enjoy cutscenes in games and always want to get right into the gameplay.

Yeah sounds weird considering this is basically The showcase for the best acting and animation in this industry, I've just never enjoyed stories in my games. I can't wait to skip em.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

If anything play it for the technical wizardry that is ND. It's a gorgeous game, I'm playing UC4 PS5 version and it looks amazing. T2 looks and plays better.

EDMIX

I played the first one and really enjoyed it.

I've watched the commotion about the second from a distance and was put off enough from what I read to refrain from buying it.

$20 isn't horrible, but I don't want to waste my time with crap. The gameplay seems to be similar to the first, which is fine.

So, simple question: Is the story worth playing through? I'm a big boy, and don't need a story to cater to my sensibilities. I only need it to be good.

Is it a good story? Is it well-told with good pacing and interesting character arcs? Is it worth the 20+ hour investment?

I know the big stink is what happens to Joel. I can live with that, if the story that follows is good. But I do not want another 'subverts expectations for the sake of it' trip.

So what sez you?

Its a solid buy.

The gameplay is eons beyond the first in terms of complexity. The first is like semi RE4 type feels, Part 2 gets so deep its starts going to MGS territory in terms of stealth, combat etc Its a massive leap.

The story imho is amazing, but you have to play it for yourself. Goes into deep tribalism concepts into sides, like who is the villain in someone else story.

Topher Topher Probably makes the best point regarding this.

In my personal opinion it's probably one of the greatest stories ever told in a video game not just in regards to the contexts of what's happening but how the story itself is told.

I remember saying when this game first came out that enough is going on with perspectives that you're going to see people talking about this game for years to come... the fact that you continue to have multiple pages of threads talking about this game is a testament to its story.

Trust me folks you don't have us going on a multiple fucking Pages talking about Metal Gear Solid 5 weird story years after release that was let go so quickly it's not even funny lol

Ghost of tsushima is the story so good you see us going on years later having multiple Pages talkin about conflicting ideas and different ideologies? So to be honest with you a testament to an amazing story might be the fact that we continuously go back talkin about the events of this game at length.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Is it a good story? Is it well-told with good pacing and interesting character arcs? Is it worth the 20+ hour investment?
Eh no. Its standard revenge plot with so-so characters.
I know the big stink is what happens to Joel. I can live with that, if the story that follows is good. But I do not want another 'subverts expectations for the sake of it' trip.
Thats basically what happens. Without spoiling it, game acts as if it somehow invented the notion of antagonists with personal motivations. Its kinda bizarre even, they handled the whole idea as if its some shocking thing no sensible person ever thinks about, or no one ever saw before in entertainment. That wouldn't be much of a problem if the new characters were at least good, but to me their personalities and further developments felt straight out of a 80s horror b-movie.

Last edited:
The only thing stopping me is the cut scenes (I've been told they're unskippable?). And no it's not some sort of anti-woke thing. I just don't enjoy cutscenes in games and always want to get right into the gameplay.

Yeah sounds weird considering this is basically The showcase for the best acting and animation in this industry, I've just never enjoyed stories in my games. I can't wait to skip em.
If you are going to be skiping the cut scenes neither this game or the original TLoU are for you.

Skiping cutscenes never made any sense, I can't even beging to understand why someone would do that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, TLOUP2 was disappointing because even though it ended up as an overall 8.5/10 game, the story and characters were so disappointing especially after the original 2013 game. Visuals 10/10, Audio 10/10, Gameplay 9/10 and Story 5/10. Absolutely hated the story, all the characters became shit and the ending is why I believe games MUST be completed before being rated and reviewed. Before the ending, I was looking at a 7/10 for the story because I was expecting a satisfying payoff but it never happened and I was like, so I played 40+ hours of this game with shitty pacing and never get the ending I was hoping for. Felt like I wasted my time.

Aside from the story and characters, everything else is superb or excellent. No real issues or negatives with the rest of the game. While the gameplay/combat isn't revolutionary in any way, shape or form, it is an evolution of the first game to where it feels and plays so much better than the original game. This aspect is what kept me playing the game to completion.

I am more hyped for the highly rumored TLOU Remake. Really hoping they don't fuck up the already established story and characters. Give me the same story/characters with the visuals, audio, combat and gameplay of TLOUP2 and I will be very happy.

With all of that said, I would say that for $20, I would still recommend it because the vast majority of the game is excellent and a lot of people like/love the story/characters. I'm just not one of them.

EDMIX

Cause the gameplay looks incredible.

well...I know many gamers that really do play this way and The Last Of Us 2's gameplay is amazing, they make a fun world to play and explore in so...if the story isn't for you, then so be it I guess lol

A lot of it is deeply about that narrative, but you can still have fun with its gameplay alone if you feel just and yes, it is incredible. The gunplay is like nothing I've ever played before.

We don't even have a close second to how great this game feels and plays.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Yes! Every human being on the planet needs to experience the Last of Us II game AND the first one series for that matter. Steam, let's go!

If I may add, a "survival" mode would be fun. Whereas you and some friends (up to 4) try to survive each level by placing traps, boarding up doors and windows, starting fires for warmth (or traps) then hunkering down as the onslaught beings; waves of infected. Every 5 waves a boss encounter (Rat King, Bloaters, Stalkers, Clickers, Seraphites, Shamblers, etc). Varying location(s) from both LoU and LoUII

I played the first one and really enjoyed it.

I've watched the commotion about the second from a distance and was put off enough from what I read to refrain from buying it.

$20 isn't horrible, but I don't want to waste my time with crap. The gameplay seems to be similar to the first, which is fine.

So, simple question: Is the story worth playing through? I'm a big boy, and don't need a story to cater to my sensibilities. I only need it to be good.

So what sez you?
First game is way better, but sequel still has the one of the best gameplay ever made on man's history

Hoppa

You probably won’t like it, but at only $20 it’s worth a shot for the production value alone. At least when you post in every future LoU2 thread about the poor pacing of the story you can back it up with first hand experience

kyliethicc

I purchased TLOU2 for 14 dollars on ebay due to this thread,

then realized I should play TLOU remastered first and in my haste
ordered a reprinted box [NO GAME] for 10 whole dollars when the remastered goes for like 12 dollars sealed.

JGaHjJ1.jpg

q5Rvdx8.jpg
lol

TLOU remastered is $10 on PSN. Just buy it digitally

MachRc

kyliethicc

cool best buy has it for 10 bucks too!

I dont like buying digital as Id like to have the case and everything. Made sure I got the disc version of the PS5.

I dont know why but Im sort of hyped for the game now.
Or $10 physical too

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The first game I watched as a playthrough for a bit on Youtube a few years ago, but never got far with it..

MachRc

I just hope it not as long as Days Gone, that shit took me like 8 months to finish...

Had to wake up every weekend before the family got up to get in those extra few hours to finally ride out with Boozer to the next camp....
... and then the next
... and then the next.

Top Bottom