• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
60fps without dips is the right choice for a performance mode.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
60fps without dips is the right choice for a performance mode.
Miniscule dips that happen rarely, like those in the original PS4 remaster, did not affect gameplay in any appreciable way. You really have to be some kind of framerate nazi to prefer global, severe image quality degradation in exchange for ironing those out. I think having 1440p supersampling, even with those such small dips, would have faced a far better reception.

End even if you disagree with everything I said, they also botched the "image quality mode", at least on 1080p TVs.

The dips on the pro were not that bad to begin with, and now they removed supersampling even from 30 FPS mode? WTF is happening? I guess it's what people get when they keep bitching. Solutions don't have to be white or black. They should have dropped the resolution to 1440p for the performance mode and kept the supersampling or 4k resolution at 30 FPS. it's not rocket science. Honestly, I was fine with how it was performing on 1800p with performance mode.

Pimpbaa

Why would you do this? This makes no sense. People with 4k sets will still be getting the worse performance. Naughty Dog, NO ONE WITH A 1080p TV ASKED FOR THIS! Amazing that any developer would not see the value of supersampling.

Not gonna lie, as a 1080p TV owner I am pretty happy with locked 60fps and some hq shadows. But I am not feeling it was necessary to drop down the resolution to 1080p. 1440p seems to be the sweetspot but perhaps not. Either way giving people the choice would be the better move but this is not how things will work out at the end. Sadly.

Removing supersampling from the 4K30fps mode makes no sense at all though. It is completely pointless for 1080p TV owners now. Feels like punishment.

Not gonna lie, as a 1080p TV owner I am pretty happy with locked 60fps and some hq shadows. But I am not feeling it was necessary to drop down the resolution to 1080p. 1440p seems to be the sweetspot but perhaps not. Either way giving people the choice would be the better move but this is not how things will work out at the end. Sadly.

Removing supersampling from the 4K30fps mode makes no sense at all though. It is completely pointless for 1080p TV owners now. Feels like punishment.

People complained about 3 fps drop. They got what they wanted.

Miniscule dips that happen rarely, like those in the original PS4 remaster, did not affect gameplay in any appreciable way. You really have to be some kind of framerate nazi to prefer global, severe image quality degradation in exchange for ironing those out. I think having 1440p supersampling, even with those such small dips, would have faced a far better reception.

End even if you disagree with everything I said, they also botched the "image quality mode", at least on 1080p TVs.

Most people prefer all the bells and whistles over a high framerate. It's a fact of the market.

Options are good. I have a sweet Sony 1080p TV with an amazing motion smoothing setting, so basically all games are 60fps. Give me the highest GFX possible as an option.

Yarbskoo

At least now the Pro version is completely superior to the one on PS4, so at least in that way it's an improvement.

Options are good. I have a sweet Sony 1080p TV with an amazing motion smoothing setting, so basically all games are 60fps. Give me the highest GFX possible as an option.

input latency tho

Did... they seriously go from 1800p all the way down to 1080p because the performance dropped 1-2 frames every now and then...?

Can't wait to see what Digital-Foundry has to say about this, I can't imagine this was the outcome they were hoping for when they made this known.

There is a saying be careful what you wish for, it just might come true.

People complained about 3 fps drop. They got what they wanted.

Stop spreading false information. The drops were much worse than that. It's also no excuse for removing supersampling from the 4k mode.

In performance mode its all about, well, performance. And they are reaching their target now with locked 60fps. That's a good thing. But it's questionable if the drop to 1080p was needed for that.

And no one asked for butchering the 4K mode on 1080p displays.

Vashetti

Banned

tumblr_mogjc9N7MI1snpc3lo1_500.gif

http://community.us.playstation.com...08-and-Left-Behind-1-02-Updates/td-p/46064531

1080p users (and only them) are now forced to 1080p native with high-quality shadows. Framerate should be locked 60fps.
But they removed supersampling from 1800p, so now it looks like image quality is worse and very jaggied.

Is the supersampling removed from the 30 fps mode (4k native) too?
To be verified.

You mean there is no 1080p mode at 30 FPS anymore, just 1080p at 60 FPS with best shadows?

What about those whith 4K TVs that choose 60 FPS mode at 1800p? Will they get the better shadows too? This patch is confusing.

Banned
Naughty Dog?

More like Naughty Frauds am I right guys?

G-guys?

Cmon it wasn't that bad of a joke.

This is exactly why I stay away from those shitty concern performance conversations, and just play the game. I was too busy being mesmerized by the pure crispness of the game, to care to even noticed any slight frame drops during extra busy scenes. I wish the option was still there, but hey atleast we have a "rock solid" frame rate we can boast about right?? 🙃 I get the reasoning behind some performance news(just cause 3) for games, but if a game has highly excellent image quality while keeping a solid frame rate throughout the MAJORITY of the hours playing it, I could care less about a few frame drops here and there. If it becomes that big of an obesssion/issue, it's time to build a beast rig and move on imo..

Yarbskoo

You mean there is no 1080p mode at 30 FPS anymore, just 1080p at 60 FPS with best shadows?

What about those whith 4K TVs that choose 60 FPS mode at 1800p? Will they get the better shadows too? This patch is confusing.

I think it's something like:

1080p
- PS4 performance mode, now with less drops and better shadows.
- Same as above, now with more cinematic framerate

- PS4 performance mode, now with more drops but less aliasing
- PS4 quality mode, now with less aliasing

I think it's something like:

1080p
- PS4 performance mode, now with less drops and better shadows.
- Same as above, now with more cinematic framerate

- PS4 performance mode, now with more drops but less aliasing
- PS4 quality mode, now with less aliasing

Weird combo.

I miss the super sampling. Fired up the game, 1080p tv and there's more noticeable aliasing and what not. :(

I wish this thread NEVER existed. 1800p super sampling was so damn smootn in IQ and 50-60 FPS wasnt an issue at all. WTF man.

Boo this thread! Boooooooooo!

Edit: Oops. I thought this was the other thread which started all this crap and brought about the change. Boo that thread! Booooo!

Agree. One soon adapts to lower resolutions - inconsistent performance undermines the essence of a game.

What was so inconsistent? Seriously. We still had the game running over 50 FPS redered at a significantly higher resolution. The small dips in FPS wasnt even noticeable unless you use a detector.

There should be 1080p 60 mode, 1080p super sampled from 1800p unlocked mode, 4K

Why not just give us a full options menu to make it our choice?

Resolutions 1080p/4K
Supersampling on/off
30fps lock. on/off
Hq Shadows. on/off

Just allow the user to enable and disable features, if a feature isn't available you just lock it out (so 4K can't supersample).

meerak

wow really ? :(

Just started playing this last week it looks unbelievable. So amazingly smooth. I hope the difference isn't that bad..

Performance over IQ was the right way to go.

Lol! no. Getting rid of supersampling to gain few fps is not the right way to go.

They should've kept SS in. The mode is unlocked framerate. It's not called "60fps mode".

But they had to take SS out because of the ignorant people who said "the Pro is performing slower than OG PS4 at 1080p" ignoring the fact that it's rendering at a much higher resolution.

if those who complained and didn't bother to even think that the game was running at a higher resolution, they shouldn't complain now that ND lowered it to 1080p which ignorants thought it was.

wow really ? :(

Just started playing this last week it looks unbelievable. So amazingly smooth. I hope the difference isn't that bad..

Still looks fine and runs smooth as well but there's more jaggies on things now like barbed wire and stuff. Not horrible at all but i really liked the super crisp 1800p version.

Why not just give us a full options menu to make it our choice?

Resolutions 1080p/4K
Supersampling on/off
30fps lock. on/off
Hq Shadows. on/off

Just allow the user to enable and disable features, if a feature isn't available you just lock it out (so 4K can't supersample).

And no one asked for butchering the 4K mode on 1080p displays.

Well that's what you get for not appreciating SS and not understanding it's cost.

Even the 4K mode, there might be few minor drops here and there and people will be ready to complain and compare it to OG PS4 and saying "the Pro is performing slower at 1080p" ignoring the fact that it's rendering at 4x the resolution!

Ignorants called it 1080p anyway because their TV was 1080p! So they got their "1080p".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stuff like this makes me glad that I've stuck with my OG PS4.
You are basically getting the worse version of almost all games by sticking by it. If the money is not an issue, Pro is an improvement no matter how you look at it. It's just that people want it to be an even bigger improvement than it already is.

RedAssedApe

Banned
huh...has nd confirmed yet?

doesn't make any sense for there to even be the 30 fps option toggle on 1080p tvs if it doesn't do anything

SaberEdge

I'm glad that the framerate should be locked at 60fps because there is a huge difference to me between a solid, consistent framerate and one that regularly drops below and therefor stutters. That said, I'm surprised they felt the need to drop all the way down to 1080p. I would have thought 1440p might have been doable. We are getting better shadows though, which is nice.

SaberEdge

What was so inconsistent? Seriously. We still had the game running over 50 FPS redered at a significantly higher resolution. The small dips in FPS wasnt even noticeable unless you use a detector.

There should be 1080p 60 mode, 1080p super sampled from 1800p unlocked mode, 4K

A fluctuating framerate that bounces around between 50 to 60fps is not consistent. There will be stutter and less consistent controller response. The dips are instantly noticeable to me. I'm very glad they went for a solid framerate as a top priority. I just wish they were able to achieve that while also giving us some better anti-aliasing or downsampling to clean up the image quality.

A fluctuating framerate that bounces around between 50 to 60fps is not consistent. There will be stutter and less consistent controller response. The dips are instantly noticeable to me. I'm very glad they went for a solid framerate as a top priority. I just wish they were able to achieve that while also giving us some better anti-aliasing or downsampling to clean up the image quality.
They should downsample from 1800p...

onQ123

Stuff like this makes me glad that I've stuck with my OG PS4.

Why? this patch make the game better then it is on the OG PS4 at every turn. the patch took away the flaw that made 1080P owners with PS4 Pro have to deal with 1080p & worse frame rate because the game was rendering at 1800p & 4K even on the 1080p TV. now 1080P owners have better frame rate & better shadows when playing on the PS4 Pro.

People was saying that they wanted a option to switch to PS4 base mode so that the game didn't play worse on PS4 Pro & they gave 1080p owners what is basically base mode but with the 30fps high quality mode now being a 60fps 1080p mode.

SaberEdge

They should downsample from 1800p...

I personally can't agree. If my choice is between the 1800p downsampling with a fluctuating framerate and 1080p with a solid, consistent framerate I will choose the latter.

For me games need to be free of screen tearing and have a solid framerate before they even think about improving the graphics.

However, if they could manage to give us a solid framerate with improved shadows and some downsampling from 1440p or just some better old fashioned anti-aliasing (MSAA or temporal anti-aliasing) then obviously that would be even better.

truth411

Why? this patch make the game better then it is on the OG PS4 at every turn. the patch took away the flaw that made 1080P owners with PS4 Pro have to deal with 1080p & worse frame rate because the game was rendering at 1800p & 4K even on the 1080p TV. now 1080P owners have better frame rate & better shadows when playing on the PS4 Pro.

People was saying that they wanted a option to switch to PS4 base mode so that the game didn't play worse on PS4 Pro & they gave 1080p owners what is basically base mode but with the 30fps high quality mode now being a 60fps 1080p mode.
They eliminated super sampling @30fps for 1080p owners!! The game was originally a 30fps game. Not good and shows the "gamers" don't know what they want in many cases. I was planning on replaying this game on my 1080p set, now it's pointless.

Top Bottom