• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Andrew.

Banned
Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the American engine culture (I'm an expert), but their graphic engine is a huge part of it. If you don't use your engine at 60fps/1080p, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American players, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase The Last of Us Remastered, nor will they purchase any of Naughty Dog's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but ND has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and give us The Last of Us in 60fps/1080p or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nice. I understood that reference.

iNvid02

Maybe they did put it in for preference only, but then realised they had extra power available so could make it a but better looking. Why is that crummy? There are clearly those that like 60fps, and there are those that don't mind 30fps with better graphics. Sounds like a win-win.

the patch details mean you're likely right, i think the lack of communication/media made me jump the gun. and i dont know why because i dont even have a ps4 yet. the fuck
KuGsj.gif

Gestault

If the shadows from the original press shots they put out match the 60 fps mode, then there's no news here aside from them adding more detail for the 30 fps mode. If anything, that's good news.

Jerkson

Banned
Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the American engine culture (I'm an expert), but their graphic engine is a huge part of it. If you don't use your engine at 60fps/1080p, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American players, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase The Last of Us Remastered, nor will they purchase any of Naughty Dog's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but ND has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and give us The Last of Us in 60fps/1080p or you can kiss your business goodbye.

They might as well just file for bankruptcy now, right?

...so we're suddenly pretending 30 FPS massively reducing resource usage is unusual? I don't get the freak out. They actually did something with the extra oomph from 30FPS, and they did it without taking 60 FPS out of the game.

Yep.

This is exactly what SHOULD happen with this sort of more; don't gimp it unnecessarily for 60fps if you're going to have a frame rate option. This should be welcomed, both by those who want the added smoothness and those who are happy to play at 30.

Primeau31

Not sure if it's just me or if someone else is slightly annoyed, but I just have this feeling like they could of done much more with this remaster...

If 343i can put H1 + H1A upped to 1080/60, H2 + H2Remake (also 1080/60) + Halo 3 upped to 1080/60, Halo 4 upped to 1080/60... Also have them run their OLD engines along with the new engines AND be able to switch back and forth for nostalgic reasons... then I don;t see why ND couldn't have at least made the game somewhat better.

Also, before anyone says well they only had 1 year and they were also working on Uncharted you've got to realize that 343i done all that I listed in 2 years (I'm guessing they started work after Halo 4 as they did say that was the last Halo game in the new trilogy for last gen) AND they are also working on Halo 5.

Yes, I know it's a remaster and it won't look HUGELY different, but it just seems like they didn't put in as much effort...

yup. cuz the Halo games were equally as technically challenging as The Last of Us. also, porting CELL code to more traditional GPU coding is just as easy. apples vs oranges here man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised that they added a benefit since they've been actively discouraging people from the 30fps mode. I'm curious how much of a difference it'll make since shadow detail options are sometimes very subtle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Think about it the other way around. How about if all those 1080p/30 games added an option for 60fps that reduce the graphical detail to achieve that? Wouldn't that be ideal for those of you wanting 60fps?

Not sure if it's just me or if someone else is slightly annoyed, but I just have this feeling like they could of done much more with this remaster...

If 343i can put H1 + H1A upped to 1080/60, H2 + H2Remake (also 1080/60) + Halo 3 upped to 1080/60, Halo 4 upped to 1080/60... Also have them run their OLD engines along with the new engines AND be able to switch back and forth for nostalgic reasons... then I don;t see why ND couldn't have at least made the game somewhat better.

Also, before anyone says well they only had 1 year and they were also working on Uncharted you've got to realize that 343i done all that I listed in 2 years (I'm guessing they started work after Halo 4 as they did say that was the last Halo game in the new trilogy for last gen) AND they are also working on Halo 5.

Yes, I know it's a remaster and it won't look HUGELY different, but it just seems like they didn't put in as much effort...

Yeah, porting from Cell is so easy, I would like to see 343i try.

ramuh

Am I the only one seeing this a good thing? It's an additional option much akin to a computer-based game. More options makes me happy.

Unless the 60fps version isn't locked I can't imagine that I'll prefer 30 but I'll try them both now just to see.

This kind of reminds me of how a few of the early 3DS games like RE:R gave you bonus effects if you turned off 3D. I'm disappointed that more games don't allow these kinds of trade-offs.

Orayn

Does this mean the PS4 tech is maxed out already?

Yes, the PS4 being able to do a more time-intensive task when you give it more time to work means that it's maxed out now. No more better-looking PS4 games, this is all you get. Sorry. :(

No.

Think about it the other way around. How about if all those 1080p/30 games added an option for 60fps that reduce the graphical detail to achieve that? Wouldn't that be ideal for those of you wanting 60fps?

Yes. It would and I would applaud the practice.

TalonJH

I honestly don't understand. Why would the PS4 need to sacrifice half the framerate to have the option of noticeably better shadows? This should be locked into the 60 FPS mode :l

It's less that it needs to sacrifice framerate and more that you have the option to play how you like. When lowering to 30fps, there was a little more juice so they said, "lets actually use that".

It's where console games should go in the future to be more like PC and just have a standard setting for the mainstream audience that doesn't want to tune.

Buburibon

Oh, no. How will I choose? Im honestly leaning toward 30fps now.

Me too, especially with the whole "it will never drop below 30fps" bit of the article. Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting the default mode to deliver a proper, unflinching 60fps experience.

Honestly, it would be kind of silly if they didn't take advantage of the extra overhead they had with a 30fps lock in some way.

And yeah, hopefully the ability for players to choose to sacrifice framerate for better effects, AA, etc. or vice versa becomes more common in games going forward.

Vlodril

Makes sense? why would they not take advantage of the horsepower they shave when people lock it in 30? pc users do that all the time too.

antitrop

Me too, especially with the whole "it will never drop below 30fps" bit of the article. Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting the default mode to deliver a proper, unflinching 60fps experience.

Stop taking people's word for it and just wait for the inevitable DF graph.

SerTapTap

Better shadows are great but I imagine when a lot of people play the game at 60fps for a while they won't ever wanna go back to 30.

I think that's a cool aspect of the 30 FPS lock. People see all this forum stuff about 60 FPS but now there's a super easy way on a console game to lock and see for yourself (and people saying 30FPS is fine are usually console-only).

Gundy2010

Here's some proof via the TLOU:R press kit:

1LVHPwJ.jpg

TLOU Declassified

Back to the topic though, having to make trade-off decisions are the biggest pain for me when playing video games. It always made me feel like I made the wrong decision at some point of the game, where one is clearly superior than the alternative choice...

Like someone mentioned, I wanted to fully utilize the photo mode to capture the most precious moment of this master piece, which is better suited for 30 fps with better visuals. Yet the smooth 60 fps gameplay is what made me want to double dip in the first place. OMG WHAT TO DO?!

Cool!

60 frames for me all the way. I constantly lower graphics settings on my PC to increase frame rate.

No matter how nice fancy graphics are, your brain eventually gets used to them. A high frame rate stays awesome THE WHOLE GAME.

Orayn

Unless the 60fps version isn't locked I can't imagine that I'll prefer 30 but I'll try them both now just to see.

This kind of reminds me of how a few of the early 3DS games like RE:R gave you bonus effects if you turned off 3D. I'm disappointed that more games don't allow these kinds of trade-offs.

IIRC Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate had a somewhat better framerate and did horizontal downsampling from 800x240 to 400x240 if you disabled 3D from the menu.

To set things straight, are they saying 60 retains last gen's shadows while 30 gets a boost? Or 30 retains last gen's shadows and 60 gets a downgrade?

Kssio_Aug

Honestly, this should become a pratice. Im not saying that console games should have full settings customization like PC games, but a option to 30 or 60fps would always be welcome I think.

Any game that requires you to aim a gun benefits from 60fps over 30.

All day everyday

I think that's a cool aspect of the 30 FPS lock. People see all this forum stuff about 60 FPS but now there's a super easy way on a console game to lock and see for yourself (and people saying 30FPS is fine are usually console-only).

Once youtube starts supporting 60fps universally it will make for some great comparisons too. We finally have a situation where we can directly compare exact sections at 60 and 30

x-Lundz-x

It does, as stated numerous times by the devs and people who have played it.

Top Bottom