• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2's player count after 45 days vs other Sony games in the same timeframe

Bodomism

Banned
muwn48ydn0g51.png

TLOU2
7 days - 4.04M
45 days - 5.83M = +1.79M new players

Spider-Man
7 days - 4.33M
45 days - 7.86M = +3.53M new players

GOW
7 days - 3.38M
45 days - 6.23M = +2.85M new players

It doesn't surprise me if Ghost Of Tsushima will overtake TLOU2 player count and sales at the end with that harsh drop of TLOU2 leg momentum.

ksdixon

The great dismay of TLOU2 is that the gameplay is still more TLOU1 goodness, just expanded with jump and crawl etc. Wrapped-up in a bad story, IMO, but that's why I'm still holding-out hope for that's standalone multiplayer Factions game that's supposed to be coming

I'm still shocked that no one talked about scummy marketing tactics and how they hid the fact that you play as Abby and they've promoted Joel in almost all trailers. That is the number 1 reason why it received so many sales at launch and shortly after and why it's going downhill. While I did not hate TLOU2 fuck ND for pulling this shit.

Arachnid

I'm still shocked that no one talked about scummy marketing tactics and how they hid the fact that you play as Abby and they've promoted Joel in almost all trailers. That is the number 1 reason why it received so many sales at launch and shortly after and why it's going downhill. While I did not hate TLOU2 fuck ND for pulling this shit.
Yeah, forcing reviewers to keep shut about half the game was lame. It's not like playing as Abby was set up as some big twist. It was just a perspective shift. That, and them trying to copywrite youtubers into submission was super shitty.

Game was good gameplay wise though.

trikster40

To be fair, Spider-Man came DLC came out one month after launch with 2 more packs each month after. That pretty much guaranteed high player count for at least 3-4 months.

Ghost is just awesome.

With no multiplayer, people finished TLOU2 and put it down. I did my second 3/4 play through to get my plat. Curious what the count will be now with grounded and perma death modes released.

Well, if they do decide to make a TLOU3, they can't rely on the same marketing tactic at least to the same effectiveness.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, TLOU2 just doesn't have a whole lot of replay value. Once you're done with it, you're done for the most part. Unless you're a hardcore fan. But the majority sound like they played through it and put it down. I'd like to think GoT will definitely carry on for a longer period. Hell, I got it on release and I'm still not done because I'm pampering it as best as I can and getting EVERY SINGLE THING, haha.

Bodomism

Banned
To be fair, Spider-Man came DLC came out one month after launch with 2 more packs each month after. That pretty much guaranteed high player count for at least 3-4 months.

Ghost is just awesome.

With no multiplayer, people finished TLOU2 and put it down. I did my second 3/4 play through to get my plat. Curious what the count will be now with grounded and perma death modes released.
Dude this is not concurrent but total player count

wvnative

Disingenuous.

Other Sony games have either open worlds with more to do or an online mode in case of uncharted 4, Last of us 2 is linear with no multiplayer or any significant replay value to speak of.

I hated the game, but there is wayyyyyyy too much effort online to tear this game down for stupid reasons

muwn48ydn0g51.png

TLOU2
7 days - 4.04M
45 days - 5.83M = +1.79M new players

Spider-Man
7 days - 4.33M
45 days - 7.86M = +3.53M new players

GOW
7 days - 3.38M
45 days - 6.23M = +2.85M new players

It doesn't surprise me if Ghost Of Tsushima will overtake TLOU2 player count and sales at the end with that harsh drop of TLOU2 leg momentum.

I'm waiting for Ghost of tsushima to make similar numbers, apart from it being deserved, the game is blasting everywhere

Rikoi

Ghost is just awesome.

The number is not a >concurrent< number of players though, it's talking about total unique players that played the game, what you are talking about is "returning players", which is showed in a separated stat in the same graph.

Thaedolus

I wish I could be playing New Game+ right now but I let my buddy borrow my PS4 over a month ago and he hasn’t even finished FF7 yet

Arthimura

That doesn't mean anything. I stopped playing the game too after the first week because i finished the story, that doesn't mean i didn't enjoy the game, it's my GOTY so far.

I will probably play it again soon to get the platinum trophy and check the new update.

Madflavor

I mean this is by no means a disaster. Part 2 did extremely well in sales make no mistake. But there's going to be long-term financial repercussions for the direction the story took. Whether that's a good or bad thing, or whether you just don't care at all, depends on the individual I guess. This is not to say Part 3 will flop, but like I said before, it's definitely not going to have the same level of excitement as Part 2.

Part 2 was riding off the wave of the widely beloved Part 1. Part 3 will be riding off the wave of a much more divisive game, that is already showing it doesn't have as strong legs as other big PS4 releases.

Arthimura

Total player count not the concurrent player count

TLOU2 is a sequel, so it's total player count is naturally limited by how many people played the first game.

It doesn't make sense to compare directly with brand new games like Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, or a soft reboot like God of War 2018.

Rikoi

So...you just expect Naughty Dog to just reveal all of what it's considering to be the major plot points of the game? So there is zero surprise for the player? What thought process is this.

Bodomism

Banned
TLOU2 is a sequel, so it's total player count is naturally limited by how many people played the first game.

It doesn't make sense to compare directly with brand new games like Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, or a soft reboot like God of War 2018.

All evidence points to TLOU2 having brutal word of mouth, hopefully this triggers some soul searching within ND.
I loved the setting, the gameplay (a lot!), the graphics, the sound design (one of my fav EVER), the level design, the overall feeling with the weapons. But not a fan of the story and the themes, I really wanted more of old characters stories and more deepening of the world/lore.
I think that a PS5 version and multiplayer will "save" the face for ND and they can go away without addressing criticism about the game story or working conditions.
Late generation games have little legs, it's not new. TLOU Remastered on PS4 sold nearly double the copies of TLOU PS3 for examples. Like 12-14m vs 7m

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loved the setting, the gameplay (a lot!), the graphics, the sound design (one of my fav EVER), the level design, the overall feeling with the weapons. But not a fan of the story and the themes, I really wanted more of old characters stories and more deepening of the world/lore.
I think that a PS5 version and multiplayer will "save" the face for ND and they can go away without addressing criticism about the game story or working conditions.
Late generation games have little legs, it's not new. TLOU Remastered on PS4 sold nearly double the copies of TLOU PS3 for examples. Like 12-14m vs 7m

Nice cope.

Whitecrow

Banned
Tlou2 is amazing. Im sorry for people that don't wanna play because of some stupid x reason, they don't know what they're missing.
You know, fun is not everything on life.

A lot of people, myself included, will gladly miss this in order to give an important message to the industry.

You are free to have fun while letting others tell you what you have to think.

squarealex

TLOU2 is a amazing games.
Just left people crying or hate cause they dont have the sequel they want. Maybe this people prefer a TLOU sequel like UC3, no big value, or same useless story like the first one.

Last edited:

Arthimura

A lot of people who played RDR2 didn't play the first game, RDR2 is a prequel and it doesn't heavily relies on the first game. Different than TLOU2.

Also, RDR2 is a Rockstar game that was released for PC too, the first game is console exclusive, so it's natural that it would outsold RDR1.

Bodomism

Banned
TLOU remastered was given away for free in so many Sony PS4 promotions and the holidays sales price was around $4.99-$9.99.

Splatoon 2 with 10M sales generated more revenue than TLOU with 20M sales lol.

Bodomism

Banned
A lot of people who played RDR2 didn't play the first game, RDR2 is a prequel and it doesn't heavily relies on the first game. Different than TLOU2.

Also, RDR2 is a Rockstar game that was released for PC too, the first game is console exclusive, so it's natural that it would outsold RDR1.
Dude, PC version wasn't released during that 12 days.

Vawn

Banned
Looks good still. Fantastic game.

You have to remember one thing though. What happened about one month after this huge PS4 exclusive released? Right. Another huge PS4 exclusive released. It is obvious many PS4 players finished TLOU2 quickly and moved on to Ghost of Tsushima.

Top Bottom